Explanation of a picture please

durhamhearts

Can anyone supply any information surrounding this picture circa 1989 at Tynecastle with Mike Galloway and Ray Wilkins. I nicked the pic from a Memorabilia site they had no explanation to offer either,  it’s just bugging me why would Rangers and Celtic players be at Tynecastle for a photo 

17B26DEF-2484-4688-848E-AE49ED89DBDF.jpeg

maybe the draw for the 4th round of the scottish cup 89/90, celtic and rangers were drawn together and draw was at Tynie ? 

30 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

The image search, had two mentions of this photo, both from the Daily Record. 

This link says it that photo is from September 1989. So maybe it was a photoshoot for a cup.

Also, that season Hearts finished third on GD, 10 points in front of Celtic in fifth. 

The League Cup semi finals were in September 1989. 

Celtic v Aberdeen 

Rangers v Dunfermline 

The game of the previous round was Celtic beating Hearts on penalties at Tynecastle after 2-2 draw (Pat Bonner made great save in last minute). But doesn't explain the pic. 

Edited by Mikey1874

55 minutes ago, durhamhearts said:

Can anyone supply any information surrounding this picture circa 1989 at Tynecastle with Mike Galloway and Ray Wilkins. I nicked the pic from a Memorabilia site they had no explanation to offer either,  it’s just bugging me why would Rangers and Celtic players be at Tynecastle for a photo 

Just another stat was both players made their debuts in Scotland in the same game

Rangers 3 Hearts 2 1987

Wilkins signing for Rangers was the big story but Galloway scored the opener with a beauty

Edited by Mikey1874

Definitely the 1989/90 season going by their strips, but maybe it wasn't taken in September like the DR are claiming?

Hearts played Celtic in the league opener on the 12th Aug 1989, and a week later Rangers visited Easter Road. Maybe it is a promo photo for the Old Firm playing back to back in Edinburgh during the festival?

queensferryjambo

I would put my money on a photo shoot of all teams playing in the league. Generally a player from each team turned up and they all posed for photos for PR to promote the up and coming season. Sure I remember one in the early 80s with a player from each standing on the terrace at Tannadice.  

I bet the photographed took the opportunity to get the Old Firm players together on their own.

They do it every year even now. Like this kind of thing just a lot less slick in the 80s. 

_44904320_splclubs466.jpg

queensferryjambo

Oh and judging by the photo the players shirts look straight out the packet and Tynecastle pitch looks like a bowling green so again I am going for pre-season league photo shoot. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just another stat was both players made their debuts in Scotland in the same game

Rangers 3 Hearts 2 1987

Wilkins signing for Rangers was the big story but Galloway scored the opener with a beauty

I remember that game and that goal! Mikey Galloway had made his debut earlier though, a midweek game up at Tanadice. He came on as a late sub and was a memorable all action 10 minute debut, I couldn;t wait to see him start a game!

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I remember that game and that goal! Mikey Galloway had made his debut earlier though, a midweek game up at Tanadice. He came on as a late sub and was a memorable all action 10 minute debut, I couldn;t wait to see him start a game!

Correct, in a 3-0 win.

Also, Galloway’s goal at Ibrox was an equaliser rather than an opener. McCoist had scored after Kenny Black tried to “trap” a cross back to Henry Smith. By far the best we’d played there since Souness’s arrival and we won on our second visit that season.

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

I would put my money on a photo shoot of all teams playing in the league. Generally a player from each team turned up and they all posed for photos for PR to promote the up and coming season. Sure I remember one in the early 80s with a player from each standing on the terrace at Tannadice.  

I bet the photographed took the opportunity to get the Old Firm players together on their own.

They do it every year even now. Like this kind of thing just a lot less slick in the 80s. 

1 current and 4 ex jambos in that picture. Not bad!

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

5 of them have played for Hearts ?

Our skipper looking like a wee nipper.

3 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

5 of them have played for Hearts ?

Our skipper looking like a wee nipper.

Is it not 6? Berra, Barr, Neil,Severin, Weir and Locke or have I got someone wrong?

16 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Is it not 6? Berra, Barr, Neil,Severin, Weir and Locke or have I got someone wrong?

Was Neil a youth at Hearts?

18 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

Neil never did

5 hours ago, RobboM said:

We have a fair chunk of the Broomloan that day. Galloway goal was a beauty. We were looking right down it. Woods also made a brilliant save from him 

Hackney Hearts
10 hours ago, Jim Weir said:

We have a fair chunk of the Broomloan that day. 

Such a shame that the potential for away allocations has been so drastically cut, even for OF derbies now. A much greater sense of occasion, as you can feel from the atmosphere and commentary at the start of that clip.

• 2 months later...
queensferryjambo
On 21/01/2019 at 16:17, durhamhearts said:

Necropost -

As I had said earlier in this thread it would to be promote the whole league prior to the seasons kick off. 

Saw this picture and think it definitely clears it up and it is exactly what I thought it was and Tynecastle was purely the location chosen that season - 

57390007_10218615560250720_2326376264308359168_o.jpg

SwindonJambo
28 minutes ago, aitcheeayartees said:

That Aberdeen chap is extremely handsome.........?

That would be Davie Dodds ‘the elephant man’. Is that a young Paul Lambert bottom right? I can name all but one of the others. Unsure of the Dundee player - that season’s relegated club. Back in those days you knew most of the better known oppo players because squads had much slower turnovers back then. Nowadays they come and go like buses and from much further afield too.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That would be Davie Dodds ‘the elephant man’. Is that a young Paul Lambert bottom right? I can name all of the others. Back in those days you knew most of the better known oppo players because squads had much slower turnovers back then. Nowadays they come and go like buses and from much further afield too.

