Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• I P Knightley

• Mikey1874

• Jambo 4 Ever

16 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Very Well done Sir Andy Murray.

16 hours ago, jamboj said:

The guy is a proper winner. Amazing stuff. 

46th career singles title 

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Greetin again.

I'd need a bucket for my tears if I were in a similar situation to his. He must have been very low about his physical situation for a long time now, thinking he'd never make it back. Winning that must have been extremely cathartic.

• 2 months later...

Mental how Rafa, Novak and Federer are all.still 1st, 2md and 3rd in the rankings. 33, 33 and 38 years old. 

Could be like this for another few years yet as none of the players look to slowing down either 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Time to retire. 

Why are you so down on Scotlands greatest recent sportsman? Who do you actually like? 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Mental how Rafa, Novak and Federer are all.still 1st, 2md and 3rd in the rankings. 33, 33 and 38 years old. 

Could be like this for another few years yet as none of the players look to slowing down either 

The current crop of youngsters/next big things appear to have no balls, spine or mental fortitude. All gifted when things are going swimmingly but crumble like a meringue under any pressure. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Time to retire. 

um no - he is one of the best sportsmen Scotland has ever produced - still got time to recover and we all must hope he does!

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Time to retire. 

He will play for as long as he likes if he is able to get to anywhere near the standards of before he will he competitive  

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

um no - he is one of the best sportsmen Scotland has ever produced - still got time to recover and we all must hope he does!

Indeed.

I seem to recall Rafa being out for quite some time with a serious injury, and look at him now.

Nobody can doubt Murray's desire and drive to get back to the top.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed.

I seem to recall Rafa being out for quite some time with a serious injury, and look at him now.

Nobody can doubt Murray's desire and drive to get back to the top.

Thatll be the drugs making Rafa fly. 

2 hours ago, The Brow said:

The current crop of youngsters/next big things appear to have no balls, spine or mental fortitude. All gifted when things are going swimmingly but crumble like a meringue under any pressure. 

I think those three, with Murray behind them set the standard so high that the current crop of players simply wont ever reach the same standards. I reckon federer is playing about 25% below his peak and is still reaching semi finals and winning tournaments on a regular basis. 

Ridiculous standards TBH. Doubt I'll.watch watch much tennis once they retire

5 hours ago, The Brow said:

Why are you so down on Scotlands greatest recent sportsman? Who do you actually like? 

Eh? I want him to take care of himself

4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

He will play for as long as he likes if he is able to get to anywhere near the standards of before he will he competitive  

Why? I'd rather he chucked it before he cripples himself.

Andy doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, being one of the greatest ever he can retire without having to play on to please you and I.

10 hours ago, The Brow said:

Ah, I mistook the tone there! Apologies. 

Not a problem, everybody does it, here and in reality. :D Maybe I should change my tone. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

If anyone's not watch the documentary on Amazon, I can thoroughly recommend it. Amazing what he puts himself through to get back to the top. 

A Boy Named Crow
On 17/01/2020 at 19:47, AlimOzturk said:

Given the marketing pull of the top three, or at least Nadal and Federer, it’s absolutely not in the interests of anybody running tennis to call this for what it is.

Doping seems to be like the Emperor’s new clothes in tennis!

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Given the marketing pull of the top three, or at least Nadal and Federer, it’s absolutely not in the interests of anybody running tennis to call this for what it is.

To be fair, Murray's got a fair pull as well. Reckoned to have earned over $100m in sponsorships alone, on top of his $65m prize money. 

3 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Any proof on this?

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Should never have found himself in that position, but what a comeback. Especially after being broken in the final set. Great grit and flashes of the old class.

