Shut ins-CH4

Herbert.

Is anyone watching this?

Its disgusting that people can get so fat and cost the NHS thousands just to keep them living in bed filling their faces.

Салатные палочки

See the young lass at the start eating a big dirty pile of Chinese and a full cheesecake 

:wow:

That woman's two daughters are headed the same way. Hard to believe she is only 19!! 

But it's never their fault. 

I think the mum has made the daughters that way, I feel sorry for them being worried what they will do once the mum has lost weight and doesn't need them. The mum is a fat bitch that's not only ruined her life but her daughters. If she wanted to loose weight she wouldn't eat as much shit and do some chair exercises.

There was a really quite disturbing documentary on TV a while back about the worlds fattest ( or one of the worlds fattest) teenagers. Think he was called Billy? He weighed 500 pounds plus and was pretty much house bound. He sat in his bed playing X box all day eating enormous amounts of food whist his mum slowly fed him to his death. What he wanted he got. He was completely spoiled but the disturbing thing was the role his mum played in the whole sorry story. 

She was his servant doing everything for him. She thought she was helping him but it was her who was slowly killing him.She just couldn't see it.

The Royal College of Physicians are, incrementally, trying to medicalise it.

The president chucked out a statement about societal factors/genetics and so on and so forth - factors outside the control of the person.

Bar an incredibly tiny minority, it is utterly within the control of someone to lose weight.

If you eat and exercise like a 10 stone person, you will be 10 stone.

If you eat and exercise like a 20 stone person, you will be 20 stone

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

There was a really quite disturbing documentary on TV a while back about the worlds fattest ( or one of the worlds fattest) teenagers. Think he was called Billy? He weighed 500 pounds plus and was pretty much house bound. He sat in his bed playing X box all day eating enormous amounts of food whist his mum slowly fed him to his death. What he wanted he got. He was completely spoiled but the disturbing thing was the role his mum played in the whole sorry story. 

She was his servant doing everything for him. She thought she was helping him but it was her who was slowly killing him.She just couldn't see it.

Was he American?  I think I have seen him.  There was a series about him once on one of the lifestyle channels.  One where his Xbox controller broke or the Wi-Fi was down and he was a blubbering mess.  His mum went shopping for him every day and when she got back fired four microwave cheeseburgers in for him.  

24 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The president chucked out a statement about societal factors/genetics and so on and so forth - factors outside the control of the person.

Bar an incredibly tiny minority, it is utterly within the control of someone to lose weight.

True but there are also strong psychological factors at play as well which can’t be ignored by the medical community. 

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

True but there are also strong psychological factors at play as well which can’t be ignored by the medical community. 

Nobody is ignoring it.

Of course there are strong psychological factors - sickness behaviour/ reward behaviour and so on.

The issue I have is the unseemly rush to turn everything into a medical condition, and thus shift responsibility from the individual

"I'm not well" so " you have to give me something"

cure their over eating with a tablet/pill/operation.

The answers to problems are usually simple.........

Stop ALL kids leaving school grounds - with healthy calorie restricted school meals being compulsory- no packed lunches / snacks etc

Mandatory "morning mile" runs for the kids ( disabilities not withstanding!)

Whack tax up on food and ringfence it to make all council sports facilities and sports clubs FREE to use

26 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Nobody is ignoring it.

Of course there are strong psychological factors - sickness behaviour/ reward behaviour and so on.

The issue I have is the unseemly rush to turn everything into a medical condition, and thus shift responsibility from the individual

Stop ALL kids leaving school grounds - with healthy calorie restricted school meals being compulsory- no packed lunches / snacks etc

Whack tax up on food and ringfence it to make all council sports facilities and sports clubs FREE to use

Certainly some good ideas there though you will hit problems with the more libertarian politicions who would see that as state meddling. 

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Certainly some good ideas there though you will hit problems with the more libertarian politicions who would see that as state meddling. 

libertarian and politician are two words that are a juxtaposition

you cannot be both IMHO.

I digress, however.

I would see it as preventative health measures to reduce future NHS spending.

52 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Nobody is ignoring it.

0620AE4C-6B84-4F8D-822D-63DBE698D05A.jpeg

3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Was he American?  I think I have seen him.  There was a series about him once on one of the lifestyle channels.  One where his Xbox controller broke or the Wi-Fi was down and he was a blubbering mess.  His mum went shopping for him every day and when she got back fired four microwave cheeseburgers in for him.  

That's the one.

She had him on 8 thousand calories a day!!

36 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

That's the one.

Lightweight. Brian Shaw eats 50% more

He's also 6 ft 8 in and trains insanely hard.

Edited by Stokesy

38 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

That's the one.

That's about the same as a bike rider consumes during the Tour de France. I don't see any fatties there.

