Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thumper

Orwell Hearts - Chairman Quotes - Right Laddies

Recommended Posts

Thumper

Right laddies.

 

Speaking to some of the boys on the bus about this on Friday.  Anyone who travelled with the Orwell Hearts in the halcyon days of the eighties, nineties and noughties will remember the inimitable chairman with his speeches, quotes and misquotes.  What are your favourites from the great man?  Here's one of mine to kick us off.

 

JH - "Federation bash next week lads.  Usual stuff, comedians, strippers, that sort of thing."

 

TD - "Strippers? Oh lovely darts!"

 

JH - "What's that son?  You playing darts?"

 

Bound to be many more classic quotes out there for folk to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RealMaroonCF

Hunter was classic.

 

His "riyt ladz" before announcing our non cup winning parade routes on the way to losing cup.finals was epic banter.

 

The maroon blazer was top anaw. Rip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RealMaroonCF

The BMC days b3fore the games 3ith the strippers and that geordie comic were absolute craciing6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rupert Custard
13 hours ago, RealMaroonCF said:

The BMC days b3fore the games 3ith the strippers and that geordie comic were absolute craciing6

In hindsight, the best of my Hearts days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RealMaroonCF

John was well respected in the federation at that time.

 

I wasn't his biggest fan buy I have to applaud the fact that as a federation member the supporters club buses who travelled everywhere got the tickets ahead of the rest. Was class following hearts for those seasons in the late nineties.

 

The week before the rangers cup final where we travelled to Aberdeen was marvellous.  Half the guys didn't even go.yo the game....they just got p1shed and laughed all the way home at Hibs and the fact albertz got himself banned for the cup final....somethi g I believe etched our name on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jean Louis Valois

I have great memories of the Orwell when I was a youngster. John was always really good to my Dad and I regarding cup tickets etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 05/02/2019 at 08:41, Rupert Custard said:

In hindsight, the best of my Hearts days. 

 

How come?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephane Grappelli
On 04/02/2019 at 19:06, RealMaroonCF said:

Hunter was classic.

 

His "riyt ladz" before announcing our non cup winning parade routes on the way to losing cup.finals was epic banter.

 

The maroon blazer was top anaw. Rip

 

Always wanted one of those blazers myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
braveheart

Is this a tribute thread to Mr Hunter?Is he still with us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
18 hours ago, braveheart said:

Is this a tribute thread to Mr Hunter?Is he still with us?

 

It is indeed. Just celebrating some of his classic quotes after talking to some of the boys about it last Friday with the Killie game.

 

Still with us as far as I know.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephane Grappelli
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:15, Jean Louis Valois said:

I have great memories of the Orwell when I was a youngster. John was always really good to my Dad and I regarding cup tickets etc.

 

Heard a few folk saying similar.  Really well run bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper

Speaking to some of the boys in the fans bar about this yesterday.  Apparently in 1998 there was an introduction for the "managerial cup winning legends, Jim Brown and Billy Jefferies".

 

Maybe @DETTY29 could shed some light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DETTY29

I was late getting to that night out so missed John getting the names mixed up.

 

One Davie Weir was getting our PoY and during his speech mentioned all the different nationalities and languages but Lockie's was the most difficult to make out.

 

30 mins later, wee Robbo arrives, asked to say a few words only to repeat same story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 24/02/2019 at 13:19, DETTY29 said:

I was late getting to that night out so missed John getting the names mixed up.

 

One Davie Weir was getting our PoY and during his speech mentioned all the different nationalities and languages but Lockie's was the most difficult to make out.

 

30 mins later, wee Robbo arrives, asked to say a few words only to repeat same story.

 

Cheers mate.  Did the Chairman have anything to say about that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper

Did the Orwell used to run a bus to Easter Road for the derby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trained One

We stopped running buses to Easter Road shortly after the Orwell closed.  Maybe just a couple from the Ettrick after this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
50 minutes ago, Trained One said:

We stopped running buses to Easter Road shortly after the Orwell closed.  Maybe just a couple from the Ettrick after this.  

You are running out of ‘home’ pubs. 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132goals1958
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

You are running out of ‘home’ pubs. 😳

 

Indeed . The triumvirate of the Orwell Gillsland and Ettrick had us spoiled for choice. Reminds me of the song “ Even the bad times were good “ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LouReed
On 09/02/2019 at 13:19, braveheart said:

Is this a tribute thread to Mr Hunter?Is he still with us?

John Hunter is still with us and regularly to be seen in The Colinton Inn drinking and occasionally arguing with his old pal Wilf, who any who travelled with the Ace Of Hearts in the 90s will remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 06/03/2019 at 07:23, Trained One said:

We stopped running buses to Easter Road shortly after the Orwell closed.  Maybe just a couple from the Ettrick after this.  

