Prince Philip

Shanks said no

6 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I see what you are saying, but the Monarchy are really impotent in terms of political goings on. For example (and I don't want to get into a brexit debate, there's a big thread for that), the Queen theoretically, can, after the farce of the vote on the brexit deal this week, dissolve parliament and call for a new parliament, a general election in other words. It will never happen, the Monarchy try's to remain neutral on these matters. 

We wouldn't have a monarchy for very long if she tried to do this.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• Shanks said no

• whodanny

• Toggie88

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

If the queen did do this though, it would turn a lot of monarchy haters. I would love it of she did though.

38 minutes ago, graygo said:

Aye, hence the impotence of the Monarchy. Ruler in name only.

John Gentleman
10 hours ago, whodanny said:

Why the **** is that old fossil allowed to drive a feckin' vehicle at all ??  As Billy Connolly said " I wouldnae gie him the remote for the telly"  Arsehole Royals.

I hope tae ferk that they're not letting that auld yin out in the Sandringham estate with a rifle.

13 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

So glad he's OK and so proud to live in the city that was named after him.

Long may he reign.

Reign?

the only thing he reigns over is his tenna nappy!

7 hours ago, superjack said:

If the queen did do this though, it would turn a lot of monarchy haters. I would love it of she did though.

This. 

Underlines how useless & pointless the whole monarchy system is. The government is in meltdown & we cant do a single thing about it. If the queen had at least “threatned” to dissolve parliment I am sure we would have seen a positive change but as we all know (even the royalists know it), the monarchy are just figure head puppets. 

Utterly pointless. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 hours ago, jake said:

Like it or not it cannot be denied that him and his wife have on the whole done an impeccable job.

Even if you are anti royal you have to admire old school.

This.

They have a very stressful job waving and shaking hands.

I cannot believe how much coverage this is still getting this morning. There were other people involved in this accident and 2 of them were slightly injured. Normal citizens who probably work and pay tax and actually contribute to this arrogant doddering old fool’s opulent existence. And very little mention of them. 

The accident location is a  known trouble spot and reducing the speed limit there was due to be discussed by the local council soon. Apparently it’s now going to happen later today.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I cannot believe how much coverage this is still getting this morning. There were other people involved in this accident and 2 of them were slightly injured. Normal citizens who probably work and pay tax and actually contribute to this arrogant doddering old fool’s opulent existence. And very little mention of them. 

The accident location is a  known trouble spot and reducing the speed limit there was due to be discussed by the local council soon. Apparently it’s now going to happen later today.

What a surprise the discussions are to take place today.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a surprise the discussions are to take place today.

No discussions involved. The changes will actually be made to the signage. By Royal decree it seems. Because Royal lives seem to matter more. I can well imagine someone had already had a quiet word with him to give up drivIng but he’s such an arrogant and cantankerous old arse that he refused

40 minutes ago, john brownlee said:

I'm proud of our long loyal Royal heritage, long may it last.

god save the Queen

Totally irrelevant post imo.

They were discussing the accident on TV just now and not a single mention of how the other people involved were affected.

Just some Royal correspondent bleating about how Prince Philip values his independence and should be allowed to continue driving.

The arrogance of the Royals and their supporters is astounding.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

This. 

Underlines how useless & pointless the whole monarchy system is. The government is in meltdown & we cant do a single thing about it. If the queen had at least “threatned” to dissolve parliment I am sure we would have seen a positive change but as we all know (even the royalists know it), the monarchy are just figure head puppets. 

Utterly pointless. 

Yeah better to have Tony Blair or John Major as President 

Shanks said no
11 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Totally irrelevant post imo.

They were discussing the accident on TV just now and not a single mention of how the other people involved were affected.

Just some Royal correspondent bleating about how Prince Philip values his independence and should be allowed to continue driving.

The arrogance of the Royals and their supporters is astounding.

Anyone over 70 can renew their licence every 3 years by applying to the DVLA. 

The 4 criteria appear to be 

Your licence has expired within 90 days

GB resident 

Meet minimum eyesight requirements 

You aren’t prevented from driving for any reason 

does leave it it rather open for him, or anyone else to renew on his 70th, 73rd, 76th etc birthday. It’s not as if he can’t afford a driver!

14 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Anyone over 70 can renew their licence every 3 years by applying to the DVLA. 

The 4 criteria appear to be 

Your licence has expired within 90 days

GB resident 

Meet minimum eyesight requirements 

You aren’t prevented from driving for any reason 

does leave it it rather open for him, or anyone else to renew on his 70th, 73rd, 76th etc birthday. It’s not as if he can’t afford a driver!

Interesting stuff that.

He should bloody well get a driver though, as you say!

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I wonder if he’s ever driven a white Fiat through a Paris tunnel...

Rumour has it that one of the ladies in the Kia bears more than a passing resemblance to the Princess of Hearts. It's not, then, an enormous leap of faith to believe that Phil saw this and, in his elderly, confused state, remembered the instructions from 20-odd years ago and decided to finish the job off himself.

Either that or the drugs & blowies theory.

