Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

Tazio

As I'm getting near to the end of my holidays just enjoying a nice relaxing afternoon with just me and my turntable and dredging through old albums. Found my copy of this and realised I haven't listened to it in years. 

Jesus Christ what a piece of work!! I'm by no means a Floyd fan but this album must have been a total game changer when it first came out. From the first note the entire thing sounds like nothing else, in terms of arrangement, production, use of sound effects. Oddly Money, maybe the best known track, is the one that jars a little to me as it feels very much like a "song" as opposed to the way the rest of the album just flows together.

It’s brilliant. They performed it at the Usher Hall shortly after it was released. The gig sold out within a couple of hours - usual thing. Two of my friends at school said they were going along anyway to try and sneak in. I laughed at them.

****ers got in.

38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

As I'm getting near to the end of my holidays just enjoying a nice relaxing afternoon with just me and my turntable and dredging through old albums. Found my copy of this and realised I haven't listened to it in years. 

Jesus Christ what a piece of work!! I'm by no means a Floyd fan but this album must have been a total game changer when it first came out. From the first note the entire thing sounds like nothing else, in terms of arrangement, production, use of sound effects. Oddly Money, maybe the best known track, is the one that jars a little to me as it feels very much like a "song" as opposed to the way the rest of the album just flows together.

It is still an outrageously good piece of work. Everything they'd been doing for the last five years or so just came together beautifully. I'd argue nothing that followed it came close (although I do love some of the later stuff).

Still sounds lovely played on a decent record player too.

Edited by Craig_

Always loved it, and yes a good vinyl copy on a good deck is the way to go. But for CD listeners the 2003 re-master is excellent, (also remixed) and the 2011 re-master might be the best "modern" copy. Whatever way you go it's just sublime. 

Only time cannabis ever really did anything  for me was listening to this in the dark on my bed.

A long time ago, I hasten to add.

Went to Dynamic Earth last year during festival. They played the album and projected stuff on to the planetarium thing. Was awesome

Seymour M Hersh

Saw it performed live at the Usher Hall back in the mid 70's. Incredible and just like listening to the album. Also four of us naughty schoolboys from Heriots snuck in to watch their sound check when we were at lunch. Couldn't do that nowadays with all the security.

It's a magnificent piece of work. Saw Roger Waters in Glasgow last summer. Probably the best gig I've seen in the flesh 

Gilmour is a monumental talent though 

Edited by Jim Weir

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Its a great album but if i had to choose i prefer wish you were here.

Absolutely brilliant though and still ages well.

Wish You Were Here probably has better songs but as an album that was pretty much one piece of music it was amazing.

4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Thread hijack

Great album but not as good as "Animals"

Sheep quite possibly my favourite Floyd track. Tend to agree with Taz on the album though.

chester copperpot

Dark side of the moon actually changed my life music wise.

Agree with Taz tho, Wish you were here is a better album for me. 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Echoes would have to be my favourite song, but as an album nothing comes close to DSotM for me.

Meddle takes me through the full range of emotions. As does Animals. 

A few months back I was driving down to the Western to pick up my wee brother after his last round of chemo. As I came down the hill at Craighouse Road with the Forth bathed in sunlight before me the guitar solo at about 3 and a half minutes in to Dogs kicked in. I had to pull the car over to the side and, ahem, collect myself, before continuing the journey. Wonderful stuff.

13 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Thread hijack

Great album but not as good as "Animals"

I could never really get into Animals - I loved Meddle and Wish You Were Here though. 

Dark Side of the Moon is a truly great album. The first time I heard it was when I was 15 and under the influence of some, ahem, psychedelics. That was a good evening.

I love the last two Waters PF albums as well. I know folk think The Wall and The Final Cut are really Waters solo album's but I love em

Big Slim Stylee
23 hours ago, Craig_ said:

It is still an outrageously good piece of work. Everything they'd been doing for the last five years or so just came together beautifully. I'd argue nothing that followed it came close (although I do love some of the later stuff).

Still sounds lovely played on a decent record player too.

I know it’s sacrilege but I’ve always preferred Wish You Were Here. ?

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Obscured by Clouds is a great lost PF album. Gives a good idea of where they were heading prior to DSotM. 

Childhood's End is classic Gilmour.

Love it!