 

Cheers mate.  Think I was on to and from ER in about 2002, would that be right?  @DETTY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephane Grappelli
On 06/03/2019 at 09:37, 132goals1958 said:

 

Indeed . The triumvirate of the Orwell Gillsland and Ettrick had us spoiled for choice. Reminds me of the song “ Even the bad times were good “ 

 

Remember being in all three on the evening of 16 May 1998!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 06/03/2019 at 07:23, Trained One said:

We stopped running buses to Easter Road shortly after the Orwell closed.  Maybe just a couple from the Ettrick after this.  

 

Thanks.

 

Does the bus still run these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephane Grappelli
On 06/03/2019 at 11:24, LouReed said:

John Hunter is still with us and regularly to be seen in The Colinton Inn drinking and occasionally arguing with his old pal Wilf, who any who travelled with the Ace Of Hearts in the 90s will remember.

 

Glad to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvery_Moon

I remember him at John Robertson's  'This is your Life' getting a bit confused about one of Robbo's most famous goals. It was when he was describing Robbo's late equaliser at Easter Road when Robbo famously quoted 'it ain't over till the fat striker scores'. John changed it to Robbo scoring a winner and saying 'it ain't over till the fat man sings'! :)

 

Top bloke though. Very passionate about Hearts.

Edited by Silvery_Moon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephane Grappelli
20 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

I remember him at John Robertson's  'This is your Life' getting a bit confused about one of Robbo's most famous goals. It was when he was describing Robbo's late equaliser at Easter Road when Robbo famously quoted 'it ain't over till the fat striker scores'. John changed it to Robbo scoring a winner and saying 'it ain't over till the fat man sings'! :)

 

Top bloke though. Very passionate about Hearts.

 

I remember seeing a video of that Robbo tribute, think Gourlay lent us it.

 

Totally agree about the subject of the thread, great passion for, and knowledge of, Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The White Cockade
On 06/03/2019 at 11:24, LouReed said:

John Hunter is still with us and regularly to be seen in The Colinton Inn drinking and occasionally arguing with his old pal Wilf, who any who travelled with the Ace Of Hearts in the 90s will remember.

Wilf still on the go? Remember him well from the Ace of Hearts bus in the 80’s along with Tam Watson Dode Davis Billy Cowan Rab Jones and many others 

Goid times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 14/03/2019 at 19:53, The White Cockade said:

Wilf still on the go? Remember him well from the Ace of Hearts bus in the 80’s along with Tam Watson Dode Davis Billy Cowan Rab Jones and many others 

Goid times 

 

No sure mate.  Tagged @DETTY29 and @Trained One so hopefully they can shed some light.  Very clued up on the Orwell Hearts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DETTY29

Yep Wilf is still around.

 

I only tend to see him once a year out our AGM, so last time would have been July.

 

He's also a Willie Bauld Memorial stalwart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnB
On 09/02/2019 at 13:19, braveheart said:

Is this a tribute thread to Mr Hunter?Is he still with us?

John has a ST in Section C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
On 16/03/2019 at 09:50, DETTY29 said:

Yep Wilf is still around.

 

I only tend to see him once a year out our AGM, so last time would have been July.

 

He's also a Willie Bauld Memorial stalwart.

 

Cheers @DETTY29

 

What does he do for the Willie Bauld Memorial?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LouReed

Maybe I should have been more explicit, when I said John and Wilf are regularly to be seen in The Collie Inn, that this indicates both are alive.😀🤔

Edited by LouReed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lemongrab
On 13/03/2019 at 22:24, Silvery_Moon said:

I remember him at John Robertson's  'This is your Life' getting a bit confused about one of Robbo's most famous goals. It was when he was describing Robbo's late equaliser at Easter Road when Robbo famously quoted 'it ain't over till the fat striker scores'. John changed it to Robbo scoring a winner and saying 'it ain't over till the fat man sings'! :)

 

Top bloke though. Very passionate about Hearts.

About 1:24:25.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvery_Moon
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

About 1:24:25.

 

Brilliant. Thanks for posting. Almost exactly as I remember it.

 

Two things you notice there. Robbo's face as John talks about it being 1-1 in injury time (he knows John is wrong as we were 2-1 down) and some of the audience joining in with the correct quote (fat striker scores) as poor John quotes that wrong. :)

Edited by Silvery_Moon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
1 hour ago, LouReed said:

Maybe I should have been more explicit, when I said John and Wilf are regularly to be seen in The Collie Inn, that this indicates both are alive.😀🤔

I spent about two hours talking with Wilf in the Connemara(sp?) the night after the Bordeaux match. Very polite gent iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LouReed

Yes, he's very polite and quietly spoken.  Both are good company, but occasionally John gets on his high horse and aims his ire in Wilf's direction. 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thumper
15 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Brilliant. Thanks for posting. Almost exactly as I remember it.

 

Two things you notice there. Robbo's face as John talks about it being 1-1 in injury time (he knows John is wrong as we were 2-1 down) and some of the audience joining in with the correct quote (fat striker scores) as poor John quotes that wrong. :)

 

Brilliant mate.  It's those sort of misquotes I'm after!

 

There must be more out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×