New sofa

theshed

Any tips on places to go and places to avoid when buying a new sofa?

will happily spend 2k or slightly above on the sofa but don’t want it falling to bits after a few months 

I know some people will recommend a place and others will have had a bad experience there but thought I’d ask before I bought something 

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

Any tips on places to go and places to avoid when buying a new sofa?

will happily spend 2k or slightly above on the sofa but don’t want it falling to bits after a few months 

I know some people will recommend a place and others will have had a bad experience there but thought I’d ask before I bought something 

Wee bit advice and im not being smart, make sure it will get in your house, without pulling it to bits,

which happened to me a few years ago, think most of the big companies are ok.

Shanks said no

Having been through the horrible  experience only a few months ago I can only sympathise with you. Absolute in pain in the arse salesmen and my wife having very expensive taste has left the experience etched in my mind. Many strong words were exchanged before we agreed on one that was 50% over my intended budget.

we bought from Sofology and found their sales team to be less in your face.

11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Wee bit advice and im not being smart, make sure it will get in your house, without pulling it to bits,

which happened to me a few years ago, think most of the big companies are ok.

I mind the hassle I had trying to get my sofa in a few years back as my living room door is not wide at all

Not looking forward to trying to get it back out 

Governor Tarkin

Got a cracking sofa from Next out at Straiton.

Their website is excellent for working out what you need/want/sizes, etc.

We got exactly what we wanted and it came in at under 2 grand.

Would recommend. :thumbsup:

Edited by Governor Tarkin

rudi must stay

Got a sofa bed from Harvey's last year

Very straightforward customer service (didnt try and upsell or anything) and a nice sofa too

Although one day when I have the cash I will head to Sofaology. That looks amazing

39 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Got a sofa bed from Harvey's last year

Very straightforward customer service (didnt try and upsell or anything) and a nice sofa too

Although one day when I have the cash I will head to Sofaology. That looks amazing

We got a corner sofa from Harvey’s and they were spot on . Had it about 6 months and very happy with it. 

Had some amazing stuff from Next Clearance outlets. Sofas that could cost over a grand (at least) selling for couple of hundred.

Would highly recommend looking there.

1 hour ago, stu said:

Got mine from Sofology as well.

Cracking sofa and it was hassle free.  Sales folk were not in your face..

Agree. Very helpful. The delivery men made up our chairs and took the 'wrappings' away

26 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Sofolgy leather garbage.

3 years old and its peeling because its shite quality. After care sales non existent!

Avoid!

Sofology owned by DFS apparently, may have a bearing on the quality. Guy I used to work with bought a leather sofa from DFS, lasted a year!

Do your research on who you're buying it from. Sofology are now owned by DFS. You'll get as good a sofa for £1k as you will £2k. 

I'm pretty sure all the big name sofa shops are much the same in terms of quality and lack of service. If you buy leather you can expect it to show up damaged and in need of repair. 

Leather sofas are shite. Cold in the morning, you stick to them if you fall asleep on them and just generally less comfy than a proper suite. 

I bought my recliner, not leather, from DFS about 5 years ago. No problems at all. We tried to find what we would find comfy when we were in Edinburgh and bought it online. A 2 and a 3 seater, just over the 2K mark. No complaints at all.

14 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Leather sofas are shite. Cold in the morning, you stick to them if you fall asleep on them and just generally less comfy than a proper suite. 

I agree. My wee boys only 4 though so I wouldn't have anything else just now. Practicalities win.

I’ll get pelters for this, but....  I’m very happy with my Ikea sofas.  10 year guarantee too.

Got M&S ones before that and was never happy with them.

7 hours ago, Bauld said:

Had some amazing stuff from Next Clearance outlets. Sofas that could cost over a grand (at least) selling for couple of hundred.

Would highly recommend looking there.

Same here. Would never pay full price for a sofa. They're one of the biggest cons going.

I've got a 5 seat leather corner sofa that came from M&S originally. Been at my parents for 8 years and now in my place for 2. Still in great condition and extremely comfy. Can't recommend them enough.

The Real Maroonblood
17 hours ago, stu said:

Got mine from Sofology as well.

Cracking sofa and it was hassle free.  Sales folk were not in your face..

This.

15 hours ago, FWJ said:

I’ll get pelters for this, but....  I’m very happy with my Ikea sofas.  10 year guarantee too.

Got M&S ones before that and was never happy with them.

Nowt wrong with Ikea sofa's. 

Anybody else at an age where you hate buying stuff, it's not the actual product but the whole process??  Buying a car is a nightmare, I used to love it, big bits of furniture like a sofa and a mobile phone is also in that bracket.  The folk that sell them always have a talent to make you feel like they're robbing you with their fake smile and "I'll speak to my manager" shite.

After having an absolute nightmare ordering a sofa from a big company.

(sofas are made to order. waited months. delay after delay. just before was due to deliver they completely cancelled the order)

So I needed something good quality and quickly. Found a place in Perth that came to the rescue, all their furniture is there in stock and they delivered efficiently.

Its all brand new but end of line etc. Worth a look.

http://www.furniturefactoryclearancecentre.co.uk/