• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• I P Knightley

• Mikey1874

• Jambo 4 Ever

Sad news indeed, but not unexpected. It was a privilege to watch him at his peak. Put tennis back on the map in Britain and made many a Scotsman burst with pride. Hopefully we'll benefit from his legacy and we won't need to wait 70 odd years for the next one.

Unfortunately, tennis tournaments will be boring again.

4 minutes ago, JyTees said:

Sad news indeed, but not unexpected. It was a privilege to watch him at his peak. Put tennis back on the map in Britain and made many a Scotsman burst with pride. Hopefully we'll benefit from his legacy and we won't need to wait 70 odd years for the next one.

Unfortunately, tennis tournaments will be boring again.

Its not often I agree with anything you say? but I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just a wee bit sad tonight that probably the greatest Scottish sportsperson has had to retire like this.

He should just pull out of every tournament from now until Wimbledon and make sure he has the chance of saying thanks and goodbye there.

4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Its not often I agree with anything you say? but I wholeheartedly agree. I'm just a wee bit sad tonight that probably the greatest Scottish sportsperson has had to retire like this.

He should just pull out of every tournament from now until Wimbledon and make sure he has the chance of saying thanks and goodbye there.

Pretty sure KB will for once be in almost unanimous agreement on this. ?? (There'll be the odd Hibs expletive post). It's a real shame he's had to endure the last couple of years and it's even worse it appears to have been for nothing. Gives you an idea of what he put his body through to get to where he got.

Gutted for him. Sad way to bow out.

Brilliant career Andy, now go and enjoy your family life.

Good luck and all the best!!!

Cheers :beer:

Wimbledon will be shite now.

Shame for him. 

A legend without a doubt.

What he’s achieved while being up against the top 3 players of all time, all at their peak, is quite incredible. Shows how good he was. 

Seymour M Hersh

It's been pretty clear for a while he'll not get back to his best. A shame but i'm sure the BBC will give him a massive contract to work for them for 2 weeks a year so it's unlikely he'll starve or go without. 

I wish I could've retire from work @ the age of 31 because of my injuries. Sadly, unlike Andy, I'm not a multimillionaire. My heart bleeds for him.

Edited by ri Alban

15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Sometimes you've just got to say enough's enough, & listen to your body.

We've all suffered from it. Personally, I'd not like him to compete at Wimbledon & run the risk of longer term damage, & a potentially embarrassing defeat by someone. 

I get that he'd like to say goodbye professional pride, etc. But I'm sure the All England Club & the BBC, could come up with a way to do that, without him having to hurt himself for it.

Enjoyed watching him. The, histrionics & the highlights.

:spoton:

I'm absolutely gutted. He is surely Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson.

I look forward to his personality coming out even more as a pundit for BBC tennis - he is genuinely hilarious, but so many people have given him undue stick for not showing that side pre and post-match.

This reminds me of when Levein had a press conference to announce he was retiring from playing due to injuries.

Not a huge fan Andy Murray, but I have massive respect for what he has achieved.

Scotland isn’t exactly bursting with top class sportsmen right now so pretty gutting to hear this.

Good luck to the lad with whatever he chooses to do in life after this.

Thunderstruck

Better to go out at the top than fade away. 

Hopefully, his example/legacy will be another generation of top class British Tennis players. 

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I wish I could've retire from work @ the age of 31 because of my injuries. Sadly, unlike Andy, I'm not a multimillionaire. My heart bleeds for him.

It's shite when other folk make a pot of cash on the back of their talent, dedication, and hard work, isn't it.

If only we could all be multi-millionaires posting guff on the internet.

40 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Hibs *****. 

This.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I think this has been inevitable for a long time now.

Amazing to think that he was a handful of sets away from winning absolutely everything worth winning in the game. Phenomenal career.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Sad but unfortunately has been coming

what he’s achieved has been incredible, first brit in donkeys to win a Grand slam and he won 3 as well as two olympics and occupied the No 1 spot for a good while too. He also took the Davis cup very seriously and I think he has had a saying legacy on tennis in scotland and Britain.

