Starting 11

Rudy T

With 2 new signings and Souttar and Uche back there’s a number of options for the team! If Uche and Vanecek are going to be a 2 upfront  we’ll need width to get the ball into them from wide

I'd go 3-5-2, something like...

Doyle

Smith Berra Souttar 

Morrison Harring Lee Naismith Mitchell 

Uche Vanecek 

of course that means Djoum Bozanic Dicamona Shaunessy Gaurrico Godhino Cochrane MacDonald McLean Clare Mulraney  Zamal et al miss out and not all of them can get on the bench either...it’s some squad when they’re all fit!

Edited by Rudy T

Wouldn’t have Garrucio ahead of Mitchell at the moment.  Not by a long way.  

If CL decides to play Vanacek and Uche at the same time with Naismith floating, he’ll keep a rigid central midfield.  

Probs a back 4 letting and allowing the full backs to get forward when they can. 

Absolute Scenes

Decent lineup but Naismith needs to be behind the 2 strikers not in midfield. Also think smith is good as wing back. Mitchell, again, not sure he deserves to be in the starting 11 unless he ups his game

10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Wouldn’t have Garrucio ahead of Mitchell at the moment.  Not by a long way.  

If CL decides to play Vanacek and Uche at the same time with Naismith floating, he’ll keep a rigid central midfield.  

Probs a back 4 letting and allowing the full backs to get forward when they can. 

Do you mean you wouldn’t have Mitchell ahead of Garruchio? The latter has been excellent at LB when called upon. 

21 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Decent lineup but Naismith needs to be behind the 2 strikers not in midfield. Also think smith is good as wing back. Mitchell, again, not sure he deserves to be in the starting 11 unless he ups his game

Yes I wasn’t too sure with Mitchell pace and width got him the nod, also I think Burns may get a shot there?

28 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Do you mean you wouldn’t have Mitchell ahead of Garruchio? The latter has been excellent at LB when called upon. 

Would imagine so. One has been solid and one has been utter toley this season.

scott herbertson

I don’t think he will play both Uche and Vanacek most games. I’d guess when he comes back Uche will be on the bench as long as Vanacek is playing well. Swap garuccio and Djoum into the op for Uche and Mitchell would be my guess for the default team  with 2 up front reserved for the easier games like St Mirren, Dundee and Hibs

Edited by scott herbertson

Doyle

Smith

Souttar      Berra

Haring

Morrison     Lee        Garuccio 

Naismith

Uche       Vanecek 

No starting place for:

Zamal, Dikamona, Shaunessy, Godhino, Djoum, Bozanic, Cochrane, MacDonald, McLean, Clare, Mulraney

Edited by cb1874

32 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Doyle

Smith

Souttar      Berra

Haring

Morrison     Lee        Garuccio 

Naismith

Uche       Vanecek 

No starting place for:

Zamal, Dikamona, Shaunessy, Godhino, Djoum, Bozanic, Cochrane, MacDonald, McLean, Clare, Mulraney

replacing vanecek with mclean  berra with dunne was the line up that took us top at the start of season and with everyone fit I see no reason that we wont revert to this with vanecek in for mclean and berra back for dunne, which to me looks an improvement on quality from what levein had us playing.

1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

Sorry, typo there.  Garrucio ahead of Mitchell by a mile just now.  

Dikamona Souttar Berra

Smith                 Haring             Ben

Lee     Clare 

Naismith

Uche           vanecek 

I would do that with haring and Naismith moving up and dropping back so we don't get swamped in midfield. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Dikamona Souttar Berra

Lee     Clare 

Naismith

Uche           vanecek 

I would do that with haring and Naismith moving up and dropping back so we don't get swamped in midfield. 

Think we might need a goalkeeper in there. 

9 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Garrucio is our starting left back just now with Bobby as back up. Id send Mitchell back to Man U now.

I’d rather we kept Mitchell and see how he reacts to being dropped. Maybe give him the boot up the erchie that he sorely needs.

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Dikamona Souttar Berra

Lee     Clare 

Naismith

Uche           vanecek 

Nae keeper?

Now that’s just arrogant :lol:

Heartsofgold
59 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Nae keeper?

Now that’s just arrogant :lol:

That comment actually did make me lol.  Nice one!!

Soapy and Uche will be out for a while yet. Maybe back doing some fitness work soon but I don’t see either playing until Feb and we don’t need to rush them as we’ve got plenty cover.

So for Livi and Dundee if fit and able.

Doyle

Clevid  Smith  Berra

Morrison Djoum Haring Garuccio

Lee.                Naisy

Vanecek 

Possibly Shaughnessy In for Haring if he’s not fully recovered from his Hernia op.

