Speeding Fine

Romulus

With modern cars and technology speed limits should really be going up not down. Braking distances can be much shorter now on newer cars, improved handling and increasing electronic intervention to aid braking.

Drive to the conditions if course but there's really no reason the motorway speed limit couldn't be 80 or 90. If a clapped out wagon is allowed to do 60 then a modern saloon can comfortably do 50% more. 

I would of course couple this with proper cycle lanes to protect them in town as they are the only reason for a 20mph limit anywhere...as for the rest, 'dont walk into the road' would suffice.

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

His name is Paul, last name begins with a ‘B’ (Italian sounding) used to drive with a guy called Mike? 

Yes

remember them both well. ?

12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Why would you even think about fighting it ? 

You don't have a leg to stand on. 

Isnt there a coverage for speedos being slightly out ?

On 29/01/2019 at 07:13, AlphonseCapone said:

Good knowledgeable post. 

What's your opinion on the 20mph speed limits in the city centre? I'm not convinced it was required or whether it's made any difference. 

The answer is probably that it has made a difference but no it's not required.  (in my opinion)

There will always be some risk involved otherwise we would go back to having someone walk in front of us waving a flag, that would cut the deaths and injuries right down.

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

His name is Paul, last name begins with a ‘B’ (Italian sounding) used to drive with a guy called Mike? 

Did Mike have a Polish surname beginning with K?

I suppose there could be more than 1 taxi driver called Mike right enough.  :whistling:  

Edited by graygo

13 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Isnt there a coverage for speedos being slightly out ?

would imagine they over estimate the speed anyway, im sure my speedo runs at 2mph faster than my sat nav speed.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

would imagine they over estimate the speed anyway, im sure my speedo runs at 2mph faster than my sat nav speed.

Correct, it's not by accident.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, graygo said:

I suppose there could be more than 1 taxi driver called Mike right enough.  :whistling:  

‘Don’t know Mike, only spoke to him a couple of times. 

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Our speedo is 2mph slower than the sat nav

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Don’t know Mike, only spoke to him a couple of times. 

Our speedo is 2mph slower than the sat nav

That's how it should be, I misread the other post.

luckyBatistuta
44 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's how it should be, I misread the other post.

Those eyes are getting old mind 

The Old Tolbooth

I was done for doing 40 in a 30 zone, I had no idea they had reduced the area to a 30 zone as it used to be a 40 zone as there's a distinct lack of signs telling drivers this, I was hit with 3 points and a £100 fine, that was about 4 years ago now and I have no idea how long it stays on my licence for. 

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was done for doing 40 in a 30 zone, I had no idea they had reduced the area to a 30 zone as it used to be a 40 zone as there's a distinct lack of signs telling drivers this, I was hit with 3 points and a £100 fine, that was about 4 years ago now and I have no idea how long it stays on my licence for. 

iirc points stay on your licence for 2 years

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Not 100% about now, but it was the case that the points were only valid for 3 years, but remained on your licence for 4 years. 

The Old Tolbooth
15 hours ago, milky_26 said:

iirc points stay on your licence for 2 years

14 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not 100% about now, but it was the case that the points were only valid for 3 years, but remained on your licence for 4 years. 

Cheers lads, and apologies for hijacking the thread a bit. 

18 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Lampposts.

25 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I managed to miss them. 

Indicates 30 mph, unless otherwise signed, irrelevant of number big lanes.

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Indicates 30 mph, unless otherwise signed, irrelevant of number big lanes.

Only, they didn't, as I went back up there and checked and there was literally nothing at the time telling you it was reduced to a 30 zone, you could see where the 40 signs used to be though, and after I complained about it, there was one 30 sign put up, but I don't think my shouting made the difference as it was around a year later. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Only, they didn't, as I went back up there and checked and there was literally nothing at the time telling you it was reduced to a 30 zone, you could see where the 40 signs used to be though, and after I complained about it, there was one 30 sign put up, but I don't think my shouting made the difference as it was around a year later. 

Where is it? 

Was it a stretch of road that had 30 that went up to 40, possibly heading out of town. 

If so there would be no need for a 30 sign. But there would have been small repeater signs for the 40 which would have been removed as well. 

• 1 month later...

I just got done on the M25,  96 mph, poxy camera on an overhead gantry.

3 points anf £100 fine. 

Harry Potter
27 minutes ago, swavkav said:

3 points anf £100 fine. 

TBF bit fast bud, lol lucky to get that, 4 mph off a ban but hey ho hope your ok

58 minutes ago, swavkav said:

3 points anf £100 fine. 

