Berra

Jim Weir

Really concerned about CB's fitness. Looked like he was limping before winter break following his return. Looked worse today if anything. Really struggled in last 20 mins 

Huge player for Hearts. Hope he recovers fully from what was a dreadful injury to sustain 

Didn’t have his best game today, but a welcome clean sheet again. 

A lot of the players looked a little rusty today. Hopefully that shook off the cobwebs. 

Takes a while to get back up to speed. Not exactly nippy at the best of times. Souttar coming back will allow him time to get back to his imperious best. 

Captained the the team to a great win and progress to the next round. ?

That's possibly his worst game for us.

He's made of stern stuff and I expect him to regain his form as we go into the business end of the season.

1 minute ago, Paolo said:

He wasn’t great today, but we can forgive him for that.  

Nobody really stood out.  Most looked tired and lethargic. 

Which begs the question, Are they being over trained? We've had so many injuries lately. 

They're just back from a break and should be refreshed and raring to go!

Since he came back from injury he’s not looked fit. Was hoping the winter break would have helped. Wonder if he’s carrying a niggle? 

The Future's Maroon

Very rare occasion when we can all see he wasn’t at his best.

i noticed a period in the second half he seemed to be limping a little, then covered ten yards in a second to make a block...typical Berra.

I hope I’m wrong here, but maybe he had been brought back a couple of weeks to early after a horrible injury.

Not his best today, but still a rock and a clean sheet....the commitment he shows is second to none.

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Which begs the question, Are they being over trained? We've had so many injuries lately. 

They're just back from a break and should be refreshed and raring to go!

Over trained :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

That's possibly his worst game for us.

He's made of stern stuff and I expect him to regain his form as we go into the business end of the season.

Totally agree, Berra looked really out of sorts today. Get him some counselling, as we’ll need him for the title run in.

Nucky Thompson
13 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

It is possible, apparently it can make you tired.  ha

Luckily we have professional coaches and sports scientists who know what they are doing

Started to remind me of Pressley when he lost a yard of pace.

seemed to struggle to adjust is feet At times and bit slower turning than usual.

still got enough knowledge and experience to get us through games 

56 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

Since he came back from injury he’s not looked fit. Was hoping the winter break would have helped. Wonder if he’s carrying a niggle? 

He's evidently not fit. He's limping quite badly 

Horrendous injury to sustain. 

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Luckily we have professional coaches and sports scientists who know what they are doing

Hopefully. 

Have to say I’ve thought the same, he looks as if he is playing through a knock or an injury, his movement looks hampered somewhat. 

Nevertheless, not his greatest game but won a loads of headers and did his job as per. 

He tore his hamstring from the bone and since he has returned he does not look like he is fully extending his leg when he is running. It could be a mental thing (as he has never had a bad injury before) or maybe he has just returned to early but he doesnt look right and is limping. It does not stop him winning every header though and positionaly he is amazing as always. As mentioned above our sports scientist will know best so maybe he just needs a rest after playing every minute since his return from injury.

I thought he took a knock on the knee and it made the last 15 - 20 mins a struggle for him.

Not at his best today but still an excellent defender.

Bazzas right boot

Good positioning from him as usual. 

Had a few minor brain farts and looked knackered. 

Maybe not 100% yet. 

New partner and new keeper also. 

by his standards was imo poor roday, got caught out with some of the balls over his head and shanked a couple of clearances. he did however keep going and positioned himself well to block crosses

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

He didn't quite look himself when he came back into the team, maybe just a little bit early on returning. Today it was a bit noticeable when the ball was on the ground that he wasn't comfortable at times. Yet when the ball was in the air he won everything he had to.

A_A wehatethehibs

I worry he came back too soon from injury. He seemed to be grimacing in pain. If we can get soapy back in hopefully we can rest Berra on a few occasions. He is an important player for the big games at the business end this season

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

by his standards was imo poor roday, got caught out with some of the balls over his head and shanked a couple of clearances. he did however keep going and positioned himself well to block crosses

Thats the thing, his standards are so far ahead of most in this league that even carrying an injury, he still wins more challenges than most. 

50 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Do we?

The number of injuries we pick up is unreal?

7 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

He didn't quite look himself when he came back into the team, maybe just a little bit early on returning. Today it was a bit noticeable when the ball was on the ground that he wasn't comfortable at times. Yet when the ball was in the air he won everything he had to.

I don't think there's any question he came back too early. 

Had Souttar been fit, and/ or had we not been on that horrendous run, I'm sure today might have been his first game back.

45 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

He's evidently not fit. He's limping quite badly 

Horrendous injury to sustain. 

Yeah he’s was running strangely today. Looks injured. Great player though. 

Have to agree with the OP in every point. 

It is hard to watch him struggle the way he is. I honestly think he knows he shouldn't be playing. Hope it's not going to cost him.

Berra played like his feet had never seen a football before today - did what he needed to in defence but looked like he was playing a bit like a zombie. Like had been concussed. Did also look like a slight limp 2nd half.

I’d be resting him for Wednesday - especially if Souttar can make it for that.

Nucky Thompson
28 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Do we?

The number of injuries we pick up is unreal?

Loads of players pick up injuries in professional sports. Coaches can't legislate for that

Bit harsh on him. Defended as per his usual self won every header and recovered superbly when they were through on goal. Never been nimble on his feet.

Not worried about him.

HillmanHearts

Love Berra But he was a bit off his usual high stadards today.

Still wasn't  pesh - just not his usual 9 or 10.

Hope he's not carrying that injury still. 

43 minutes ago, Smack said:

Won every header, got around the pitch, clean sheet. Not concerned. 

He did. It was a wholehearted performance. I'm sure Livingston knew he was there. A big part of our win today. 

The good news is with Souttar back and Shaughnessy in Berra can be rested if need be. 

6 minutes ago, dundeehearts said:

Bit harsh on him. Defended as per his usual self won every header and recovered superbly when they were through on goal. Never been nimble on his feet.

Not worried about him.

Harsh? 

I'm concerned because he's clearly struggling with his fitness. He wasn't great today but little wonder 

He does appear to be somewhat struggling at times but his knowledge and experience are getting him by.

I had hoped that the winter break would've allowed him to come back fresher.

Still a class act though and is no doubt helping others on the park.