• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• I P Knightley

• Mikey1874

• Jambo 4 Ever

Brighton Jambo

He’s definitely grown on me over years and there is no doubt he was an outstanding tennis player.  No matter how many Brit’s win Wimbledon, if any,  over next 25 years he will be the one who broke the drought.  

My issue with him is he has always  lacked the class on court of a Federer or Nasal, and I mean that in every sense.  The snarling and barking made him a difficult player to love.  

If if you look how long those other two have gone on for it’s a real shame this injury has finished him as I think he could have had more slams in him.  

9 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Can you name 10 better? I can't but tbf I couldn't give 2 shits about tennis...maybe that explains the folk you've seen coming out with it :lol:

Can name 10 easily.

He was using performance stats, like % of second serve etc to 'prove' his argument.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can name 10 easily.

He was using performance stats, like % of second serve etc to 'prove' his argument.

That sounds like someone clutching at straws to me tbh. In fairness to Murray though, he has been one of the top 4 consistently of the last 10 years or so. Whether that's good enough against players from previous generations is a different argument

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A guid ABE, that's all that count.

A guid “has to leave this backwards principality to achieve something”, that’s all that counts. 

AlphonseCapone
On 11/01/2019 at 09:38, Victorian said:

This.  Not great for him but a bit of perspective is urgently needed.    Including him.

A relatively young mother and BBC presenter just died.     That's what I call a sad thing.

Never understand this logic. Everything is relative. There will always be worse situations and people suffering more, doesn't mean folk can't feel sad about their own situation. Should Andy Murray not feel sad about having to retire from a sport he has dedicated 20 years to because someone else died? 

1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

That sounds like someone clutching at straws to me tbh. In fairness to Murray though, he has been one of the top 4 consistently of the last 10 years or so. Whether that's good enough against players from previous generations is a different argument

Yeah he was. There's no doubting his talent and he will be remembered as one of the best but he's not in the upper echelons for me.

13 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

Put tennis back for britain and made a Scotsman burst with pride, get it right!!!  

Alba Gu Brath

Were you pissed or on crack when you typed this?

46 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Never understand this logic. Everything is relative. There will always be worse situations and people suffering more, doesn't mean folk can't feel sad about their own situation. Should Andy Murray not feel sad about having to retire from a sport he has dedicated 20 years to because someone else died? 

Of course not.     But he's an emotional basket case and should give himself a right kick up the arse.      

It's bitterly disappointing for him but take it like a man FFS.     

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Of course not.     But he's an emotional basket case and should give himself a right kick up the arse.      

What a load of bollocks ?

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

How does a man take it? 

50 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

How does a man take it? 

With a bit of dignity and consideration for what this actually is.     He's going to stop playing tennis a few years early.     I'll save my real sympathy for people who have much more fundamenal problems / tragedies.     He's had plenty of time to prepare for this eventuality.

He was a magnificent player and I used to love watching him.     But I'm sorry but I think he's handled it badly and will appear out of touch with some people.    I can understand it of course because lots of top athletes are absolutely self interested.     They have to be.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

With a bit of dignity and consideration for what this actually is.     He's going to stop playing tennis a few years early.     I'll save my real sympathy for people who have much more fundamenal problems / tragedies.     He's had plenty of time to prepare for this eventuality.

He was a magnificent player and I used to love watching him.     But I'm sorry but I think he's handled it badly and will appear out of touch with some people.    I can understand it of course because lots of top athletes are absolutely self interested.     They have to be.

That's a pretty good post. 

21 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

A guid “has to leave this backwards principality to achieve something”, that’s all that counts. 

Our Catalonian brothers and sisters took  real guid care of him. 

I didn't realise he was Welsh.

And Just remember whose Royalty really owns this place. Scotland's kingdom is unbroken for over 1000 years. England's vanished in 1603. :wink:

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
On 11/01/2019 at 02:41, Rousset1 said:

I read that he is in pain just putting on his socks and shoes.

Grim.

I'd suggest buying new shoes and socks.

On 12/01/2019 at 06:35, Brighton Jambo said:

He’s definitely grown on me over years and there is no doubt he was an outstanding tennis player.  No matter how many Brit’s win Wimbledon, if any,  over next 25 years he will be the one who broke the drought.  

My issue with him is he has always  lacked the class on court of a Federer or Nasal, and I mean that in every sense.  The snarling and barking made him a difficult player to love.  

If if you look how long those other two have gone on for it’s a real shame this injury has finished him as I think he could have had more slams in him.  

Yeah his on court demeanor left a lot to be desired. Grumpy, miserable and painful to watch. Yes Fed and Rafa completely the opposite. I like him off court though especially his sardonic humour and his sticking up for equality etc. 

6 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Judy will be gutted as her opportunities to get into the limelight will lessen now. 

She is hugely successful in her own right.

