Ridiculously cheap apparently.

Which perhaps tells you why they have gone belly up

Another example of the nonsense that compeition is everything

It also shows those major suppliers might not be ripping people off after all

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Which perhaps tells you why they have gone belly up

Another example of the nonsense that compeition is everything

It also shows those major suppliers might not be ripping people off after all

My concern is that it's the big boys forcing the wee boys to charge low prices which forces them under allowing the big boys to then shaft us as there is no competition

1 hour ago, graygo said:

My concern is that it's the big boys forcing the wee boys to charge low prices which forces them under allowing the big boys to then shaft us as there is no competition

Really..think about what you have posted

The moans and groans have all been about the big boys ripping the public off  (when the reality is people are too lazy to bother looking for better deals). The big boys charge more realistic prices and even at that some are making a loss and you blame them for smaller companies going bust !!

The public are spoon fed by the media and of course our politicians won't discuss the truth but will blame everyone else but themselves though they with many of their green tariffs are the cause of higher prices than would be nec.

A prime example are smart meters which have been promoted as though they reduce usage on their own and people buy it

Th so called big boys make no more than 5% at best in the price per unit..hardly ripping people off

36 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Really..think about what you have posted

The moans and groans have all been about the big boys ripping the public off  (when the reality is people are too lazy to bother looking for better deals). The big boys charge more realistic prices and even at that some are making a loss and you blame them for smaller companies going bust !!

The public are spoon fed by the media and of course our politicians won't discuss the truth but will blame everyone else but themselves though they with many of their green tariffs are the cause of higher prices than would be nec.

A prime example are smart meters which have been promoted as though they reduce usage on their own and people buy it

Th so called big boys make no more than 5% at best in the price per unit..hardly ripping people off

I have thought about it thanks.

I've never seen a claim that smart meters can reduce bills on their own, rather that they can show you where you are using most energy and can look to reduce it. Also you can't blame the  power companies for rolling out the meters, the government have set targets for this.

I won't shed a tear that they only make 5%  when this equates to hundreds of millions of pounds.

Hannibal Lecter

My electricity provider up until a couple of months ago. That's my previous 2 electricity suppliers bust as I was with Spark prior to Our Power.

3 hours ago, graygo said:

I've never seen a claim that smart meters can reduce bills on their own, rather that they can show you where you are using most energy and can look to reduce it. Also you can't blame the  power companies for rolling out the meters, the government have set targets for this.

I won't shed a tear that they only make 5%  when this equates to hundreds of millions of pounds.

There is sod all margin in retail, I used to work in the industry for nearly 40 years and the profit is all in Transmission and Distribution (the wires business and where all the ex REC’s make their money) along with Generation. The point being, the big six make hardly anything from retail and Joe Bloggs’s £50 per month DD, lucky if its £2.00 profit, hence why the new small Supplier’s struggle to compete. 

I know for a fact that some of the big six would love to get rid of their supply businesses (all hassle) and concentrate on Generation and Distribution 

4 hours ago, graygo said:

And no doubt you will say the same about Supermarkets, Banks, Car Insurance, Petrol companies, Water companies etc

Yet you're pension is tied up in this type of company and you seemingly seem oblivious to the fact that companies have to make profits to survive and investments need to be successful to help pay for the pensions you will require and services you may need in the future...……..oh and never mind the jobs these companies bring with them

The seeming lack of understanding by some of how the world works staggers me and you seem happy to see people made redundant, pensions cut in half, profits slashed....good to see that in your world you don't have any connection with supermarkets for example who make more than the energy suppliers or the banking system which you are clearly not part of given it may make a large profit and upset you, you clearly will have no friends or relatives  who work in an industry where profit can be made in case its too much for you to stomach.

PS where did I blame the power companies...I think I know how it works given I was involved in smart meters in the first place

Profits make the world go around and yet for some they just can't see the bigger picture until it is pointed out to them and too often our media friends(and now of course social media) look only at the headline and not the consequences

Sorry I don't think 5% is unreasonable as a profit margin

I'm happy to have companies and industries looked at but too many times it results in increasing rather than reducing the problems and if we looked at very company and industry as closely as we do energy there would be a few red faces .

fabienleclerq
On 25/01/2019 at 17:25, graygo said:

That's not what's happened or happening. The smaller companies tried to undercut the bigger ones, they also dont have the same rules as the bigger ones as they are so small and their behaviour is pretty bad in my experience.

The big boys don't make a big profit per customer, the only people shafting the smaller ones are themselves.

Geoff Kilpatrick
On 26/01/2019 at 12:13, CJGJ said:

And no doubt you will say the same about Supermarkets, Banks, Car Insurance, Petrol companies, Water companies etc

Yet you're pension is tied up in this type of company and you seemingly seem oblivious to the fact that companies have to make profits to survive and investments need to be successful to help pay for the pensions you will require and services you may need in the future...……..oh and never mind the jobs these companies bring with them

The seeming lack of understanding by some of how the world works staggers me and you seem happy to see people made redundant, pensions cut in half, profits slashed....good to see that in your world you don't have any connection with supermarkets for example who make more than the energy suppliers or the banking system which you are clearly not part of given it may make a large profit and upset you, you clearly will have no friends or relatives  who work in an industry where profit can be made in case its too much for you to stomach.

PS where did I blame the power companies...I think I know how it works given I was involved in smart meters in the first place

Profits make the world go around and yet for some they just can't see the bigger picture until it is pointed out to them and too often our media friends(and now of course social media) look only at the headline and not the consequences

I'm happy to have companies and industries looked at but too many times it results in increasing rather than reducing the problems and if we looked at very company and industry as closely as we do energy there would be a few red faces .

Are you declaring an interest? Who do you work for?

This industry is turmoil.

Next similar catastrophe will be the Challenger Bank business model.

Power generation and banking subsidy make the CAP look like a penny arcade.

On 25/01/2019 at 17:15, heartsfc_fan said:

Spark Energy were another one fairly recently that went bust. Firm based in the Scottish borders.

Spark Energy is still operating - bought out by OVO, but still trading as Spark Energy :thumbsup:

On 26/01/2019 at 01:13, CJGJ said:

Some fair points in there but by Christ you're not half a patronising git. I'm not 6 years old. 

On 25/01/2019 at 17:15, heartsfc_fan said:

Spark Energy were another one fairly recently that went bust. Firm based in the Scottish borders.

I don't know the details about Our Power, but Spark owed a huge bill to the regulator.

Spark also had an office in Edinburgh for their IT.