Dagger Is Back

Staten Island ferry

The High Line

Central Park

9/11 Memorial

Grand Central

Loved just walking and soaking up the atmosphere/sights 

Loved Chelsea and Soho

As always, if you got to the tourist bits you’ll get fleeced. New York’s no different from anywhere else.

You’ll find good food and drink at reasonable prices if you’re sensible 

9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ate in Essen corner of West 36th Street and 8th Avenue.

Thought it was great value. The cost is by weight of the food.

There was a "Bread and Butter" across the street from our  hotel on 5th Ave. Unbelievable choice of food, 24/7, also pay by weight.  There's a few of them in NYC. Would recommend. 

Used it quite a lot after blowing over $200 in a fab steak house one night. 

jack D and coke
On 02/02/2019 at 14:54, Herbert said:

I was there at Christmas. I got charged $13 for a glass of coke in the hotel lobby. We went to a restaurant and for 2 burgers and 3 milkshakes it was $120. The place is good but they rob you blind.

And the tipping really starts to get right on your tits too. Can’t buy anything without having to tip. I was literally seething about it by the end of my trip and was only there 5 days. 

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Just after we stopped working we went to New York and then took the Acela express train up to Boston. Fantastic scenery a lot of the trip as the train follows the coast. 

We had a few days in the Langham Hotel in Boston and it was marvellous, especially when compared to the New York Hotels. 

We will return to Boston and do more exploration of Cape Cod, Hyannis, Martha's vineyard. 

Safe travels and enjoy your trip.

I'm moving on to Washington DC after my week in NYC. I have already scored a deal on the Amtrak from Washington to New York to get back there in good time for a decent feed then head off for my 11pm flight home from JFK.

I'm in no hurry for the trips between Boston & NYC and then NYC to Washington so I'll probably brave the Greyhound. Not much slower than the train. I did 2 long greyhound trips on my last visit (2002) and it was fine. Good even.

I still cannot believe how obscenely expensive accomodation is in NYC. Market forces I suppose. AirBnBs in neighbouring New Jersey are a viable alternative, but when you add in transport costs it isn't the bargain it appears. I'm not above doing hostel dorms so may go for that and even then it's £40 a night!

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm moving on to Washington DC after my week in NYC. I have already scored a deal on the Amtrak from Washington to New York to get back there in good time for a decent feed then head off for my 11pm flight home from JFK.

I'm in no hurry for the trips between Boston & NYC and then NYC to Washington so I'll probably brave the Greyhound. Not much slower than the train. I did 2 long greyhound trips on my last visit (2002) and it was fine. Good even.

I still cannot believe how obscenely expensive accomodation is in NYC. Market forces I suppose. AirBnBs in neighbouring New Jersey are a viable alternative, but when you add in transport costs it isn't the bargain it appears. I'm not above doing hostel dorms so may go for that and even then it's £40 a night!

It was $30 for a 7 day subway pass when I was there in 2014. Not sure how much it is now but can't imagine it's much more.

rudi must stay
On 02/02/2019 at 12:40, superjack said:

Looking to book a family holiday in new York and I'm wondering where the best area to is?

We'll be typical tourists, visiting the usual things and Broadway.

I stayed on Statton Island. Part are rough, but you'd maybe save yourself some money, plenty of guests houses. Also the big plus, The Statton Island Ferry. Worth going on and I'd say to go on that either way. Amazing place

On 03/02/2019 at 12:33, Bridge of Djoum said:

Rudy's, no?

Hells Kitchen.

Utter dive. Jakie's quaffing pints at 9:30 in the morning. Rude bar staff, smoke stained wooden tables and cladding.

My kind of place.

18 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

And the tipping really starts to get right on your tits too. Can’t buy anything without having to tip. I was literally seething about it by the end of my trip and was only there 5 days. 

It's when they have suggested tips on the receipt like leaving them the change is insulting. I wouldn't tip someone here £15-20. Leaving the change if it's under a tenner is plenty. The waiters in busy restaurants must make a fortune if people leave $10-20 and they have 10-15 tables to look after.

Hagar the Horrible

Get the city attraction tickets on-line, pick them up from the bus station next to the New York Times,

Go up the ROC at night gets the classic view of the Empire State,  don't do the ESB its shite?  Ground zero, don't do the museum its shite

Natural history museum and or the Met,  do the bus tours,  ellis island, queues are bad though for the ferry.  Bus tours do the uptown and downtown ones and Brooklyn by night.   Uptown ones go through Harlem,  Little Italy is getting smaller, but you need to go to that deli?  china town good too,  go see the space shuttle and concorde

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Staten Island ferry

The High Line

Central Park

9/11 Memorial

Grand Central

Loved just walking and soaking up the atmosphere/sights 

Loved Chelsea and Soho

As always, if you got to the tourist bits you’ll get fleeced. New York’s no different from anywhere else.

You’ll find good food and drink at reasonable prices if you’re sensible 

My favourite thing in New York too. I struggle with the idea of staying in New Jersey or even the  other boroughs and wasting time you could spend in Manhattan. Search around and there is plenty of choice in Manhattan for  accommodation (and food and drink) ) that is no more expensive than London or even Edinburgh.

I'd add to your list the free walk across Brooklyn Bridge ... and the Top of The Rock, which I think but am not sure is cheaper than the Empire State, but will in any case involve far less time queuing and smaller crowds ... and with a superior view.

Dagger Is Back
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

My favourite thing in New York too. I struggle with the idea of staying in New Jersey or even the  other boroughs and wasting time you could spend in Manhattan. Search around and there is plenty of choice in Manhattan for  accommodation (and food and drink) ) that is no more expensive than London or even Edinburgh.

I'd add to your list the free walk across Brooklyn Bridge ... and the Top of The Rock, which I think but am not sure is cheaper than the Empire State, but will in any case involve far less time queuing and smaller crowds ... and with a superior view.

Yes FA Top Of The Rock for me too. Get your timings right and catch it during the day and then as night falls.

Haven’t done the BB, simply because we ran out of time. 

No different from being in Edinburgh in terms of price differences for food and drink within relatively small distances.

You’re right about losing time by staying out with Manhattan. We went 4 years ago with the kids and we had to be pretty penny conscious. 

Staying in Manhattan though made it. 10 minutes away from the hotel and there’s the ESB. There’s a vibrancy and buzz that you just want to soak up.

You can watch the pennies in other ways if you need to

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yes FA Top Of The Rock for me too. Get your timings right and catch it during the day and then as night falls.

Haven’t done the BB, simply because we ran out of time. 

No different from being in Edinburgh in terms of price differences for food and drink within relatively small distances.

You’re right about losing time by staying out with Manhattan. We went 4 years ago with the kids and we had to be pretty penny conscious. 

Staying in Manhattan though made it. 10 minutes away from the hotel and there’s the ESB. There’s a vibrancy and buzz that you just want to soak up.

You can watch the pennies in other ways if you need to

We tried to get up top of the rock at dusk, the queue was outside the building.

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

We tried to get up top of the rock at dusk, the queue was outside the building.

Yeah we booked a time beforehand, I think it was an hour or so  before dusk. By the time we got up there we caught a bit of a daylight view and then dusk.

We had NY passes so we went and booked a time slot a few days before 

• 2 weeks later...