Worst ref you have seen

DVB

Dougie "cheat" MacDonald clearly had a dislike for us but no one comes close to Madden for blatant cheating.He is a hopeless referee but there's more to his performances than incompetence imho.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DVB

• SwindonJambo

• Busby8

• It should have been ten

Kevin O'Donnell also sent Robbo off for an alleged headbutt on Albert Kidd at Falkirk the season before that led to him missing the St. Mirren semi final. The game at Parkhead was worst performance I've seen. The play on for foul on Colquhoun sure he signalled a dive when he had free shot from six yards.

Willie Collum is a very good referee. Actually fact is that of the last eight times that the man has officiated at Hearts games, Hearts have never lost. Check it out.

20 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Alan Ferguson. Kept on giving Rangers penalties.

I knew him as he was chairman of my swimming club as a kid. Hated him, I had a stand up row with him once. I was only about 15 - gave him a verbal butt-kicking though! haha

52 minutes ago, Gordon7co said:

Kevin O'Donnell also sent Robbo off for an alleged headbutt on Albert Kidd at Falkirk the season before that led to him missing the St. Mirren semi final. The game at Parkhead was worst performance I've seen. The play on for foul on Colquhoun sure he signalled a dive when he had free shot from six yards.

I was at that game. There may have been a little contact but Kidd went down like a sack of spuds and made a complete meal of it with some disgraceful histrionics.

queensferryjambo
3 hours ago, o1djambo said:

Willie Collum is a very good referee. Actually fact is that of the last eight times that the man has officiated at Hearts games, Hearts have never lost. Check it out.

He refereed the Celtic cup game at Murrayfield and gave Celtic a very soft penalty IMO. Celtic thumped us after they scored it but hardly really threatened us prior to it. That makes it 2 games in a row he has officiated and we haven't lost.

I do agree though he has been much better the last 2 seasons. He had a terrible spell before that with just about every club and manager having a go about his baffling decisions.

Bazzas right boot

Who'd have funk it? 

Collum not making most peoples list. 

3/4 year ago he'd have been mentioned by almost everyone. 

It shows refs can change and improve... Or be replaced by even shiter refs!

I've always thought when Collum is having a good day, he's very good. It's just that he has days that  he brain farts all over the shop, gladly these days are less. 

Someone has confirmed that Syme is who I thought--a creepy, cheating, useless fat *******. Terrible ref from what I remember. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

He refereed the Celtic cup game at Murrayfield and gave Celtic a very soft penalty IMO. Celtic thumped us after they scored it but hardly really threatened us prior to it. That makes it 2 games in a row he has officiated and we haven't lost.

I do agree though he has been much better the last 2 seasons. He had a terrible spell before that with just about every club and manager having a go about his baffling decisions.

As above, he is generally good, but when he has a bad day, by God he does it in style. 

Yellow cards, red cards, 

Wrong decisions. 

He does not do shite by half, he makes sure when he clocks things up he does it in style. 

Seems to have less of the "look  at me" days now, so fair doos to him. 

He's due a whalloper of a game soon tho..... 

Nb, we got absolutely hammered in the sf, he had no influence on it. The pk was soft, but can see why it was given. Can't blame him for it. We were overran. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Brines and madden (currently) for me although there is a few others that come close to taking the prize so I don’t think there is a right and wrong answer 

the only ref I would say that has been lenient toward us would be Thomson, but the other refs kicking around seem to be against us big time 

and that’s me being objective! 

4 hours ago, Remain Nameless01 said:

D.F.T. Syme - Rutherglen

Was he not the man who boasted at his retiral do that he had never officiated at a Rangers game where they had lost?

Amateur game, picture this, a breakaway move, my mate belting down the wing and just managed to get the ball before it went out and cut it back to the eighteen yard line, he fell and rolled over the byeline, my other mate hit it on the full, into the top corner, the ref blew for my mate leaving the pitch without permission, I shit you not.

54 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Was he not the man who boasted at his retiral do that he had never officiated at a Rangers game where they had lost?

Yes he was.  He could have actually walked onto the pitch wearing a bowler hat, white gloves and and orange sash and no one would have been surprised.

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Who'd have funk it? 

Collum not making most peoples list. 

3/4 year ago he'd have been mentioned by almost everyone. 

It shows refs can change and improve... Or be replaced by even shiter refs!

I've always thought when Collum is having a good day, he's very good. It's just that he has days that  he brain farts all over the shop, gladly these days are less. 

