Would You Back Rangers

King Of The Cat Cafe

23 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I believe that Celtic’s most recent  accounts include Champions League revenue for the previous season? The next sets of accounts for both Glasgow teams will be interesting reading indeed. Celtic will have offset the loss of CL money with the sale of Dembele but they don’t have an endless supply of players who they can achieve such fees for. I think it’s conceivable that Scottish teams eventually don’t qualify for the Champions League at all.

£15-20m for Morelos, but Celtic don’t have an endless supply of players they can can sell for large fees?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Phil Dunphy

• Renault

• Mr Elwood P

21 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

£15-20m for Morelos, but Celtic don’t have an endless supply of players they can can sell for large fees?

A question mark is usually added at the end of a question. You have restated what I have written and banged a question mark on the end of it.

Morelos will be sold for £15-20m.

Celtic don’t have an endless supply of sellable assets. 

One subjective point, based on the current transfer market, and one non rebuttable fact. 

8 hours ago, RussAsia said:

Anyone but Celtic or Hibs. So i'd reply yes to the OP's question.

Quite happy for Rangers to get into the champions league qualifiers and the potential cash they could receive? Not to mention the league completely reverting back the way it has been for 30 years. 

Don't understand anyone wanting Rangers to win the league. Celtic are miles ahead, financially. Why would anyone want to give Rangers half a chance.

This has to be one of the worst threads posted on here. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A question mark is usually added at the end of a question. You have restated what I have written and banged a question mark on the end of it.

Morelos will be sold for £15-20m.

Celtic don’t have an endless supply of sellable assets. 

One subjective point, based on the current transfer market, and one non rebuttable fact. 

Morelos could well be sold for an inflated fee, Rangers and Celtic have managed that for decades. I seriously doubt anyone would pay anything even approaching £20m however. Sub £10m will be closer to the mark, I reckon. 

Celtic have numerous players who could also attract fees that are bloated, and not really indicative of their actual stature. They are just able to squeeze more money out of their assets. For example if Souttar or Cochrane were at Celtic and played exactly the way they do for us, Celtic would slap £10m + price tags on them. As it stands, Celtic could get similarly bloated fees to that which Morelos would go for, for:

Tierney

Rogic

McGregor

Eduoarde

Boyata

That’s just off the top of my head, without going through their squad and youth players. Not that those players are world beaters mind you. That’s just the way it goes unfortunately.

Rangers and Celtic are able to attract inflated transfer fees for their players, and right now I’d say Celtic have more sellable assets than they do. With that in mind, I’d say that your suggestion of Rangers being able to sell Morelos in order to wipe out their debt and get closer to Celtic is flawed. They would have to replace him in the first instance, and they would have to hope Celtic didn’t sell anyone, or receive another windfall from European competition. Celtic also have the benefit of more income from merchandise, thanks to Mike Ashley.

I see no way for Rangers to close the gap on Celtic, other than to continue to spend outwith their means chasing the title and the CL money. If they fail on both counts, then selling Morelos ain’t gonna dig them out the hole.

IMO

Haven't read the full thread so don't know what the 'popular' opinion is.  But the way I see it, Celtoic continuing to have success is basically Celtic continuing to have success.  Rangers putting the brakes on that would be heralded as a return to the good old days and crowed about in a thank-god-we-have-a-competition-again fashion.  I think I'd rather see anyone other than Rangers stop Celtic.

16 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yeah plenty.  I also live and work in Glasgow so am exposed to both regularly.   I know what you are getting at and in terms of the actual inbred mutants who follow them around there isn't much in it.  But it's so much deeper than that for me.  At a fundamental . base level I despise Rangers and everything about them to a level I have never felt for Celtic.  I am not sure I can really articulate why but its so deep rooted nothing can shake it.  I'm finding this thread quite cathartic. 

I'm glad it's doing you some good.

I'm just thankful i'm a bit apathetic about the 10 in a row, old firm...and media perpetuated....****fest !

21 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Morelos could well be sold for an inflated fee, Rangers and Celtic have managed that for decades. I seriously doubt anyone would pay anything even approaching £20m however. Sub £10m will be closer to the mark, I reckon. 

