Kelvingrove Museum

Bauld

I'm a regular but it is particularly good at the moment. 

Went today to see the Diplodocus (dippy) on tour from London and also got to look at some Da Vinci drawings also on temporary display from the royal collection. 

Quite an amazing day. Recommend it. 

Never been to to kelvingrove museum itself.

But surrounding area's are top notch.

Its not all parkheid,govan  and watch yer car mister.

Lovely city,broaden your horizons ?

Thunderstruck

Kelvingrove is an excellent Gallery and the Lunchtime Organ Recitals are worth going along to hear. The tribute to Bowie when he died got quite a bit of coverage. 

The Hunterian with various sites around the Uni and now in the Kelvin Hall Annex is all within a few minutes’ walk and is mostly free. 

https://www.gla.ac.uk/hunterian/

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is it easy to get parked near KM? A place I have never visited but fancy taking the kids. 

Depends when you go really. With it's current attractions only just opened you couldn't get near the car park but we parked on a street 5 minutes walk away no trouble. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Bauld said:

Depends when you go really. With it's current attractions only just opened you couldn't get near the car park but we parked on a street 5 minutes walk away no trouble. 

Cheers. Told the kids we would visit the Lego shop soon so can do both in the same day.

13 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. Told the kids we would visit the Lego shop soon so can do both in the same day.

Brewdog pub directly across the road from the museum as well. ;)

On 04/02/2019 at 00:57, Tott said:

Never been to to kelvingrove museum itself.

But surrounding area's are top notch.

Its not all parkheid,govan  and watch yer car mister.

Lovely city,broaden your horizons ?

Glasgow has some stunning architecture.

The Clyde is a great example of good regeneration .

• 2 weeks later...
Carl Fredrickson

Visited it today - a long queue before it opened!

We arrived a bit early so took the kids a walk a wee bit along the river and also showed them the old Kelvin Hall and told them stories from my past about it.

First visit to the museum and well impressed. The dino was of interest to the kids as were the animals and weapons. Only saw the picture of Christ for a minute or so but it is stunning.

Will likely visit on my own as I didnt have enough time with and 8 and 3 year old to read as much as I would like. Not into art but would like to visit the art side of the museum. 

Stopped at the Lego shop on the way home - fantastic staff but spent a small fortune. 

Captain America

Went last Monday when daughter was off school.

Dippy is impressive as is the Dali painting.

Was mobbed as school holidays through our way.

I love that Dali painting. We went to the Peoples museum last year. That's also decent, They were showing all the Billy Connolly portraits by John Byrne etc,

Went to Edinburgh museum today. 

Packed with a vast quantity if ignorant wankers and their poorly raised and out of control spawn but on the whole a good visit. Honestly Edinburgh has a serious ***** problem. 

Been a few times now and every time we have been we have found something new and interesting.

One gripe is their resturaunt/cafe on the bottom floor. £12.50 for an average burger and shite chips that were so dry and chewy they could have been a week old. £6.50 for a kids meal of fish fingers with the same shite chips. Then £3 for a little bottle of diet coke. All in all a ****ing joke.

been here before
52 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Went to Edinburgh museum today. 

Packed with a vast quantity if ignorant wankers and their poorly raised and out of control spawn but on the whole a good visit. Honestly Edinburgh has a serious ***** problem. 

Been a few times now and every time we have been we have found something new and interesting.

One gripe is their resturaunt/cafe on the bottom floor. £12.50 for an average burger and shite chips that were so dry and chewy they could have been a week old. £6.50 for a kids meal of fish fingers with the same shite chips. Then £3 for a little bottle of diet coke. All in all a ****ing joke.

I presume you meann The National Museum in Chamber Street as opposed to the the Museum of Edinburgh in the Canongate.

The latter being one of the city's best kept secrets.

The National Museum of Scotland is fantastic to goto, my kids love it in there.

And yes they do behave.

The fact it’s free is incredible.

Edited by Jamboelite