Leeds Utd - Twirly

bigdav

1 minute ago, bigdav said:

Doing a fairly good version of the twirly just now. 

Have they not lost 3 games in a row?

they should be sacking their manager FFS?

I've never understood whats up with Leeds. Like, big club. Loads of fans, one club city. But all these foreign gazillionaires that have came into english football bought clubs like Man city, Hull, QPR, Wolves, Bournemouth, Leicester, Fulham. I suppose there is the london effect with QPR and Fulham but it amazes me there has barely been any interest in Leeds, especially given how big they were before they went tits up. Seems a far safer bet to sink money into Leeds than Bournemouth, Hull or Wolves...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
44 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Doing a fairly good version of the twirly just now. 

Hung around since the 70s that twirly.

Champions of Europe the chant as they twirl in reference to the scandal of the final loss to Bayern where the ref was bribed 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've never understood whats up with Leeds. Like, big club. Loads of fans, one club city. But all these foreign gazillionaires that have came into english football bought clubs like Man city, Hull, QPR, Wolves, Bournemouth, Leicester, Fulham. I suppose there is the london effect with QPR and Fulham but it amazes me there has barely been any interest in Leeds, especially given how big they were before they went tits up. Seems a far safer bet to sink money into Leeds than Bournemouth, Hull or Wolves...

Long story 

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The "big club" thing with Leeds is a bit of a myth really. Apart from the Revie era and the Howard Wilkinson title season they haven't really done much. They won nothing during the Ridsdale period, despite their suicidal spending.

Outwith these periods they have been pretty ordinary, especially for a one club city with such a massive fan base (they really do hoover up support from all over Yorkshire and beyond).

I admit to disliking them intensely, but I stand by my summary 

I suppose it depends on how you categorise a big club?? I think in england you historically have Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal then in more recent years you can chuck in City/Chelsea due to the money 

Then you have a whole list of clubs who have huge supports and have had periods of success Leeds, Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc 

Konrad von Carstein
15 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The "big club" thing with Leeds is a bit of a myth really. Apart from the Revie era and the Howard Wilkinson title season they haven't really done much. They won nothing during the Ridsdale period, despite their suicidal spending.

Outwith these periods they have been pretty ordinary, especially for a one club city with such a massive fan base (they really do hoover up support from all over Yorkshire and beyond).

I think that in England at the moment there are big clubs, Leeds are one of those along with Villa and a the usual suspects, sadly there are now rich clubs down there being bracketed as big clubs...Man City and Chelsea both who were who were eff all until they lucked out with rich owners and Sky.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, sassenach said:

A club with values and tradition amongst the following. 

You have contradicted yourself in the summation. 

They are a huge club. No club in the UK can beat selling 100 percent away tickets. And for years. 

Passed through generations Leeds United's potential has been squandered horribly over the years. 

People come from all over to watch regardless of results 

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I like Leeds because they hate Man Utd, that'll do for me ?

I don't....Lolerpool on the other hand ?

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I think that in England at the moment there are big clubs, Leeds are one of those along with Villa and a the usual suspects, sadly there are now rich clubs down there being bracketed as big clubs...Man City and Chelsea both who were who were eff all until they lucked out with rich owners and Sky.

Myth.

Chelsea and Man City were ‘big clubs’ in England long before Abramovic and Mansour took over, in Chelsea’s case they’d even won half a dozen trophies in 90’s including the Cup Winners Cup prior to the takeover.

Both clubs are even ranked 6th and 8th in the all time league rankings in English football.

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

They haven’t gained over 2000 points on Leeds in just the last few years.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Newcastle, despite also being a one club city with a large fan base, have won nothing since the 1950s. They are bigger underachievers than Hibs 

Apart from the Uefa cup. 

17 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Myth.

Chelsea and Man City were ‘big clubs’ in England long before Abramovic and Mansour took over, in Chelsea’s case they’d even won half a dozen trophies in 90’s including the Cup Winners Cup prior to the takeover.

Both clubs are even ranked 6th and 8th in the all time league rankings in English football.