Not directed at you but there are some right bitter arseholes on this thread.

11 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

She is hugely successful in her own right.

Not directed at you but there are some right bitter arseholes on this thread.

Yes very true. A great force behind Andy. They seem to have a very loving relationship

rudi must stay
On 11/01/2019 at 05:09, jambo1998 said:

One of our greatest ever sportsman, he gave us some wonderful memories. Shame for his career to end this way. 

Absolutely, he's one of Scotland's greatest ever sportsman. Like everyone on this thread I have  enjoyed watching him through the years, I watched him destroy Federer in Cincinnati at 17 on YouTube and realised there and then he was abit good and worth backing and he certainly has been.

As for his decision, very sensible from Andy. I was worried he'd carry on and there'd be a few embarrassing defeats. That's what happens in sport, you don't get any sympathy and Murray will have had that in his mind

On 12/01/2019 at 19:32, Victorian said:

Like our manager, Craig Levein did when he had to retire early.........

I P Knightley

Who would be Roberto Batista-Agut today; the man tasked with shooting the puppy in the face? The crowd is about 95% behind Murray, cheering with RB-A makes a mistake and the mildest of mild applause when he plays a damn fine shot. I think that even the line judges are in on it.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:32, Victorian said:

Sorry I don't agree with this.

I'm not sure you can restrict your empathy to the worst possible cases in the world.

He is clearly upset by it, and that is enough for me to feel for him, or are we only to feel sorry for people who are not wealthy?

Should all life's many  travails only be viewed through that skewed prism?

On 12/01/2019 at 19:32, Victorian said:

He has been extremely dignified about it all - there’s nothing undignified about a man letting his emotions show. “Take it like a man” and “man up” and all that are such awful toxic ideas. 

On 12/01/2019 at 13:11, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah he was. There's no doubting his talent and he will be remembered as one of the best but he's not in the upper echelons for me.

Yeah hes certainly not. But 3 grand slams as a Brit is impressive but he could never compete with the big guys. Beat them now and then but thats about it.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

He is clearly upset by it, and that is enough for me to feel for him, or are we only to feel sorry for people who are not wealthy?

Well put.

Some of us have followed Murray closely for 14 years or so; been frustrated by him and been delighted by him in equal measures; by and large wishing him well and hoping for the best for him. Having two young lads who have played a fair bit of tennis, I'm delighted that they've had Murray as a role model for dedication and professionalism. So, in an odd way, he's been a part of our lives for all that time.

Other people have other reasons to be able to feel something for him.

It's easy to understand why announcing that he's having to quit is such a wrench for him - he's not measuring his achievements in $ or £.

And I also fully agree with Redm's points about using the phrase "man up" etc. Probably uttered by low to mid achievers who'd give up long before reaching even a half of the success or achievements that Murray has dedicated himself to over the years.

By the by, there's a tennis match on here which, regardless of the circumstances and backstory has become one of the finest matches I've watched in a long time. Great play by both men and it looks as though Murray's just about to come back from two sets down to take it to a fifth. (I'll miss making these mid-match statements only for Murray to confound me by dragging defeat from the jaws of success).

Regardless of final result it's a magnificent effort. What a warrior . Wish more Scottish sportsmen and women had his determination and will to win. 

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Oh Murray just comeback from 2 sets down, shows the desire is still there even if physically maybe not so much.

There's a certain class, muscle memory and ability that could see him through against all but the top players. He's had it tough being drawn against a top 20 player in round one and 4-5 hours on court will be murder for him tomorrow.

Early break against him, though. Let's see whether he's got enough in the tank to come back.

I’m about to get all undignified, emotional and unmanly myself. If this does end up being his last match he’s going out in some style. Unbelievable. He’s so bloody good. ?

Male suicide at record levels .  Have a word with yourselves...The ones who criticised him for being open and not " manning up". Need more men like him . 

Seymour M Hersh

Okay he's out and possibly his career has ended today but what a hell of a fight he put up. Scottish and British sporting hero. 

On 12/01/2019 at 13:11, hmfc_liam06 said:

But someone who made more of his talent than most.

Despite a series of injuries or more accurately body malfunctions. Serious ankle and knee problems, and then the hip. 

On pure talent no where near the big 3. But beat them regularly enough. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Very true; particulary considering the mental health issues that men seem to face. 

The thing with with emotions is they’re not rational. They are something you feel and the best way of actionally rationalising them is to speak about them.

I find it strange that people want chastise Murray for showing emotion and the furore it’s created. The guy spoke open and honestly, which for me is to be commended. The media coverage that follows those words are nothing to do with him. 

If the reaction annoys you, your anger should maybe focused on press or social media. However, Andy Murray wasn’t there telling people to feel sorry for him or claiming it’s the end of the world. He was just couldn’t hide how giving up his life’s passion made him feel. The fact he couldn’t control his emotions shows how much he cares.