Not sure if you heard, but said he was a bit tentative early on, worried about how long the match would be. He's still making gradual steps back. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Crybaby Tosser Always moaning and crying with what most of us would just have to live with. It was embarrassing watching the retiral stuff with all the tributes for a nothing injury. He didn't even need the hip replaced Hibs and him are a perfect match.Never a match for Nadal Federer or Djocovich (forgive the spelling)

OK i agree hes not bad I suppose its just the Hibs hate coming out

6 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Crybaby Tosser Always moaning and crying with what most of us would just have to live with. It was embarrassing watching the retiral stuff with all the tributes for a nothing injury. He didn't even need the hip replaced Hibs and him are a perfect match.Never a match for Nadal Federer or Djocovich (forgive the spelling)

:vrface:

Watched it all.  Some comeback.  Gave away far too many cheap points in the first 2 sets but got stronger as the match wore on.  It would be nice if he could go deep and make the 1/4 finals but that would be tough.  Really tricky match likely in round 2 against that Canadian youngster.

Edited by Randy Marsh

He won't but it would be hilarious if he won the thing given Judy Murray said it would be a tainted title with all the call offs.

Great comeback today though.

5 hours ago, Gone said:

How many times has Edmund met Djokovic this early? So unlucky

Edit - maybe getting mixed up with Federer

It should make him a better player. 

And well done Andy! 

6 hours ago, otterjohn said:

I think anybody who can win 3 grand slams during an era many think included the two greatest of all time  is a bit more than not bad.

Ilie Nastase is considered an all time great and he won only two grand slams which were the 1972 US Open and the 1973 French Open.

Murray won the US open as well as his two Wimbledon titles.

Edited by JFK-1

39 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think anybody who can win 3 grand slams during an era many think included the two greatest of all time  is a bit more than not bad.

Ilie Nastase is considered an all time great and he won only two grand slams which were the 1972 US Open and the 1973 French Open.

2 Olympic golds anaw. I'd put his 2012 gold up there with his first Wimbledon. Importance wise. 

The London 2012 games were epic! 

Edited by ri Alban

Big Slim Stylee
9 hours ago, otterjohn said:

Pathetic

3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

not just the 3 slams but two olympic golds

Meh. Don’t like him but can’t argue he is up there with one of best UK sportsmen of all time. I mean he had to compete in the best era that tennis will likely ever see. Only got to see how the old guard is still dominating to see there is zero talent even at the Standard of Murray coming through. 

he would have won at least 10 grand slams in any other era. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

To be fair to everyone who commented on my post he has without doubt proved an exceptional talent and as someone rightly pointed out would have in a different era won more titles.I was having an I hate Hibs and everything about them moment.

I do however stand by how pathetic the whole retirement fiasco was played out.Compared to other top sportspeople his injury wasnt 

really that serious and I say that as someone who has had both knees and hips replaced.

Mind you ive never been a top sports person.

Sorry to have bugged anyone.

16 hours ago, otterjohn said:

:cornette_dog:

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, otterjohn said:

To be fair to everyone who commented on my post he has without doubt proved an exceptional talent and as someone rightly pointed out would have in a different era won more titles.I was having an I hate Hibs and everything about them moment.

I do however stand by how pathetic the whole retirement fiasco was played out.Compared to other top sportspeople his injury wasnt 

really that serious and I say that as someone who has had both knees and hips replaced.

Mind you ive never been a top sports person.

Sorry to have bugged anyone.

Don’t apologise man. 
Nowt better than some childish and completely irrational rant cos someone is a hibs tramp ☺️😉

Thanks Jack D They never used to bother me but since the trouble they tried to inflict when we were nearly not here and all the other crap recently it sets me of if I hear about anything connected with them It makes me sick to admit I supported them when Mercer wanted to take over.

Any way lesskns learned

All the Best

4 hours ago, neilnunb said:

False dawn...he's now been pumped out in straight sets.

He's timed his collapse with the vermin. Perfectly synchronised.

On 02/09/2020 at 09:25, AlimOzturk said:

Meh. Don’t like him but can’t argue he is up there with one of best UK sportsmen of all time. I mean he had to compete in the best era that tennis will likely ever see. Only got to see how the old guard is still dominating to see there is zero talent even at the Standard of Murray coming through. 

he would have won at least 10 grand slams in any other era. 

He was good but you could say that about any players who should have won more !   His miserable persona on court was offputting.  Never looked like he enjoyed playing. 

Edited by JamesM48