Worst ref you have seen

DVB

10 hours ago, Glottis said:

Brines when Hibs beat us at ER during 05/06 was definitely the worst single performance from a ref i'd ever seen.

Beaton and Madden seem to be consistently bad for each team.

It was underhill that 2005 game.   

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DVB

• SwindonJambo

• Busby8

• It should have been ten

The arsehole who sent the 4 off at Ibrox. Let Rangers away with everything that day. First game I ever left early I was that disgusted ?

Guest Paul Allen

Iain Brines by a country mile. Remember him calling off our game at Ross County at 2:15pm one time. And I seem to remember him having a nightmare at Pittodrie another time.

Collum and Beaton are the worst of the current crop.

InBack in the day RH Davidson Airdrie then later McDonald and Brines. Today Dallas and the ref I've thought for years is Beaton, incompetent cheating Him. If I'd to pick one for us I'd go for Kevin Clancy

1 hour ago, Royal Jambo said:

Dougie Macdonald in the Kilmarnock away game where Levein fought his ban is still the worst performance I've ever witnessed.  

Levein, "I lost count of the mistakes when it reached 97."

Please me greatly when the cheat was finally caught out in that Dundee Utd match.

That game was a disgrace, bordering on comical. He produced a similar performance at Livingston once as well. 

16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Probably 2nd best after McLean  now.

Agree, Maclean is the best ref in the country by miles though. 

40 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Was that not the game where a Hearts player sliced the ball in a miskick and it went back to our keeper. Keeper picked it up and ref blew for a pass back. Even the Celtic players were laughing.

I remember more recently Robbie neilson did the same thing and a passback was inexplicably given

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Agree, Maclean is the best ref in the country by miles though. 

McLean, Collum, Thomson  Clancy, Madden, Beaton, Dallas of our 7 FIFA refs in order of current ability.

Adding in integrity, I'd drop Collum a place or two.

bil Crombie, sandy clark pen in the 1st 5 mins dens park 1986 and he was supposedly one of us, musta been a big bribe along with the one given to st Mirren.

The Apprentice

I used to hate Charlie Richmond. Have a vague memory of him swearing at Callum Elliot live on TV as well but could be wrong.

26 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

McLean, Collum, Thomson  Clancy, Madden, Beaton, Dallas of our 7 FIFA refs in order of current ability.

Adding in integrity, I'd drop Collum a place or two.

I think Collum has improved greatly over the last 2 seasons.  He's not as impulsive and thinks his decisions through (most of the time!!).  Still prone to a few clangers but nothing like Madden, Beaton of Dallas.  Each of them are so far up the arse cheeks sphincter it's embarrassing and laughable.

As I shared above, they ALL still have a long way to go to eclipse the cheating ways of Syme, Underhill, Rowbottom or MacDonald.

11 hours ago, NORVTHEDUCK said:

Willie Gollum is the worst of  today's crop

The worrying thing is, he really isn't the worst. Which says more about the state of Scottish ref's than anything.

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a ref who worked as a security guard for the council, at Chesser House in the late 80s.  Can anyone remember his name?

Bill Crombie 

letsalldothebeattie

For me Hugh Dallas is right up their as is Ian Brines. 

Of Todays it’s easy to say Collum as he has been shocking over the years but I think he’s improved over the last year. 

Madden, Clancy, Dallas & Beaton take your pick of them for the worst of the current generation 

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

I think Collum has improved greatly over the last 2 seasons.  He's not as impulsive and thinks his decisions through (most of the time!!).  Still prone to a few clangers but nothing like Madden, Beaton of Dallas.  Each of them are so far up the arse cheeks sphincter it's embarrassing and laughable.

As I shared above, they ALL still have a long way to go to eclipse the cheating ways of Syme, Underhill, Rowbottom or MacDonald.

Yep.

In fairness to Collum, on the whole he was consistent, hands anywhere near the ball, penalty.  Unless Celtic of course.

He does appear now to take that quick moment to think now.

53 minutes ago, stevieboobs said:

Bill Crombie 

Thanks. I can't remember if he was good, bad or what, but that's been bugging me for ages. ?

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Brines, McDonald, Dallas, Madden then the tall, skinny bald guy i can't remember his name. John something maybe?

Rowbotham, another useless shitehawk 

13 hours ago, DVB said:

For me Ian Brines is the worst edging out Dougie MacDonald.

Todays mob Beaton, Collum, Dallas and Madden have a long way to go to reach the abysmal standards of these two.

Brines absolutely hated Hearts.....the Takis red card.....Zal's red card for getting headbutted........

avhudtheteeshirt

To be honest we have not seen the worst referee yet, that current way of fast tracking ref's, has been proven to be a disaster, and while it continues the grade of Scottish ref's will drop season on season!!!

On the worst ref to date debate, Bill Crombie said there would be no penalties the day he refereed the Dundee game as his UEFA badge was riding on it!!

Gordon Smith was to be the referee for the game, but called of as he was from the East coast, Crombie took it, the rest is history!!

The next week at the Cup Final, he was at Hampden as a Hearts fan in the Rangers end????

45 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Rowbotham, another useless shitehawk 

That's him.

Ruined so many games back in the day.

It should have been ten
1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

That's him.

Ruined so many games back in the day.

He sure did, he was another awful ref. 

