Lothian buses

Crete

13 hours ago, Chester™ said:

I was in Manchester at the weekend. The general bus system I thought was poor but the tram (and whats planned for it) was excellent.

Sure they've said it was the 26?

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The 31?  Will be interesting seeing them going through Lasswade. 

I can't be certain but the new buses I have seen have a CE code on them (Central depot) whereas the 26 is based at Marine (MA). 

If you don't know what I mean - see below.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvery_Moon

• Herbert.

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Gorgie

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

I can't be certain but the new buses I have seen have a CE code on them (Central depot) whereas the 26 is based at Marine (MA). 

If you don't know what I mean - see below.

According to their fleet list that is a 07 plate.

Many, many years ago I was regularly sent to work at Alexanders of Falkirk where double deckers are built 

by the manufacturer that I worked for.

This was to oversee repairs that Alexanders imagined were down to the chassis manufacturer and not their fault.

I was present on many occasions when they tested the stability of double deckers on a hydraulic tilting table.

The results were simply astonishing, the lean angle before topple is absolutely amazing.

When the wheels eventually left the ground the bus was caught by very thick metal beam with old seat bases tied to it.

It was a hell of a place to work. I"m very pleased to report I was responsible for two strikes.

Up the workers.

WTF is demarcation.

18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

According to their fleet list that is a 07 plate.

Correct. Was just using that to illustrate the depot codes.

The new buses also have CE codes on them. 1063 upwards.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Correct. Was just using that to illustrate the depot codes.

The new buses also have CE codes on them. 1063 upwards.

?

21 hours ago, Chester™ said:

I was in Manchester at the weekend. The general bus system I thought was poor but the tram (and whats planned for it) was excellent.

Sure they've said it was the 26?

Hope it means fewer buses as theyre bigger then. Not unusual to see 3 x 26’s right behind each other all going the same way at the same time down my way. 

Also. 1 hr 20 mins from Seton Sands (about 12 miles or so) to St.Andrews Square is not a great advert for public transport. 

26 minutes ago, been here before said:

Giving the most self entitled biggest bullying pricks on the road bigger vehicles....

The Highway Code entitles them

been here before
2 hours ago, Cade said:

The Highway Code entitles them

To not use indicators? To just pull out regardless? To try and intimidate other road users? To ignore their mirrors? 

On 04/02/2019 at 21:03, Cade said:

Despite the new buses carrying more passengers in total, the placement of the side doors has meant that they can only carry one wheelchair or buggy.

Bit of an oversight.

Good I used to drive for Lothian and the amount of people with buggies who made a scene when there was a buggy / wheelchair already on the bus was unreal. The poor wee mites had to fold their buggies. It’s unbelievable how many chavy Mums can’t fold a buggy. Bet if they had a car they’d fold it nae bother. Don’t even start me in the ones with Buggies the size of a small car. Honestly these snowflakes wouldn’t have survived pre 2000. Mind when buses took no buggies unless folded no one died as a result. Folk just got on with it. Glad I left that job bunch o chavs that get on the council taxis. 

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Good I used to drive for Lothian and the amount of people with buggies who made a scene when there was a buggy / wheelchair already on the bus was unreal. The poor wee mites had to fold their buggies. It’s unbelievable how many chavy Mums can’t fold a buggy. Bet if they had a car they’d fold it nae bother. Don’t even start me in the ones with Buggies the size of a small car. Honestly these snowflakes wouldn’t have survived pre 2000. Mind when buses took no buggies unless folded no one died as a result. Folk just got on with it. Glad I left that job bunch o chavs that get on the council taxis. 

You would recommend the job then?

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

What about prams mate?

14 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

New buses are a beautiful shade of Maroon and White 

Madder is the correct name for the beautiful shade of maroon on LRT.

I had my Datsun Bluebird repainted with madder paint out the back door at Seafield. Complete with thick gold coach line. The only thing that was missing was the cat of arms on the drivers door.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
14 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Madder is the correct name for the beautiful shade of maroon on LRT.

I had my Datsun Bluebird repainted with madder paint out the back door at Seafield. Complete with thick gold coach line. The only thing that was missing was the cat of arms on the drivers door.

Is that like ganesha?

8 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

How do you fold a car??

On 06/02/2019 at 06:11, Erik said:

Be interesting to see how much of the time saved by allowing folk to exit off the middle door is then lost again in trying to deal with the folk who've come on the middle door for free......

We had middle doors for decades and it was never a real problem. Add in the addition of CCTV and I can't see it being a problem at all.

I use to get on a LRT bus from school, where you would have 30 or so teenagers with no-sense of queuing, cram to try get on the bus and I think I witnessed people get on via the middle doors 3 or 4 times - ironically, they weren't fare dodging as everyone had a bus pass but rather getting on the bus faster. A lot of places allow this and have numerous places to tap your bus staff, not just at the drivers door - makes the whole process faster. 

Excellent news!  We can now fit more smelly cretinous wankers who will cough and splutter all journey or sit and talk loudly on their phones in the bus.  Clearly 60 smelly people was not enough to have in one space they required 40 extra stink bombs.

• 1 month later...
Shanks said no

New 100 seat Enviro400XLB buses will start operating on Services 11 

Service 11 operates from Ocean Terminal to Hyvots Bank 

Silvery_Moon
4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

New 100 seat Enviro400XLB buses will start operating on Services 11 

Service 11 operates from Ocean Terminal to Hyvots Bank 

They were on today. Massive buses. The 16 will soon get them too.

7 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

They were on today. Massive buses. The 16 will soon get them too.

Should be fun seeing that turn at the lights from Greenbank Crescent into Comiston Road,   as well as fight it's way through Morningside.

Redford Road into Redford Drive and Redford Road into Oxgangs Road North will be challenging.