I find people who seem to think because people have money they don’t have problems, some of the most bitter, undeducated and unempathitic people I have the misfortune to meet.

Oh Murray just comeback from 2 sets down, shows the desire is still there even if physically maybe not so much.

He's mostly very calm and articulate. (Off the court)

Edited by Mikey1874

I P Knightley

Strange interview with Petchey at the end there. Murray sounding doubtful that he was actually retiring before they showed him the montage and then, after that, saying that he'd do his very best to be back again.

The montage was as you'd expect with respect from Djoko and Nadal and with Federer struggling to sound sincere. I don't doubt Wozniacki's offer to go and coach her; as I wrote earlier, whoever gets him as a coach will be a lucky lad or ladette.

This is probably the best way for him to bow out.

I'd rather see him end on this relative high note of glorious failure than see him lying in a crumpled heap at Wimbledon having to withdraw or getting injured mid match or whatever.

I don't think anyone would think any less of him bowing out on this note.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:35, Brighton Jambo said:

Do you like any footballers then?  as they all do that on the pitch

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:55, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

He's a hibs *****. Tennis is shite, too. 

so why did you read this thread?

Let him go away and have this operation and if he is able to come back for Wimbledon im sure the tournament committee will manage to get him a nice 1st Round match against a qualifier. 

He can then retire.

5 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Let him go away and have this operation and if he is able to come back for Wimbledon im sure the tournament committee will manage to get him a nice 1st Round match against a qualifier. 

He can then retire.

After watching today’s game I think I would rather he didn’t play at Wimbledon. The send off he got in Australia from the fans there is much more genuine than the one he would get at Wimbledon. His best ever support at Wimbledon was when he played in the Olympics and it wasn’t the stuffiness that Wimbledon has. 

Today was his career symbolised in 3-4 hours. Amazing moments and a what if ending. 

I doubt many people 15 years ago would have ever thought Scotland would produce  a 3 time Major winner, on top of that has played in the Final at all 4 majors. First man to win two Olympic golds, a Davis cup performance that may never be bettered, won the year end finals and been world number 1 in an era where 3 men will retire at some point and be 1st 2nd and 3rd most successful male tennis players ever. 

He really had has dragged British Tennis into the 21st century.

Hopefully Jamie can continue to bring success to the Murray Family and if Andy does ever get himself fit to compete again then a season at doubles with his brother would certainly bring some more trophies. 

A guy who live through and was very close to our countries worst ever tragedy goes on and becomes our greatest ever sportsman. An inspiration to a nation. 

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

After watching today’s game I think I would rather he didn’t play at Wimbledon. The send off he got in Australia from the fans there is much more genuine than the one he would get at Wimbledon. His best ever support at Wimbledon was when he played in the Olympics and it wasn’t the stuffiness that Wimbledon has. 

Today was his career symbolised in 3-4 hours. Amazing moments and a what if ending. 

I doubt many people 15 years ago would have ever thought Scotland would produce  a 3 time Major winner, on top of that has played in the Final at all 4 majors. First man to win two Olympic golds, a Davis cup performance that may never be bettered, won the year end finals and been world number 1 in an era where 3 men will retire at some point and be 1st 2nd and 3rd most successful male tennis players ever. 

He really had has dragged British Tennis into the 21st century.

Hopefully Jamie can continue to bring success to the Murray Family and if Andy does ever get himself fit to compete again then a season at doubles with his brother would certainly bring some more trophies. 

A guy who live through and was very close to our countries worst ever tragedy goes on and becomes our greatest ever sportsman. An inspiration to a nation. 

Agree with that I don’t think he’s liked very much in England anyway. He’d get over the top sickening type praise that would feel false imo when millions of ordinary English can’t stand him since his legendary comment about wanting their football team ****ed every single time they play. 

Legend in my eyes for actually saying that too :lol:  amount of lily livered so called Scots who go down there and pretend they want England to do well sickens me. Get it right roond the *****. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Best Scottish player ever , British, the world,  the guy toiled to the press, aww speaking 

to arseholes, my take, hope he loves his millions , as for hibs who gives a feck  

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Agree with that I don’t think he’s liked very much in England anyway. He’d get over the top sickening type praise that would feel false imo when millions of ordinary English can’t stand him since his legendary comment about wanting their football team ****ed every single time they play. 

Legend in my eyes for actually saying that too :lol:  amount of lily livered so called Scots who go down there and pretend they want England to do well sickens me. Get it right roond the *****. 

I heard Andy explain the ABE comment. A smart arse journalist asked him where he'll be watching the Scotland games at the World cup. Haha he thought, how funny making fun of us not qualifying. So Andy Replied "I'll be supporting every team England plays" Could they take a joke , could they feck. They slaughtered him and made it out he hates the English. Hates them that much he married one and employed his whole coaching team from there.

The English press are a bunch of c*"ts.