Bus wise...Gilmerton to Wallyford?

Mr Sifter

Evening guys, hoping for some local knowledge regarding the above. 

My my son has got himself a job at Wallyford and we are up in Gilmerton. He needs to be there for about 7:40 each morning, but the ‘journey planner’ on the LRT website leaves a lot to be desired. 

Does anyone know the quickest way from A to B? Any help/info appreciated ????

Just now, Glottis said:

Google maps is often good for public transport routes too,

Cheers bud I’ll have a look at that later. To be honest I’m no even sure if he should be heading into town before gettin out to Wallyford, or whether heading to Dalkeith first might be a better shout? 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Cheers Mikey, I was using the app bit that was suggesting jumping on buses that were heading to Silverknowes ffs!

that link you’ve given tells me the 6:19am 31 will get him to Princes St where he can catch the 104 out to Wallyford. Perfect. 

Cheers for that ??

10 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Cheers Mikey, I was using the app bit that was suggesting jumping on buses that were heading to Silverknowes ffs!

that link you’ve given tells me the 6:19am 31 will get him to Princes St where he can catch the 104 out to Wallyford. Perfect. 

Cheers for that ??

The 113 also goes from Princes Street to wallyford but I'd be tempted to get a train, takes 11 minutes. Leaves Waverley at 7.13 gets to Wallyford at 7.24 so perfect timing.

North Berwick Jambo

Daft question but rather than go all the way into town then out again is it not quicker to walk to Dalkeith Rd (the ERI) and get the 111 (I think that’s the correct number) direct to Mussy/Wallyford? I am sure they start about 7am. 

Edited by Ibiza Jambo

Riddley Walker

I'd avoid town probably. Getting a train from Waverley might be quicker overall but it's quite a bit more expensive. 

You can get the 3 from Gilmerton to Dalkeith. You can also get directly from Dalkeith to Musselburgh on the 140 but it goes into the centre and not the Wallyford side, so he'd have to get a 44 up or about a 30 minute walk.

That or the train are the only 2 realistic options on public transport 

35 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I'd avoid town probably. Getting a train from Waverley might be quicker overall but it's quite a bit more expensive. 

You can get the 3 from Gilmerton to Dalkeith. You can also get directly from Dalkeith to Musselburgh on the 140 but it goes into the centre and not the Wallyford side, so he'd have to get a 44 up or about a 30 minute walk.

That or the train are the only 2 realistic options on public transport 

Brilliant mate. Knew this place would provide a comprehensive answer!!

appreciated, cheers ??

If he gets into town then the 104(leave from Princes Street every 30 mins) will take him to Wallyford and it's an express bus that misses out Musselburgh by taking the bypass so will cut out on traffic.There is one that will get him into Wallyford for around 7:20

Edited by vegas-voss