Edited by Victorian

ArcticJambo

On the train through to Partick on Monday I noticed a bunch in an industrial estate lot just past Newbridge; they looked massive, even from there.  :berra:

I was behind one last week, going through Gorgie, along Calder Road and it turned off going down towards Longstone.  It had 'Route Training' as its destination, so maybe they'll be used on the 33 route.

On 05/02/2019 at 15:37, Herbert said:

I heard from a stagecoach driver that lothian drivers get £20-30 a hour overtime. Any drivers confirm that?

Weekend over time yes. Its about £26ph

Silvery_Moon

Got one today on the 16. It really hits you when you go upstairs just how big the bus is. The back row looks miles away. Had to remember to get off at the middle door. That is still catching people out which is no surprise.

Silvery_Moon
On 12/03/2019 at 00:09, Lemongrab said:

I was behind one last week, going through Gorgie, along Calder Road and it turned off going down towards Longstone.  It had 'Route Training' as its destination, so maybe they'll be used on the 33 route.

Hopefully we will see them on other routes at some point. I believe they have been getting tested on all double decker routes. I saw one at Juniper Green doing route testing as well.

On 06/02/2019 at 08:10, jb102 said:

Many, many years ago I was regularly sent to work at Alexanders of Falkirk where double deckers are built 

by the manufacturer that I worked for.

This was to oversee repairs that Alexanders imagined were down to the chassis manufacturer and not their fault.

I was present on many occasions when they tested the stability of double deckers on a hydraulic tilting table.

The results were simply astonishing, the lean angle before topple is absolutely amazing.

When the wheels eventually left the ground the bus was caught by very thick metal beam with old seat bases tied to it.

It was a hell of a place to work. I"m very pleased to report I was responsible for two strikes.

Up the workers.

WTF is demarcation.

Out of interest, do they still make buses there ?

The workers ****ed most of the industry, through greed, this country had, in the 60's and 70's.

Led to the tories, ****ing us all, without a care, us they all got very much richer.

Strange, to brag about, something you couldn't mediate through negotiation

1 hour ago, Jambothump said:

Out of interest, do they still make buses there ?

The workers ****ed most of the industry, through greed, this country had, in the 60's and 70's.

Led to the tories, ****ing us all, without a care, us they all got very much richer.

Strange, to brag about, something you couldn't mediate through negotiation

Yes they are still going strong. In and out of admin and liquidation but still claim to be at the forefront  of mass transportation manufacturing. 

The work force just would not entertain what they saw as subcontracting. 

The 2 strikes I was responsible for were “moving a vehicle” which was a drivers job and “jump starting “ a bus which was an electricians job. 

I worked for the manufacturer and was their to repair what was normally their **** up. 

Hellish place. 

45 minutes hand washing time before breaks and clocking out. 

Theft was unbelievable  as was malicious damage and sabotage. 

Why should I mediate with anybody when their default position is to down tools and sunbathe in the ****ing car park. 

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

11 seems an odd route to use them on. It's never busy.

Never been on one at toll cross for the schools getting out?

• 2 months later...
Silvery_Moon
On 05/02/2019 at 20:40, davemclaren said:

The 31?  Will be interesting seeing them going through Lasswade. 

These buses are now in service on the 31.

Shanks said no
21 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

These buses are now in service on the 31.

Got one this morning 

possibly to do with St Johns road in Corstorphine being the most polluted street in Scotland.

Lothian buses need to ensure they have the most efficient vehicles serving this street.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

On 14/03/2019 at 18:02, TheStig said:

Never been on one at toll cross for the schools getting out?

Or the bottom of Lothian Road around 5.15pm

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. Will be a nightmare having to slalom round these feckin tourists with their backpacks the size of a feckin wardrobe. 

I nearly twatted a bloke yesterday who crossed the road in front of me reading a feckin book. 

Looked French or possibly Italian. But he understood feck off ya radge as he nearly shat his breeks.

:glorious:

See these cretins have been playing funny buggers by wasting thousands on pointless private number plates for their growing leisure hire division.     Arseholes.

44 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. Will be a nightmare having to slalom round these feckin tourists with their backpacks the size of a feckin wardrobe. 

I nearly twatted a bloke yesterday who crossed the road in front of me reading a feckin book. 

Looked French or possibly Italian. But he understood feck off ya radge as he nearly shat his breeks.

:pleasing:

The Gorgie
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. And guess where they got the names from for their private number plates. From the names of the companies who complained about the greedy wanks in the first place. 

I heard this yesterday but it could be shite. I'm sure someone on here could confirm. 

Arseholes. 

Now people will truly understand why the drivers want a strike. Those at the top are starting to show what they are all about. Drunk on power!

The Real Maroonblood
51 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Now people will truly understand why the drivers want a strike. Those at the top are starting to show what they are all about. Drunk on power!

You’re spot on.

I have a relative who works for them.

It’s all brilliant on the PR front but in the real world it’s shite.

The Gorgie
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’re spot on.

I have a relative who works for them.

It’s all brilliant on the PR front but in the real world it’s shite.

I know it all too well, the good pay has most of the drivers by the nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
Maroon Sailor

Think their members have voted for strike action during the festival. Not very happy bunnies with the management apparently and morale is pretty low seemingly.

davemclaren

Anyone else find the continual bus stop announcements on these new buses very irritating or is it just me?

25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Anyone else find the continual bus stop announcements on these new buses very irritating or is it just me?

Handy for tourists, the blind or the geographically challenged.

Just trying to make buses more like the London underground.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Cade said:

Handy for tourists, the blind or the geographically challenged.

Just trying to make buses more like the London underground.

I agree... but still irritating given the short distances between stops in Edinburgh.They have them on buses in Germany as well but they have stops more spaced out.