Things to do in London

Carl Fredrickson

Carl Fredrickson

I am going to a conference in London next month and have two free evenings. 

Last years conference was the first time that I had visited London and this time I have taken a days leave to see sights too. 

I have two evenings to plan, I will be on my own and I am looking for any recommendations. My hotel is near Leicester Square but I will have a pass for the underground so can get about a bit, 

A quick internet search has thrown up discounted theatre tickets, London by night tour bus, Jack the Ripper tour, museum late openings and free comedy clubs. 

Can anyone give a personal recommendation - will consider most things! 

Cheers

9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I am going to a conference in London next month and have two free evenings. 

Last years conference was the first time that I had visited London and this time I have taken a days leave to see sights too. 

I have two evenings to plan, I will be on my own and I am looking for any recommendations. My hotel is near Leicester Square but I will have a pass for the underground so can get about a bit, 

A quick internet search has thrown up discounted theatre tickets, London by night tour bus, Jack the Ripper tour, museum late openings and free comedy clubs. 

Can anyone give a personal recommendation - will consider most things! 

Cheers

Soho and delboys bus tours, seriously, probably too much to mention, dunno if the tower of london is open, get along to their

tourist imformation centre.

Theatre sounds good, whats on ?,  think only fools and horses are doing a show.

Carl Fredrickson

Cheers. 

The evenings are Thursday and Friday - I have Friday during the day sorted (free entry to the Tower of London with a voucher via my work). 

The volume of stuff on internet is frightening and was hoping for personal recommendations. The late opening of museums and galleries are possibilities - definitely not getting a pizza delivered to my hotel room :)

Depends what yer in to. If you just want to see some tourist stuff, then grand. National museum’s good, heard the Tower is alright, but in near 15 years of on-and-off living here I’ve never bothered my arse to go ?

My preference when folk come to visit is to break it into areas:

Shoreditch/Spitalfields /Brick Lane - you’ll get more out of an afternoon shopping and food hopping here than anywhere in the centre. It deserves its reputation as home of the hipster, but you’ll get the best and most interesting food and sights here. 

South Kensington/Mayfair/Westminster : Go to the British museum in the morning, then get yourself a cheap set lunch at a top end restaurant. Most do deals. Walk it off with a stroll through the park down to Westminster and Houses of Parliament. 

Oxford St etc. Avoid. Proper central central London is shite. But if you must stay off the main drag and Carnaby St etc I guess is alright. 

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. 

The evenings are Thursday and Friday - I have Friday during the day sorted (free entry to the Tower of London with a voucher via my work). 

The volume of stuff on internet is frightening and was hoping for personal recommendations. The late opening of museums and galleries are possibilities - definitely not getting a pizza delivered to my hotel room :)

Tower of London will take up two hours or so max, unless you get really into it. A decent Friday plan would be to go to Greenwich in the morning where you could see the cutty Sark (I've not been on it so can't tell you anything about it) and the GMT line along with the Royal Observatory. You get a cracking view from the top of the hill.

From there you could head to London Bridge on a clipper boat and get some nice food at Borough Market before heading onto the Tower of London (easily walkable). 

Carl Fredrickson
59 minutes ago, Dave de le Noir said:

Depends what yer in to. If you just want to see some tourist stuff, then grand. National museum’s good, heard the Tower is alright, but in near 15 years of on-and-off living here I’ve never bothered my arse to go ?

My preference when folk come to visit is to break it into areas:

Shoreditch/Spitalfields /Brick Lane - you’ll get more out of an afternoon shopping and food hopping here than anywhere in the centre. It deserves its reputation as home of the hipster, but you’ll get the best and most interesting food and sights here. 

South Kensington/Mayfair/Westminster : Go to the British museum in the morning, then get yourself a cheap set lunch at a top end restaurant. Most do deals. Walk it off with a stroll through the park down to Westminster and Houses of Parliament. 

Oxford St etc. Avoid. Proper central central London is shite. But if you must stay off the main drag and Carnaby St etc I guess is alright. 

Cheers. I do like museums and a wee bit of history so ToL appeals. The conference is at the QE2 centre and I walk down to it so I see the likes of Horseguards Parade, Trafalger Square, Downing Street and Parliament on the way down and back. Last year I went to Hamleys and a bit of Oxford Street. It was a Thursday evening and it was heaving. Will look into South Kengsinton and Mayfair. 

Much appreciated 

Carl Fredrickson
45 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Tower of London will take up two hours or so max, unless you get really into it. A decent Friday plan would be to go to Greenwich in the morning where you could see the cutty Sark (I've not been on it so can't tell you anything about it) and the GMT line along with the Royal Observatory. You get a cracking view from the top of the hill.

From there you could head to London Bridge on a clipper boat and get some nice food at Borough Market before heading onto the Tower of London (easily walkable). 

I went on one of the river boats upto Greenwich last year but due to time I didnt get off.  This is very helpful too - thanks.

would prefer to go overground to see the sights so walking and boats (I love seeing cities from a river if they have one) will be part of the plan. 

