Starting 11

Rudy T

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Levein reckons he will, Souttar isn’t fit enough to go to Spain so it would seem a bit risky to play him in a must win cup game.

As I said we’ve not had a fully fit squad for years, I’m not sure if anyone ever does in modern day football. 

If we play those two up front CL will play one winger and expect width from the full backs, and only at home I reckon. We signed 20 players so we should have options, problem is as November/December showed some aren’t up to it.

While I agree from what we’ve seen there’s players who look short of what’s required, however a number have just been thrown in without the influential players around them. As an example Clare had his best game his best game at ER beside Naismith and only a lack of confidence held him back, playing every week in a better side will give him confidence. Olly Lee back to a more natural position saw a better contribution. I think Bozanic is a good player and has been a little unlucky not to play more. Morrison is a real prospect if he’s managed right. Godhino was good before his injury. MacLean can’t play as a lone striker in a team devoid of creativity. With Berra and Naismith back the team dynamics change dramatically and we’ll see how that helps those who have struggled recently. 6 points from 6 tells its own story.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

While I agree from what we’ve seen there’s players who look short of what’s required, however a number have just been thrown in without the influential players around them. As an example Clare had his best game his best game at ER beside Naismith and only a lack of confidence held him back, playing every week in a better side will give him confidence. Olly Lee back to a more natural position saw a better contribution. I think Bozanic is a good player and has been a little unlucky not to play more. Morrison is a real prospect if he’s managed right. Godhino was good before his injury. MacLean can’t play as a lone striker in a team devoid of creativity. With Berra and Naismith back the team dynamics change dramatically and we’ll see how that helps those who have struggled recently. 6 points from 6 tells its own story.

They both played at Aberdeen and Berra played at Livi, but we are definitely better with them in the team especially Naismith. In hindsight, or 40 years of being in the game as CL has, signing another target man on loan until January should’ve been priority when it was clear with 5 weeks until the window shut that KL was leaving.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:09, cb1874 said:

Doyle

Smith

Souttar      Berra

Haring

Morrison     Lee        Garuccio 

Naismith

Uche       Vanecek 

No starting place for:

Zamal, Dikamona, Shaunessy, Godhino, Djoum, Bozanic, Cochrane, MacDonald, McLean, Clare, Mulraney

Like the look of that team

Will Uche and Vanecek play together or will the two of them be fighting for the striker role.

I just wonder because it’s unusual to have two big powerful strikers playing at the same time 

unless your not winning and going for a win in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

28 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Will Uche and Vanecek play together or will the two of them be fighting for the striker role.

I just wonder because it’s unusual to have two big powerful strikers playing at the same time 

unless your not winning and going for a win in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

They seem fairly different to me, think Vanecek is a target man who likes to attack crosses in the box whilst Uche likes to hold onto the ball, could see a situation where Vanecek knocks a header onto Uche who ploughs through a couple of defenders before sticking it on a plate with a cut back to Naismith 

19 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

They both played at Aberdeen and Berra played at Livi, but we are definitely better with them in the team especially Naismith. In hindsight, or 40 years of being in the game as CL has, signing another target man on loan until January should’ve been priority when it was clear with 5 weeks until the window shut that KL was leaving.

He did, he tried to bring Vanecek in early and his club gave us the run around for weeks. 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

He did, he tried to bring Vanecek in early and his club gave us the run around for weeks. 

Didn't we also look at sow

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

No they didn’t, they stated from day one that they weren’t selling him as Vanacek has said this week. Celtic are there for the taking this season, and I think we’ve missed the boat.

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No they didn’t, they stated from day one that they weren’t selling him as Vanacek has said this week. Celtic are there for the taking this season, and I think we’ve missed the boat.

I’m sure there’s quotes from CL stating we did.

16 hours ago, BigAlim said:

They seem fairly different to me, think Vanecek is a target man who likes to attack crosses in the box whilst Uche likes to hold onto the ball, could see a situation where Vanecek knocks a header onto Uche who ploughs through a couple of defenders before sticking it on a plate with a cut back to Naismith 

Superb tactics my friend.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I’m sure there’s quotes from CL stating we did.

I think we tried to force their hand by putting in bids but they stood their ground, which is up them obviously. Clubs usually want a player to put in a transfer request so they forego a loyalty bonus, which can be as much as the transfer fee so it cancels it out. 

I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing the big guy finally get going.

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we tried to force their hand by putting in bids but they stood their ground, which is up them obviously. Clubs usually want a player to put in a transfer request so they forego a loyalty bonus, which can be as much as the transfer fee so it cancels it out. 

I have to say I’m looking forward to seeing the big guy finally get going.

Likewise, I hope he gets a good start, I honestly don’t think I can put up with the wheatfield moaners if he’s not bagged a hatrick after 20 mins of his debut!!

On 10/01/2019 at 04:21, Pasquale for King said:

What target man would you suggest he should have signed? Maybe his 40 years in the game taught CL that signing no-one is better, and less riskier, than signing someone not suitable, especially another short-term signing. He reinvested some Lafferty money into longer-term prospects - time will tell how tat works out - and took the chance Naismith, McLean and Uche would stay fit until January. Hindsight is great, but Uche and Naismith getting injured at the same time for such long periods was freakishly unlucky and not something that can be mitigated against, otherwise we'd have an enormous squad.

