Euan Henderson

daveyhmfc

Loan extended at Montrose until end of season. What are people's thoughts on Euan? Does he have a long-term future at Hearts. How does he compare to Rory Currie and Aidan Keena? For what it is worth, I have not seen him play too many times.

rudi must stay

For me. No not really. He's looked rubbish, but I've heard he looks a different player for the reserves. Maybe he can replicate his form for the first team, this was the same story for Jack Hamilton IMO. 

rudi must stay

As for the other side. Currie, I'm not sure. He's good technically, in the SPL you get pushed and shoved though I'm not sure he is but I like him as a footballer, he's a lively and clever player. As for Keena, absolutely: goalscorer and he has that edge and confidence that you want in a player.

Out of the two I'd say Keena is more likely to make it

HamishMcGonagall

Runs like he's holding in a jobby. Never been impressed by him when I've seen him play but maybe that's just down to a confidence thing.  Probably worth keeping another year or so if he is so good for the reserves, see if he builds up the confidence to carry it through to the first team after more time on loan.

1 hour ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Runs like he's holding in a jobby. Never been impressed by him when I've seen him play but maybe that's just down to a confidence thing.  Probably worth keeping another year or so if he is so good for the reserves, see if he builds up the confidence to carry it through to the first team after more time on loan.

Haha ! Totally true though. Don't have high hopes for the lad. Seen him play first team and reserves and isn't great.

He’s a lower league player, will never make it at Hearts.  I agree with the other posters about Keena and Currie looking like more natural footballers.

A few harsh comments on here, I've watched a little of him on the Montrose youtube channel and he seems to get involved quite often. At only 18 he's plenty of time to develop technically as his physical attributes are pretty decent. He's a couple years younger than Currie.

StevenNaismith

Euan is very highly rated by all at the club, Craig Levein being his biggest admirer. Big 18 months coming up for the lad and I wish him the very best of luck. Some of the comments on this thread about a young boy who is desperate to play for Hearts are very poor at best.

He's 18 and seems to be playing well for Montrose in League 1. He has plenty of time to develop. At this stage no one can know for sure how good he'll turn out to be, but he looks like a good prospect and that it's worth investing in his development.

A player has to give football 100%.Spend time getting better.If you don’t make it at 16 bye bye.Hearts have no one in the team maybe Brandon as for the rest get rid.I remember Robbos first game a class act.

scott herbertson

Thought he looked a real prospect in his first game at Murrayfield - good body strength , pace and aggression. A bit like a young Michael Owen. Hasn’t prigressed as much or as quick as I thought he might but there’s still time yet. Of the three mentioned Keena seems to me to be making the strongest case for inclusion in the matchday squad as he has the physical attributes to manage against the hammer throwers masquerading as footballer in most sides

On his debut at Ross County, I thought he put in one of the most mature performances from a youngster while we were down to ten men.

Captain Sausage
16 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

A player has to give football 100%.Spend time getting better.If you don’t make it at 16 bye bye.Hearts have no one in the team maybe Brandon as for the rest get rid.I remember Robbos first game a class act.

Cochrane? McDonald? Godinho? Hamilton? Burns? Currie? Keena?

Just get rid of all of them?

thought Henderson's first game against Aberdeen at Murrayfield was decent. Not been impressed since and he's looked miles off the pace in the other games. He's young and time will tell if he's able to improve significantly which he'll need to do to stay at Hearts

Edited by maroonsgotop

Based on absolutely nothing (the kickback way) Keena seems to be ready for first team . I appreciate he would be , basically , a sub this season but , if he can be recalled , maybe give him enough game time to be ready for next season ?

Most people's impressions will be based on the lad last season who could have still been playing u17s. He did well stepping up into the 20s so that's a good sign of playing above your level. Obviously playing at 16 17 in the top flight was a jump too far but he still showed signs. 

Good player and a loan this season and next will do him well.

41 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Euan is very highly rated by all at the club, Craig Levein being his biggest admirer. Big 18 months coming up for the lad and I wish him the very best of luck. Some of the comments on this thread about a young boy who is desperate to play for Hearts are very poor at best.

Bang on. Totally agree

26 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

Well done for possibly the all time worst reply in history. 

1 minute ago, VivaObua said:

There's no possibly about it.