I will check out Borough Market - I only recently heard of it as it was on a TV show (cant mind which one) 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

At London prices? Any discount codes :)

Surprised the conference organisers haven't laid any on for you tbh. :)

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Surprised the conference organisers haven't laid any on for you tbh. :)

I wish.....

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, frodoker said:

Jack the ripper tour then curry on Brick Lane, interesting stuff if you are remotely interested in that kind of thing ! 

https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com/walk-description/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnNXiBRCoARIsAJe_1coU1qOEuYoPxjtcpyK5vO9T-E1SBbM-AXgZzj17E_R-rl7z8D-KtrEaApt_EALw_wcB

I saw that last night and it is a possibility. Have you been on one? 

Bridge of Djoum

Take a walk along the South Bank of the Thames. Go east from Westminster Bridge, pass the Belfast, go on to the Prospect of Whitby, great pub. 

It's my fave city, London. It's difficult to tell folk what to do, same as when folk ask for things to do in NY. There is just so much that it's overwhelming to even think about.

Me? I like walking out the door of the hotel, picking left or right and finding my own things to do. You will find something amazing. Perhaps not in Tower Hamlets or Bensonhurst, but I assume most tourists do not dwell in these areas upon visiting.

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Some great crime history in the East. The Carpenters Arms (krays old pub) isn't far from Brick Lane. It's probably coming a bit far out to go to the Blind Beggar in Whitechapel and it's a crappy pub anyway. If you do though you'll find better food in Tayyabs on Fieldgate St than you will on brick lane. 

The Ten Bells in spitalfields used to be great for a bit of Ripper history but they done a refurb a number of years ago which involved moving the bar and it ripped the soul out of the place. 

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Yup I work in London now and again so have done it a couple of times. Really interesting and the guides usually know there stuff.

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks for all the suggestions - they are really appreciated. A walk along the south bank could be on the cards as well as the Ripper tour. I appreciate with so much to choose from it may be hard to make suggestions but what has been said, is useful to me.

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, ULSTER HEARTS said:

Get in touch with your M.P. & get them to arrange a tour around the parliament for you. i done it a few years ago & found it really interesting.

https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/tours-of-parliament/tours/

Thanks for that - didnt know this was possible. Will mind this for my next visit. 

I P Knightley

If you take the Jack the Ripper tour, finish up with a curry in Brick Lane. You can haggle a price before you go in and they'll honour it with a damn fine curry to boot. Last weekend was £22 for a starter, poppadums, main course, rice, naan, side and 3 pints. 

I'm not sure of the opening hours of the museums but from Leicester square, its a short bus ride to South Kensington with the natural history museum and the science museum with a short stroll up to the Albert Hall, Hyde park, Park Lane, Marble Arch. Taking buses is best for a tourist trip; you see all the sights and can get a feel for how it all fits together. You can also see over the wall into the Queen's back garden. (March is a bit early to spot her sunbathing topless).

If you felt like a bit of exercise, you could take a TFL bike or a Mobike to scoot around Buck Palace, Horseguards, Hyde Park/Park lane/Marble Arch without having to go on the roads. Mobike is a great wee app but the bike is awful if you're bigger than 6 foot (I only use it when drunk or desperate). TFL bikes are slightly limited by having to find a dock to return them. 

Then there's all the strippers in Soho - but I imagine you'd already planned that part. 

Carl Fredrickson

Thanks for the other replies. Last year when I was down I didnt realise how close I was to Buckingham Palace so might drop by (might need to go in warmer weather if Liz is going to get her paps out!)

ULSTER HEARTS
4 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the other replies. Last year when I was down I didnt realise how close I was to Buckingham Palace so might drop by (might need to go in warmer weather if Liz is going to get her paps out!)

We went and watched the changing of the guard last year it was good but busy. If you get there early enough you can get a good spot to watch it. You could try & tie it in with the tower of London on the Friday morning.

https://changing-guard.com/life-guard-schedule.html

There's the times & dates for February but March is still being reviewed.

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, ULSTER HEARTS said:

We went and watched the changing of the guard last year it was good but busy. If you get there early enough you can get a good spot to watch it. You could try & tie it in with the tower of London on the Friday morning.

https://changing-guard.com/life-guard-schedule.html

There's the times & dates for February but March is still being reviewed.

Cheers! 

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Suggested Madame Tussauds but says it's shut..

My wife went a couple of weeks ago with Knightley Minor. No hint that it was closing, though.

9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Don't be fooled by the tube line map. A lot of the main bits are within walking distance of each other.

Another relatively short hop is St Paul's cathedral, over the wobbly bridge to the Tate modern, along the bank to The Globe (theatre, not pub - The Globe pub; that's near the Museum of London, the other direction from St Paul's), under the bridge where Luther kept on meeting Alice, then past the Shard to HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge and back over the river to the Tower of London, from where it's only a 20 minute walk to Brick Lane.

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

My wife went a couple of weeks ago with Knightley Minor. No hint that it was closing, though.

Don't be fooled by the tube line map. A lot of the main bits are within walking distance of each other.