Edited by Guest

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What target man would you suggest he should have signed? Maybe his 40 years in the game taught CL that signing no-one is better, and less riskier, than signing someone not suitable, especially another short-term signing. He reinvested some Lafferty money into longer-term prospects - time will tell how tat works out - and took the chance Naismith, McLean and Uche would stay fit until January. Hindsight is great, but Uche and Naismith getting injured at the same time for such long periods was freakishly unlucky and not something that can be mitigated against, otherwise we'd have an enormous squad.

Is it my job to pick players? Surely that’s up to CL, jus pal Murray abc the coaches. Are you saying there wasn’t someone we could’ve got on loan for 3 months apart from Osman Sow? One player wouldn’t have made it that much bigger, dont know if you noticed but Maclean did stay fit and isn’t up to it. A bit like Hughes, we would’ve been better with guys that can contribute wouldn’t you agree? 

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is it my job to pick players? Surely that’s up to CL, jus pal Murray abc the coaches. Are you saying there wasn’t someone we could’ve got on loan for 3 months apart from Osman Sow? One player wouldn’t have made it that much bigger, dont know if you noticed but Maclean did stay fit and isn’t up to it. A bit like Hughes, we would’ve been better with guys that can contribute wouldn’t you agree? 

No idea but if there was I'm pretty sure we would have gone for them, considering we looked at Sow and tried so hard to get Vanacek earlier. I know you are looking to put the boot into Levein here but him thinking McLean, Naismith and Uche would do us fine until Vanacek arrived wasn't that huge of a gamble. 

Put it another way, what options until now have Rangers had if Morales and whoever their other main striker is had got injured at the same time? And money is no object with them. Same with most of the other teams. Very few have 4 or even 3 strikers who would be considered good enough to play as first pick for 3 months if needed. Keena and Currie would have been our back up options from the youth squad but both were out on loan. And where does it end? Do we need two similar standard potential first pick players for each position in case of injury? That would cost a fortune. This season is rare in that we actually have two potential first pick goalies.

I'm sure you'll agree it was a pretty unique set of circumstances that left us so short up front.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

No idea but if there was I'm pretty sure we would have gone for them, considering we looked at Sow and tried so hard to get Vanacek earlier. I know you are looking to put the boot into Levein here but him thinking McLean, Naismith and Uche would do us fine until Vanacek arrived wasn't that huge of a gamble. 

Put it another way, what options until now have Rangers had if Morales and whoever their other main striker is had got injured at the same time? And money is no object with them. Same with most of the other teams. Very few have 4 or even 3 strikers who would be considered good enough to play as first pick for 3 months if needed. Keena and Currie would have been our back up options from the youth squad but both were out on loan. And where does it end? Do we need two similar standard potential first pick players for each position in case of injury? That would cost a fortune. This season is rare in that we actually have two potential first pick goalies.

I'm sure you'll agree it was a pretty unique set of circumstances that left us so short up front.

Not really, two injuries and a guy that’s isnt up to it and Wighton. If CL wants to play in the way he does we needed another striker capable of holding the ball up. That’s not sticking the boot in that’s the facts of the situation. They knew KL was away in late July, they had plenty time to get someone on loan. As we didn’t we certainly shouldn’t have loaned out three young strikers either. Rangers had a guy in loan from Roma who they sent back because  he was rubbish, he played in the league cup semi. So they had three strikers and usually play one up, we usually play two so we have 5 strikers. Look at how Celtic have struggled especially away from home with LG and Edward. All teams have injuries and have to deal with them,  we have a huge squad when you count all the youngsters.

I’m just frustrated that we didn’t push on and fell away, aren’t we all? 

19 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not really, two injuries and a guy that’s isnt up to it and Wighton. If CL wants to play in the way he does we needed another striker capable of holding the ball up. That’s not sticking the boot in that’s the facts of the situation. They knew KL was away in late July, they had plenty time to get someone on loan. As we didn’t we certainly shouldn’t have loaned out three young strikers either. Rangers had a guy in loan from Roma who they sent back because  he was rubbish, he played in the league cup semi. So they had three strikers and usually play one up, we usually play two so we have 5 strikers. Look at how Celtic have struggled especially away from home with LG and Edward. All teams have injuries and have to deal with them,  we have a huge squad when you count all the youngsters.

I’m just frustrated that we didn’t push on and fell away, aren’t we all? 

We are all frustrated.  Clare and Wighton (so far) have been extremely disappointing and have been found to be wanting as step ins for our injured players. However 

we now have Naismith back, Janecek in and Uche is about to return - I think we could be in for a very interesting second half of season.

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

We are all frustrated.  Clare and Wighton (so far) have been extremely disappointing and have been found to be wanting as step ins for our injured players. However 

we now have Naismith back, Janecek in and Uche is about to return - I think we could be in for a very interesting second half of season.

Hopefully ??

I hope that Cochrane and MacDonald push on in the 2nd half of the season.  We could just be on the threshold of a very strong squad.

Plenty room for optimism.

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Any team without Djoum is wrong.

Thing with Djoum at the moment is what Djoum are we going to get, a fully committed version to impress new clubs or one trying not to get injured to secure a good move? If it’s the committed version then I agree if not then I’d rather see the likes of Cochrane get a chance.