Edinburgh Tourist Tax

Blackford Hearts

Blackford Hearts

Cannot understand where this has come from, aside from a council who are desperately overstretched financially, and would try anything to get additional revenue. 

It it makes no sense. Tourism is going well in an instable environment. None of the tourist boards seem to agree with it. 

SNP have passed it through Holyrood with the Greens support despite (apparently) having no mandate to do so. 

How will it be funded administratively and who is going to be collecting? Will admin costs outweigh the income stream? 

It works in many other cities don’t see a problem when it’s up and running.I think it was about 3 euro a night I had to pay last year in menorca,I just had accept it.

I don’t really agree with it (let’s stick a tax on something that’s a massive net beneficiary to the local economy) but if they’re set on doing it then you need to make it seamless. Wrap it into the cost of a room a make hotels responsible for collecting it (so it comes as part of overall bill) then most folk won’t bat an eyelid. Make it so it’s a song and dance to pay and tourists are getting asked for £30 when they check out, despite having paid in advance for their room on Expedia or the like... well that’ll look rather tin pot. 

36 minutes ago, Dave de le Noir said:

I don’t really agree with it (let’s stick a tax on something that’s a massive net beneficiary to the local economy) but if they’re set on doing it then you need to make it seamless. Wrap it into the cost of a room a make hotels responsible for collecting it (so it comes as part of overall bill) then most folk won’t bat an eyelid. Make it so it’s a song and dance to pay and tourists are getting asked for £30 when they check out, despite having paid in advance for their room on Expedia or the like... well that’ll look rather tin pot. 

That’s what most places do.Its paid at hotel .

Shanks said no

So our Council who can't even organise a brown bin collection scheme are now going to use their expertise fleecing tourists.

Sure this will work out well.

Blackford Hearts
28 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

So our Council who can't even organise a brown bin collection scheme are now going to use their expertise fleecing tourists.

That’s what I am thinking. They couldn’t run a bath and this is almost certainly (in my opinion) going to be the another administrative disaster. I do hope that it’s been well thought out, and of course the income generated used to make our beautiful city nicer for all!  

I think it's Scotland wide, not just Edinburgh. Edinburgh has been working on it for a while, but were put firmly back in their box by the SG, as they are not exactly known for promoting local autonomy. Deal needed done to get the budget through,  and they've done a uturn. 

Would be interested to hear where the funds will go in Edinburgh. Towards tourism, local projects for residents or just to plug the budget cut deficit?

7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I think it's a good idea, TBH.

Got to agree, better fleecing tourists with money to burn instead of us folk living in Edinburgh.

fabienleclerq

I hope the money is earmarked for something rather than just chucking it in the pot.

U think it makes sense if we spend money on tourism to claim back a little.

Riddley Walker

Good idea. So many other places have a few quid chucked on a hotel bill for it. Hopefully earmarked for something in particular.

Regal Kingston

It’s a disgrace. 

Something that poorer countries do to make a bit of revenue. 

The poor folk that come here in August get bumped silly already. 

Sure its £260 a night in the Ibis. Some of that money should go to the council and not a fresh tariff. 

AirBnB’s as well. The tax on them needs to be urgently reviewed 

4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Surprised it's took them this long.

correct, the Americans are loaded, up to St Andrews and pay over 150 pounds for a round of golf.

Doubt they would miss a few pounds more.

been here before
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Maybe the tourists could empty the bins.

Considering you pay about a hundred quid a night at a hotel, an extra £1 a night is not going to make people avoid Edinburgh.

Hotels add the extra charge to their room charges, keep accurate records of how many people stay then the Govt takes that money from them and gives it to the council.

It's not feckin rocket science. And it's long overdue.

Fantastic idea. Hopefully the cash raised goes into continued regeneration of some of the more run down parts of the city.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Long overdue. Now for some decent toilets with staff to keep the undesirables out. 

43 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

They’ve been doing this in the Balearics for a few years now. It’s never been a factor for me in whether to go or not. 

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain & Switzerland all charge a tourist tax in one form or another, then you have numerous countires world-wide who charge for things like a tourist visa etc, that's a tourist tax.

Just surprised Scotland/UK have taken so long to implement a tourist tax.

2 hours ago, Regal Kingston said:

It’s a disgrace. 

Something that poorer countries do to make a bit of revenue. 

No, it really isn't...