He is a true competitor and will wish he had won more but a combination of his injuries and being around the same time as Fed, Rafa and Djokovic means that what he has won and the finals he has reached has been phenomenal. Imagine what he would have won if he had been around the first 5 years of the “norties” 

a world class sportsman who has achieved the top accolades in his sport and he has made himself a good fortune along the way. He can retire a very proud man

Gutted for him.

He’s provided some amount of excitement and angst over the years and it’s such a shame for his game incredible career to be cut short.

Real shame, particularly when you consider the longevity of Federer and Nadal. Murray looks after himself so he would probably have a career of comparable length if he didn't have the injury problems.

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Sometimes you've just got to say enough's enough, & listen to your body.

We've all suffered from it. Personally, I'd not like him to compete at Wimbledon & run the risk of longer term damage, & a potentially embarrassing defeat by someone. 

I get that he'd like to say goodbye professional pride, etc. But I'm sure the All England Club & the BBC, could come up with a way to do that, without him having to hurt himself for it.

Enjoyed watching him. The, histrionics & the highlights.

By the sound of it he will likely retire next week.

You can't go on if the pain is too much. Possibly just too hard to give up after being focussed on it for so long but it's sensible to stop. Might help the reaction he gets supporting him after today. 

That other operation should hopefully help him play or coach at some level if he wants. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Here you go bud

474D25F1-CEE4-4BA8-8A5E-969B701F82C8.jpeg

:D

Edited by iantjambo

At least we don't have to listen to his monotone, hang yourself from the nearest building interviews from now on.

Cheer up FFS you miserable tone faced ring piece!!

Sexton Hardcastle

If you read twitter you would have thought he was living his last days. Shite ending for the kid but pretty dramatic from everyone. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Shame. :(

Can go back to not giving a **** about tennis now I suppose. 

I’ve never quite got how so many people apparently get so pant-wettingly excited about about an individual sport otherwise uninteresting to them, simple because one of the top players is a specific nationality. 

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It's been pretty clear for a while he'll not get back to his best. A shame but i'm sure the BBC will give him a massive contract to work for them for 2 weeks a year so it's unlikely he'll starve or go without. 

Any money he would get from something like that would be a rounding error compared to his career earnings, sponsorship and what he’ll make from other activities afterwards.

All those bitterly bleating about how much money he’s got just don’t get it. He’d give up every penny just to play competitive tennis again. Gutted for the guy.

23 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

At least we don't have to listen to his monotone, hang yourself from the nearest building interviews from now on.

Cheer up FFS you miserable tone faced ring piece!!

As is said millions of times he isnt miserable its his voice ffs and he cant change it. He is regarded as a lovely funny guy and you can see that in commentary from people who know him.

Good luck to him he sacrificed alot and worked his arse off and deserves to leave a legacy.  

And for earnings, if you consider what he puts himself through, against a professional footballer for example, then i dont see how people can deny he doesnt deserve to earn a shitload of money.

Edited by Jamboelite

18Jambo_dave74

Been an absolute pleasure watching him throughout his career. Such a shame that it's had to end this way - had hoped he would have many years left of playing. 

Unbelievable to see such a normal Scottish bloke taking on and competing with some of the greatest players ever to pick up a tennis racket. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

As is said millions of times he isnt miserable its his voice ffs and he cant change it. He is regarded as a lovely funny guy and you can see that in commentary from people who know him.

Good luck to him he sacrificed alot and worked his arse off and deserves to leave a legacy.  

And for earnings, if you consider what he puts himself through against a professional footballer for example who earns more then i dont see how people can deny he doesnt deserve to earn a shitload of money.

Good post particularly the last paragraph.

27 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

If you read twitter you would have thought he was living his last days. Shite ending for the kid but pretty dramatic from everyone. 

This.  Not great for him but a bit of perspective is urgently needed.    Including him.