8 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Basically this. However often I am presented with evidence which would suggest some people are just immune to gaining weight and others.more prone to it. 

Got a pal who scoffs like a pig, drinks alchohol by the barrel load and doesn't excercise that much yet looks like a 100m sprinter.  If I did what he did I would be obese within 3 months. 

Always thought it would catch up with him but he's been doing it since we were kids and now we are approaching 30 he hadn't changed ? lucky ******* I suppose. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Basically this. However often I am presented with evidence which would suggest some people are just immune to gaining weight and others.more prone to it. 

Got a pal who scoffs like a pig, drinks alchohol by the barrel load and doesn't excercise that much yet looks like a 100m sprinter.  If I did what he did I would be obese within 3 months. 

Always thought it would catch up with him but he's been doing it since we were kids and now we are approaching 30 he hadn't changed ? lucky ******* I suppose. 

It's a lot more complex than the doctor has claimed :laugh:

Height plays a big factor in it, one of my mates is like yours. His insides must be horrendous to be fair. I'm shorter so putting on any weight is noticeable right away really. 

29 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Height plays a big factor in it, one of my mates is like yours. His insides must be horrendous to be fair. I'm shorter so putting on any weight is noticeable right away really. 

There's obviously going to be some individual variation but the basic principle of calories in Vs calories out is going to be true for the most part. If you want to lose fat monitor what you eat on a daily basis and make adjustments as you go.

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

There's obviously going to be some individual variation but the basic principle of calories in Vs calories out is going to be true for the most part. If you want to lose fat monitor what you eat on a daily basis and make adjustments as you go.

Oh aye for the most part the basic maths of it is sound. But there is a lot of psychological and biological factors mixed in there too.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Lightweight. Brian Shaw eats 50% more

He's also 6 ft 8 in and trains insanely hard.

His shites must weigh about a stone

Genetics has a massive part to play in all this. We can all control our weight upwards and downwards by what we eat exercise and lifestyle habits however our genetic code from parents and grand parents does affect how we and our offspring turn out. What we do with this is up to us. Do we conform to genetics and say "I will be a fat *****" because my parents are "fat *****"? Or will I break that code and live a healthy lifestyle?

Choices folks choices.

10 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Nobody is ignoring it.

Agree especially the ban on kids leaving school premises at lunch time. Would have, imo, a massive impact with minimal cost (except for the fast food premises that thrive on the kids business). I work in a small town and at 1pm the centre is of kids/locusts swarming around Gregg's and subway and even home bargains to stock up on sweets and processed crap.

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The state already meddles ie minimum alcohol prices and smoking bans (which I agree with). Obseity is a massive (pun intended) crisis and therefore radical action is needed. Higher prices will just the poorest

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

The state already meddles ie minimum alcohol prices and smoking bans (which I agree with). Obseity is a massive (pun intended) crisis and therefore radical action is needed. Higher prices will just the poorest

You could argue that a state ( tax ) funded healthcare system should be more interventionist in preventing illness. Private health care providers probably wouldn’t cover them at all or at an exorbitant cost. 

11 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Oh aye for the most part the basic maths of it is sound. But there is a lot of psychological and biological factors mixed in there too.

12 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It really isn't.

AS you are shorter - you should be lighter, so you should eat less.

The difficulty is standardised portions

A Whopper meal with fries is the same size for someone 6ft 5 as it is for someone 4 ft 3..

As are bags of crisps/ chocolate bars/ slices of toast or ham sandwiches and so on

BMI takes your height into consideration

Average calorie recommendations are based on "average"- 5'10 male.

If you cannot keep you weight within target- you are eating too much.

"but what about athletes/ muscle is denser than fat" - most people who use that argument are not athletes- quite the opposite

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It really isn't.

A Whopper meal with fries is the same size for someone 6ft 5 as it is for someone 4 ft 3..

As are bags of crisps/ chocolate bars/ slices of toast or ham sandwiches and so on

"but what about athletes/ muscle is denser than fat" - most people who use that argument are not athletes- quite the opposite

BMI is a load of pish it should be banished. For my height its 54kg to 74kg to be healthy, Im broad and stocky so if I was 11 stone I would look unhealthy and malnourished. At my fittest doing half marathons and going to the gym 4 times a week I was still classed as overweight to obese, That's not good for people with issues about weight who base health off a number. 