Someone has confirmed that Syme is who I thought--a creepy, cheating, useless fat *******. Terrible ref from what I remember. 

I fear it may be a case of this ?

As for worst refs, Foote and Syme take some beating. Special mention also also to Bob Valentine. The only defence for the older refs is that they were part time. The current imposters get handsomely rewarded for being very poor at their job. 

On 15/01/2019 at 22:40, DVB said:

For me Ian Brines is the worst edging out Dougie MacDonald.

Todays mob Beaton, Collum, Dallas and Madden have a long way to go to reach the abysmal standards of these two.

I've no idea what type of referee McDonald actually was as I'd really only ever watched him against Hearts.

But..............

2005/06 derby at Fester Road. Around 8 Hearts bookings or so and the Janny sent off. None for hubz.

Jeez, the law of averages dictates that in any sort of feisty derby, and where about 8 or 9 cards are shown, both teams should register relatively equally.

Mind you, if the referee was a hubz fan we had no chance.

Someone produced a table of stats on refs once and it showed Hearts as a top 4 side over a 10 year period, ( or something like that), and that we had a healthy win ratio.

However, when it was broken down to individual refs, the stats with McDonald in charge had us as a relegation threatened side as our win ratio went significantly down.

The 2006 Cup Final win is often overlooked as any sort of great achievement in comparison to the 98 and 2012, especially as we had wee Gretna in the final.

However, with McDonald refereeing, we had quite a mountain to climb that day and won the thing despite his best hubz efforts.

There's even more .........I've a friend who sat in his company one night at a social doo. 

He twigged right away who he was and didn't let on he was a Hearts fan.

The anti Hearts stuff that clown came out with that night as the drink flowed corroborated everything I'd ever suspected about him.

These days it's Beaton.

Never bet against Rangers when he is in charge, ..............or their Killie sympathisers.

Edited by Busby8

On 15/01/2019 at 22:47, NORVTHEDUCK said:

Willie Gollum is the worst of  today's crop

Yet he refereed the 4-0 Celtic game.

There are a few refs named on this thread who would have had us losing that game.

Ha.... it appears I miscalled McDonald a few posts ago.

Seems it wasn't him refereeing in 2005 at the hubz match.

I'm putting it down to alcohol on the day.

I will of course apologise to the cheating clown if I ever see him in person.

Edited by Busby8

28 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

I've no idea what type of referee McDonald actually was as I'd really only ever watched him against Hearts.

But..............

2005/06 derby at Fester Road. Around 8 Hearts bookings or so and the Janny sent off. None for hubz.

Jeez, the law of averages dictates that in any sort of feisty derby, and where about 8 or 9 cards are shown, both teams should register relatively equally.

Mind you, if the referee was a hubz fan we had no chance.

Someone produced a table of stats on refs once and it showed Hearts as a top 4 side over a 10 year period, ( or something like that), and that we had a healthy win ratio.

However, when it was broken down to individual refs, the stats with McDonald in charge had us as a relegation threatened side as our win ratio went significantly down.

The 2006 Cup Final win is often overlooked as any sort of great achievement in comparison to the 98 and 2012, especially as we had wee Gretna in the final.

However, with McDonald refereeing, we had quite a mountain to climb that day and won the thing despite his best hubz efforts.

There's even more .........I've a friend who sat in his company one night at a social doo. 

He twigged right away who he was and didn't let on he was a Hearts fan.

The anti Hearts stuff that clown came out with that night as the drink flowed corroborated everything I'd ever suspected about him.

I’ve also enjoyed a social occasion with D McDonald. I let him go on with his Hibs/anti-Hearts shite and then told him I was a Jambo and recording what he said. His face was priceless. 

6 minutes ago, grumpy rebus said:

I’ve also enjoyed a social occasion with D McDonald. I let him go on with his Hibs/anti-Hearts shite and then told him I was a Jambo and recording what he said. His face was priceless. 

Brilliant ?

The Old Tolbooth

I'll never forget that League Cup tie away at Ayr when Brines absolutely shafted us senseless that night, the man is a cheat on the field, and a cheat off it, I'd hate to think what kind of copper he'd make! 

Dougie McDonald is a close second, the man is on record as having told another Jambo (when drunk) that his ambition was to officiate a Hearts v Hibs cup final and award HIbs a penalty in the last few minutes, the man was a bonifide cheat, and if Celtic have done one good thing for Scottish football then it's to weed this cretin right out! 