Another relatively short hop is St Paul's cathedral, over the wobbly bridge to the Tate modern, along the bank to The Globe (theatre, not pub - The Globe pub; that's near the Museum of London, the other direction from St Paul's), under the bridge where Luther kept on meeting Alice, then past the Shard to HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge and back over the river to the Tower of London, from where it's only a 20 minute walk to Brick Lane.

Thanks IPK. Last year I only used the tube to get to and from the train station. I preferred going overground to see the sights and was amazed at how many of the tourist sites were within walking distance (I am a slow walker but covered a lot of ground). 

I went on one of the river boats last year upto Greenwich and back so saw St Pauls from a distance. I think a walk from my hotel over to St Pauls and then to the south bank vie the ToL may be on my agenda. 

So many options! 

I P Knightley
36 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks IPK. Last year I only used the tube to get to and from the train station. I preferred going overground to see the sights and was amazed at how many of the tourist sites were within walking distance (I am a slow walker but covered a lot of ground). 

I went on one of the river boats last year upto Greenwich and back so saw St Pauls from a distance. I think a walk from my hotel over to St Pauls and then to the south bank vie the ToL may be on my agenda. 

So many options! 

I'd meant to mention the river bus when posting.

The walk from Leicester Square to St Paul's is a bit dull unless you're ticking off Monopoly places: The Strand is just shops and hotels; Aldwych has St Clement Danes Church (if you're into your citrus fruit or the RAF) and then the Royal Courts of Justice (you'll see the bit of pavement where all the reporters stand for the big cases) and then Fleet Street which is more shops & pubs. You could jump on a number 11 near Trafalgar Sq and see what needs to be seen from the top deck of a very comfy Boris bus. The alternative's to dive down Northumberland Ave to the Embankment and enjoy the skyline as you make your way along. I'd give it about 45 minutes though. Save your walking for the St Paul's to the Tower bit (and on to Brick Lane, of course!)

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'd meant to mention the river bus when posting.

The walk from Leicester Square to St Paul's is a bit dull unless you're ticking off Monopoly places: The Strand is just shops and hotels; Aldwych has St Clement Danes Church (if you're into your citrus fruit or the RAF) and then the Royal Courts of Justice (you'll see the bit of pavement where all the reporters stand for the big cases) and then Fleet Street which is more shops & pubs. You could jump on a number 11 near Trafalgar Sq and see what needs to be seen from the top deck of a very comfy Boris bus. The alternative's to dive down Northumberland Ave to the Embankment and enjoy the skyline as you make your way along. I'd give it about 45 minutes though. Save your walking for the St Paul's to the Tower bit (and on to Brick Lane, of course!)

:thumbsup:

Shanks said no
On 04/02/2019 at 22:05, systemx said:

Imperial War Museum

This, took each of my kids to London when they were old enough to enjoy it and the IWM was the standout when my son and I hit the big city. Its open 10-6 daily. Loved the Tower of London too.

Have to say that even though I hate shopping that Harrods was something else, particularly the pet shop and art for sale.

Went to the theatre each time, did fall asleep after walking constantly all day on one occasion! Strangely on the 2 occasions I stayed awake dwarves were involved.

Would also recommend having a wander round Chinatown at night.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

This, took each of my kids to London when they were old enough to enjoy it and the IWM was the standout when my son and I hit the big city. Its open 10-6 daily. Loved the Tower of London too.

Have to say that even though I hate shopping that Harrods was something else, particularly the pet shop and art for sale.

Went to the theatre each time, did fall asleep after walking constantly all day on one occasion! Strangely on the 2 occasions I stayed awake dwarves were involved.

Would also recommend having a wander round Chinatown at night.

Please tell us more. I can think of what one the shows might have been - but the other?

I visited Chinatwon last year by accident. Lost my bearings and wandered through it. 

Shanks said no
9 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Please tell us more. I can think of what one the shows might have been - but the other?

I visited Chinatwon last year by accident. Lost my bearings and wandered through it. 

OK, not as exciting as it sounds

First visit with son included going to see We will rock you the Queen musical. I had told my son all the stories about Freddie, his lavish lifestyle including all the parties, naked dwarves with platters of coke etc on their heads. We walked into the theatre bar pre show and my son was frantically trying to alert me to a dwarf who was also in the bar, purely to see the show but it freaked my boy out that one was there.

Second show was Ghost Story (I think) and very dark theatre, wife and I fell asleep in minutes.

Third time we went to see Spamelot and it starred Warwick Davis but we went for a drink at a nearby bar after the show and he walked in with his small wife and kids.

Carl Fredrickson
27 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

OK, not as exciting as it sounds

First visit with son included going to see We will rock you the Queen musical. I had told my son all the stories about Freddie, his lavish lifestyle including all the parties, naked dwarves with platters of coke etc on their heads. We walked into the theatre bar pre show and my son was frantically trying to alert me to a dwarf who was also in the bar, purely to see the show but it freaked my boy out that one was there.

Second show was Ghost Story (I think) and very dark theatre, wife and I fell asleep in minutes.

Third time we went to see Spamelot and it starred Warwick Davis but we went for a drink at a nearby bar after the show and he walked in with his small wife and kids.

:)  :)  :) 

And i thought you had gone to see Snow White :)