Are we in the race for second place?

tartofmidlothian

8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ehh....no. Great result but sitting back for 45mins defending a 1 goal lead against Killie is not the measure of a challenger for the top places. We'll certainly finish 5th or 6th.

Kilmarnock 2 Rangers 1

Aberdeen 0 Kilmarnock 0

Rangers 1 Kilmarnock 1

Kilmarnock 2 Celtic 1

How exactly should a ‘challenger’ be playing?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• Alex Kintner

• Captain Sausage

• Mr Elwood P

Need to take things a step at a time. After Dundee looked like we’d struggle to get top 6. Two wins later and we’re back in a battle for 4th/5th. Let’s sort that out then look at 3rd /4th then 2nd 3rd etc etc. Need to keep winning and putting the pressure on those above us. 

According to the BT Commentary for the first 75 minutes last night we will be nowhere to be seen 

But deep down I always have thought we ll be there about s 

We have the best squad we’ve had for a long time  HHGH 

9 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ehh....no. Great result but sitting back for 45mins defending a 1 goal lead against Killie is not the measure of a challenger for the top places. We'll certainly finish 5th or 6th.

:pleasing:

Surprised the OP even posted this. Of course we are aiming for 1st/2nd, we were running away with the league with a full squad and we had added a Claire and Vanecek since then. We definitely should not be “accepting” 3rd place to The Rangers as given. Absolutely not! They are average we are a better team. Not on paper or monetary wise perhaps but a better all round team. 

I do worry about our goalkeeping situ though. Isn’t there a Gordon type in the 20s? 

Captain Sausage
10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You sound pretty confident about that.

But you also sounded very confident about our season ticket sales, and continually shifted the goal posts when your slavering was exposed. 

The above is absolute nonsense, neither Celtic nor Rangers have won at Rugby Park this season. We’ve won twice.

Your hatred of Levein is an absolute embarrassment, the constant negative slant and slavering and bullish refusal to accept your spouting pish further compounds this. 

2 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Kilmarnock 2 Rangers 1

Aberdeen 0 Kilmarnock 0

Rangers 1 Kilmarnock 1

Kilmarnock 2 Celtic 1

How exactly should a ‘challenger’ be playing?

Well played sir

Skippy Doodle
10 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What behind Aberdeen and Kilmarnock who also see put away games in the same manner? ?

21 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

But you also sounded very confident about our season ticket sales, and continually shifted the goal posts when your slavering was exposed. 

The above is absolute nonsense, neither Celtic nor Rangers have won at Rugby Park this season. We’ve won twice.

Your hatred of Levein is an absolute embarrassment, the constant negative slant and slavering and bullish refusal to accept your spouting pish further compounds this. 

Be gentle on him. It’s been a tough week for him with us winning back to back games.

Sort of quietly turned things around over the last few games. 

The media will be spewing we turned over the new darlings in Killie.  

Nothing would give me more pleasure( aside from winning a trophy) than toppling the 3 sides currently above us.

I felt during the winter break we had to come back and start how we did the beginning of the season to get people worried. 

Its early, but good signs. 

Edited by Debut 4

31 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Points aside, have a look at the goal difference column.  The difference between us and the OF is clear to see. I think we'll finish 5th or 6th. It's a pretty credible, evidence based forecast.  We're 5th now and we finished 6th last season. Aberdeen have finished 2nd for the last 4 seasons and have, imo, a better squad than us. Your cult like faith in Levein is admirable but I don't share it. 

tartofmidlothian
46 minutes ago, red said:

Surprised the OP even posted this. Of course we are aiming for 1st/2nd, we were running away with the league with a full squad and we had added a Claire and Vanecek since then. We definitely should not be “accepting” 3rd place to The Rangers as given. Absolutely not! They are average we are a better team. Not on paper or monetary wise perhaps but a better all round team. 

I do worry about our goalkeeping situ though. Isn’t there a Gordon type in the 20s? 

Six weeks ago we were bound for the bottom six, though. Now we're a couple of wins from second. The inexplicable shite against Dundee aside, our form is back to what it was and we aren't even at full strength yet.

Captain Sausage
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Points aside, have a look at the goal difference column.  The difference between us and the OF is clear to see. I think we'll finish 5th or 6th. It's a pretty credible, evidence based forecast.  We're 5th now and we finished 6th last season. Aberdeen have finished 2nd for the last 4 seasons and have, imo, a better squad than us. Your cult like faith in Levein is admirable but I don't share it. 

As if by magic, we’ve gone from 5th or 6th being a certainty to it being credible. 

The slithering begins...

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

As if by magic, we’ve gone from 5th or 6th being a certainty to it being credible. 

The slithering begins...

:indeed:

:rofl:

The Goalscoring Knee
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Points aside, have a look at the goal difference column.  The difference between us and the OF is clear to see. I think we'll finish 5th or 6th. It's a pretty credible, evidence based forecast.

Almost 30 goals of a difference between us and Rangers (with the likelihood of even more today)... and yet if we win on Wednesday and they lose, we would be 3 points behind them.

Might as well chuck it in now, I suppose.

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

The slithering begins...

No , we've gone from your hysterical chat about it being "embarassing" to me pointing out it's credible. In case you're in any doubt, we are certain to be 5th or 6th. 

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No , we've gone from your hysterical chat about it being "embarassing" to me pointing out it's credible. In case you're in any doubt, we are certain to be 5th or 6th. 

