Happy Burns Day everyone

Crete

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Burns is a pile if kak

Is that written in some kind of Burnsian dialect?

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Haggis is rancid.

You’re obviously buying the cheap stuff. Love a bit haggis, especially if I catch it wild myself.

Better call Saul
19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’re obviously buying the cheap stuff. Love a bit haggis, especially if I catch it wild myself.

Where do you hunt your haggis ? 

8 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Tried to get some this morning. All they had left was battery cage haggis. Poor things legs were all the same size. 

Enough to turn you to veganism!

Shanks said no

Having ours on Sunday when the boy returns from a couple of days away. Apart from the chippie it’s months since I last had a haggis tea. 

I'm hoping the Chinese has haggis kungo po the night. I'll maybe settle for shredded haggis with chilli sauce.

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Burns is a pile if kak

'Wha will be a traitor knave, wha will fill a coward's grave, wha sae base as be a slave, let him turn an flee'.

Class!

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Pentland Hills is the best place for hunting haggis this time of year

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Barack said:

No. I've sampled the finest rancid Haggis

Its rancid. 

You’re not right in the head :laugh2:

2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

38 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

This, although you have to disable them with your first shot, otherwise they will tear you to pieces.

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I'm hoping the Chinese has haggis kungo po the night. I'll maybe settle for shredded haggis with chilli sauce.

:laugh2:sounds good

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

A Haggis that recently answered to the name Fido. Nap. 

3 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Had vegetarian haggis last night, nice and tastie but gave me a wind issue 

I've had vegan haggis once.  It was quite good.  I like the genuine stuff, but only once in a while.

3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Having Haggis tonight washed down with a couple of Innis and Gunn's. Have great day everyone. 

I've got my supply of Innis and Gunn cooling in the fridge, and a couple of nice single malts waiting for the toasts.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Haggis tonight cooking as I type. No dram with it though as the taste of both spoil the flavours, I never got the idea that whisky goes with food. Good bottle of The Joker instead. 

Some Burns stuff can be a bit cringey especially around his birthday but the poems and song lyrics he wrote seem to resonate with a lot of people.

1 hour ago, superjack said:

I love my haggis, prefer them fresh. We keep some on the croft, so I killed fresh before I left for work .

I’ll be glad once this days over. Had to replace the thatch the other day. I’d gone out to watch the local caber toss team, in the cup, and returned to find the neighbours haggi had got out and had a good feast on it. If it happens again he’s going to wish he’d emigrated to Canada.

been here before
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

...but the poems and song lyrics he wrote seem to resonate with a lot of people.

So does Phil Collins and he's utterly ****in abysmal too.

5 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

lots of haggis caught on selkirk  hill.

couple of pics from the annual hunt

haggis.jpg

haggis2.jpg

21 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Ah the classic judging things by today's standards. 

Exactly. People in 50 years time will look back at us now and wonder WTF!

2 hours ago, gjcc said:

I’ll be glad once this days over. Had to replace the thatch the other day. I’d gone out to watch the local caber toss team, in the cup, and returned to find the neighbours haggi had got out and had a good feast on it. If it happens again he’s going to wish he’d emigrated to Canada.

I took a photo from this morning, choosing my harvest with the help of my haggis dog.

FB_IMG_1548454949101.jpg

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yep. The guilt by association in relation to historical figures is equally applicable to all of us.

Ever taken a flight? You've helped destroy the planet.

Ever bought something wrapped in plastic? You've contributed to the pollution of the oceans.

Ever eyed up a member of the opposite sex in a bar without asking permission first? You're a rapist.

Ever worn a pair of brand name trainers? You've forced south-east Asian children into sweat shops.

The current loudest shouters (much like the preachers of Burns' day) are oblivious to their hypocrisy.

True Jonesy and I guess some of the negative comments are from those patriotic(not so) against Indy types. We have the greatest poet of all time and will never be surpassed. Why can't we just be Scottish and enjoy our achievements and people. I'm sure everyone has a skeleton in their cupboard or at least a bone. 

49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not particularly pro-independence myself (nor would I describe Burns as the greatest poet of all time - surely than can not be such a person!), but definitely anti-hypocrisy, especially from the glowing screen/dull mind brigade!

And yes, nothing wrong with celebrating the achievements and work of those like us.

Apologies Jonesy for any assumptions but fed up with all and sundry attacking Scotland. I can't think of any other poet who is revered or celebrated all over the world hence my own feelings on Burns. 

23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No worries, Roxy!

And true enough, Burns is celebrated worldwide, but especially English speaking countries and in Russia. His themes are universal. A good equivalent in eastern culture would be Li Bai, the Chinese poet. Well worth reading some of the translations. He, too, was a bit of a rebel, and his work beautiful.

I know Russia likes him probably because of his down to earth prose and humble words. Ireland have a cigarette called Sweet Afton. I'm not overly enthused with poetry but see Burns as more than just a poet and I think other people think that too. His words say many things and would appear to resonate with a lot of people. 

4 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

We have the greatest poet of all time and will never be surpassed. Why can't we just be Scottish and enjoy our achievements and people. I'm sure everyone has a skeleton in their cupboard or at least a bone. 

3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

fed up with all and sundry attacking Scotland. I can't think of any other poet who is revered or celebrated all over the world hence my own feelings on Burns. 

Well said!!  :thumb:

All roads lead to Gorgie
13 hours ago, been here before said:

So does Phil Collins and he's utterly ****in abysmal too.

Couldn't agree more. :)

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Couldn't agree more. :)

We have a Scotsman that's celebrated in many countries. Can't think of too many other folk who have gained respect like that. At least try and have a little pride in your own country. The Irish celebrate St Patrick's day and enjoy this little bit of patriotism so why can't we without the immature remarks. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

We have a Scotsman that's celebrated in many countries. Can't think of too many other folk who have gained respect like that. At least try and have a little pride in your own country. The Irish celebrate St Patrick's day and enjoy this little bit of patriotism so why can't we without the immature remarks. 

I was talking about Phil Collins there. I already said Burns he was admired by many people. I said earlier that some of the Burns supper stuff is a bit over the top at times, I didn't say Burns wasn't any good. Nothing immature about that. I am a yes voter and have plenty pride in my country. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was talking about Phil Collins there. I already said Burns he was admired by many people. I said earlier that some of the Burns supper stuff is a bit over the top at times, I didn't say Burns wasn't any good. Nothing immature about that. I am a yes voter and have plenty pride in my country. Cheers.

Apologies matey. Just a tad fed up with all the anti Scottish stuff. May be getting a little sensitive on my old age. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Apologies matey. Just a tad fed up with all the anti Scottish stuff. May be getting a little sensitive on my old age. 

No worries. I like to look forward to a better Scotland and whilst we need to keep traditions alive sometimes we need to adapt them to the times we live in. That is kind of the direction I am in over Burns suppers.:thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

No worries. I like to look forward to a better Scotland and whilst we need to keep traditions alive sometimes we need to adapt them to the times we live in. That is kind of the direction I am in over Burns suppers.:thumbsup:

Cheers. Now let's do St Johnstone in Gorgie! 

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Cheers. Now let's do St Johnstone in Gorgie! 

In the pub on my way. Cmon Hearts. 

44 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That sounds pretty good.  :thumb:

Thanks.

A wee bit fresh green chilli and loads of black pepper too!

We took these pictures to send to my wife’s sister.

8AB7DD08-BA60-4934-B218-AE1728781249.jpeg

F9E889FB-12C6-4A01-AD9F-FBF08C6AA6A0.jpeg