Chelsea had a 2 stage investment. Matthew Harding started it and then Abramovitch arrived. Prior to Harding they had a dismal record for such a large club. 

13 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Myth.

Yep, city could still rely on crowds of 30k+ in the third tier. Money's killing football, yet I kind of feel if anyone deserves it, city fans have earned their time in the sun for their loyalty while things seemed hopeless and their biggest rivals were winning everything in sight.

They might not have won much in the years before their takeover but they've always been a big club.

My half sister
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Leeds scum - let’s hope they never ever get to disgrace the premier league 

What makes you say that

Just now, My half sister said:

What makes you say that

They are the worst bad things in football!! Imagine SFA + SPFL + Celtic + Rangers blended together!! That gets close!!

My half sister
Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

They are the worst bad things in football!! Imagine SFA + SPFL + Celtic + Rangers blended together!! That gets close!!

You'll need to tell me more, J-F

1 minute ago, My half sister said:

You'll need to tell me more, J-F

Bad reputation at home and abroad, sort of like old-firmish!! Hopefully that’s enough, just a personal view on my experiences,

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Yeah it's brilliant

My half sister
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Bad reputation at home and abroad, sort of like old-firmish!! Hopefully that’s enough, just a personal view on my experiences,

No problem,  who's your English team?

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I think Mr. Mackay, in Porridge, described Leeds United (in the early/mid '70's) best: hard, but fair. Like himself. 

Fearsome, in equal measures, as a great footballing team and for it's brutality. 

Also blew more titles/Cups than Hearts but in a much shorter timescale. Won the League in 1969 and 1974 but also chucked it away in 1965, 1971 and 1972. Lost FA Cup finals they shouldn't have in 1970 and '73 too. 

11 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think Mr. Mackay, in Porridge, described Leeds United (in the early/mid '70's) best: hard, but fair. Like himself. 

Fearsome, in equal measures, as a great footballing team and for it's brutality. 

Also blew more titles/Cups than Hearts but in a much shorter timescale. Won the League in 1969 and 1974 but also chucked it away in 1965, 1971 and 1972. Lost FA Cup finals they shouldn't have in 1970 and '73 too. 

Edit: working nightshift, btw, and bored out of my skull.  

17 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I knew someone would mention the Geordies' comfort blanket.

The old Fairs Cup, although considered to be the forerunner of the UEFA Cup, was an invitation tournament. Criteria for entry included having to host a trade fair in the city, or something like that.

Leeds won a couple of Fairs Cups, but their fans don't bother about it because they were also winning proper trophies at the time.

The year Newcastle won it, entry was based on league position, as it is now.

One of the great teams from the 60's and 70's.

Rumours of bungs though at their peak.

Replacing Revie was their downfall.

Armfield made a good effort of it.

The rest were out of their depth.

God knows what Clough was trying to achieve in his short spell there.

Won a lot and lost a lot.

Top team who also should have won more trophies than they did.

Plus if you look back on YouTube they were a shower of dirty ##### and it is easy to see why they were not liked at the time.

The Old Tolbooth
9 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I don't....Lolerpool on the other hand ?

You've always been a tad bitter towards Liverpool ya radge ?

23 minutes ago, His name is said:

I dont get folk who are passionate for a 2nd club. Hearts and hearts only ??

It's lost on me too. Just can't feel the same way about any other team.

I'm not that fussed about Leeds however they would be a bigger asset to the premier League than a lot of the team's already there. Would be good to see them back at the top.

11 hours ago, sassenach said:

Out of your final list, Everton and Aston Villa have won European trophies, so by virtue of their achievements they are big clubs.

Newcastle, despite also being a one club city with a large fan base, have won nothing since the 1950s. They are bigger underachievers than Hibs 

I would check agsin as to when they last won something. 1969 to be precise.

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Chelsea had a 2 stage investment. Matthew Harding started it and then Abramovitch arrived. Prior to Harding they had a dismal record for such a large club. 

Played in a greyhound stadium☺