Emiliano Sala (NHC) - merged

Hampden Demolition

Not looking good at all does it?

Even if he and the pilot survive a crash into the channel, you can’t imagine they would survive very long in the freezing water.

Hopefully some good news comes out. I’m very sceptical though unfortunately :(

Edited by iantjambo

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cruyff Turn

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• letsalldothebeattie

5 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I believe they are meant to be safer, they can work with propellers even if the engine fails, or so I was told when I went on one to Wick. Luckily for me I got a calm day

Not entirely true, in the event that the engine fails you 'feather' the propeller so that it doesn't cause excessive drag as the air hits it. Feathering basically means rotating the propeller blades so that they are side on to the oncoming air, thus presenting the smallest possible cross-sectional area. As long as you were moving forward fast enough when the engine failed, the wings provide enough lift to allow you to glide for a while and find somewhere to set it down. 

Compare and contrast with a helicopter. As the blades also provide the lift as well as forward motion, in the event of an engine failure you want the air coming through them as you drop to keep them spinning and keep you in the air. That's why helicopter rotors are designed to 'decouple' from the driveshaft and plane engines aren't. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, trotter said:

Not entirely true, in the event that the engine fails you 'feather' the propeller so that it doesn't cause excessive drag as the air hits it. Feathering basically means rotating the propeller blades so that they are side on to the oncoming air, thus presenting the smallest possible cross-sectional area. As long as you were moving forward fast enough when the engine failed, the wings provide enough lift to allow you to glide for a while and find somewhere to set it down. 

Compare and contrast with a helicopter. As the blades also provide the lift as well as forward motion, in the event of an engine failure you want the air coming through them as you drop to keep them spinning and keep you in the air. That's why helicopter rotors are designed to 'decouple' from the driveshaft and plane engines aren't. 

I was happy to believe the guy that told me before I got on  :lol:

8 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Sorry to collapse your beliefs system ?

letsalldothebeattie

It’s come out, he may have been joking with friends, he may have known what was happening, but he sent a voice recorded message on WhatsApp saying “he’s on a plane that looks like it’s about to fall apart” before going on to say he was scared and has been claimed he sent a message to a former team mate saying “if you don’t find me you know what happened”

Imagine knowing what was coming and not being able to do anything about it 

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Frankie Dettori would probably agree with you. Private planes/helicopters, don't think I would ever do it to be honest.

Me either, nothing to do with the financial constraints, just don't fancy it. ?

14 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Still a lot safer that helicopter. As Trotter said, you can keep a small plane in the air if you're going fast enough when the engine fails. You've no chance in a helicopter. 

I've been on a helicopter once (although multiple stops) and the door came open half-way through the flight (my knee knocked the lever out of place), didn't come all the way home but all of sudden heard a loud 'sssshhhhhh' sound. I actually thought the back rotor had gone, turned around to have a look and could just see sky and then the ground between the my door and the rest of the helicopter. Pilot told me to just grab the handle and hold in place until we landed. As far as incidents on helicopters go, it probably wasn't even registerable and everyone else (bar one person) on board was pretty calm about it but I was like Father Ted in that airplane episode afterwards. 

On this story, it's absolutely heart wrenching and terribly unlucky. Hopefully we find out fairly quickly what happened, I've not read everything but seems like there's a lot of unknowns at the moment. Was there any mayday calls? Seems strange that Sala is able to send Whatsapp messages about perceived issues with the plane but the first alert of something going wrong appears to be when the aircraft went missing from radar. 

Edited by Toggie88

2 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Still a lot safer that helicopter. As Trotter said, you can keep a small plane in the air if you're going fast enough when the engine fails. You've no chance in a helicopter. 

I've been on a helicopter once (although multiple stops) and the door came open half-way through the flight (my knee knocked the lever out of place), didn't come all the way home but all of sudden heard a loud 'sssshhhhhh' sound. I actually thought the back rotor had gone, turned around to have a look and could just see sky and then the ground between the my door and the rest of the helicopter. Pilot told me to just grab the handle and hold in place until we landed. As far as incidents on helicopters go, it probably wasn't even registerable and everyone else (bar one person) on board was pretty calm about it but I was like Father Ted in that airplane episode afterwards. 