I’d like to see Olly Lee playing in that more advanced position where he doesn’t have to worry too much about defending and can effect the game in more attacking areas. 

Doyle

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Garuccio

Morrison

Haring

Lee

Mitchell

Naismith

Vanecek/Uche

Quite difficult to leave some good player out the starting XI, but all of a sudden we look to have a strong group again.

My team is picked on the back of Levein's comments about needing crosses into the box for DV to flourish. 

Heartsofgold

Haring will be out for 4-6 weeks so forget him until mid February at least.  Let's not mess with a hernia problem and give him time to heal and get fitness back up to scratch.

24 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

20190109_105306.jpg

No width in that team.

CL is on record saying we need to get crosses in the box to get the best out of DV.

Absolute Scenes
17 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

No width in that team.

CL is on record saying we need to get crosses in the box to get the best out of DV.

Garrucio and smith are both decent a team getting forward but we need at least one winger there you’re right!

Pretty sure Naismith has a suspension to serve at some point, for the three January games Haring, Uche and Souttar won't be ready either, for those games I'd look at:

Doyle

Dikamona 

Smith

Berra

Brandon 

Shaughnessy 

Lee

Garuccio

Djoum

Vanecek 

Naismith 

With MacLean coming in for the game Naismith misses

Doyle

Dikamona Souttar Berra

Smith Haring Cochrane Garuccio

Naismith 

Uche MacLean*

Have only seen highlights of Vanecek and whilst he does look good, anybody can look good on YouTube so I’d go with the front 3 that was good at the start. 

Personally, I much prefer Smith in the sweeper role but can’t see Levein playing Morrison at wing back, Brandon is just back from injury and Godinho is a bit hot and cold. Which is why the apparent interest of Cadden makes sense as he can play wing back. 

I’m not against Smith playing wing back though and could see him on the right with Dikamona and Shaughnessy competing from that 3rd spot at centre half. 

The brilliant thing about the squad we have its j think we could play 3 maybe even 4 shapes very well. I do think we need to find and away formation and  home formation at home I would like to see is go with width so either 

3-4-1-2 or a 5-3-2 

away from hone I think we need to play narrow and dominate the middle of the park so maybe 

4-4-2 diamond or a 5-3-1-1 

im not 100% sure if personnel for these teams but I think a spine of Doyle (for now) berra Souttar, Haring, Naismith and Vanecek (or uche) is key 

midfield we can rota based on opponents form etc and defence I think will be the same with confidence hopefully coming back to a few players and the return of a few from injury 

18Jambo_dave74

Doyle

Smith Souttar Berra Garuccio

Morrison Lee Haring Naismith

Vanecek Ikpeazu 

With everybody fit I would go with this team as its quite close to the team and shape that we started the season with. We could change systems quite easily during the match with this team as well. 

Doyle has the jersey at the moment so would start. I think that Djoum is probably a better player than Lee but the Lee + Haring partnership was excellent at the start of the season, plus Lee offers a threat from set pieces and shooting from distance. 

Morrison's form majorly dipped but I think there's signs that he is picking up again - having Vanecek, Ikpeazu and Naismith getting in to the box will help him be able to pick players out with his crosses. 

We should go back to being very threatening from set pieces with Souttar, Berra, Haring, Ikpeazu and Vanecek in the team. Shaughnessy looks like he could be a threat as well. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

With 2 new signings and Souttar and Uche back there’s a number of options for the team! If Uche and Vanecek are going to be a 2 upfront  we’ll need width to get the ball into them from wide

I'd go 3-5-2, something like...

Doyle

Smith Berra Souttar 

Morrison Harring Lee Naismith Mitchell 

Uche Vanecek 

of course that means Djoum Bozanic Dicamona Shaunessy Gaurrico Godhino Cochrane MacDonald McLean Clare Mulraney  Zamal et al miss out and not all of them can get on the bench either...it’s some squad when they’re all fit!

Morrison won’t be at wing back anytime soon and we never have everyone fit either. Souttar and Uche not back til February. 

Team for Livi

Doyle

Smith

Shaughnessy

Berra

Garuccio

Morrison/Clare

Lee

Bozanic

Djoum

Naismith

Vanacek

IF everyone’s fit 

Doyle

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Garuccio

Morrison/Clare

Djoum

Haring

Naismith

Uche

Vanacek

CL prefers 442 but might go to 352 depending on who we are playing and personnel available.

