Martin O'Neill (NHC)

LeftBack

Looks like O'Neill is next Nottingham Forest manager. Decent manager in his day but I think he has had his day - happy to be proved wrong as have a soft spot for the club. The amount of managers Forest have had since Cloughie is amazing - but I suppose like Man Utd are finding, you cant easily replace a genius.

That's a home coming legend if ever there was one. Pitch up to manage a club for whom you won 2 European Cups as a player 

Forest under Clough were phenomenal 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Yesterdays man I think. Great motivator but it needs more than that now. Tacticians currently rule

Will he take Keane with him?  Also ex Forrest, of course... but a bell end of a man.

O'Neill's one of these where I detest the guy whole heartedly, but reminds me that football isn't life.  Met him a couple of times and he's a lovely man.  Still hate him though!

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sensational appointment for forest

They should confirm their mid table status this season.

Crucially will he get the time. Time Karanka didn't get. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

They aren’t exactly adrift in mid table, they are 4 points off Derby in 6th place who are not in great form. 

8 teams within 6 points there, shaping up for a great potential scrap for that 6th spot. Forest have the chance to go 7th on Saturday at home. 

He will steady the ship no doubt, but who knows how far he can take them. Then again, like a lot of clubs in England, their run pretty shambolic. Seems to be a vicious circle at clubs like that.

Appoint coach, starts off strong enough, don't back him, then punt him when the cracks show and things go sour.

3 minutes ago, jambo-rocker said:

Hopefully he doesn't ask MacPhee to go with them. 

macphee works with michael oneill with northern ireland not martin oneill

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They aren’t exactly adrift in mid table, they are 4 points off Derby in 6th place who are not in great form. 

8 teams within 6 points there, shaping up for a great potential scrap for that 6th spot. Forest have the chance to go 7th on Saturday at home. 

There are 14 or 15 clubs with a chance of promotion. With 19 games (57 points) to go. 

The current form teams (last 13 or so games are. (Who do you think they are?)

1. Hull

2. Leeds

3. Norwich 

The only teams to have sustained winning runs. The teams that have most impressed. 

Which is what you need to do now. Or be the best of the bunch. And win the play offs. 

The problem I have with Nottm Forest is they either have to have a really good sustained run like Hull's current run or be 'lucky' ie just make it. In addition to the sides that have proved good enough to have sustained runs Sheffield United, West Brom, Middlesborough, Derby have all looked strong. Its just they all drop points. 

Then you have Bristol City, Birmingham, QPR, Aston Villa, Swansea which is the group I'd put Nottm Forest with. And that's before you get to Stoke who started strong favourites to win league. While Brentford in 17th are 12 points behind play off place. 

Forest have to play most of these teams. Can they really finish 2nd? Or go up via the play offs? They are not favourites. 

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Someone to give Brenda a run for his money in the most patronising prick competition

Totally agree. 

Yesterday's man, playing football from the dark ages with Ireland. He pissed money away on dross at Villa and then walked out when he couldn't get more cash from Randy Lerner. Not to be trusted and certainly NOT to be trusted in the transfer market ...he's not the good guy he comes across as on TV. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

There are 14 or 15 clubs with a chance of promotion. With 19 games (57 points) to go. 

The current form teams (last 13 or so games are. (Who do you think they are?)

1. Hull

2. Leeds

3. Norwich 

The only teams to have sustained winning runs. The teams that have most impressed. 

Which is what you need to do now. Or be the best of the bunch. And win the play offs. 

The problem I have with Nottm Forest is they either have to have a really good sustained run like Hull's current run or be 'lucky' ie just make it. In addition to the sides that have proved good enough to have sustained runs Sheffield United, West Brom, Middlesborough, Derby have all looked strong. Its just they all drop points. 

Then you have Bristol City, Birmingham, QPR, Aston Villa, Swansea which is the group I'd put Nottm Forest with. And that's before you get to Stoke who started strong favourites to win league. While Brentford in 17th are 12 points behind play off place. 