A relatively young mother and BBC presenter just died.     That's what I call a sad thing.

jack D and coke

Scotland’s greatest ever sportsman for me. It was crazy even for a short time a Scotsman being the best tennis player in the world. 

The hibs chat is embarrassing. Honestly **** off :lol: imagine living your life thinking that’s good banter. 

:cornette:

34 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I’ve never quite got how so many people apparently get so pant-wettingly excited about about an individual sport otherwise uninteresting to them, simple because one of the top players is a specific nationality. 

I don't mind tennis, I've just never been that bothered about watching other people playing it until a fellow countryman came along who I could 'support'. I don't care who wins among all the other players.

Great tennis player who broke his body to reach the top. 

Never forget the period in which he was the best in the world. 

Any other era he would have dominated with just his talent. 

I couldn't give a **** about Andy Murray and I only follow him in the latter stages of Wimbledon BUT watching that press conference is heartbreaking (now I know in the grand scheme of the world then he's still very lucky) ... he's worked to get to this level since he was a very young boy, it's been his life since day 1 as well as his family and now he's having to give that up.

Well done on a great career and he's got to be delighted to know he's inspired future generations and will continue to do so.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That is really, really pathetic.

For a time he was the best in the world, through sheer effort.

A massive achievement - and a HUGE boon for our country.

Yet you dig at him?

Fine tennis player but the emotional incontinence is getting a bit tiresome; could fill a loch with all those tears. 

Placid Casual

Sad news, but not unexpected. Gutted for him. Andy Murray has given many memorable edge-of-the-seat moments. Such a talent, and a great bloke too.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

That other operation should hopefully help him play or coach at some level if he wants. 

Anyone would be lucky to have him as a coach. He's such a student of the game, he would make a huge difference. He's already taken the GB Davis Cup juniors under his arm; Kyle Edmund wouldn't be where is if it weren't for the support of Andy Murray - not just during DC matches but since he was breaking through and getting taken to Murray's training camp and having Murray at the end of the phone line whenever he needed. However, I'd be surprised in Murray fell into a coaching role straight away. I'd like to think he'd take a bit of time off.

I'd be interested to see how he got on as a TV pundit. I'm sure the BBC will try to get him in beside the Tiger, maybe dropping the Central African Republican diplomat fella. I'd hate to think that he ended up on Amazon Prime with the odious Catherine Whittaker but they might just open the vaults to make a big name signing for their first full season with the ATP Tour.

It's no surprise that he won't see the year out; the sensible thing to do would be to hang up his racquet now. He's more or less admitted that he won't be competitive at the Aussie - plus he's got a bit if a nasty first round match. Best wishes to the Hibby ****.

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Scotland’s greatest ever sportsman for me. It was crazy even for a short time a Scotsman being the best tennis player in the world. 

The hibs chat is embarrassing. Honestly **** off :lol: imagine living your life thinking that’s good banter. 

:cornette:

:cornette: indeed. 

Francis Albert

Great player who has shown great determination and character in an era when there were four men players of all time great quality. All sports careers tend to end in disappointment (a freak like Federer is the exception) and it will at least be good not to see a long and painful decline. The physically and emotionally draining  way he played meant he was never likely to play to a much older age than 31.

Have also enjoyed his dry wit (much more Chic Murray than Billy Connolly). It took a long time for his image down here to recover from  his "whoever England is playing" answer to who he'd be supporting in the World Cup - the English can be very sensitive about that sort of thing. And his quiet two word answer to a question from an American reporter about an American reaching the Wimbledon semi-final being the first for so many tears ( "Male player" ) showed timing worthy of some of his play on court

Edited by Francis Albert

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Shrekeo said:

Any money he would get from something like that would be a rounding error compared to his career earnings, sponsorship and what he’ll make from other activities afterwards.

All those bitterly bleating about how much money he’s got just don’t get it. He’d give up every penny just to play competitive tennis again. Gutted for the guy.

Maybe not all of it. He's got a wife and kid remember.