On this story, it's absolutely heart wrenching and terribly unlucky. Hopefully we find out fairly quickly what happened, I've not read everything but seems like there's a lot of unknowns at the moment. Was there any mayday calls? Seems strange that Sala is able to send Whatsapp messages about perceived issues with the plane but the first alert of something going wrong appears to be when the aircraft went missing from radar. 

The pilot made a call asking to descend before the plane vanished apparently. Could have been he got disorientated in bad weather or maybe the plane was giving him faulty information due to parts of the plane icing over. I've heard that's happened before in other plane crashes.

1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

The pilot made a call asking to descend before the plane vanished apparently. Could have been he got disorientated in bad weather or maybe the plane was giving him faulty information due to parts of the plane icing over. I've heard that's happened before in other plane crashes.

Ah - hadn't seen that. Cheers. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Sala said in his message, "I'm in a plane  that is falling apart". Makes it worse, they had a fair idea they were in a lot of trouble.

I am no aviation expert as is obvious from the thread, but the lack of communication from 2500ft, gives me the impression that there would have been catastrophic failure at that point. Sadly all you can hope for now, it was quick for them.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sala said in his message, "I'm in a plane  that is falling apart". Makes it worse, they had a fair idea they were in a lot of trouble.

I am no aviation expert as is obvious from the thread, but the lack of communication from 2500ft, gives me the impression that there would have been catastrophic failure at that point. Sadly all you can hope for now, it was quick for them.

The fact that he flew FROM Cardiff previously in the same plane and commented on its decrepit state is chilling.

BIG questions to be answered about who, why was this plane/pilot/company used.  If it's because it was the likes of the cheapest quote, well!!!

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He seemed very calm in the message (though I don't speak French) from the tone of his voice. It sounded to me like he had sent it prior to take off, which I read somewhere they made multiple attempts at.

letsalldothebeattie
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He seemed very calm in the message (though I don't speak French) from the tone of his voice. It sounded to me like he had sent it prior to take off, which I read somewhere they made multiple attempts at.

Saw the same think it said it took 3 or 4 attempts which is worrying in itself

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

The fact that he flew FROM Cardiff previously in the same plane and commented on its decrepit state is chilling.

BIG questions to be answered about who, why was this plane/pilot/company used.  If it's because it was the likes of the cheapest quote, well!!!

Seems he hired it himself, according to Cardiff

letsalldothebeattie

Just seen a bit saying his ex girlfriend tweeted but deleted a message saying she doesn’t believe this was an accident and it’s down to the football mafia. Strange thing to tweet. Makes you think he was into something dodgy 

1 hour ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Just seen a bit saying his ex girlfriend tweeted but deleted a message saying she doesn’t believe this was an accident and it’s down to the football mafia. Strange thing to tweet. Makes you think he was into something dodgy 

links?

2 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Saw the same think it said it took 3 or 4 attempts which is worrying in itself

Yeh, really sad. Strikes me he didn't have much confidence in the flight long before it went off radar.

AlphonseCapone
On 22/01/2019 at 11:28, Sir Gio said:

I believe they are meant to be safer, they can work with propellers even if the engine fails, or so I was told when I went on one to Wick. Luckily for me I got a calm day

I know a few folk have already commented to you on this but thought you might enioy this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/49701-private-planes-safety.html

Edited by AlphonseCapone
Changed horrific link

This story defies belief. It's one of those incidents that is a struggle to comprehend and process. Listened to his whatsapp voice message and was welling up. Absolute tragedy 

It would be a small consolation if they found him and the pilot but that’s looking increasingly unlikely. Poor guy, taken in his prime. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It would be a small consolation if they found him and the pilot but that’s looking increasingly unlikely. Poor guy, taken in his prime. 

Are they suggesting he will never be found?

