Kilmarnock

Rudy T

21 minutes ago, Locky said:

Would imagine Steve Clarke will be a man on the radar down south too. Forest job just become available.

He’ll become dissilusioned soon enough at not being able to hold onto any half decent players they’ve got and look to move on. I think a job with the either side of the OF will open up within the next 12 months and he’d be a nap to fill the position.

2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

He’ll become dissilusioned soon enough at not being able to hold onto any half decent players they’ve got and look to move on. I think a job with the either side of the OF will open up within the next 12 months and he’d be a nap to fill the position.

I wonder if he'd be an option if Levein ever decides to step back to just DoF.

I suspect that might not be any time soon though.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Would imagine Steve Clarke will be a man on the radar down south too. Forest job just become available.

Looks like forest are going for the ex Fulham manager, but he must be getting closer to an offer from down there

They’ll be absolutely fine with Pep Clarkiola in charge. As has been pointed out multiple times on here, losing your best players has no impact on a team’s ability to get results if they have a good manager. :whistling:

Edited by To Be Frank

It’s just one big merrygo round where failed managers jump from one job to another.

New young ambitious managers are in the lower leagues not getting a chance because 

of owners looking for a “Name”.

Agree that Clarke is the main reason behind their success, but there's not a chance they'll stay at the same level if they lose those 3 players.  See the change in our fortunes with no Berra, Naismith or Lafferty for a few months..  you can't lose that much quality from a small squad and keep your consistency.

3 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Agree that Clarke is the main reason behind their success, but there's not a chance they'll stay at the same level if they lose those 3 players.  See the change in our fortunes with no Berra, Naismith or Lafferty for a few months..  you can't lose that much quality from a small squad and keep your consistency.

That was due to our shite manager though. Clarkiola would have coped no problem without those players ??

joondalupjambo

Too early to call for me as to how it will go.  Prefer to wait to see what business Killie do in the transfer window.  Clarke could pull a few rabbits out of the hat with all his contacts.

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

With Clarke in charge he will probably find 3 sufficient replacements. Once Clarke goes it's trouble for them I reckon.

Clarke has actually identified and signed almost none of the current Killie team. You could say this shows just how good a manager he is, but it doesn't show he is particularly skilled at player acquisition. Whoever oversaw Kilmarnock's signings in er 2017 deserves a lot of credit as that was a very good window for them.

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Stewart away, Jones pre contract and now looking like Brophy potentially going! Is this the beginning of the end of their top 6 run?

Hope we are in for Stewart on a pre contract good player 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We’ve been interested since he was at Dundee, even though our chief scout let him go as a kid because he wasn’t tall enough (5’10” now) and has great ability. 

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

That was due to our shite manager though. Clarkiola would have coped no problem without those players ??

Sorry, you're right, my bad

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Ok that’s twice so I will bite, CL himself said he was struggling to find a solution to the problem. He’s had 40 years of experience and said he signed 19 players to cover for the inevitable injuries and suspensions. He tried to get Sow on loan, he will know himself that he should’ve got someone else as Teplice we’re not going to sell Vanacek. 

The league is there for the taking this season but unfortunately I think we’ve dropped too far back.

Clarke has dealt with numerous problems in a fantastic manner and deserves all the praise going, if we can’t win the league I would rather they did a Leicester wouldn’t you?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Clarke has actually identified and signed almost none of the current Killie team. You could say this shows just how good a manager he is, but it doesn't show he is particularly skilled at player acquisition. Whoever oversaw Kilmarnock's signings in er 2017 deserves a lot of credit as that was a very good window for them.

He’s signed Mulumbu, Stewart on loan etc. He’s also managed to get the best out of Eamon Brophy that Celtic/Hibs and Hamilton couldn’t. Stewart will be a huge loss though.

I would take Clarke, good manager at our level. I would not swap Levein for him though. If Levein decides he wasn’t going to be manager anymore, then I’d like to bring in Clarke. As it is however, I like our manager and don’t feel any need to roll the dice.

3 hours ago, number-16 said:

I wonder if he'd be an option if Levein ever decides to step back to just DoF.

I suspect that might not be any time soon though.

Dof position no longer exists if and when Levein steps down he will just be a board member

Wheels coming off for them now, which is unfortunate for them (and us as they always seemed to put in performances against The Rangers and Celtic). 

Wonder how they will feel about playing Jordhun Jones now? 