You done well, it's often hard to break 50 on the M25

About 5 years ago on my way to a nightshift pulled away from lights and was doing double the speed limit, cop car right behind me that i didn't notice. Pulled me over and had a chat then i was on my way, still have a clean license to this day. Good guy that copper.

skinnybob72

If they really wanted to stop speeding you would get a ban rather than a fine, but it’s really just another form of tax. There’s no money to be made from a ban but it would make you think twice if you knew you were going to be subjected to public transport for 3 months. 

Guest Paul Allen
9 minutes ago, TheStig said:

About 5 years ago on my way to a nightshift pulled away from lights and was doing double the speed limit, cop car right behind me that i didn't notice. Pulled me over and had a chat then i was on my way, still have a clean license to this day. Good guy that copper.

Just as well given your occupation mate.

On 30/01/2019 at 20:38, graygo said:

Ha, yes he did have a polish sounding surname.

On 28/01/2019 at 16:37, Herbert said:

If it's a camera then 31mph is enough to get you a ticket now. They changed the law in November I think and you are gonna get points and a fine. I know someone that got 3 points and a 2k fine. He said you need to go to court and you get either 3 or 6 points and I think it was either a 1200 or 2000 fine on top of the points. If you do 40mph in a 30 it's a instant ban. If it's a cop car that pulls you over they still have discretion on the 10%+2.

I can't find anything about any law change, could you direct me?

On 28/01/2019 at 14:58, Mort said:

Been trying to do some online research but no luck.

Done with doing 35 in a 30 zone on a main road. RAC advises 10% + 2 mph you can get away with.

Do i have any chance of fighting this or has anyone done this successfully before?

If you have been done for doing 35 the likelihood is that your speedometer would have been showing about 37.  Different cars have different accuracies though generally at that sort of range many cars show about 1-2mph over, when you get up past 70 it is generally about 3-4mph over. You can find out by putting a Sat Nav (Tom Tom) on and comparing your speedo to what the Sat Nav says. Sat Nav is usually more accurate.

The +2 people talk about doesn't relate to the speed you have been done at, it relates to what your speedo says, so if your speedo said 35 when your speed is recorded there is a possibility you might have got away with it, in your case it's not about what your speedo showed. 

For all those encouraged by the thread title, I would like to say: No! Speeding *isn't* fine.

2 hours ago, H2 said:

I can't find anything about any law change, could you direct me?

I was told it's on the letter they send out.

14 hours ago, TheStig said:

I got stopped on the Drumochter double carriageway part of the A9 doing around 80 and pulled into a lay-by by the police car. As the guy was lecturing me a Mercedes and a Jaguar shot past doing what looked like well over the ton. The cop ran towards his car and shouted at me to be careful in future and took off in hot pursuit of them. 

Lucky escape there.

About a week after I passed my test I was coming home on leave, folks were still in Gala at the time. I dropped a mate off in Bilston then was driving through peebles at 1 in the morning. As the road was empty apart from me, i was doing just under 90 in a 30 zone (it's ok, I know how stupid that was) and then the blue light was flashing behind me. I was shitting myself. The copper popped his headin, me and another mate were both still in uniform as we finished guard duty early evening and jumped straight in the car. Copper said to be more careful on future and sent me on my way.

Always drove home in uniform from then on, but never at such stupid speeds in built up areas.

Got back to my car once and there was a sticker on the windscreen.

Parking fine it said.

I thought 'aww, that's nice".

On 09/03/2019 at 22:19, Harry Potter said:

TBF bit fast bud, lol lucky to get that, 4 mph off a ban but hey ho hope your ok

I thought I was going faster, extremely lucky I am. 

On 09/03/2019 at 22:50, IronJambo said:

You done well, it's often hard to break 50 on the M25

Was at about 10 to midnight on a Sunday night. 

The Old Tolbooth
On 10/03/2019 at 08:48, BarneyBattles said:

The point is that if there's a series of lamp posts and no signs telling you it's a 40, or national speed limit zone etc.  then you (should) know it's a 30 zone,  they don't have to tell you,  although in your example it would have been helpful. 

Well yes, it would have been, because that road for years was a 40 zone and I was used to driving it as a 40 zone, quite a few people were caught out I believe. Anyway the pints came off my licence last week so it's all good again. 

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

:phface:

The very same day I made a phone call to the local swimming baths.

I said ‘is that the local swimming baths’?

Girl said ‘depends on where you are calling from’.

I hung up.

No sympathy for speeding at all. Speed kills it is as simple as that.  Driving a car can be you effectively driving a weapon of destruction.  

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No sympathy for speeding at all. Speed kills it is as simple as that.  Driving a car can be you effectively driving a weapon of destruction.  

Do you get any other sort of weapons?  A weapon of construction maybe?

Agree with your point regards speeding though.

Just now, Boris said:

Dunnom big B there are a few weapons on here.

Just now, Boris said:

:rofl:Aye, you're not wrong there either!

And yes, I fully include myself under that label.

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

Scottish Parliament architect?