A very tragic situation, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can’t understand why a PL player would be flying in such a small aircraft instead of getting a 1st class seat with BA to Bristol. We may never know unfortunately. ?

19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No they haven’t although if a plane crashes in the sea, it’s unlikely that they’ll find anyone. They might even be looking in the wrong place just like that MH17 that disappeared.

38 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It's a tiny aircraft sitting at the bottom of the sea. Very unlikely to be found now unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

A very tragic situation, and I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can’t understand why a PL player would be flying in such a small aircraft instead of getting a 1st class seat with BA to Bristol. We may never know unfortunately. ?

It was his agent Mark McKay that organised the flight but denies owning the plane.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

No they haven’t although if a plane crashes in the sea, it’s unlikely that they’ll find anyone. They might even be looking in the wrong place just like that MH17 that disappeared.

5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

It's a tiny aircraft sitting at the bottom of the sea. Very unlikely to be found now unfortunately.

That's incredibly sad. Thought there might be something more obvious than the Malaysian flight and a smaller defined search area.

Any chance they would wash up at all?

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

That's incredibly sad. Thought there might be something more obvious than the Malaysian flight and a smaller defined search area.

Any chance they would wash up at all?

Commercial aircraft like MH370 are fitted with black boxes which keep transmitting provided they survive the crash, so there was some hope there. This plane won't have anything like that unfortunately.

I suppose it's possible they could wash up somewhere if they were thrown from the plane, although I'm not sure how likely that is.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Commercial aircraft like MH370 are fitted with black boxes which keep transmitting provided they survive the crash, so there was some hope there. This plane won't have anything like that unfortunately.

I suppose it's possible they could wash up somewhere if they were thrown from the plane, although I'm not sure how likely that is.

Not knowing surely the hardest thing. Terribly sad

Unbelievable 

We all know how cold its been of late. Even if by some miracle they survived the plane crash then in that sea,  in this weather you'd need to found within hours. Its been 4 days and nobody even if alive, nobody  could survive those conditions,  i just hope they find the bodies for closure and a full investigation is underway. These small planes and helicopters are death traps in adverse weather 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not knowing surely the hardest thing. Terribly sad

That’s the worst part. Brutal. Good player as well, might have kept Cardiff up. 

5 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Unbelievable 

We all know how cold its been of late. Even if by some miracle they survived the plane crash then in that sea,  in this weather you'd need to found within hours. Its been 4 days and nobody even if alive, nobody  could survive those conditions,  i just hope they find the bodies for closure and a full investigation is underway. These small planes and helicopters are death traps in adverse weather 

In these waters at this time of year you are talking minutes before your body shuts down. If your unconscious or badly injured then who knows. Killed on impact? 

It’s a sad fact you hit the water then you are as good as dead. 

The whole thing is an absolute cluster. Flying at night having allegedly taking 4 attempts to take off??? Mental. WTF was the pilot thinking of? Single engine aircraft, icy conditions, potential for icing on wings and fuel icing, probably hence why he asked to descend rapidly. Both men should’ve been wearing immersion suits as its single engine and a 2 man life raft should’ve been on board.Them’s the rules ??? a crying shame. If only he’d listened to Ken Choo.

On 23/01/2019 at 10:00, Taffin said:

The message was in Spanish.

9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You mean MH370.

This is a really tragedy, but there are also parts of them story that are intriguing (perhaps not the right word). 

I read that that the pilot was joking on social media how he was a bit ‘rusty’ with thiw type of landing equipment on board.  A strange thing to boast about.    Now there is an investigation to see if the pilot was paid, as his licence did not allow him to be paid to carry a passenger. 

We we also heard the bizarre comments from his ex girlfriend.  Then his sister has alluded to something going on, but said now was not the time to go further. 

I also found his agent’s comments odd.  Did he really say neither he or his family owned the plane or had a financial interest in it?   Was this ever suggested?

Easy to say now, but if I was that scared, I do not think I would have travelled. 

Nevertheless, a real tragedy.  A young man has almost certainly lost his life, as has the pilot.   The lack of 100% certainly must be awful for the families too.