Supermarket check outs.....!

Section Q

They're still at it....!

F.ck..g women shoppers who look totally surprised when it's time to pay in supermarkets. Then they go through the elaborate process of searching for their purse, still in shock. At what point did they think they might get their groceries for nothing. No consideration for us organised punters. End of rant....!!

2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

They're still at it....!

F.ck..g women shoppers who look totally surprised when it's time to pay in supermarkets. Then they go through the elaborate process of searching for their purse, still in shock. At what point did they think they might get their groceries for nothing. No consideration for us organised punters. End of rant....!!

Not just at supermarkets, buses too. Last bus I got... Wait at the bus stop for 10 minutes. Woman arrives with  a good few  minutes to spare. Bus arrives, do the supposed gentlemanly/respect your elders thing and allow her to board first (not even a thank you). Proceeds to rummage through her bag for her purse. Finds purse, decides to pause to comment on the horrible weather to the driver (whilst I’m half standing in said weather).  Proceeds to rummage through the pursefor correct change. Meanwhile muggins is standing waiting to board  properly in the pissing  rain, fare in hand. 

Glad I don’t use public transport often. 

Same women who are surprised that buses require money or a card to be used to gain carriage.

Stand at a bus stop for half an hour but only dig out the purse once on the bus.

36 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Not just at supermarkets, buses too. Last bus I got... Wait at the bus stop for 10 minutes. Woman arrives with  a good few  minutes to spare. Bus arrives, do the supposed gentlemanly/respect your elders thing and allow her to board first (not even a thank you). Proceeds to rummage through her bag for her purse. Finds purse, decides to pause to comment on the horrible weather to the driver (whilst I’m half standing in said weather).  Proceeds to rummage through the pursefor correct change. Meanwhile muggins is standing waiting to board  properly in the pissing  rain, fare in hand. 

Glad I don’t use public transport often. 

Must be the same old boiler in Tesco Penicuik.

People who state they want to pay for their purchase over the phone.    Yes by all means,  I'll do that now.     

Right... I'll just go upstairs and get my card.   

People who do not know how to use self-service checkouts infuriate me the most. If you're too stupid to work it out just use a normal checkout if it's available.

Or the people who seem to arranging a pension or mortgage at a cashpoint.

Or have 4 different cards they put in one after the other.

I JUST WANT £20 OUT FFS

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

People who do not know how to use self-service checkouts infuriate me the most. If you're too stupid to work it out just use a normal checkout if it's available.

While I can use them perfectly fine most of the time, they are incredibly slow and very temperamental. Why do the ones used by the checkout staff scan at 4 times the rate of self services ones? Not to mention the item you have just scanned being classed as unexpected in the bagging area. 

Also with some stores you need to make sure you sub-total before going to pay otherwise 3 for 2 offers etc aren't calculated 

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

While I can use them perfectly fine most of the time, they are incredibly slow and very temperamental. Why do the ones used by the checkout staff scan at 4 times the rate of self services ones? Not to mention the item you have just scanned being classed as unexpected in the bagging area. 

Also with some stores you need to make sure you sub-total before going to pay otherwise 3 for 2 offers etc aren't calculated 

Don't get me wrong, they can cause the most skilled checkout operator problems. But some people seem mentally incapable of using them at all.

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Don't get me wrong, they can cause the most skilled checkout operator problems. But some people seem mentally incapable of using them at all.

It can be fun seeing folk go all Basil Fawlty and his car when they can’t get them to work, however. 

Aye, stand in a  queue for ten minutes then.. wait, I need to pay for this??!!!

It's a laugh anyway :( As an aside, I really don't go food shopping often at all, however, when I do go for a couple of cases, does anyone else go to the tidiest bird there????

:D

Just now, lauriesrank said:

Aye, stand in a  queue for ten minutes then.. wait, I need to pay for this??!!!

It's a laugh anyway :( As an aside, I really don't go food shopping often at all, however, when I do go for a couple of cases, does anyone else go to the tidiest bird there????

:D

Nah, she’s usually swamped with creepy old men. Best to go to buck toothed  Sandra for a quicker transaction. 

8 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Nah, she’s usually swamped with creepy old men. Best to go to buck toothed  Sandra for a quicker transaction. 

HEy!!!  Less of the old.. wait.. :D

Sawdust Caesar

Scotmid's self-service checkouts do my nut in. You've bought 10 items, paid for them and before you even get a chance to bag them up you hear the message "please take your items" which is then repeated every 10 seconds (or so it seems to me) until you have picked up the last item. Give me a chance to pick them up ffs.

19 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Scotmid's self-service checkouts do my nut in. You've bought 10 items, paid for them and before you even get a chance to bag them up you hear the message "please take your items" which is then repeated every 10 seconds (or so it seems to me) until you have picked up the last item. Give me a chance to pick them up ffs.

