Emiliano Sala (NHC) - merged

Hampden Demolition

Hampden Demolition

Cardiff signed this striker on Saturday for £15m. Reports this morning that he may have been involved in a plane crash yesterday. Said to be ‘genuine concern’ from Cardiff.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/cardiff-city-investigate-reports-footballer-emiliano-sala-was-on-missing-plane-11614303

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cruyff Turn

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Unknown user

Just reading about this. His Twitter posts show that he was back saying goodbye to the Nantes squad yesterday. Hope I'm wrong but seriously think it could be him.

Hampden Demolition
20 minutes ago, Locky said:

Just reading about this. His Twitter posts show that he was back saying goodbye to the Nantes squad yesterday. Hope I'm wrong but seriously think it could be him.

Hope you’re wrong mate but strange that he hasn’t appeared for training this morning and no contact made. Hopefully everyone has gotten out safe regardless who was on board.

4 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Hope you’re wrong mate but strange that he hasn’t appeared for training this morning and no contact made. Hopefully everyone has gotten out safe regardless who was on board.

Seems to specific a flight to not be true.

Putting aside the tragedy for the missing guy's family and friends, what happens for Cardiff?

They just spent £15m on the boy - is there such a thing as transfer fee insurance that covers incidents like this?

If they've not actually paid the fee, do they still have to?

letsalldothebeattie

Absolutely worrying news this. Hope he is ok but in these situations very unlikely. Tragic thoughts with his family and friends at this tough time. Hope news comes soon

Sexton Hardcastle

"I wouldn't say it's dead in the water, but it's highly unlikely at the moment."

Neil Warnock is far from optimistic about clinching a deal for Nantes striker Emiliano Sala but says he is close to securing one January signing.

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

"I wouldn't say it's dead in the water, but it's highly unlikely at the moment."

Neil Warnock is far from optimistic about clinching a deal for Nantes striker Emiliano Sala but says he is close to securing one January signing.

Made me laugh :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Putting aside the tragedy for the missing guy's family and friends, what happens for Cardiff?

They just spent £15m on the boy - is there such a thing as transfer fee insurance that covers incidents like this?

I presume it depends whether the deal was fully completed or not. Either Nantes or Cardiff will have insurance to cover long term injury or in the worst cases, death. If the deal was completed by Cardiff were due payments to Nantes then I suspect they still need to pay, and claim back via insurance.

letsalldothebeattie
11 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Unfortunate choice of words now looking back on it

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

I presume it depends whether the deal was fully completed or not. Either Nantes or Cardiff will have insurance to cover long term injury or in the worst cases, death. If the deal was completed by Cardiff were due payments to Nantes then I suspect they still need to pay, and claim back via insurance.

There would have to be insurance in place I would imagine

10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

There would have to be insurance in place I would imagine

15 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

You'd think there would have to be something in place. Teams spending close to £200m on Neymar are not going to throw cash like that around without protecting themselves against freak accidents like this.

Got to agree with Dunphy, those little planes look a bit scary to me.

Sexton Hardcastle

Of course there will be insurance. You can insure anything these days. 

This does have some element of an episode of Dream Team. Half expecting Prashant Dattani to pop up next.

You wouldn't catch me on one of those daft wee planes or a helicopter, not too keen on flying as it is so I wouldn't even entertain getting on one of those things.

48 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

You would imagine they would take out Keyman insurance on employees of that value. 

letsalldothebeattie
14 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

This does have some element of an episode of Dream Team. Half expecting Prashant Dattani to pop up next.

That what I was thinking too

Lord Beni of Gorgie
45 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

You'd think there would have to be something in place. Teams spending close to £200m on Neymar are not going to throw cash like that around without protecting themselves against freak accidents like this.

Got to agree with Dunphy, those little planes look a bit scary to me.

I believe they are meant to be safer, they can work with propellers even if the engine fails, or so I was told when I went on one to Wick. Luckily for me I got a calm day

Lord Beni of Gorgie
41 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Memories, I miss that programme. Linda Block though, she made it to Corrie. Curtis Alexander has turned up in a few places, Fletchs bird got to Enders.

Probably some of the worst TV ever but just the sort of shite I enjoy :lol:

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I believe they are meant to be safer, they can work with propellers even if the engine fails, or so I was told when I went on one to Wick. Luckily for me I got a calm day

I read a while back that statistically, the smaller the plane, the more likely you are to die in it.

