Are we in the race for second place?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Three points behind on the back of a couple of very good wins. Our best players coming back. Rangers have a game in hand, but we would have been even closer without the Dundee brainfart.

We can do this, can't we?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• Alex Kintner

• Captain Sausage

• Mr Elwood P

2 minutes ago, number-16 said:

We're in the race for the ****ing title.

Especially with Haring and Uche still to come back.

Eh naw!

tartofmidlothian
2 minutes ago, number-16 said:

An optimist! :yas:

I wouldn’t say so at the moment. We’re certainly in with a chance of top 4. Two good wins on the trott but we need to show a level of consistency over a longer period of time which Killie and Aberdeen have done and as we did at the start of the season. Time will tell but certainly more optimistic with Uche and Haring still to return. 

alwaysthereinspirit
Just now, Jamboelite said:

Eh naw!

Eh aye, :jambobanana: 

As long as mathematically we are in it then we are in it. At least that's what I'm going with. Europe and a cup win will I guess do at a push.

Bazzas right boot

Yes, but it will be tight. 

Aberdeen and celtic at Tynecastle this round, rangers away. 

Taking away first place as a realistic target now, we could do with Celtic battering rangers and Aberdeen every game. 

Clarke gutted we done to to them what they did at Tynecastle, but we done it in style. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I wouldn’t say so at the moment. We’re certainly in with a chance of top 4. Two good wins on the trott but we need to show a level of consistency over a longer period of time which Killie and Aberdeen have done and as we did at the start of the season. Time will tell but certainly more optimistic with Uche and Haring still to return. 

5 wins out of 6, including an away derby, tricky cup tie, game against a team who hadn’t conceded in 6 and a game against the most in form team in the country. I’d say that’s pretty consistent despite a blip against Dundee. 

1 minute ago, clouston1992 said:

5 wins out of 6, including an away derby, tricky cup tie, game against a team who hadn’t conceded in 6 and a game against the most in form team in the country. I’d say that’s pretty consistent despite a blip against Dundee. 

We’ve been decent recently bar Dundee but we’ll need to be as good in the next 5 if we’re to challenge for 2nd. We’ve got a decent run of fixtures ahead though. 

feedtheroman2
22 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Yaaaaasssss!!!! My thoughts exactly ???

No. We can't seem to beat the huns. If we do beat them then absolutely but its not looking like it. I think 'honest mistakes' start to increase as we get to the end of the season too. 

I think our time has been and gone this season. Losing Berra, Souttar, Uche & Naismith ****ed everything. We should finish in a Europa League spot though, I think we have a better squad than Killie and Aberdeen. 

We've managed to stay in touch despite 4-5 months of terrible injuries to the spine of the team that was smashing the league in the first round of fixtures.

35 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

One game at a time.

Great win tonight, but we need to follow it up with another one on Wednesday.

This. Let’s not do a Hibs. Just our feet on the ground. Couple of games ago we got turned over by the bottom team at Tynecastle. Let’s just enjoy our very good win and get set up for the next one.

5 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

I think Rangers will probably secure 2nd, but 3rd/4th will be a 3 way fight. Although wont rule StJohnstone out just yet.

I agree, the hun friendly refs will most likely see to it that they get 2nd place.  

Ehh....no. Great result but sitting back for 45mins defending a 1 goal lead against Killie is not the measure of a challenger for the top places. We'll certainly finish 5th or 6th.

26 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ehh....no. Great result but sitting back for 45mins defending a 1 goal lead against Killie is not the measure of a challenger for the top places. We'll certainly finish 5th or 6th.

Are you Steve Clarke ?

3 points off 2nd at the moment and still with matches to play against the other challengers. Of course we are in the race for second. Only a fool would attempt to argue that we are not.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Three points behind on the back of a couple of very good wins. Our best players coming back. Rangers have a game in hand, but we would have been even closer without the Dundee brainfart.

We can do this, can't we?

I said before the season started we would split the old firm.

I still think the same.

It really is a massive week for Rangers. They played Aberdeen away in the league and Kilmarnock away in the cup. Could be season over with us 3 points behind them or they could be clear in 2nd and in the hat for the Quarter Finals. Could do with a draw in Aberdeen's next two games to aid our chances of getting 2nd.

39 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We will finish between 2nd and 4th and we will also play at Hampden this season. Feel free to bookmark and come back to apologise later on.

Absolutely not. We are still far from good enough. I expect us to go well into the end of the season but we are still lacking technically. Far too many players too quick to lump the ball forward. As good as Berra is for us, his distribution is utterly appalling. 

Not inconceivable we could finish third though. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We will finish between 2nd and 4th and we will also play at Hampden this season. Feel free to bookmark and come back to apologise later on.

So that will be third place and a semi-final then

3 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

So that will be third place and a semi-final then

Depends when we have to play Celtic. I'd take Celtic in the quarter finals at Tynecastle and if Kilmarnock beat Rangers in the cup it is wide open. We've beat every team in the league apart from Rangers at least once this season so a Scottish Cup win isn't inconceivable. We stopped Celtic's unbeaten run, perhaps we could stop their treble treble. I'd tend to think Rangers will finish 2nd but they are still very fragile. We could be 2nd by the end of February. 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'd take grinding out a win over whoever was joint second every day of the week. A lot of posters on here are far too dismissive of Kilmarnock under Clarke - yes their budget and attendances are much smaller than us or indeed any of the other teams in the top 5, but they're a very decent side (especially at home), as their 2018 points tally shows. Any win at their ground is good enough for me, and for all our 'sitting back' they barely created a chance 2nd half. 

2 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

We'll be top 4 come the end of the season imo.

Cup on the other hand....

Agree, think we might just have a good cup run right to the end ! Top four would be good, 2nd im not sure we can do

Fozzyonthefence

No.  But I’ll take 6th and a cup win. 

I think we’ll finish 4th.  Above Killie (who will miss Stewart) but behind Aberdeen, Sevco and Celtic.

The factual answer very clearly is that we are in a race to win the league.  Were it not for disaster results we'd be at the top.

I for one am not saying we're in a race for anything other than to do the double.

Wouldn't put much money on it but it's entirely possible.