You just don't get chants like that any more. 

Guess if I did be banned for life 

24 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That would be Davie Dodds ‘the elephant man’. Is that a young Paul Lambert bottom right? I can name all but one of the others. Unsure of the Dundee player - that season’s relegated club. Back in those days you knew most of the better known oppo players because squads had much slower turnovers back then. Nowadays they come and go like buses and from much further afield too.

I think the Dundee guy is Stuart Beedie? Don’t know the Motherwell guy?

queensferryjambo
26 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You just don't get chants like that any more. 

Guess if I did be banned for life 

It wasn't just the chant it was the waving of the arms like you had a trunk that went along with the chant as well.

Magic :)

Tommy Brown
On 21/01/2019 at 13:20, queensferryjambo said:

I count 4 jambos in that photo

7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I count 4 jambos in that photo

Weir, Locke, Berra, Barr and Severin. Take it you meant Berra plus four?

Edited by Shaggy2

SwindonJambo
17 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I think the Dundee guy is Stuart Beedie? Don’t know the Motherwell guy?

Ah that’s him. Previously with Dundee Utd, Hibs and Dunfy. Pretty sure the Motherwell Guy is Steve Kirk.

1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Ah that’s him. Previously with Dundee Utd, Hibs and Dunfy. Pretty sure the Motherwell Guy is Steve Kirk.

He’s fair haired right enough but I don’t recall him looking like that. Could be wrong.

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Weir, Locke, Berra, Barr and Severin. Take it you meant Berra plus four?

Didnae see Sevvy :facepalm:

Edit

Feck, is that Andy Watson in hibs strip

Edited by Tommy Brown

SwindonJambo
13 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

It wasn't just the chant it was the waving of the arms like you had a trunk that went along with the chant as well.

I don’t recall the arm waving but I certainly remember the chant. He left Dundee United, his formative club, in acrimonious circumstances. Subbed off in his final appearance when we won 3-0 in 85-86 and seemingly thrown out the ground by Jim McLean! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Infantile behaviour is sadly lacking  :lol:

queensferryjambo
11 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

He’s fair haired right enough but I don’t recall him looking like that. Could be wrong.

I think the Motherwell player in the picture is Tom McAdam he left Motherwell half way through that season to go to Airdrie. 

queensferryjambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Infantile behaviour is sadly lacking  :lol:

Yeah long gone are the days of the entire crowd chanting 'peeeeeeeeeeeeenis, peeeeeeeeeeeeeenis' when somebody made a fool of themselves on the pitch :)

Did you know that Wilkins was just as inept in the England midfield as Stevie G?  He was.  That's why England have won virtually nothing since Hibs were top dogs in Europe.?

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Did you know that Wilkins was just as inept in the England midfield as Stevie G?  He was.  That's why England have won virtually nothing since Hibs were top dogs in Europe.?

Perhaps you are being ‘tongue in cheek’ Doug, and perhaps you aren’t. 

Anyhow, Ray Wilkins was a million miles away from being ‘inept in midfield’.

Butch, as he was known, was a superb midfield player, as was SG btw. Gerrard was forced out of position, time and time again, to accommodate Frank Lampard.

6C12EF63-E95E-4A57-B370-448B7A55D0B4.gif

Henry. Henry.
43 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I was thinking Ian Angus?

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Perhaps you are being ‘tongue in cheek’ Doug, and perhaps you aren’t. 

Anyhow, Ray Wilkins was a million miles away from being ‘inept in midfield’.

Butch, as he was known, was a superb midfield player, as was SG btw. Gerrard was forced out of position, time and time again, to accommodate Frank Lampard.

6C12EF63-E95E-4A57-B370-448B7A55D0B4.gif

England have a strange way of treating their best players, Scholes was another one, they should have built their whole system round him - it seemed like he was only fully appreciated outside his country of birth 

DcCNn0DXUAEahgj.jpg

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

England have a strange way of treating their best players, Scholes was another one, they should have built their whole system round him - it seemed like he was only fully appreciated outside his country of birth 

DcCNn0DXUAEahgj.jpg

Never seen that before, thanks for posting it.

As an aside, Pirlo apart (and Brellier obviously) there’s been no better player than Iniesta in that sort of position in my lifetime.

When we lived in Barca we occasionally saw him out and about, he was absolutely worshipped.

Forever Hearts
40 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Inept? ?

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Inept? ?

Sorry.  I meant utterly hopeless.  Like Stevie, he was a good club player who just couldn't make the step up.

That's why England win nohing.  They persevered with Stevie and Lampard for tournament after tournament and failed every time.

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Never seen that before, thanks for posting it.

As an aside, Pirlo apart (and Brellier obviously) there’s been no better player than Iniesta in that sort of position in my lifetime.

When we lived in Barca we occasionally saw him out and about, he was absolutely worshipped.

I just love the wee man, 5'7", no pace, asthma, couldn't tackle a fish supper, and still one of the greatest ever. Famously shy but still a wee Oldham wido at the same time.

Interestingly Iniesta was the opponent he rated highest. They'd have made some midfield together!!

Pirlo's a big Scholes fan too by the way

Forever Hearts
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Sorry.  I meant utterly hopeless.  Like Stevie, he was a good club player who just couldn't make the step up.

That's why England win nohing.  They persevered with Stevie and Lampard for tournament after tournament and failed every time.

He was a fantastic footballer who played at three major tournaments and managed to win 80 odd caps for his country over almost 10 years. Not bad for somebody who was hopeless. Yes, England won nothing, but they've only ever won one major tournament anyway so is every player since 1966 hopeless?