Kilmarnock

Rudy T

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You shouldn't have bitten Pasquale. The guy is a complete wind up merchant. You are correct though,  you just have to look at the difference he made immediately with Lee McCulloch's players. I'll bet CL wishes he could find a way to replicate his results against the OF. A good manager can overcome adversity and still get results. They can usually find other playing styles to cope rather than relying on one mythical method that always seem to require identikit players to implement it. 

Couldn’t help it ?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The league is not there for the taking this year and never has been. Celtic will pull away. That they are not pulling away already is because of sheer arrogance and complacency IMO on the part of Rodgers and Lawell as they should have signed better, more experienced players with the money they've got. It's not because all the other teams suddenly got better. Ourselves and Rangers got better this season, but Hibs and Aberdeen have got worse and Killie are about the same.

As for Clarke, the real test starts now in terms of how he can cope with significant setbacks. Let's see how he copes without his best players for an extended period as we've had to. There's no doubt he's done a great job. I just don't see why that needs to be used as a stick to beat Levein with.

Because Frank made the comparison, not me. We shall see how much Celtic will pull away, if we had a decent couple of months we would be well ahead of them.

9 hours ago, Jambo83 said:

Agree that Clarke is the main reason behind their success, but there's not a chance they'll stay at the same level if they lose those 3 players.  See the change in our fortunes with no Berra, Naismith or Lafferty for a few months..  you can't lose that much quality from a small squad and keep your consistency.

Clarke asked for the job. Supported them growing up. Maybe he'll stay with Killie.

20 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Clarke asked for the job. Supported them growing up. Maybe he'll stay with Killie.

Didn't know he supported them. He could potentially be their Jim Jefferies.

38 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Lot of reports stating that he was a Celtic supporter growing up as well as some saying Killie.

Never seen a direct quote.

Edit: Probably as close as you'll get.

https://twitter.com/ScotsFootyCards/status/945742587029319685/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^945742587029319685&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffootball-news%2Fsteve-clarke-always-been-kilmarnock-11758402

Then there's nonsense like this.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2411001/steve-clarke-davie-provan-rangers-kilmarnock/

Edited by graygo

7 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Dof position no longer exists if and when Levein steps down he will just be a board member

The DoF position does still exist and is occupied by Craig Levein!  He is also manager and a board member.

It remains to be seen if he'll continue in the DoF role when he eventually leaves the manager role, and if he doesn't continue in the DoF role, it will be interesting to see if the role is abandoned at that point or if someone else is appointed to it. Personally, I think it's highly likely that we'll continue to have a DoF, but I think it's only likely to be Levein if he's quitting the manager role on a high.

On 11/01/2019 at 09:16, kila said:

That is a shame, I wanted a strong Killie to keep taking points off the OF.

Not me - they are our main rivals for 3rd place.

On 11/01/2019 at 15:22, buzzbomb1958 said:

Dof position no longer exists if and when Levein steps down he will just be a board member

Wanna bet.

2 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not me - they are our main rivals for 3rd place.

No chance.

Aberdeen are the main rivals for 3rd. Always have been, they've been at that level for years, just took then a while to find their feet this season. Hopefully GMS leaves.

Fort Vallance
On 11/01/2019 at 18:06, JamboGraham said:

Not for me, I am enthusiastically petty on this. I am numb to Celtic and former Rangers winning titles. For over 30 years now I have been conditioned to feel nothing watching two teams that can’t even celebrate a title with a bus parade pass the league trophy back and forward between them in a closed contest. If this is to be broken it will require a chain of events so improbable that it is likely to be a once in a generation event at best and I have already used up at least one of my generations, perhaps two depending on how you measure it. So no if it isn’t going to be us then I don’t ever want to look at another Scottish side with envy. I have no interest in the greater good of the Scottish game unless that directly benefits us (ideally at the expense of others) and I have no desire to express faux admiration for another club should they ever manage to achieve something that I have spent much of my time on this planet dreaming about for us.

Thanks. Spot on and saved me ages trying to type it.

On 11/01/2019 at 22:00, Pasquale for King said:

Because Frank made the comparison, not me. We shall see how much Celtic will pull away, if we had a decent couple of months we would be well ahead of them.

We are in 5th place and we need a huge effort to overtake Aberdeen and Killie in the second part of the season. Third is still within our grasp but we must get off to a flier after the winter break. 