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain & Switzerland all charge a tourist tax in one form or another, then you have numerous countires world-wide who charge for things like a tourist visa etc, that's a tourist tax.

Toxteth O'Grady

Tourists create additional demands on the services such as refuse and litter cleaning. I don't see why the council Tax payers should pay this on the Tourists behalf.

I'm all for it and as others have said we  pay a City or Tourist tax when on holiday, it wont damage tourism at all.

37 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

No, it really isn't...

Correct, it's pretty standard in many tourist destinations, really common. I've been to multiple cities with tourist tax, it's never even crossed my mind that we wouldn't go because of it. 

There's zero reason for local residents to have negative feelings about it imo

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Long overdue. Now for some decent toilets with staff to keep the undesirables out. 

‘I walked into the mound toilets and want to burn my eyes out’ post if ever I saw one. 

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They’ve been doing this in the Balearics for a few years now. It’s never been a factor for me in whether to go or not. 

Most places in Greece too. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

‘I walked into the mound toilets and want to burn my eyes out’ post if ever I saw one. 

I am still traumatised. ☺️

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Stop going then! :lol: 

I use the pub bogs now, any excuse for a pint. 

Straight pubs to avoid confusion :biggrin:

As a comparison in Florida:

"The Tourist Development Tax (also referred to as tourist tax, bed tax or resort tax) is a 5% charge on the revenue from rentals of six months or less. This tax is in addition to the state sales tax . The state sales tax is sent to the Florida Department of Revenue."

I have no idea why Scottish councils have business rates instead of percentage sales tax. It would reflect the revenues of a business not the size of the property. It would be far easier to apply a tourist tax.

It was just a question of who would blink first - as soon as Edinburgh does you can bet other popular tourist areas like Highland and Argyll & Bute will start too.  Maybe Glasgow too as they get lots of visitors to conferences and the Hydro etc.

A majority of ‘accommodation providers’ support its introduction.

I hope it’s ring-fenced and used for things that benefit tourists and locals - like keeping the place clean, for starters.

I think it’s a good idea so long as it works out to be a financial gain. I worry that the admin costs for running the scheme could outweigh the money brought in. Nobody would stop travelling for a quid a night or so and it works in many other European countries. 

The right thing to do. the effect on the people booking the room is minimal, indeed for the sake of competitiveness at times the hotels will absorb it, and when supply and demand kicks in, you have the choice. It won't put tourists off.

29 minutes ago, H2 said:

The right thing to do. the effect on the people booking the room is minimal, indeed for the sake of competitiveness at times the hotels will absorb it, and when supply and demand kicks in, you have the choice. It won't put tourists off.

Absolutely, if people want to visit and stay in Edinburgh they will do so whether there is a city/tourist tax or not, exactly the same as a city/tourist tax doesn't put me off or the tens of millions of other tourists who visit Italy, Greece, Spain & Portugal (to name but a few) every year.

Blackford Hearts
8 hours ago, FWJ said:

It was just a question of who would blink first - as soon as Edinburgh does you can bet other popular tourist areas like Highland and Argyll & Bute will start too.  Maybe Glasgow too as they get lots of visitors to conferences and the Hydro etc.

A majority of ‘accommodation providers’ support its introduction.

I hope it’s ring-fenced and used for things that benefit tourists and locals - like keeping the place clean, for starters.

I’m not sure they do. What makes you think that? 

I know it’s not the whole industry but as an example:

Willie Macleod, Scottish director of the industry group UK Hospitality, said industry studies showed a 1% increase in costs reduced spending by 1.3%. “Edinburgh seems hell bent on taxing our industry [but] there’s a limit to how much we can ask our customers to pay,” he said.

Blackford Hearts
13 hours ago, Smithee said:

Correct, it's pretty standard in many tourist destinations, really common. I've been to multiple cities with tourist tax, it's never even crossed my mind that we wouldn't go because of it. 

There's zero reason for local residents to have negative feelings about it imo

I know you said imo but several her including myself have expressed concerns about how the City of Edinburgh Council will spend the cash. They’ve not got an amazing record of doing well with budgeting. I for one and concerned it will go down a black hole and disappear into something other than tourism services...

like maybe this? 

Councils say continuing cuts in their funding from central government and a cap on increasing the council tax above 3% makes new sources of local income essential

It's a great idea,  In Italy they take it in cash at the hotels.  If it can do something about the shocking number of AirBnB's that have sprouted up all over the place it'll be be even better.