Celtic have numerous players who could also attract fees that are bloated, and not really indicative of their actual stature. They are just able to squeeze more money out of their assets. For example if Souttar or Cochrane were at Celtic and played exactly the way they do for us, Celtic would slap £10m + price tags on them. As it stands, Celtic could get similarly bloated fees to that which Morelos would go for, for:

Tierney

Rogic

McGregor

Eduoarde

Boyata

That’s just off the top of my head, without going through their squad and youth players. Not that those players are world beaters mind you. That’s just the way it goes unfortunately.

Rangers and Celtic are able to attract inflated transfer fees for their players, and right now I’d say Celtic have more sellable assets than they do. With that in mind, I’d say that your suggestion of Rangers being able to sell Morelos in order to wipe out their debt and get closer to Celtic is flawed. They would have to replace him in the first instance, and they would have to hope Celtic didn’t sell anyone, or receive another windfall from European competition. Celtic also have the benefit of more income from merchandise, thanks to Mike Ashley.

I see no way for Rangers to close the gap on Celtic, other than to continue to spend outwith their means chasing the title and the CL money. If they fail on both counts, then selling Morelos ain’t gonna dig them out the hole.

IMO

Why do you think the fees being achieved are inflated or bloated? Celtic sold Van Dijk for £13m to Southampton who subsequently sold him for £70m to Liverpool. If anything Celtic received a paltry transfer fee for a player who is now regarded as one of, if not the best, centre backs in Europe. Hibs managed to get £3.5m for John Mcginn with a few months left on his contract. I’ve said a few times on here that folk have failed to pick up on the rapid change in the transfer market and the fact that fees will and are continuing to rise for clubs in Scotland as well. Morelos has a long term contract and Celtic have set the benchmark with the recent sale of Dembele. He will go for very large fee. My point regarding his sale was to offset their losses not to catch Celtic, unless of course Defoe is the same player he was whilst at Sunderland a few years ago.

The list of Celtic players you highlight above are the same key sellable assets that I would have highlighted. That was exactly what I meant by ‘not an endless supply’, they have 5-7 players that could  be sold for substantial fees. I’d also add in the caveat that players like Tierney, Forrest and Mcgregor may decided to play for Celtic for the rest of their careers. That however seems unlikely as your Messi, Giggs & Gerrard types seem to be completely out of fashion.

13 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I try to inject as much logic as possible into this forum. Usually has the equivalent effect of attempting to extinguish a house fire by pissing all over the front door.

???

5 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Don't understand anyone wanting Rangers to win the league. Celtic are miles ahead, financially. Why would anyone want to give Rangers half a chance.

The same reason they sing about being up to their knees in a certain type of person's blood, I'd imagine. Logic doesn't enter the minds of such people.

On 08/01/2019 at 18:55, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

In any game that that could end that Celtic "Here we go, ten in a row" nonsense?

NEVER!

40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The same reason they sing about being up to their knees in a certain type of person's blood, I'd imagine. Logic doesn't enter the minds of such people.

Cause they’re pure Mini-Huns, eh?

?

47 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Cause they’re pure Mini-Huns, eh?

?

If I remember correctly, you are from Northern Ireland, either by birth or parentage? That’s bound to influence your opinion on such matters. Certainly don’t think you are some sort of Gorgie Loyal arsehole type, or anything like that. It must affect your reasoning on these sort of discussions though? I despise them both just as much as each other for example. I would guess you probably hate Celtic more... would not blame you for a second if that’s the case. Same applies to Tosh though. I certainly disagree with his wanting Hibs to win the Cup shit, but I can understand it. Obviously just hates Rangers more than other clubs.

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes right enough. 

Anyone who hates Celtic more is just a mini hun.

Those who don't care if Celtic win until the end of time are balanced individuals. 

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

If I remember correctly, you are from Northern Ireland, either by birth or parentage? That’s bound to influence your opinion on such matters. Certainly don’t think you are some sort of Gorgie Loyal arsehole type, or anything like that. It must affect your reasoning on these sort of discussions though? I despise them both just as much as each other for example. I would guess you probably hate Celtic more... would not blame you for a second if that’s the case. Same applies to Tosh though. I certainly disagree with his wanting Hibs to win the Cup shit, but I can understand it. Obviously just hates Rangers more than other clubs.

