David Vanecek

dustybin

Captain Sausage

**** being a centre back when the Hearts lineup includes Uche and Vanecek, with Naismith and Clare behind them. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lambo85

• Cruyff Turn

• Peebo

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought he had a decent debut, considering he hasn't played for a while. Some nice lay offs, played with his back to goal a lot because of the lack of midfield creativity. The few times he got the ball facing the opposition, he looked like he could cause problems when match fit.

He also set up the winning goal and with his ability to give a good first touch pass, I can see plenty more assists coming up.

In the first half, our tactic seemed to be to shell the ball towards him. 

Within 20 minutes it became obvious to everyone watching that isn't his strong suit.

I'm not quite sure why we adopted that approach.

Much better second half with the ball on deck. 

CL seems to like big strikers. Not sure why as all our greatest goal scorers were modest in height, Willie Bauld, Donald Ford, John Robertson. To name but a few. 

Shite game to judge anyone by, he showed enough little glimpses of what he might be able to do when he is match fit, got a better handle on the Scottish game and gets a better fitting strip.

39 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

**** being a centre back when the Hearts lineup includes Uche and Vanecek, with Naismith and Clare behind them. 

Indeed? Might we potentially have four decent strikers/forwards now?

Can't remember us having more than one since the days of Bednar and Janny!

29 minutes ago, Prof said:

CL seems to like big strikers. Not sure why as all our greatest goal scorers were modest in height, Willie Bauld, Donald Ford, John Robertson. To name but a few. 

If we could get to the bye line more often and deliver decent crosses into the box we will get more out of him.

Think he did ok yesterday considering he wasn't up to full fitness and had to play with his back to goal most of the time.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Prof said:

Probably because in the modern game in Scotland, financially we can not afford to buy actual top class players. We can’t compete with the wages on offer for these guys down south. If players with the class of Robbo or Bauld were young 18 year old kids coming through today and scoring those sort of goals they scored, they’d be sold for a few million quid, influenced by selfish agents and go chasing bigger wages. Like Paterson, Walker, and Nicholson all did. Even Berra did it first chance he got to Wolves. That’s what will happen with any of the current young crop if they burst through into the team, cement a place and score goals. 

So as we can only pay a player about £3k or £4K a week, it limits our options in terms of who we can bring in. The best value for money in this division comes from big, physically competitive players. Vanacek is unlikely to go on to a higher level, he is a player Hearts will be looking to get a good 3 years out of. This is probably going to be the pinnacle of his career - you can see already he would not have the pace to play in England IMO. 

Having big men up front keeping defenders occupied can then allow the smaller less physical young players we have like Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison, Clare, Keena a bit of room to breathe in games. They are the potential future Robbos and Baulds, we’re never going to be able to buy a player like that at age 27. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

4 hours ago, Dayman said:

When vanacek missed a header the boy in front of me came out with a brilliant shout of “Come on lad you’re no in the Czech Republic now you’re in the real place”. 

Interesting. 

Wish he’d been been around in 1938, if he’d been able to convince Hitler of this, then maybe a lot of bloodshed could have been avoided.

What an absolute cretin. ?

2 hours ago, Prof said:

Robertson had Bone and Clarke to feed off and create for. Naismith now has Uche and Vanecek. Skacel benefitted from Bednar and Janny and later on Kyle. Mark Devries gave space to Kirk, Wales and Wyness.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

Indeed? Might we potentially have four decent strikers/forwards now?

Can't remember us having more than one since the days of Bednar and Janny!

Closest would be Kyle, Skacel and Suso/Temps.

2 hours ago, Prof said:

These days most defences are made up with 6f plus guys who would not be out of place in a rugby shirt. The strikers need to be able to handle the physical game. Unless their as skilled as Messi. 

3 hours ago, Prof said:

Imagine Donald Ford and Stephen Naismith in the same team. The problem Ford had was that his team-mates were not clever enough to get on the end of his flicks and back-heels.

22 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

The big man struggled with the physical side of today’s game. Libby players constantly pulled his shirt, held his arms and bathed him. He was offered no protection from Gollum. Big man did well with holding up play and knock ins. Nice touch for the assist. Much more to come!

Agreed, I think he will cope just fine once he realises how physical this league is. I was really impressed with his attitude to some of the challenges against him, shrugged them off without fuss, I love to see that, early days but I enjoyed what I seen from a lad who's not played much recently. Fingers crossed we have found a good one!

scott herbertson
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Probably because in the modern game in Scotland, financially we can not afford to buy actual top class players. We can’t compete with the wages on offer for these guys down south. If players with the class of Robbo or Bauld were young 18 year old kids coming through today and scoring those sort of goals they scored, they’d be sold for a few million quid, influenced by selfish agents and go chasing bigger wages. Like Paterson, Walker, and Nicholson all did. Even Berra did it first chance he got to Wolves. That’s what will happen with any of the current young crop if they burst through into the team, cement a place and score goals. 