2 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

industry studies showed a 1% increase in costs reduced spending by 1.3%. 

If £1 a night is 1% of your holiday costs, you're on some cheap erse holiday

Have paid this in many locations.

What I would say is that the charge reduces my spending in that locale.

I tend to take spending money with me, and if I need to put some aside for the tourist tax, I'm not spending it on food/drinks/ tourist junk.

7 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I know you said imo but several her including myself have expressed concerns about how the City of Edinburgh Council will spend the cash. They’ve not got an amazing record of doing well with budgeting. I for one and concerned it will go down a black hole and disappear into something other than tourism services...

like maybe this? 

Councils say continuing cuts in their funding from central government and a cap on increasing the council tax above 3% makes new sources of local income essential

Surely that's a concern over how the council spends though, I don't see how that makes the extra income itself something to be concerned about.

And anyway, why does it need to be spent on tourism services? What's wrong with it being another income stream used to our benefit? How is that bad for local residents?

Tourist taxes are in use all over the world and no doubt other UK cities will follow.

My only hope is the money is spent wisely. Edinburgh is a dirty city. Buildings need maintenance/garbage problems. Feel free to add to the list.

7 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I’m not sure they do. What makes you think that? 

I know it’s not the whole industry but as an example:

Willie Macleod, Scottish director of the industry group UK Hospitality, said industry studies showed a 1% increase in costs reduced spending by 1.3%. “Edinburgh seems hell bent on taxing our industry [but] there’s a limit to how much we can ask our customers to pay,” he said.

It was reported in the papers &BBC a few weeks ago 

Blackford Hearts
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Surely that's a concern over how the council spends though, I don't see how that makes the extra income itself something to be concerned about.

And anyway, why does it need to be spent on tourism services? What's wrong with it being another income stream used to our benefit? How is that bad for local residents?

I would have no problem if, for example it was used to make Edinburgh a cleaner city. Would be worth every penny. If it was lost into admin and more red tape not so keen. It’s happening so let’s hope we all see the benefit 

Blackford Hearts
6 hours ago, Cade said:

If £1 a night is 1% of your holiday costs, you're on some cheap erse holiday

I’m sure your joking but that’s not what they are saying. Bottom of page 24, top of page 25 discusses impact of tourist tax https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/publication/2018/11/transient-visitor-taxes-scotland-supporting-national-discussion/documents/00543300-pdf/00543300-pdf/govscot%3Adocument?forceDownload=true

18 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I would have no problem if, for example it was used to make Edinburgh a cleaner city. Would be worth every penny. If it was lost into admin and more red tape not so keen. It’s happening so let’s hope we all see the benefit 

The body running our city now have a bit more money to spend on it - how can that possibly be negative for residents?

Even if your worst fears are realised (although they seem pretty unrealistic to me, the cost of administering will be nothing like the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions this'll bring in) it would be cash neutral. How could even that possibly be negative for residents?

Blackford Hearts
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The body running our city now have a bit more money to spend on it - how can that possibly be negative for residents?

Even if your worst fears are realised (although they seem pretty unrealistic to me, the cost of administering will be nothing like the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions this'll bring in) it would be cash neutral. How could even that possibly be negative for residents?

As I say, I hope it will be a positive to the residents. I hope the council spend the money on services they talk about in the consultation paper I have shown above.

My concern is that they are in such a deficit that the cash will be lost on loan payments or admin, which would end up with a negative effect on the economy due to lost tourists. 

We we obviously don’t know the answer as it’s not in yet and I would like for you to be reminding me how wrong I was when it’s a resounding success, I am just a bit sceptical! 

9 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

As I say, I hope it will be a positive to the residents. I hope the council spend the money on services they talk about in the consultation paper I have shown above.

My concern is that they are in such a deficit that the cash will be lost on loan payments or admin, which would end up with a negative effect on the economy due to lost tourists. 

We we obviously don’t know the answer as it’s not in yet and I would like for you to be reminding me how wrong I was when it’s a resounding success, I am just a bit sceptical! 

I get where you're coming from but countless cities have had these schemes in place for years now, they just wouldn't be doing it if there was a significant negative to it.  

We're in a very fortunate position in that our hotels are at pretty much 100% capacity more then once a year, and this won't change that. 

But as you say, we'll see