18 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I'd be surprised if he goes out anywhere without a support vehicle with at least two protection officers in it. The manpower's there and already paid for (by us). As others have written before, it'll be his arrogance that put him behind the wheel.

Once the present Queen dies this out dated institution should be consigned to history.

All their Palaces and Estates and any other property that they have leeched of the people should be returned to public ownership.

All the remaining hangers on should be made to work for a living like the rest of us.

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Once the present Queen dies this out dated institution should be consigned to history.

All their Palaces and Estates and any other property that they have leeched of the people should be returned to public ownership.

All the remaining hangers on should be made to work for a living like the rest of us.

I strongly agree. The old argument is that they attract tourists.  This could be addressed by opening up said Palaces and Estates as museums.  That's what other European countries have done with their old Royal Palaces and the tourists still flock in. I don't work myself up into a tizzy about them - I deal with them by ignoring them.  All media is switched off on Royal Wedding Days in my house.

Unfortunately there has been an upswing in interest in them in recent years so I'm afraid we're probably stuck with them for a while yet.

Strangely, don't have much against any individual royal. But as a institution, the are vile.

They propagate and define the class system, they need abolished for that alone.

Sexton Hardcastle

Always strange to see people defend the royals. If this had been any other 97 year old duffer people would be right on to why is he driving but as he’s a royal, he gets special treatment.

Weird weird bunch the royal family fan club. No doubt that douche with the UJ suit outside his hospital bed with the baby doll on his shoulder.

4 minutes ago, southcap said:

Strangely, don't have much against any individual royal. But as a institution, the are vile.

They propagate and define the class system, they need abolished for that alone.

The younger ones are certainly much more amiable than the older ones but that's still no reason to keep them. Another thing about the Royals which grates is they inherited from distant ancestors who amassed most of their wealth by bullying and violence.  They have merely dropped out of the right womb and are no better than the rest of us - quite the reverse.  They're a dysfunctional bunch of overprivileged inbreds.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah better to have Tony Blair or John Major as President 

Thing is, presidents are usually voted in democratically (for the most part) not born into the role. 

Shanks said no
37 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Always strange to see people defend the royals. If this had been any other 97 year old duffer people would be right on to why is he driving but as he’s a royal, he gets special treatment.

Weird weird bunch the royal family fan club. No doubt that douche with the UJ suit outside his hospital bed with the baby doll on his shoulder.

Funny that you mention a Royal Family fan club. A few years ago I found myself on a RF chat forum and was astounded by the cliques on it, they had their favourites and royals they hated, it was great fun trolling them. 

Might try try and find it tonight if I am on the vodka

I just at a cost of $100. had my every two year drivers licence medical for drivers over eighty, this is a mandatory test. My wife had hers  last year and our doctor gave her a negative report because of her peripheral vision. She went to an optometrist and was cleared. She has now voluntarily given up her licence. She does have a driver and a car available at very short notice, her staff are always there, I am not well paid but have other benefits. I am a bit surprised that a ninety seven year old man who has due to health retire from his duties, and has been taken to hospital recently in a quasi emergency medical situation is either allowed or even wants to drive. It is not like he has no availability to vehicles and drivers.  And I may say even more benefits than even I have.

Edited by bobsharp

1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

I just at a cost of $100. had my every two year drivers licence medical, this is a mandatory test. My wife had hers  last year and our doctor gave her a negative report because of her peripheral vision. She went to an optometrist and was cleared. She has now voluntarily given up her licence. She does have a driver and a car available at very short notice, her staff are always there, I am not well paid but have other benefits. I am a bit surprised that a ninety seven year old man who has due to health retire from his duties, and has been taken to hospital recently in a quasi emergency medical situation is either allowed or even wants to drive. It is not like he has no availability to vehicles and drivers.  And I may say even more benefits than even I have.

Honest question to you Bob.

As an ex Polis do you think we would ever have been told if the auld duffer was over the booze limit ?

4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Honest question to you Bob.

As an ex Polis do you think we would ever have been told if the auld duffer was over the booze limit ?

I of course cannot speak for how things are today, but would suspect there would have been a good chance of a quiet word to the investigating officers that possibly discretion might be a good thing. Of course nothing direct would have bben stated but if you were even just half daft you would get the message.

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I of course cannot speak for how things are today, but would suspect there would have been a good chance of a quiet word to the investigating officers that possibly discretion might be a good thing. Of course nothing direct would have bben stated but if you were even just half daft you would get the message.

I very much doubt times have changed.

Shanks said no
49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Pull out on someone from a side road, into a main road, resulting in injuries...expect action to be taken.

His age, is not an excuse. If found guilty of not driving with due care and attention, for example, then a "quiet word" better not be applicable. No matter who it is. Could've easily been a catastrophe yesterday.

Tend to agree with you but would he still be charged if the driver on the main road was speeding, was unlicensed or had an unroadworthy car? 

He’ll get away with absolutely no wrong doing whatsoever. That’s what happens when you live in a country that hundreds of years later intentionally chooses to keep a monarchy and allows them to exist as a sort of ‘above the law’ colony on the land they infest.