So as we can only pay a player about £3k or £4K a week, it limits our options in terms of who we can bring in. The best value for money in this division comes from big, physically competitive players. Vanacek is unlikely to go on to a higher level, he is a player Hearts will be looking to get a good 3 years out of. This is probably going to be the pinnacle of his career - you can see already he would not have the pace to play in England IMO. 

Having big men up front keeping defenders occupied can then allow the smaller less physical young players we have like Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison, Clare, Keena a bit of room to breathe in games. They are the potential future Robbos and Baulds, we’re never going to be able to buy a player like that at age 27. 

I agree with what you are saying except I think Vanacek is ambitious - we have only an 18 month contract and I am sure he is wanting to get exposure in Britain. If he is any good we may have to settle for a good year (all the more reson to go for a trophy this year)

5 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I agree with what you are saying except I think Vanacek is ambitious - we have only an 18 month contract and I am sure he is wanting to get exposure in Britain. If he is any good we may have to settle for a good year (all the more reson to go for a trophy this year)

I think we have the option to add a year on his contract if we want to 

scott herbertson
Just now, BigAlim said:

I think we have the option to add a year on his contract if we want to 

Good stuff - wasn't aware of that, thanks

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I don’t know, the guy is 27, coming into his peak years I expect there’s a very good chance Hearts will be the biggest club he will ever play for. He’s been in Czech for his whole career, this is his chance to achieve something and win some silverware, play in front of some big crowds. Teplice avg. 4000 crowds so Hearts is a massive step up from that. He would have to be absolutely unbelievable for us if he’s going to get a big move somewhere bigger than Hearts when he hits the end of his time here. 

scott herbertson
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don’t know, the guy is 27, coming into his peak years I expect there’s a very good chance Hearts will be the biggest club he will ever play for. He’s been in Czech for his whole career, this is his chance to achieve something and win some silverware, play in front of some big crowds. Teplice avg. 4000 crowds so Hearts is a massive step up from that. He would have to be absolutely unbelievable for us if he’s going to get a big move somewhere bigger than Hearts when he hits the end of his time here. 

Let's hope he does get that big move then!

jack D and coke
22 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

The arse behind me shouted at him to 'go back to Czechoslovakia ' after 22 minutes.Dick.

Absolutely incredible. 

Why do we have so many clowns in our support :facepalm:

Walter Bishop
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Hooked

Wasnt sure, thought he was in danger of a second yellow. Needs to toughen up, looks like a rabbit caught in headlights. 

Sexton Hardcastle

People calling him a fraud after barely two games are just beyond parody. It’s so typical of our current crop of shite fans. 

The same people who no doubt wanked over him and proclaimed him to be the next big thing. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not quite saying we have signed another Cole Stockton but not too impressed tonight. Did well in the cup so hopefully he will improve as he adjusts to the game here. Those shorts must be weighing him down though. 

The White Cockade

hooked

no sign of the physio checking him over

he wasn't great and gave the ball away for the goal but to be fair he was just

getting high balls punted at him from 50 yards away and was marked by a 6' 5" centre half

never once when he's played has somebody got to the byeline and crossed it back for him to attack

early days but got to say he doesn't look a world beater

GorgieRules22

Maybe going to Bangkok for a jolly prior to joining us wasn’t a great idea eh. Not sure why the guy looked so short of match fitness.

Absolute horse**** from Levein, in my own opinion. Clare gets how many chances to prove himself? Did Vanecek really look like he was going to get sent off? 

Take off our 6ft4 striker half an hour in so we can punt long balls at Maclean and Keena all night. Sound.

Despite his physique, doesn't seem to know how to battle for high balls. Two games in and lost virtually every battle in air. Doesn't look particularly mobile either. 

Seemed a bit odd, we only started putting crosses in second half which is apparently his game, most of them were shite granted but 2 or 3 of them were begging to be knocked in

Would like to see what he can do in the box (normally a strikers main job), but that's not the way we deploy strikers.

Edited by Gambo

1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

So disappointed to already have the sinking feeling. You know the one we get with 75% of our signings. 

At least it’s only a 1.5 year deal.

I actually like his link up play but I’m quite shocked how poor he is in the air. Looks like he can’t get off the ground.