Clancy recently has been abhorrent beyond belief, Dallas was corrupt, but I thought he wasn't too bad a referee when Rangers weren't at stake, his son is a complete abortion though, Kenny Clark (98 cup final penalty apart) was horrendous for us and favoured Celtic for everything, and McGinlay was just a waste of skin! 

Of the new breed, it's easier to list the decent ones rather than the bad ones, the standard has dropped to the worst level ever for me, and you know that's true when Collum is one of the best refs around just now, and he's murder! 

The Old Tolbooth
19 hours ago, DVB said:

IMAG0971.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

I'm pretty sure this picture was taken at East End Park, just after he cheated us out of the League Cup at Ayr, he couldn't even look Sergio in the face the cheating scumbag! 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'll never forget that League Cup tie away at Ayr when Brines absolutely shafted us senseless that night, the man is a cheat on the field, and a cheat off it, I'd hate to think what kind of copper he'd make! 

Dougie McDonald is a close second, the man is on record as having told another Jambo (when drunk) that his ambition was to officiate a Hearts v Hibs cup final and award HIbs a penalty in the last few minutes, the man was a bonifide cheat, and if Celtic have done one good thing for Scottish football then it's to weed this cretin right out! 

Clancy recently has been abhorrent beyond belief, Dallas was corrupt, but I thought he wasn't too bad a referee when Rangers weren't at stake, his son is a complete abortion though, Kenny Clark (98 cup final penalty apart) was horrendous for us and favoured Celtic for everything, and McGinlay was just a waste of skin! 

Of the new breed, it's easier to list the decent ones rather than the bad ones, the standard has dropped to the worst level ever for me, and you know that's true when Collum is one of the best refs around just now, and he's murder! 

It was Willie Young in 98.

17 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Sorry league games I meant to example. My source is Alan Preston on BBC Scotland. Alan referred to seven games undefeated under Willie Collum and we won again that day with him in charge.

Recall McDonald giving Hibs an outrageous penalty at Easter Road.  Might have been the game when Obua won it at the end. 

See when people say there is no corruption in the game they seriously dont have a clue.

5 hours ago, weehammy said:

My late Dad used to concede the game when he knew Bobby Davidson was 'officiating'. Memory not what it was but wasn't Davidson the ref in the 6-5 cup game at Tannadice? I do seem to recall him getting hit by a scotch pie at a corner.

In my adult life Brines takes the biscuit. A smarmy, self-important cheat!

I'm sure you are correct & I agree with your thoughts on Brines. The picture at EEP after the Ayr League Cup tie tells a story.

I seem to recall we "scored" to equalise when 5 - 4 down, but Mr Davidson decided to award us a penalty instead. He was obviously hoping we would miss it, but George Miller did the business.

Reading this thread, it's funny to see the really bad refs from the "old days" are quoted with their home town as well. I'm sure this was stopped many years ago, probably as there are all from Glasgow now!!!

I think all the usual suspects (Past & Present) have been covered by this thread.

18 hours ago, weehammy said:

My late Dad used to concede the game when he knew Bobby Davidson was 'officiating'. Memory not what it was but wasn't Davidson the ref in the 6-5 cup game at Tannadice? I do seem to recall him getting hit by a scotch pie at a corner.

In my adult life Brines takes the biscuit. A smarmy, self-important cheat!

I was at that game,  I'm sure Celtic had a penalty that Marshall saved and he gave a re-take as there was a CELTIC player in the box,  they scored from the re-take...........I was still at school but first time I realised that some refs were corrupt!!

Edit that was the 3 - 4  cup game at tynie

Edited by zakred
addition

14 hours ago, 2205ian said:

I'm sure you are correct & I agree with your thoughts on Brines. The picture at EEP after the Ayr League Cup tie tells a story.

I seem to recall we "scored" to equalise when 5 - 4 down, but Mr Davidson decided to award us a penalty instead. He was obviously hoping we would miss it, but George Miller did the business.

Reading this thread, it's funny to see the really bad refs from the "old days" are quoted with their home town as well. I'm sure this was stopped many years ago, probably as there are all from Glasgow now!!!

I think all the usual suspects (Past & Present) have been covered by this thread.

Rotten Hun Davidson was from Airdrie, which is in, yes, Lanarkshire.

Professed Airdrie supporter!  Aye right!!!

2 hours ago, zakred said:

I was at that game,  I'm sure Celtic had a penalty that Marshall saved and he gave a re-take as there was a CELTIC player in the box,  they scored from the re-take...........I was still at school but first time I realised that some refs were corrupt!!

Edit that was the 3 - 4  cup game at tynie

That, plus 2 offsides!