Shame...surely this means they will struggle to add to their impressive haul of a second round League Cup loss at home, a quarter final Scottish Cup loss at home and a non-European qualifying 5th place under Clarke...but hey at least they can celebrate “winning” the most meaningless stat in football, the calendar year record...hope they enjoyed the parade!

Sick of hearing about Killie and their “achievements”.

The Treasurer
31 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Highlights a problem with pre-contracts for teams in the same league.

Does he bust a gut and maybe help Killie to beat sevco to a Euro place or does he down tools to help his future employers.

35 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Dof position no longer exists if and when Levein steps down he will just be a board member

You may be correct but this is a quote from what she said last year.

"What I do know, is that if for whatever reason it did not work, I would certainly want him back as director of football. I think he did very well."

All in all this is actually pish whats happening to Killie, its basically 1 step forward 2 steps back and exactly why the standard of this league is just not going to improve. I do think Clarke will pull a rabbit or two out the hat again though, in the short term.

Ronald Villiers
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve been interested since he was at Dundee, even though our chief scout let him go as a kid because he wasn’t tall enough (5’10” now) and has great ability. 

Stewart would be a fantastic signing if we were able to get him.  He's a very clever player.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If we can’t win the league I would rather they did a Leicester wouldn’t you?

Not for me, I am enthusiastically petty on this. I am numb to Celtic and former Rangers winning titles. For over 30 years now I have been conditioned to feel nothing watching two teams that can’t even celebrate a title with a bus parade pass the league trophy back and forward between them in a closed contest. If this is to be broken it will require a chain of events so improbable that it is likely to be a once in a generation event at best and I have already used up at least one of my generations, perhaps two depending on how you measure it. So no if it isn’t going to be us then I don’t ever want to look at another Scottish side with envy. I have no interest in the greater good of the Scottish game unless that directly benefits us (ideally at the expense of others) and I have no desire to express faux admiration for another club should they ever manage to achieve something that I have spent much of my time on this planet dreaming about for us.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ok that’s twice so I will bite, CL himself said he was struggling to find a solution to the problem. He’s had 40 years of experience and said he signed 19 players to cover for the inevitable injuries and suspensions. He tried to get Sow on loan, he will know himself that he should’ve got someone else as Teplice we’re not going to sell Vanacek. 

The league is there for the taking this season but unfortunately I think we’ve dropped too far back.

Clarke has dealt with numerous problems in a fantastic manner and deserves all the praise going, if we can’t win the league I would rather they did a Leicester wouldn’t you?

You shouldn't have bitten Pasquale. The guy is a complete wind up merchant. You are correct though,  you just have to look at the difference he made immediately with Lee McCulloch's players. I'll bet CL wishes he could find a way to replicate his results against the OF. A good manager can overcome adversity and still get results. They can usually find other playing styles to cope rather than relying on one mythical method that always seem to require identikit players to implement it. 

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

You may be correct but this is a quote from what she said last year.

"What I do know, is that if for whatever reason it did not work, I would certainly want him back as director of football. I think he did very well."

I'd never seen that wavy if true this stinks of jobs for the boys and we will never get a decent manager to work under him when he's hanging around like a bad smell,we should be looking forward not going back to bad old ways

3 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Wheels coming off for them now, which is unfortunate for them (and us as they always seemed to put in performances against The Rangers and Celtic). 

Jordhun?

Deary me 

Certainly gives us a chance to catch up again with them.  Bit gutted for their fans, having a cracker of a season and now their teams been ripped apart. If I was Clarke, I'd be struggling to see the point in seeing this out. 

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nah, no thanks. If anyone breaks the Old Firm stranglehold I want it to be us ??

10 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Stewart away, Jones pre contract and now looking like Brophy potentially going! Is this the beginning of the end of their top 6 run?

This is why that boy's bet was daft.

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Not for me, I am enthusiastically petty on this. I am numb to Celtic and former Rangers winning titles. For over 30 years now I have been conditioned to feel nothing watching two teams that can’t even celebrate a title with a bus parade pass the league trophy back and forward between them in a closed contest. If this is to be broken it will require a chain of events so improbable that it is likely to be a once in a generation event at best and I have already used up at least one of my generations, perhaps two depending on how you measure it. So no if it isn’t going to be us then I don’t ever want to look at another Scottish side with envy. I have no interest in the greater good of the Scottish game unless that directly benefits us (ideally at the expense of others) and I have no desire to express faux admiration for another club should they ever manage to achieve something that I have spent much of my time on this planet dreaming about for us.

Outstanding post and I could not agree more. 