Killie have done superbly but have been slightly weakened the same as we were earlier in the season. Will be interesting to see if they can keep their for going. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

We are in 5th place and we need a huge effort to overtake Aberdeen and Killie in the second part of the season. Third is still within our grasp but we must get off to a flier after the winter break. 

Killie have done superbly but have been slightly weakened the same as we were earlier in the season. Will be interesting to see if they can keep their for going. 

Definitely ??

31 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

No chance.

Aberdeen are the main rivals for 3rd. Always have been, they've been at that level for years, just took then a while to find their feet this season. Hopefully GMS leaves.

This is a poorly thought out post.

We will see how good Clarke is now.He is lucky that all their players that are leaving are doing so in the transfer window.

That should make it easier for him rather than the 3 months before the window like Craig got.

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

We were SLIGHTLY weakened????????

We need a bigger league. I can't see any other team ever winning the league without that. Having to play the huns and Celtic 8 times a season makes this farcical. More over, the split ensures points are dropped which makes it even more difficult. Underpin all of that with having to play all clubs 3/4 times (depending on split), any semi competent manager will be able to get the better of most clubs given the similar resources at the other 10 clubs (which means even getting the better of the OF more often than not means nothing). 

Moving to an 18 team league gives non-OF clubs a fair crack at the whip. Puts more emphasis on each fixture - lose to hibs at Tynie and thats it for the season. Spice up the league with more teams that should really be top flight teams (Falkirk, ICT, Dundee Utd). How many serious leagues actually have so few teams in their premier division?

It needs to happen if there is any will to shake things up so a non-OF team might win the league. This isn't sport, its just letting weegies shoot fish in a barrel. 

Jimmy_McNulty

Meh, but I hope Killie keep it up. Never had a hate for them; when I started going to Tynie back in the 80s I always viewed them as a mid-table team similar to us.

7 hours ago, OTT said:

We need a bigger league. I can't see any other team ever winning the league without that. Having to play the huns and Celtic 8 times a season makes this farcical. More over, the split ensures points are dropped which makes it even more difficult. Underpin all of that with having to play all clubs 3/4 times (depending on split), any semi competent manager will be able to get the better of most clubs given the similar resources at the other 10 clubs (which means even getting the better of the OF more often than not means nothing). 

Moving to an 18 team league gives non-OF clubs a fair crack at the whip. Puts more emphasis on each fixture - lose to hibs at Tynie and thats it for the season. Spice up the league with more teams that should really be top flight teams (Falkirk, ICT, Dundee Utd). How many serious leagues actually have so few teams in their premier division?

It needs to happen if there is any will to shake things up so a non-OF team might win the league. This isn't sport, its just letting weegies shoot fish in a barrel. 

Agree 100%

However the SKY deal HAS to ensure 4 OF games a year! Which means the ref has to make sure that rangers don't slip to 7th before the split & also the cup games,they've never faced each other in the early stages & they're always given lower league opposition. A bigger league would only ensure 2+ OF games.Thats the REAL reason the SFA don't want a bigger league.

7 hours ago, OTT said:

Very much this. Football is a confidence game, imagine the confidence of players, management and fans if they can go on long winning and unbeaten runs. Hell, we went on that long unbeaten run last season, despite us relying on 16-year-olds to get is through it bred confidence. Problem is it doesn’t matter if you are going well, when you’ve got a trip to Glasgow around the corner and a 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 coming your way it tends to stop you in your tracks. And as you say, less fixtures against these teams makes the fixture more intense, meaning teams can have a go a little more. They don’t have to play for a draw, they can look to attack knowing it’s one fixture and move on. I don’t buy into this “it’s less exciting as there’s 10-14 teams in the middle that have nothing to play for” nonsense. If the game was shown correctly, a bigger league can be highlighted for being more than just two teams.

Governor Tarkin
On 11/01/2019 at 14:54, Pasquale for King said:

Ok that’s twice so I will bite

Don't bite, mate, Franko's at the sarcy windup. ?

On 11/01/2019 at 14:54, Pasquale for King said:

if we can’t win the league I would rather they did a Leicester wouldn’t you?

Yes. Yes I would.

On 11/01/2019 at 15:13, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I would take Clarke, good manager at our level. 

So would I.

11 hours ago, rick witter said:

Why is 2nd out of reach? Rangers are shite. If Celtic win their game in hand, I don't think we can catch them, but, if they don't and we can get them at Tynecastle 3 times , well...