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Didn't he always play an extra 5 mins over the injury time period, especially when we were beating one of the uglies?  

Gave Celtic a penalty in a league cup semi final tie.

Never gave us anything after that game.

Booed every pre match after that Celtic game.

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I remember more recently Robbie neilson did the same thing and a passback was inexplicably given

Robbie sliced a mis-kick????? Surely not!!!!!

14 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

John underhill in the 2005 Derby at Easter Road. 

He didn't book a single hibs player and dished out 7 yellows.  

That was the exact game that came into my head as well

N Lincs Jambo
16 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Who remembers Kevin O’Donnell from back in the 80s? He was struck off after Mercer complained about him adding on about 5+ minutes of injury time at Parkhead during which the home team scored to make it 1-0. 

Same game, John Colquhoun scythed down by Aitken on the 6 yard line not long before the end of the 90. Total assault which should have got a custodial (think Duncan Ferguson got one while at the Huns) and no penalty given. Last game Father O'Donnell was in charge of after Wallace complained to the SFA.

16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

IMD Foote for us oldies. Not once but twice and both times against Hibs.

I was thinking Foote the minute I saw the thread title. Do you remember the game in our first season in the 1st Division against Morton at Tynie? We scored in the 1st or 2nd minute then about a minute later we had the ball in the net again. Foote disallowed the goal but gave us a penalty which was saved. Morton equalised later and game finished 1-1. At the end the ball ended up in the hands of our hard core support under the refreshment kiosk at the half-way line. Foote wanted the ball back. Response from the Hearts support was "Come and get it ya *******!" I honestly think he would have been ripped to shreds if he ventured in that day.

7 hours ago, gowestjambo said:

For all todays bent oficials Kevin O'Donnell wins by a mile!! He was actually better known as FATHER Kevin O'Donnell. My recollection was we got beat 2-1, but Mercer got him demoted after complaining to the SFA - can you imagine that happening today??

He always blamed Mercer but the truth is he was rank.

He refereed us at Fir Park a few weeks before the Celtic game and was equally bad but in our favour. 

Dougie MacDonald was an out and out cheat. 

Also another shout for Allan Fergusson.

When he retired he did a series in the Daily Record. Apparently the hardest person to referee was John Colquhoun. 

This at the time of Willie Miller and Roy Aitken.

iwasthere1954
11 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'll throw in the name Bobby Davidson from Airdrie from the 60s/70s

And 50's . He was the referee for the 1956 cup final against Celtic. 

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

and THEN awards PSG a free kick!!  Is he Madden in disguise?

Edited by jamboiain13

17 hours ago, NORVTHEDUCK said:

Willie Gollum is the worst of  today's crop

17 hours ago, DVB said:

Beaton is worse IMHO

17 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Bobby Madden. The worst refereeing performance I’ve ever seen was his when we played Hamilton at home last season. Absolutely diabolical. He really is a pathetic worm, as are 90% of the referees in this country. The sooner we bring in foreign refs the better. 

17 hours ago, Glottis said:

Brines when Hibs beat us at ER during 05/06 was definitely the worst single performance from a ref i'd ever seen.

Beaton and Madden seem to be consistently bad for each team.

Brines was probably the worst I've seen until Madden and Beaton. I think  Brines was probably just incompetent though, while the other two are actually cheats.

Collum is actually a good referee, so was Dallas in my opinion.

Can't believe there's no mention of Andrew Waddell yet. Refereed every game like he was acting in a Shakespearean tragedy. He gave Aberdeen the penalty in the 1-1 game at the end of 85-86, still no idea what it was for.

9 minutes ago, JWL said:

Can't believe there's no mention of Andrew Waddell yet. Refereed every game like he was acting in a Shakespearean tragedy. He gave Aberdeen the penalty in the 1-1 game at the end of 85-86, still no idea what it was for.

Think that was Bob Valentine. 

Biggest cheats are McDonald and Brines. Syme and Underhill who never got near high profile games but was inexplicably given that derby at Easter Road get dishonourable mentions.

Seems to recall we locked Syme in the changing room after another dodgy performance against one of the bigot brothers. Also in charge of the cup game at Celtic when it all went off due to his dodgy decisions.

4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Think that was Bob Valentine. 

Biggest cheats are McDonald and Brines. Syme and Underhill who never got near high profile games but was inexplicably given that derby at Easter Road get dishonourable mentions.

Seems to recall we locked Syme in the changing room after another dodgy performance against one of the bigot brothers. Also in charge of the cup game at Celtic when it all went off due to his dodgy decisions.

You're right, just watched it. Still don't know how he can give that. Valentine and Waddell were both abysmal refs.

18 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Brines. MacDonald.

Agreed and for the older generation,  R H Davidson. 

Tried his best to get Celtic back into the game in 1956 Final but we were too good.

Managed to do the job at Tynecastle in a cup tie in the early 60's helping Celtic to come back and win 4-3 after us being 3-1 up, with two blatant offside goals. 

My Uncle George couldn't stand him.

For me, Ian Brines. 

Not only was he shit and untrustworthy , he was arrogant as well.  I use to work beside someone who knew a few Hearts and Hibs players, and they were unanimous in finding him a very arrogant and unpleasant person. 

Dougie McDonald contending with  Beaton for second place.  Collum and Madden not far behind. 

Edited by Paolo