3 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Clare before Morrison IMO

Not for me - if we are going to play Uche and Janecek up top, then we need a wide man in the team. CL has said today that Janecek loves to attack balls played into the box.

rudi must stay

Big games (old firm, Hibs, Aberdeen away)

Doyle

Berra Smith Dikamona

Haring

Morrison Bozanic Lee Djoum

Vanecek Naismith

Everyone else:

Doyle

Souttar Shaughnessy Berra

Smith Djoum Haring Lee Mitchell 

Vanecek Naismith

(Rotating Uche when he's fit again)

Fair play to Levein he has built an interesting squad. I can see us having an excellent 2nd part of the season

3 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not for me - if we are going to play Uche and Janecek up top, then we need a wide man in the team. CL has said today that Janecek loves to attack balls played into the box.

I heard his interview and I do admire Morrison as  a player but he can be posted missing in some games and I think Clare is getting better and better and with more experience also

Edited by BelgeJambo

1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

I heard his interview and I do admire Morrison as  a player but he can be posted missing on some games and I think Clare is getting better and better with more experience also

Clare hasn’t played that many games in his career so he is not that experienced, and although he is getting better he has a long way to go to get to the level suggested by the hype.

I do not see Clare as a winger who can whip the ball into Janecek - Morrison is more than capable of doing that IMO.

Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Clare hasn’t played that many games in his career so he is not that experienced, and although he is getting better he has a long way to go to get to the level suggested by the hype.

I do not see Clare as a winger who can whip the ball into Janecek - Morrison is more than capable of doing that IMO.

You might be right and Morrrison’s end product is slowly improving

we need to replicate on the left side also 

mitchell needs to up his game

Captain Bubblebeard

Really difficult to name a preferred XI, much as it was the past couple of months. Only difference being that three weeks ago it was because confidence was shot and a number of our key players were out injured.

In three weeks time it will hopefully be difficult as all the top boys are back and we are firing on all cylinders.

Know which I prefer.

The prospect of DV living up to the hype and playing up top alongside Uche with Naismith in support is outstanding. Compare that to a hernia-thwarted Haring and Morrison in the home derby. The vermin got very lucky personnel-wise in that game. Hope they are preparing for an absolute lengthing in the follow up match.

Gimme:

Bobby/ Doyle

Smith Clevid Souttar Berra Garuccio

Haring Lee

Naismith

Uche Vanecek

Only formation that gets all our best players on the park. However, can see Naismith and Vanecek being our preferred pairing whilst Uche recovers. 

We have so many options - I can see us swapping between 352 and some variation of 451 a lot.

We tend to go for a back 3 when the opposition lines up that way.

Really could do with a proper LW - would like Mitchell getting a stint there, still hoping Mulraney to click but I won't hold my breath

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Morrison won’t be at wing back anytime soon and we never have everyone fit either. Souttar and Uche not back til February. 

Team for Livi

Doyle

Smith

Shaughnessy

Berra

Garuccio

Morrison/Clare

Lee

Bozanic

Djoum

Naismith

Vanacek

IF everyone’s fit 

Doyle

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Garuccio

Morrison/Clare

Djoum

Haring

Naismith

Uche

Vanacek

CL prefers 442 but might go to 352 depending on who we are playing and personnel available.

Souttar could be back for Livi game.

It was more about when we do have more or less a full squad, Will Uche and Vanecek play in a 2 if they do we need width. I guess the thread highlights how many options we have when we have a fit squad.

2 hours ago, zicoinexile said:

Who the **** is Janacek?

Just what I was ? I can’t keep up do we know anything about him?

Edited by feedthefox

4 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

You might be right and Morrrison’s end product is slowly improving

we need to replicate on the left side also 

mitchell needs to up his game

Unfortunately Mitchell has been a massive disappointment.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Souttar could be back for Livi game.

It was more about when we do have more or less a full squad, Will Uche and Vanecek play in a 2 if they do we need width. I guess the thread highlights how many options we have when we have a fit squad.

Levein reckons he will, Souttar isn’t fit enough to go to Spain so it would seem a bit risky to play him in a must win cup game.

As I said we’ve not had a fully fit squad for years, I’m not sure if anyone ever does in modern day football. 

If we play those two up front CL will play one winger and expect width from the full backs, and only at home I reckon. We signed 20 players so we should have options, problem is as November/December showed some aren’t up to it.

Edited by Pasquale for King

I think Levein will try to revert to the style and formation we started the season so well with, so wouldn’t be surprised to see Mclean and Vanecek tested as a front two while Uche’s out, with Naismith just behind them.

Think starting 11 against Livi will be interesting. Probably no haring, Souttar or uche. But we have Vanecek in. Possible 3, 5 1,1 or maybe a 4, 5, 1. Using Naismith and McLean to link with Vanecek looks good on paper. 

Love having options - seems ages since we have had this.