Don't get me wrong, their backward opinions on Northern Ireland and the IRA make me hate them significantly more. But I certainly wouldn't claim to be 'content' to see Rangers win the league. Every time we play them I'm reminded how much I despise them. But I'll take anyone (except Hibernian) winning the league over Celtic and stopping 10IAR. But if it came to Celtic v Hibernian in the Scottish Cup Final, it wouldn't be a tough choice to make. I don't understand how anyone could choose Hibs winning anything over a club that's won so many trophies that it doesn't even really register anymore.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Don't get me wrong, their backward opinions on Northern Ireland and the IRA make me hate them significantly more. But I certainly wouldn't claim to be 'content' to see Rangers win the league. Every time we play them I'm reminded how much I despise them. But I'll take anyone (except Hibernian) winning the league over Celtic and stopping 10IAR. But if it came to Celtic v Hibernian in the Scottish Cup Final, it wouldn't be a tough choice to make. I don't understand how anyone could choose Hibs winning anything over a club that's won so many trophies that it doesn't even really register anymore.

All pretty understandable and fair enough imo.

It does vary from fan to fan though. 

For me, it’s anyone but Hibs, Rangers and Celtic. England at international level.

Who I’d like to win between clashes of those first three comes down to what’s at stake on a game by game basis. 

Could never have wanted Hibs to win the Cup, regardless of the fact it was Rangers they played. Likewise, I would never want Hibs to beat Hearts in any game, regardless of the consequences.

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

All pretty understandable and fair enough imo.

It does vary from fan to fan though. 

For me, it’s anyone but Hibs, Rangers and Celtic. England at international level.

Who I’d like to win between clashes of those first three comes down to what’s at stake on a game by game basis. 

Could never have wanted Hibs to win the Cup, regardless of the fact it was Rangers they played. Likewise, I would never want Hibs to beat Hearts in any game, regardless of the consequences.

Being a football fan is strange, when you think about it. Your feelings will change around certain teams, certain matches and certain players/managers based on a complex set of variables that anyone who doesn't follow football would ever be able to understand.

I cheered Hibs scoring against Rangers in the Championship because it helped us on our way to smashing out the cigars just after Christmas. But this is a club who's supporters wished us dead. Some of them even worked to that end. A support who celebrate a league season that saw them finish 8th out of 10, because Hearts finished 2nd. One who celebrate the death of Wallace Mercer by singing songs about his cancer (whilst getting quite upset over the recent death of Liam Miller). How any self respecting Hearts supporter could wish them well in anything that doesn't directly benefit Hearts is beyond me. 

Imagine taking any sort of pleasure from Hibernian winning a trophy. That, for me, is a hallmark of someone who doesn't really get what it's like to support Hearts.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Being a football fan is strange, when you think about it. Your feelings will change around certain teams, certain matches and certain players/managers based on a complex set of variables that anyone who doesn't follow football would ever be able to understand.

I cheered Hibs scoring against Rangers in the Championship because it helped us on our way to smashing out the cigars just after Christmas. But this is a club who's supporters wished us dead. Some of them even worked to that end. A support who celebrate a league season that saw them finish 8th out of 10, because Hearts finished 2nd. One who celebrate the death of Wallace Mercer by singing songs about his cancer (whilst getting quite upset over the recent death of Liam Miller). How any self respecting Hearts supporter could wish them well in anything that doesn't directly benefit Hearts is beyond me. 

Imagine taking any sort of pleasure from Hibernian winning a trophy. That, for me, is a hallmark of someone who doesn't really get what it's like to support Hearts.

There is not a single solitary point in that post that I either disagree with, nor feel like pretending to in order to spark debate.

FTH

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

There is not a single solitary point in that post that I either disagree with, nor feel like pretending to in order to spark debate.

FTH

**** Hibernian FC and everyone who sails in her mate.

3 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Each to their own. Rangers systematically cheated everybody for a decade with a scheme that went against any concept of fair play. That is the actions of the club, not supporters. You can't do much about wallopers in a support but as a club you can respect the game. A trophy free decade for 'Gers' or 'Light Blues' would seem appropriate.

Edited by Riccarton3

Nelly Terraces

I wouldn't piss on 'Rangers' if they were on fire. Same goes for their equally nauseating mates in green across the city their grounds inhabit. 