So you haven’t just moved the goalposts from a 5th/6th place finish being ‘certain’ to ‘credible’?

Behave. You’ve embarrassed yourself yet again. 

On topic, of course we are in the race for second. 3 points behind with two games left against everyone above us bar Killie. With our best players returning, it’s so clear to see the improvement in our performances and results. Looking forward to the run in. 

Calebs Grandad

We took 19 points from our first 7 games and with 6 points from our last 2 then a similar run now would see us almost certainly clear second. The team Levein wants as his first choice 11 is very close to being back on track and if Vanecek gets fully match fit then that extra option can only be beneficial too. 

What is most positive is the defence suddenly looking very solid.

Souttar back is a big boost while Smith and Shaughnessy looking good in centre.

A big difference if we are hard to score goals against. And a bit more creativity up front with Clare and Mulraney starting to show. And Uche and Vanetek to come in.

Got potential.

Bazzas right boot

Not entirely sure we are safe from the drop yet tbh. 

Next defeat, we'll be looking at the bottom 6, CL will be a loser dinosaur and everyone bar Naismith will be shite. 

If we can win 4/5 of our next 6 fixtures including beating Aberdeen at home we'll likely be third or second if rangers have a few brain farts. 

That would be about 8/9 wins from 11.

Very good form and will likely just have us reflecting on what might have been. 

13 hours ago, number-16 said:

We're in the race for the ****ing title.

Especially with Haring and Uche still to come back.

better believe it impression I have is mid March things will look very very interesting/exciting

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I am certain that you being certain is certainly incorrect. That is the only certainty. 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

A tear stained post if ever there was one. 

crybaby.jpg.7aeb55c5930491b6b3bfa403149f4c4c.jpg

13 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Agree, its a poor mentality to have, not shared by the Bigot Twins, which hasn't served us well in the past at seasons end.

In general, Levein deserves some credit for belatedly introducing some much needed  width to the team.

However we are still only a couple of injuries away from relying on MacLean again to score goals.

Anything less than third is a failure, imho.

People on this thread finding negatives in last night are either Hibs fans that are hurting or hearts fan who should just stop watching football as they clearly don't enjoy/get it.

23 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Agree, its a poor mentality to have, not shared by the Bigot Twins, which hasn't served us well in the past at seasons end.

In general, Levein deserves some credit for belatedly introducing some much needed  width to the team.

However we are still only a couple of injuries away from relying on MacLean again to score goals.

Anything less than third is a failure, imho.

Based on?

3 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

So you haven’t just moved the goalposts from a 5th/6th place finish being ‘certain’ to ‘credible’?

Behave. You’ve embarrassed yourself yet again. 

On topic, of course we are in the race for second. 3 points behind with two games left against everyone above us bar Killie. With our best players returning, it’s so clear to see the improvement in our performances and results. Looking forward to the run in. 

You're embarassing yourself. Poring over every word of my post in an attempt to find some linguistic loophole that doesn't exist. 

Back on topic, it will be a close run in but I don't see Celtic dropping many points. Anyone who thinks we will come anywhere near Celtic is kidding themself. Imo.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Back on topic, it will be a close run in but I don't see Celtic dropping many points. Anyone who thinks we will come anywhere near Celtic is kidding themself. Imo.

So you think Celtic will finish 2nd without dropping many points?  Seems a bit silly really.

Captain Sausage
15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're embarassing yourself. Poring over every word of my post in an attempt to find some linguistic loophole that doesn't exist. 

Have a go at me for a ‘linguistic loophole’ and then move the goalposts again!

SECOND place. Are Celtic our competition for that spot? 

Given your history of predictions, I’m confident another 4 months will prove you a slaver once more. 

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Given your history of predictions, I’m confident another 4 microseconds will prove you a slaver once more. 

JTJ east whitburn
18 hours ago, number-16 said:

We're in the race for the ****ing title.

Especially with Haring and Uche still to come back.

This !!

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Can someone please take Old Shep out into the field and put him out his misery :rofl:

And leave us without a manager?

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Given your history of predictions, I’m confident another 4 months will prove you a slaver once more. 

So no-one actually thinks we will challenge for the league. That's a relief. I'm sure I read one or two posters mentioning the possibility, earlier in thr thread. It was far-fetched back in September when Celtic were stuck in 1st gear but now, it would be ridiculous.  

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

So you think Celtic will finish 2nd without dropping many points?  Seems a bit silly really.

expecting a share of the points tomorrow at Perth.

18 hours ago, RobNox said:

I agree, the hun friendly refs will most likely see to it that they get 2nd place.  

A very prophetic post. Four penalties today FFS!

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Minimum expectation is 4th. It's good that we're not embarrassing ourselves currently. Think Rangers are too strong atm so i would be happy with 3rd.

Football wise yes if it was a level playing field. Unfortunately our Glasgow dominated beaks will never let it happen. Dallas's performance today is clear evidence of this. It will be a Rangers friendly official at Pittodrie midweek.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So no-one actually thinks we will challenge for the league. That's a relief. I'm sure I read one or two posters mentioning the possibility, earlier in thr thread. It was far-fetched back in September when Celtic were stuck in 1st gear but now, it would be ridiculous.  

Kyle Lafferty still going to be the top goalscorer in the SPL this season?