I don't know if they still have them but I recall using the self-service checkouts in Morrisons was akin to playing a fairground game to insert your cash.  

You know what I hate, when you get some middle aged woman that works at the checkout that thinks a social gathering. No one gives a **** about your daughter getting married or your grandchild.

29 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Worse than that are the eejits that don't have the sense to bag their stuff as they're scanning it and then hold everyone else up.

Sawdust Caesar
2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Worse than that are the eejits that don't have the sense to bag their stuff as they're scanning it and then hold everyone else up.

Fair point, but I use a rucksack and if I put it on the bagging area I have to wait for a member of staff to come along and okay it before I am allowed to start scanning, which would hold up the queue even more.

Dagger Is Back

I really shouldn’t use self service checkouts as it costs jobs but I hate the way ????? staff hover around you and snatch the basket away from you as soon as the last items out.

First time it happened I was told baskets were being knicked. Difficult old bugger I am, I left the stuff at the checkout and went and got a basket to load up.

They weren’t happy

40 minutes ago, Darren said:

I don't know if they still have them but I recall using the self-service checkouts in Morrisons was akin to playing a fairground game to insert your cash.  

It's the stupid voice from the machine I hate. 

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

I never put my bag on first as it usually causes problems with “Unidentified items on the baggage area”. 

I’m doing all he work so I’ll take my time and do it how I like :P

Standing behind an OAP couple at the checkout. After fannying about getting their stuff on the belt the old bint starts fannying about with her bag to find her purse/card.  She then moans at hubby to start bagging the goods but he's lost the two bags he brought with him and she refuses to pay for 2 new  5p bags. He then goes off around the store looking for the basket he left his bags in (all this to save 10P). I just left my stuff on the belt & walked out. 

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I never put my bag on first as it usually causes problems with “Unidentified items on the baggage area”. 

I’m doing all he work so I’ll take my time and do it how I like :P

That's why I use scan and shop or I'd get barred for punching people like that ?

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

That's why I use scan and shop or I'd get barred for punching people like that ?

It’s even worse when I let the kids help me.   Takes ages ?

31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s even worse when I let the kids help me.   Takes ages ?

I got told off in Asda once for letting my son scan a bottle of wine. Apparently that's illegal. 

**** off!

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

That’s the best way to shop.

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

I got told off in Asda once for letting my son scan a bottle of wine. Apparently that's illegal. 

**** off!

Next time remember to blind them before you go down the booze aisle. It's for their own good

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

**** off!

Tremendous. Would have paid good money to see that scene unfold :lol:

10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Next time remember to blind them before you go down the booze aisle. It's for their own good

I think that might be even more illegal. Unsure if acid or gouging will get the longer sentence. 

31 minutes ago, Boris said:

**** off!

I doubt it is. Your son wasn't selling it to you, neither was he authorising the sale.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Tremendous. Would have paid good money to see that scene unfold :lol:

I didn't rage, rather a nonchalant "aye?" and then carried on. Did my best not to swear though.. 

5 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Not sure if all self service check outs do it but you can silence the ones in Sainsbury’s before you start using them. Nice feature.

16 minutes ago, Boris said:

I didn't rage, rather a nonchalant "aye?" and then carried on. Did my best not to swear though.. 

Should have asked for a straw so he could drink it in the car on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Actually that reminds me of a particular supermarket irk of mine - when I’m standing at the top of the aisle where the fizzy water is but I have to go down the parallel aisle and then half way back up as it’s cordoned off because we can’t be trusted to buy bevy before 10am.

It ruins my otherwise efficient circular routed shopping experience in the Partick branch of Morrisons.

Edited by GlasgoJambo

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

Is it because it has an English accent?

There's a few different one's. There'll all a bunch of nosy gits.

18 hours ago, Ribble said:

There was a specific self-service checkout that always screwed up in my local Tesco. I avoided it when there wasn't a queue but would occasionally be ushered over to it when the shop was busy.

John Gentleman
19 hours ago, Section Q said:

Must be the same old boiler in Tesco Penicuik.

She gets around a bit. I've spotted her multiple times, in multiple guises at my local supermarket.

18 hours ago, Ribble said:

self service is a faff, employ more staff on tills.

John Gentleman
18 hours ago, Darren said:

I must say I didn't fancy them much to begin with. That changed when I discovered how cheap avocados were – about the same price as loose spuds.

1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

I must say I didn't fancy them much to begin with. That changed when I discovered how cheap avocados were – about the same price as loose spuds.

They’ll be even cheaper on scan and go. 

3 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

???

Siphiwe Tshabalala
14 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Careful, there is a computer in the back that checks every item going through both staffed tills and service!