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why is 2nd out of reach? Rangers are shite. If Celtic win their game in hand, I don't think we can catch them, but, if they don't and we can get them at Tynecastle 3 times , well...

Their actually not shite though are they. And they have beaten us twice this season. 

Edited by rick witter

6 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Very much this. Football is a confidence game, imagine the confidence of players, management and fans if they can go on long winning and unbeaten runs. Hell, we went on that long unbeaten run last season, despite us relying on 16-year-olds to get is through it bred confidence. Problem is it doesn’t matter if you are going well, when you’ve got a trip to Glasgow around the corner and a 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 coming your way it tends to stop you in your tracks. And as you say, less fixtures against these teams makes the fixture more intense, meaning teams can have a go a little more. They don’t have to play for a draw, they can look to attack knowing it’s one fixture and move on. I don’t buy into this “it’s less exciting as there’s 10-14 teams in the middle that have nothing to play for” nonsense. If the game was shown correctly, a bigger league can be highlighted for being more than just two teams.

If you also draw them in the cup you could be facing them three times in a relatively short spell.The sense of occasion is  diluted when you play them on a regular basis.I recall when we had a bigger league everyone looked forward to the big games with eager anticipation. Unfortunately a potentially better formula will never succeed whilst greed and pandering to the bigot bothers takes precedent over what actually might be better for the game.

2 hours ago, rick witter said:

Their actually not shite though are they. And they have beaten us twice this season. 

Required cheating from the officials to win at Tynecastle though, and we were a much weakened side anyway.

Going to be a fun second half of the season. I don't think it'll be plain sailing for Rangers like their fans are expecting.

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

If you also draw them in the cup you could be facing them three times in a relatively short spell.The sense of occasion is  diluted when you play them on a regular basis.I recall when we had a bigger league everyone looked forward to the big games with eager anticipation. Unfortunately a potentially better formula will never succeed whilst greed and pandering to the bigot bothers takes precedent over what actually might be better for the game.

Absolutely this.

19 hours ago, rick witter said:

We were “slightly” weakened!? What’s with the rush to downplay our injuries?

Imagine the 85/86 team without jardine, levein, clark and robbo for 3-6 mths at the same time!

Or 98 without Weir, McPHerson, cameron and adam?

Or 2012 without rudi, beattie, Webster and Zali? (Actually we still would have beaten Hibs but you get the gist)

We lost our four best and most influential players at the same time. I can’t remember an injury crisis like it. Slightly weakened my arse.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Imagine the 85/86 team without jardine, levein, clark and robbo for 3-6 mths at the same time!

Or 2012 without rudi, beattie, Webster and Zali? (Actually we still would have beaten Hibs but you get the gist)

We lost our four best and most influential players at the same time. I can’t remember an injury crisis like it. Slightly weakened my arse.

Don’t rise to his bait. 

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Actually your post has put our recent  injury crisis in a better perspective than any one of the other posts on the topic. 

Edited by soonbe110

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Or we could use it as an almighty excuse and pretend we would still be top if we hadn’t lost the players to injury like you are. 

Its a squad game and we made an absolute arse of trying to win matches when we got players injured. 

Basically what you are saying is the first 11 are ok but the squad is shite??? 

13 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Or we could use it as an almighty excuse and pretend we would still be top if we hadn’t lost the players to injury like you are. 

Its a squad game and we made an absolute arse of trying to win matches when we got players injured. 

I don’t think you understand football 

39 minutes ago, rick witter said:

No I’m saying a club our size or a club killies size, needs its best players to have any chance of mounting a challenge. I’m pretty sure a CD of roddy macdonald and malcolm murray and a strikeforce of brian mcnaughton and ? (Colin mcadam?) wouldn’t have got near the title in 86. Ditto 98. 

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, rick witter said:

I think it’s that the players in your first eleven tend to be better than those not. Similarly some players in your first eleven are better or more important than others in your first eleven. Thus certain players getting injured has a bigger impact on the team. ?

queensferryjambo

Kilmarnock are a good side and Clarke has done a great job and I think will continue to do so.

One thing though and I am no expert on this so please bear with me it seems he inherited a lot of players and has gotten the best out of them. Lee McCulloch as I remember signed a lot of the decent players but obviously didn't get the best out of them.

Does anybody know what players Clarke has signed himself and if they have been as good as the players signed by previous managers? 

Just curious as Clarke hasn't really put a foot wrong when it comes to motivating his players and getting results but I am curious as to how good he is in the recruitment side of the job.