15 minutes ago, Herbert said:

BMI is a load of pish it should be banished. For my height its 54kg to 74kg to be healthy, Im broad and stocky so if I was 11 stone I would look unhealthy and malnourished. At my fittest doing half marathons and going to the gym 4 times a week I was still classed as overweight to obese, That's not good for people with issues about weight who base health off a number. 

someone who is 5'7 and weight 80kg has the same size skeleton as someone who is 5'7 and weighs 50 kg

BMI is not really a load of pish- I already pointed out that it does not work for "rugby types " or athletes

most of the public are not in that category- BUT - if you stop all your exercise, and remain at the same weight- your BMI will be more of an issue- as it becomes fat

20 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

someone who is 5'7 and weight 80kg has the same size skeleton as someone who is 5'7 and weighs 50 kg

No they don't. Bone thickness varies, as does the shape.

16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

No they don't. Bone thickness varies, as does the shape.

not by much it doesn't-

hence why Tom Kerridge is now a right skinny bassa, as is NIgela Lawson- they do not develop enormous skeletons when they are fat,

Their skinny person skeleton  is merely swamped in blubber.

Bone density varies throughout your life too dependent on weight/smoking/menopause/exercise levels and so on- fat people have DENSER bones- not BIGGER bones

AlphonseCapone
5 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

It really isn't.

I can't take your post seriously if you are quoting BMI. The major flaw with BMI and your point RE height is that folk at a certain height aren't the same build. There is no standard weight for a specific height. Build and muscle mass matters.

I feel like you went to medical school in the 80s. 

55 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I can't take your post seriously if you are quoting BMI. The major flaw with BMI and your point RE height is that folk at a certain height aren't the same build. There is no standard weight for a specific height. Build and muscle mass matters.

I feel like you went to medical school in the 80s. 

Build? Built of what?

For the vast majority BMI is fine to use but you should consider what % of that weight is body fat and where that is being stored.

BMI will tell most people what they already know alongside their general fitness and knowledge of what they eat.

The issue is that people choose to ignore what they consume or under estimate the impact.

Edited by Jamboelite

21 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

For the vast majority BMI is fine to use but you should consider what % of that weight is body fat and where that is being stored.

BMI will tell most people what they already know alongside their general fitness and knowledge of what they eat.

The issue is that people choose to ignore what they consume or under estimate the impact.

one other big thing is people underestimating what they eat. They think say eating a bowl of cornflakes for breakfast is x calories when it is likely to be 3 or more times that due to what is classed as a standard portion

A bodybuilder and a fatty of the same height may have the same weight and therefor the same BMI.

One is pure muscle. The other is 80% lard.

BMI is a very poor indicator of obesity.

I work with a fat guy. He said he put on the weight after moving out of his parents house and having no idea of portion control and how much of stuff he needed to cook. He's about 10 stone overweight though. :lol: 

That excuse might work for the first week tops, but he's clearly just continued making and eating too much because he's a greedy ****.

3 hours ago, Cade said:

A bodybuilder and a fatty of the same height may have the same weight and therefor the same BMI.

Yes but you are talking about extremes in terms of the comparison. BMI for the majority of people is a good indicator and if you can do that alongside body fat % you wont go far wrong.

At any height/weight, BMI is a poor indicator.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

You don't have to go to extreme examples to understand that it's almost medically useless.

Body fat % is a far better indicator but calculating that is not easy and requires special equipment.

14 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

not by much it doesn't-

hence why Tom Kerridge is now a right skinny bassa, as is NIgela Lawson- they do not develop enormous skeletons when they are fat,

Their skinny person skeleton  is merely swamped in blubber.

Bone density varies throughout your life too dependent on weight/smoking/menopause/exercise levels and so on- fat people have DENSER bones- not BIGGER bones

Aye ok, black people have denser bones than whites, fact.  And that's before you bring in any other factors.

14 hours ago, Cade said:

The bigger issue is that short fat people can be told that they have a reasonable weight and short lean girls can be told that they are underweight. This leads to unhealthy people being given a clean bill of health and incorrect anorexia diagnoses.

Anyone that is 'overweight' due to the amount of time they spend in the gym knows enough to ignore stupid BMI results. People in the other two groups often don't.

ToadKiller Dog

I do have some sympathy for the people in the show, certainly wouldnt shout and scream at them as being bad people they ain't evil, and it's more than just somebody jyst being a greedy ****er. 

But real credit to the medical team the surgeon who operated and the psychologist (blonde woman), who spent a lot of time with the family. 

You could see the change in attitude from the mother and the two daughters once she got outside again. Good luck to them hope they continue down that road . 

Often these shows are more along the lines of let's laugh and point our finger(we as humans love to look down our noses at others) at the stupid people who appear. 

14 hours ago, Cade said:

At any height/weight, BMI is a poor indicator.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

You don't have to go to extreme examples to understand that it's almost medically useless.

Body fat % is a far better indicator but calculating that is not easy and requires special equipment.

The best example of that is Rory Underwood being grounded by the RAF as his BMI was too high whilst also playing international rugby for England.