Career Change Advice

Captain Canada

Captain Canada

I feel like I'm at a bit of a crossroads jobs-wise at the moment and wondered if anyone had any experience of changing careers to do something completely different? 

I've got 20 years' experience in copywriting and marketing but feel like a change would be beneficial for a number of reasons. 

I had thought about using my skills in the charity sector, but I can't afford to take a significant drop in salary as I've got a family to support. 

Are there any jobs out there that pay well where transferable skills and ability to do the job are valued over specific industry experience? 

I love driving and have looked at various jobs but it's been difficult to get an accurate idea of earnings. 

Any help or advice from someone who's been through something similar would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Find a field that you want to get into. Find a role that interests you within that field. It would help if your skills are transferable in some way that can be demonstrated. Take a role that isn't the one you want if you need to and can afford to, sometimes short term pain can pay off in the long run. It's sometimes necessary to take a step back to move forwards. I've been there and it paid off.

Edit: what you currently do does not matter a jot if your changing fields. It's how you can sell yourself into another role by highlighting that you have the skills and experience necessary for the job you want.

Edited by IronJambo

17 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I feel like I'm at a bit of a crossroads jobs-wise at the moment and wondered if anyone had any experience of changing careers to do something completely different? 

I've got 20 years' experience in copywriting and marketing but feel like a change would be beneficial for a number of reasons. 

I had thought about using my skills in the charity sector, but I can't afford to take a significant drop in salary as I've got a family to support. 

Are there any jobs out there that pay well where transferable skills and ability to do the job are valued over specific industry experience? 

I love driving and have looked at various jobs but it's been difficult to get an accurate idea of earnings. 

Any help or advice from someone who's been through something similar would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Depends on what your driving . Van drivers money isnt usually great , taxi drivers isnt as lucrative as it used to be

Car transporter drivers however can make 50k a year , HGV drivers usually pretty well paid

LRT Busses is 26 or 28k a year for the buses

Captain Canada

Thanks IronJambo. 

Ideally I'd like to work for a charity or do a driving job as those are two things I'd feel much happier doing. 

I've got previous commercial driving experience and have done a lot of volunteering work with charities. I'm struggling a bit to find a way to make either of those a reality though due to finances. 

Maybe I should find a part-time role doing my current job and find another part-time role doing something I feel more passionate about. 

Captain Canada
5 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Depends on what your driving . Van drivers money isnt usually great , taxi drivers isnt as lucrative as it used to be

Car transporter drivers however can make 50k a year , HGV drivers usually pretty well paid

LRT Busses is 26 or 28k a year for the buses

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into van driving but from what I can tell, the advertised earnings are quite different from the reality. 

Suppose it’s all about the pennies at the end of the day, but if driving is your bag, have you considered couriering? The big companies like DHL always seem to be lookin for folk? Probably worth doin a bit research into the potential earnings firstly tho (sites like indeed often give good feedback on specific companies). 

In general though, I’d say go for it. I’ve recently changed career after 16 years, and I’m thoroughly enjoying the change in my life/days/working pattern. 

Do your homework, weigh up the pros and cons, and if you think it’ll work out for you, then go for it, dont hesitate!!

good luck ??

2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into van driving but from what I can tell, the advertised earnings are quite different from the reality. 

If you are talking about a DPD franchise or similar only go for it if you like stress and long hours. I went for it before xmas and it works out to 2 days work to pay the van off every week then probably the best part of another day for fuel etc  so the 30k they say you earn quickly looks like 20k before tax oh and you get charged a fee If your sick and your van isn't out and you don't get holidays. I went to lothian instead and start there soon it's just under 25k a year for 39hrs pw and there seems to be plenty over time to bump it up a wee bit.

3 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

Thanks 

I do/did something similar to you - I’m an conceptual advertising creative/copywriter  but got made redundant last year and decided to start looking in to a slight career change because I was definitely feeling burned out due to ridiculous time pressures/tiny budgets/crazy expectations.

I did have a look in to doing something completely different but couldn’t really afford to half my salary so I’ve gone to work for a Swedish tech company (with an Edinburgh office) as it’s a great opportunity to get in to a growing sector in this city. Love the culture/work ethic in the tech industry - so much more freedom and positivity compared to the Scottish ad scene.

Captain Canada

Thanks very much for all the replies, I really appreciate it. 

I think I just need to focus on what I really want to do and go for it. Hopefully everything else will then fall into place.  

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I changed jobs when I was 38 and it’s the best thing I ever did. Retirement not too far away now

What were you doing and what did you switch to? 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Perspective is everything ?

Absolutely! :lol:

Seriously though, I made a fairly drastic career change in my early 30's and I'm in the middle of another one in my mid 40's.

I've had to take a fair drop in income but I need to spend less time at sea now that I have a wee laddie to chase around.

I'd always advise someone to take the jump. ?