Forest have to play most of these teams. Can they really finish 2nd? Or go up via the play offs? They are not favourites. 

I’m no expert but what you said was that they are effectively now a guaranteed mid table side as though they are currently 20 points adrift - they aren’t. They are not finishing second either but O’Neil has a great opportunity to get that club into the playoffs looking at the table as it stands. It’s just over the halfway mark in the season so everybody has to play everybody. If he can get big home wins against Bristol City and Wigan, then turn Birmingham over away then it is on for Forest. A big ask but you would not put it past the O Neil who managed Leicester, Celtic and Villa... the question is, is he still that man. Or is that him fecked after Sunderland and Ireland. We’ll soon find out! 

25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’m no expert but what you said was that they are effectively now a guaranteed mid table side as though they are currently 20 points adrift - they aren’t. They are not finishing second either but O’Neil has a great opportunity to get that club into the playoffs looking at the table as it stands. It’s just over the halfway mark in the season so everybody has to play everybody. If he can get big home wins against Bristol City and Wigan, then turn Birmingham over away then it is on for Forest. A big ask but you would not put it past the O Neil who managed Leicester, Celtic and Villa... the question is, is he still that man. Or is that him fecked after Sunderland and Ireland. We’ll soon find out! 

6 points might as well be 20 points if you can't put a good run together. 

And when you have to play 19 clubs nearly all of whom have equally something to play for with broadly equal quality squads. 

23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Karanka was hated by the players - inside info

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2019 at 12:29, TheBigO said:

Will he take Keane with him?  Also ex Forrest, of course... but a bell end of a man.

That's a yes

Keane has joined as assistant 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

That's a yes

Keane has joined as assistant 

I wondered if there was another managerial gig in Keane. He could take that job when O'Neill goes. Did a pretty good job at Sunderland.

• 2 months later...

Whatever the reasons for appointing him O'Neill hasn't managed to change anything. 

Confirmed this afternoon they are staying in Championship for next season. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Whatever the reasons for appointing him O'Neill hasn't managed to change anything. 

Confirmed this afternoon they are staying in Championship for next season. 

I think he needs more time than three months to change anything. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, benny said:

Is Cummings still there.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

isn't he on loan at peterborough?

On loan at Luton.

Jambo 4 Ever
On 14/01/2019 at 12:25, Mikey1874 said:

Will be really funny if he fails. 

Hopefully he understands how hard a task he has. 

Why would it be funny?

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Why would it be funny?

I can't believe I am biting but because he's a patronising Celtic prick who moaned his arse off about tge lack of a level playing field in Europe. 

Happy to see him fall on his arse when he can't buy success. File under McLeish, Smith, Lennon and Brenda.

Forever Hearts
12 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I can't believe I am biting but because he's a patronising Celtic prick who moaned his arse off about tge lack of a level playing field in Europe. 

Happy to see him fall on his arse when he can't buy success. File under McLeish, Smith, Lennon and Brenda.

And playing his under 12 side v Killie on the last day of the season knowing that ourselves and Killie were both chasing the last European place. 

shaun.lawson
On 15/01/2019 at 08:39, Des Lynam said:

The dinosaur chat is chronic. 

Folk are sheep just just repeating what they’ve heard on tv or radio. 

Um... but he is a dinosaur.

The thing about O'Neill is I don't think he ever had a deep tactical understanding of the game, or any real philosophy on how to play. He was just a magnificent, brilliant motivator and man-manager... and John Robertson was vital to him. Every bit as much as Peter Taylor was to Brian Clough.

O'Neill did superbly at Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic... but peaked at Celtic in 2003/4, didn't know how to build a new side, and lost his edge. He spent insane amounts at Villa but got nowhere; was crap at Sunderland and pretty crap with Ireland. He was just lucky with them more than anything else.

And the 'football' they and Sunderland played under him... Christ. He's 15 years past his best now, and it shows. He's a hoofball merchant, one of the worst around - and without Robertson, he's been nothing like what he once was.