Have a look at some of his other pearls of wisdom, hilarious if you can decipher his use of the language

9 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

Loan extended at Montrose until end of season. What are people's thoughts on Euan? Does he have a long-term future at Hearts. How does he compare to Rory Currie and Aidan Keena? For what it is worth, I have not seen him play too many times.

Let's face it the majority of young players at most clubs never come through at the top level.

If we get one or two out of each group then we are doing well.

Look at Harry Cochrane this season he has hardly kicked a ball for us albeit partly due to injuries but I know he has a long way to go for a 17 year old.

59 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Hopefully he realises that the right attitude is important to achieving that goal then ??

42 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

:cornette:

Edited by To Be Frank

1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

Young players need to assert themselves more to make an impact.

When Euan made his debut as half time sub at Ross County he changed the game with his runs and pressing. But somehow seemed to make little impact in the other games he then played. 

He's got time. He is only 18. 

"Making it" at Hearts is harder than anywhere except the OF. Being a good judge of, and developing footballers between the ages of 16 and 20 is actually very, very difficult...Probably the hardest job at any football club. Which is why it annoys me that newbie coaches get given this role as part of their own development...

Edited by Spellczech

1 hour ago, Jambo100 said:

This is a site for Hearts fand mate. Think you are looking for the wee team.   Clown

The Apprentice
1 hour ago, Jambo100 said:

**** me! What an absolute pile of drivel. 

The Apprentice

It’s Henderson vs Currie today as Montrose play East Fife. I’ve got it on my goal rush so hopefully both can get get on the scoresheet.

7 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Runs like he's holding in a jobby.

I believe it’s hereditary incontinence. Runs in the family. 

5 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Spot on. Quite unbelievable how fans are happy to trash our young players. Writing off an 18 year old beggars belief. Shameful.

3 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Spot on. Quite unbelievable how fans are happy to trash our young players. Writing off an 18 year old beggars belief. Shameful.

Feels like this is the current development pathway to the first team (obviously there will be exceptions)...

Age 16-17: A few first team appearances.

Age 17-18: Loan to League One

Age 18-19: Loan to Championship

Age19-20: Hearts First Team Squad

Age 20-21: Established first team player

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think as a club we are a bit guiltily of ditching players too soon and Henderson looked to have something positive to be worked on when I saw him play. Haven't been following his loan but I still think we need to give him a chance to make it here. Sometimes the fans call for the quick fix and don't give players time to develop fully, we need to show patience more. 

8 hours ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

He is from the Borders!

mainstandjambo
4 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

It’s Henderson vs Currie today as Montrose play East Fife. I’ve got it on my goal rush so hopefully both can get get on the scoresheet.

Henderson substituted at Half Time. Currie not listed in East Fife squad.

August Landmesser
6 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

On his debut at Ross County, I thought he put in one of the most mature performances from a youngster while we were down to ten men.

Seconded. He was very impressive in that game - strong, held the ball up well and made sensible choices. I thought he'd kick on from that, but he is only young so he still has time to get going.

jamboinglasgow
8 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

I agree.

I think Cochrane adapting really well to the first team last season clouded everyone's perception of other youngsters. People need to realise that Cochrane is a freak (in the best way possible)in how quickly he was able to settle in to the first team at 16. Very few players can do that. So in peoples mind it became if a player struggled aged 17/18 then it means they will never make it.

We need to change our attitude to the youngsters, players develop at different times. Surely we want the youngsters who can become great players, then it shouldn't matter if it takes them till age 21 to become a a decent first team player as opposed to 16 or 17.

Henderson has had some good moments but struggled for most of last season, had it not been the lack of players he would have been not used too much especially when he was suffering. Everything I could find from Montrose fans online said they were really pleased he had his loan extended.

I thought the way he muscled himself in front of several premier league defenders and used his body to shield and win the ball exhibited a natural ability. Give the lad a chance. 

Thing about laddies that age is they change season by season, nobody on here can say he is not good enough for Hearts, what will be will be.

Fort Vallance

Seen him a few times for Montrose this season. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground. He's had a few m o m performances and a few where he would have just as well being hooked after 15 minutes. Don't see him making it at the level we want to be at but good enough to make a living at the game.