Leeds Utd - Twirly

bigdav

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

I knew someone would mention the Geordies' comfort blanket.

The old Fairs Cup, although considered to be the forerunner of the UEFA Cup, was an invitation tournament. Criteria for entry included having to host a trade fair in the city, or something like that.

Leeds won a couple of Fairs Cups, but their fans don't bother about it because they were also winning proper trophies at the time.

Didn't know the trade fair thing.

I do remember the 'one city, one club' rule, which meant that we did not get into Europe in 1970 in spite of finishing fourth, because Hibs were third. Teams below us got in instead. But we got the consolation of the first ever Texaco Cup, which was the highlight of the 70-71 season.

53 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Fair enough. They finished 10th the previous season, but I'll take your word for it.

I suspect some clubs may have refused to participate? 

Morton, Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers represented Scotland. 

I seem to remember that the Fairs cup was given to the highest placed city that didn't have a team in Europe that year. So if a London team, a Liverpool team, and  a Manchester team qualified then you could qualify by being quite a bit down the league.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Quiz question

1. Who holds (has) the Fairs Cup

2. How did they have the right to do so? 

Barcelona. 

As first winners they played Leeds, the last winners, for the trophy. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Captain_Peacock said:

Amen brother, it would be hard to know where to start.

Been a pleasure this year. They even lose the right way. History has taught me not to look further than Stoke. 

And enjoy the ride. Maybe 

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:28, Konrad von Carstein said:

I think that in England at the moment there are big clubs, Leeds are one of those along with Villa and a the usual suspects, sadly there are now rich clubs down there being bracketed as big clubs...Man City and Chelsea both who were who were eff all until they lucked out with rich owners and Sky.

City were a big club at the same time as Leeds.

Villa were a third tier club at one point with no real success in the 60's and early 70's.

On 12/01/2019 at 06:59, Sir Gio said:

Hung around since the 70s that twirly.

Champions of Europe the chant as they twirl in reference to the scandal of the final loss to Bayern where the ref was bribed 

15 hours ago, luckydug said:

Played in a greyhound stadium☺

I think the worst bribery scandal was Roma v Arabs. It should have been a Dundee United v Liverpool final. 

16 hours ago, His name is said:

I dont get folk who are passionate for a 2nd club. Hearts and hearts only ??

I get that, Hearts are in the heart, a total emotional connection that logic cannot defy (massive highs and huge depressing lows) with another club it is easier and less stressful, a defeat is not life threatening, the end of the world, one can look at things in an unemotional way!

It’s very hard to explain hopefully I’ve tried!

It should have been ten
11 minutes ago, Hanseskillson said:

ALAW

NO, no we’re not :nono:

Hate Leeds with a passion. Scummy club with scummy fans and hope they never play in the top tier again :smile:

On 12/01/2019 at 00:10, Smithee said:

Yep, city could still rely on crowds of 30k+ in the third tier. Money's killing football, yet I kind of feel if anyone deserves it, city fans have earned their time in the sun for their loyalty while things seemed hopeless and their biggest rivals were winning everything in sight.

They might not have won much in the years before their takeover but they've always been a big club.

I know a lot of city fans who’ve been there since the before the club had money, they lived in Utds shadow for a long time but they love their club. Hugely unfair this tag they get now they have money. If a sheik walked into Hearts and propelled us above the old firm I doubt many would complain and yearn for the days of finishing below them year in and year out!