Could be bollocks though.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I read a while back that statistically, the smaller the plane, the more likely you are to die in it.

Could be bollocks though.

Frankie Dettori would probably agree with you. Private planes/helicopters, don't think I would ever do it to be honest.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I honestly have no idea why anyone would get in one of those Cessna type death traps. 

None at all. 

I've flown one.

Took a course of flying lessons out of Perth Aerodrome when I was feeling flush a couple of years ago.

Great fun in nice weather but I didn't pursue it.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Helicopters and propeller planes... no thank you.

Grim news

I did a Cessna and a Helicopter trip to the Grand Canyon two years ago the Helicopter was brilliant the Cessna was a wee bit hairy mainly due toi the thermal current buffeting the plane a little. Wouldn't want to use on a regular basis. Shame for the lad and his family.

12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've flown one.

Took a course of flying lessons out of Perth Aerodrome when I was feeling flush a couple of years ago.

Great fun in nice weather but I didn't pursue it.

I can kinda get why someone would try it as a hobby or as a jumping off point to becoming a pilot, but certainly not for a cross-channel flight in January. 

48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Memories, I miss that programme. Linda Block though, she made it to Corrie. Curtis Alexander has turned up in a few places, Fletchs bird got to Enders.

Probably some of the worst TV ever but just the sort of shite I enjoy :lol:

The actor who played Fletch went on to work as a lifeguard than received Gerard Kelly entire estate upon his death.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Even a KLM turbo-prop was a grim experience.    **** nashing around on a kite with a lawnmower engine.    

Fairly recently flew across to Belfast on one of FlyBe's smaller Dash 8 Q400 planes, which will be similar to the KLM one you were on.  It was stormy as ****, and we were getting flung about for the (thankfully very short) duration of the flight.

When we came in to land, the plane completely dropped for about 3 full seconds.  We had to gun it and come round again, as it obviously completely stuffed the approach and we were only a few hundred metres from the ground.  On the second go around, we had to approach at about a 45 degree angle, it was mental being able to see the runway straight ahead of you out of the side windows.  I vaguely remember the Captain announcing that was going to be a rough landing, and to prepare for it to not be very comfortable.  We bounced off the runway initially but the second impact was a smoother touchdown.

How on earth he landed it as well as he did in those conditions, I'll never know, but that was easily one of the worst experiences of my life.  I can only imagine how shit it must have been to be in one of those small Cesna planes in bad weather!

I've flown in one of those small prop planes, 3 passengers and the pilot. 

I was sitting behind the pilot and could see out the windscreen and see all his operating dials etc. 

It was great!

But it wasn't crossing the English Channel in January in potentially bad weather. 

Hope this story has a happy ending, but it currently doesn't look good. 

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Fairly recently flew across to Belfast on one of FlyBe's smaller Dash 8 Q400 planes, which will be similar to the KLM one you were on.  It was stormy as ****, and we were getting flung about for the (thankfully very short) duration of the flight.

When we came in to land, the plane completely dropped for about 3 full seconds.  We had to gun it and come round again, as it obviously completely stuffed the approach and we were only a few hundred metres from the ground.  On the second go around, we had to approach at about a 45 degree angle, it was mental being able to see the runway straight ahead of you out of the side windows.  I vaguely remember the Captain announcing that was going to be a rough landing, and to prepare for it to not be very comfortable.  We bounced off the runway initially but the second impact was a smoother touchdown.

How on earth he landed it as well as he did in those conditions, I'll never know, but that was easily one of the worst experiences of my life.  I can only imagine how shit it must have been to be in one of those small Cesna planes in bad weather!

I've been through some ropey airstrips in the far north of Brazil and the arse ends of Africa on the way to join vessels, but taking off from Lukla was probably the most terrifying of the lot.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Hopefully they were able to ditch the plane safely and get the life jackets on but the water temp at this time doesn't give much hope after this length of time. 

Crazy story. I read the search and rescue had to be terminated at 2am based on the weather conditions which maybe suggests the worst. Hopefully some how they are found safe and well!

Wee Cessna great for fair weather flying, **** being in that during a storm!

60 mph gusts are close to the take off speed of a wee plane.

Hope there is some positive news

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Hopefully they were able to ditch the plane safely and get the life jackets on but the water temp at this time doesn't give much hope after this length of time. 

It doesn't.

Fingers crossed they made it though.