5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The fact Birmingham recalled him suggests he might be moving this window on a permanent I reckon

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The league is not there for the taking this year and never has been. Celtic will pull away. That they are not pulling away already is because of sheer arrogance and complacency IMO on the part of Rodgers and Lawell as they should have signed better, more experienced players with the money they've got. It's not because all the other teams suddenly got better. Ourselves and Rangers got better this season, but Hibs and Aberdeen have got worse and Killie are about the same.

As for Clarke, the real test starts now in terms of how he can cope with significant setbacks. Let's see how he copes without his best players for an extended period as we've had to. There's no doubt he's done a great job. I just don't see why that needs to be used as a stick to beat Levein with.

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

This is why that boy's bet was daft.

Indeed, I’ll be surprised if Clarke is still there by the end of February never mind half their team!

3 hours ago, VALDOS said:

All in all this is actually pish whats happening to Killie, its basically 1 step forward 2 steps back and exactly why the standard of this league is just not going to improve. I do think Clarke will pull a rabbit or two out the hat again though, in the short term.

This. Everyone poking fun and taking joy at the decimation of the Kilmarnock team fails to see the bigger picture. The league will never improve if teams that have even a whiff of improvement lose their best players (and maybe even staff) each time. Keeps them down and the gap between Celtic and the rest getting bigger, which makes the interest in the league (and any possible sponsorship etc) harder to find. A quick look at this transfer window shows that teams require competition to push each other.

4 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Shame...surely this means they will struggle to add to their impressive haul of a second round League Cup loss at home, a quarter final Scottish Cup loss at home and a non-European qualifying 5th place under Clarke...but hey at least they can celebrate “winning” the most meaningless stat in football, the calendar year record...hope they enjoyed the parade!

Sick of hearing about Killie and their “achievements”.

There's a very good chance we will be ahead of them in the league before January is out.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

This. Everyone poking fun and taking joy at the decimation of the Kilmarnock team fails to see the bigger picture. The league will never improve if teams that have even a whiff of improvement lose their best players (and maybe even staff) each time. Keeps them down and the gap between Celtic and the rest getting bigger, which makes the interest in the league (and any possible sponsorship etc) harder to find. A quick look at this transfer window shows that teams require competition to push each other.

I think it's more responding to people who use Clarke to put down Levein. Like you, I think the more competitive the league the better when it comes to closing the gap between the OF and the rest.

What's happening to Killie with a good team breaking up too soon is just a consequence of their success. It's happened to us often enough.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think it's more responding to people who use Clarke to put down Levein. Like you, I think the more competitive the league the better when it comes to closing the gap between the OF and the rest.

What's happening to Killie with a good team breaking up too soon is just a consequence of their success. It's happened to us often enough.

It’s because it’s happened to us often enough that I don’t like it when I see it elsewhere. Every team in the league would benefit from teams being better for longer sustainable periods.

56 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Nah, no thanks. If anyone breaks the Old Firm stranglehold I want it to be us ??

It was us. We're still the last team to split the OF when both OF clubs were in good shape (05/06) and the last non-OF club to very nearly beat them to the title (85/86). No other non-OF club has got as close since.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s because it’s happened to us often enough that I don’t like it when I see it elsewhere. Every team in the league would benefit from teams being better for longer sustainable periods.

I agree totally. Would love it if Killie won if we can't. I just won't be convinced Steve Clarke is the next great Scottish manager until he copes with setbacks or does the same job as well at another club. 

Those of us who remember Tommy McLean are understandably reluctant to think someone who does great things at an unfashionable non-OF club will automatically make a great Hearts manager.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I agree totally. Would love it if Killie won if we can't. I just won't be convinced Steve Clarke is the next great Scottish manager until he copes with setbacks or does the same job as well at another club. 

Those of us who remember Tommy McLean are understandably reluctant to think someone who does great things at an unfashionable non-OF club will automatically make a great Hearts manager.

Oh I remember him well. And what Clarke has done is admirable, but he’s there because he hit a plateau down south. But I do admire him, and the fact he’s a fan of the club he manages is refreshing too. But my original point is with Rangers strengthening and in doing so we see Celtic strengthening, we need to see all clubs strengthening. Like McCormack at Motherwell for example. Watching clubs lose their best players just sees the league’s potential as an actual competition decline. I want Levein to look at other clubs business and rethink his approach, not look around and be satisfied that merely a job will be done with what we have as the opposition don’t pose much of a threat. And I want every other club manager to think the same way too.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Fair enough.