William H. Bonney
25 minutes ago, Barack said:

That's a separate set of things for the Police to deal with.

The onus is on the driver emerging into the main carriageway, to be aware of traffic.

How many times have you seen(or done yourself) a car on a main road, indicating to turn into the road you're emerging from?

Example: If you pull out, before that car's past you, (as we've all done) and it transpires the car was going straight on, & had forgottten to cancel his indicator...you're responsible for the accident. 

They'll be spoken to. But you've caused that accident, as you've not anticipated the possible outcome. 

I never go on an indicator. Much to the annoyance of those behind me. 

Stephane Grappelli
11 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Reign?

the only thing he reigns over is his tenna nappy!

You're being very disrespectful to that ****ing parasite.

So what does he get for punishment.

Suspended licence, big deal he's 97.

A fine, aye right, his wife is a multi billionaire.

Pleads not guilty, trial set for 2121, failed to appear, is being judged by a lesser authority in the big heaven.

A reprimand from the judge, yes he will put his career at risk for that.

The fact is he is immune from any ac tion that could befall any of us mere mortals, if not legally, certainly by position alone. The fact that this happened and has been fully reported has probably caused the old sod more angst than any further action can accomplish. The queen will invite the other persons in the incident to lunch at the Big House, and they the Royal couple will be declared as a charming couple who were very sory about the whole incident.

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Pull out on someone from a side road, into a main road, resulting in injuries...expect action to be taken.

His age, is not an excuse. If found guilty of not driving with due care and attention, for example, then a "quiet word" better not be applicable. No matter who it is. Could've easily been a catastrophe yesterday.

3 points on his licence all done quietly is my bet 

It is a bit tricky though. Could have killed someone. 

luckyBatistuta
11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

IMG-20190117-WA0001.jpg

11 hours ago, gjcc said:

:lol: 

Bottom left should be a Corgi though. 

Top right should be Fergie, old dirt bike.

No way this man should be behind the wheel, there is no way his reactions will be good enough. 

Thankfully the old coffin dodger did not kill anyone, but can you imagine the pish and excuses from the royalists and english media had he done so.

Take the license off Phil the Greek before he does.

29 minutes ago, superjack said:

It's a pity he can't afford to get a driver to take him to wherever he wants to go.

This.

Feck driving at 97. Stubborn man. Why not use one of his driver's? It's he's short of cash to do so.

Had to chuckle yesterday when a TV presenter quoted someone who said that if the earth was struck by a meteorite the only surviving creatures would be cockroaches and Prince Philip

According to the TV news he's been spotted driving around without a seatbelt on.

The law doesn't apply to the Royal family he's sticking two fingers up at it.

When are people in this country going to see sense and justice and empty this bunch of parisites. 

33 minutes ago, Barack said:

If he's on the Sandringham Estate, it's private land. Well...the wife's anyway.

He can drive it bawbag naked should he desire.

Bet he has. And her.

Trollop.

Not all roads on Sandringham Estate are private. Could well be a public road. 

56 minutes ago, luckydug said:

According to the TV news he's been spotted driving around without a seatbelt on.

The law doesn't apply to the Royal family he's sticking two fingers up at it.

When are people in this country going to see sense and justice and empty this bunch of parisites. 

Its definitely a relevant opinion you state, my only problem is bad and all as they are, and I have in three stages of my life dealt with them pretty close, I recall Philip taking extreme pleasure in driving into the Buckingham Palace grounds, in these days the gates were wide open and the sentries outside the gates, the police knew the official cars and would give the sentry the heads up for the type of salute to be offered, and off course not aware of who was in this particular car no salute was given. Philip then called the Officer of the Guard and complained he did not get the proper salute, the policeman and the sergeant of the guard of course got told off. Prick he got lots of Royal salutes in a mental manner after that.

In Vancouver I was the sergeant responsible for security whern the Royal Yacht was moored in the Port of Vancouver, again he complained this time about police officers talking and he was unable to sleep. Prick.

The only problem is if you get rid of them, the nuisance you know you could end up with a Donald Trump type as a replacement.

Edited by bobsharp

On 18/01/2019 at 13:56, bobsharp said:

I just at a cost of $100. had my every two year drivers licence medical for drivers over eighty, this is a mandatory test. My wife had hers  last year and our doctor gave her a negative report because of her peripheral vision. She went to an optometrist and was cleared. She has now voluntarily given up her licence. She does have a driver and a car available at very short notice, her staff are always there, I am not well paid but have other benefits. I am a bit surprised that a ninety seven year old man who has due to health retire from his duties, and has been taken to hospital recently in a quasi emergency medical situation is either allowed or even wants to drive. It is not like he has no availability to vehicles and drivers.  And I may say even more benefits than even I have.

There's also questions around whether or not the Duke ever actually sat any form of driving age. He's of age whereby had you any form of military driving experience, you weren't required to apply for a license when they were introduced. 

Seen this being put forward by the BBC's royal correspondent when it happened. Of course he portrayed it as a reason for feeling sorry for him...