11 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Each to their own. Rangers systematically cheated everybody for a decade with a scheme that went against any concept of fair play. That is the actions of the club, not supporters. You can't do much about wallopers in a support but as a club you can respect the game. A trophy free decade for 'Gers' or 'Light Blues' would seem appropriate.

I'm sorry, but anyone who chooses Hibs to win a trophy over Rangers is one of two things.

1) A Hibs *****.

2) A rasper.

I stand by my point that anyone who chooses Hibs to win a trophy over anyone else doesn't understand what being a Hearts supporter is all about.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm sorry, but anyone who chooses Hibs to win a trophy over Rangers is one of two things.

1) A Hibs *****.

2) A rasper.

I stand by my point that anyone who chooses Hibs to win a trophy over anyone else doesn't understand what being a Hearts supporter is all about.

I'll be honest, I don't mind Hibs beating either of the old firm in the league. I DaveKing hate them. 

But Hibs winning a trophy?  Hell no. 

1 minute ago, Top Corner said:

I'll be honest, I don't mind Hibs beating either of the old firm in the league. I DaveKing hate them. 

But Hibs winning a trophy?  Hell no. 

I'll happily back any club in the country to win a trophy in a final against the Old Firm.

Except those vermin from the other side of the city.

21 hours ago, RussAsia said:

Anyone but Celtic or Hibs. So i'd reply yes to the OP's question.

Was just to post much the same. Would prefer not have Rangers winning the league , but the Celtic domination needs to end as its embarrassing. Aberdeen have been the closest over the last couple of seasons and have still fell at short,.

Lets face it , Rangers are nearly back to being the beast they where before being liquidated.

45 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

1) A Hibs *****.

2) A rasper.

You're right but you'll just upset the guy who keeps changing his username. I'm losing track, what is it now ? Geoff Hurst's chin or some shit ?

58 minutes ago, Boab said:

You're right but you'll just upset the guy who keeps changing his username. I'm losing track, what is it now ? Geoff Hurst's chin or some shit ?

Pat Stanton’s penis I believe, Boab.

Stephen Muddie

I for one always speak highly of the rangers...

May God (or lucifer the light bringer) be with our cousins of great britishness in their quest for world domination.

May the queen be behind the peepul because over my dead union flag draped body shall the dirty mhanks be doing ten in a row x

5 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

I for one always speak highly of the rangers...

May God (or lucifer the light bringer) be with our cousins of great britishness in their quest for world domination.

May the queen be behind the peepul because over my dead union flag draped body shall the dirty mhanks be doing ten in a row x

Hopefully she'll forgive and forget the monies they owe her.?

Wouldn't support The Irish Team, The Quintessential British Team (or England) if they were up against a Vampire Serial Killers with Bad Breath and a Desire to Conquer Earth XI

Would raise the profile of our league outside Scotland if it wasn't the same team winning it year after year. That aside, couldnt give a ****.

Bazzas right boot
22 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I don't think any Hearts fans taken pleasure out of hibs winning the Cup. 

Just like if I had to chose between a broken arm or broken leg. 

I'd choose a broken arm, but wouldn't take any pleasure out if it. 

On the original thread it was explained logically and clearly. 

Unfortunately folk twist it to things like wanting Hibs to win the cup, taken pleasure out of hibs winning etc. 

I stick by my view that a weak rangers is the best for Hearts. Them getting beat of hibs was a shite fest, but anything, anything that keeps rangers weak is good by me and to the benifit of Hearts. 

I'm not that an emotional person, so tend to to focus on the the bigger picture, in that case rangers being as weak as possible, also in this case, celtic winning over rangers is patalable as it aids the bigger aim- keeping rangers as weak as possible. 

Unfortunately, in achieving this goal there has been some unsavoury outcomes. 

To continue to berat someone and hint that they don't get Hearts is poor. 

You don't know me, but for the record 

Parents and grandparents Hearts fans. 

Born in Edinburgh. 

St holder 

FOH Contributer 

Got a plaque in the new stand

I'm a Hearts fan and I get Hearts. 

Also I'm a person who dislikes rangers more than Hibs, I also think a weak rangers benifits Hearts. 

If you don't agree, then fine. 

Unsure why you would continue to go on about it, tho. 

Disliking rangers more than Hibs, even if you don't agree should not upset or bother another Hearts fan that much. 

If it bothers someone that much that two years it's still being discussed, then the reasons cannot be purely football based, and if that's the case, then be honest about it. If not just accept that some Hearts fans dislike rangers more than Hibs. Don't need to agree, but for the sake of, at least threads on here- move on. ?

Rangers could be replaced with Celtic. My view would be the same but reversed and wanting rangers to win ten in a row. 

Why? Because if the roles where reversed, a weak celtic would benefit us, like it did in the early 90's, just as weak rangers did in the 80's and like rangers have in the past 5 years, although only Aberdeen have taken any advantage constantly- you could possibly add hibs, St Johnstone, Ross County, ICT, St mirren and killie to that list as well. 

Hopefully we do, starting this season as well. 

You should really stop with the snidey wee indirect digs, such as your last sentence, accept some have a different view. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Stephen_East said:

Would raise the profile of our league outside Scotland if it wasn't the same team winning it year after year. That aside, couldnt give a ****.

Only if someone different won it outside the OF. 

The profile will not be effected at all by titles swapping between the of versus one of them winning it most or all the time. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Boab said:

Tosh'left foot

Rudi's left foot 

Big Daves heed

Wee chucks heed

Ollies left boot. 

Easily see a theme,  paying homage to some of my favourites. 

It's not some shit. Tut tut. 

I don't get upset about other teams. 

Unlike some who seem very upset that a Hearts fan dislikes rangers more than Hibs. 

That upset, they go on about it two years later and fling mud at him. 

The not a PHM card had been played. 

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

1) A Hibs *****.

2) A rasper.

I prefer to go by  a hun hater. 

Being a Hearts fan is more than thinking about hibs. 

Or it can be. 

The world is a diverse place, full of different opinions, logic and reasoning. 

Argueing with fellow fans about celtic, rangers and Hibs goes beyond me tho. 

Firing across multiple threads indirect digs, snidey comments and generally acting cowardly by indirectly having a go at people with a different opinion is also a bit low. 

Don't let others having a difference of opinion upset you. 

Also, if your going to go on about me, indirectly call me things, pm me. Don't bore other posters and hijack threads. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I don't think any Hearts fans taken pleasure out of hibs winning the Cup. 

You did.

As for the rest of your post, I didn't read it.

EDIT: I don't need to PM you to tell you I find your stance utterly embarrassing. Choosing our actual rivals to win a trophy because of your hatred of a club 50 miles down the road is utterly ****ing pathetic. And should be mocked at every given opportunity. 

Edited by Phil Dunphy

williamgerrard

This it what i love about a section off our support sing all the rangers songs under the sun guys like me where brought up rangers winning 9 in a row i take great pleasure and seeing them struggle now only a total idiot would want one off our rivals to get stronger ps thats what rangers are RIVALS try rember this guys all this sevco love in is disgusting .Ps i also hate celtic so before some mouth peace comes on and calls me a mini tim 

13 minutes ago, williamgerrard said:

This it what i love about a section off our support sing all the rangers songs under the sun guys like me where brought up rangers winning 9 in a row i take great pleasure and seeing them struggle now only a total idiot would want one off our rivals to get stronger ps thats what rangers are RIVALS try rember this guys all this sevco love in is disgusting .Ps i also hate celtic so before some mouth peace comes on and calls me a mini tim 

You clearly haven't read any of this thread if you think there's been anything close to a "Rangers love in".

williamgerrard
6 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You clearly haven't read any of this thread if you think there's been anything close to a "Rangers love in".

To be fair i skipt half the pages lol but i am not just talking about on here i am talking about some off our support in general

21 minutes ago, williamgerrard said:

:wow:  Now, that was a hard read.   Plus, no Rangers ‘love-in’ was/or indeed is, evident at any time within this thread.

for those reading or posting, if neither Celtic or Hearts won the League, who would you 'back'?

You're left, realistically, with Aberdeen, Kilmarnock or Rangers.

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

for those reading or posting, if neither Celtic or Hearts won the League, who would you 'back'?

Dundee.

7 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Would have to be Kilmarnock.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Would have to be Kilmarnock.

PHM. Anybody considering the Rangers from that list kens **** all about being a Hearts supporter.

Edited by Riccarton3