• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• letsalldothebeattie

• Victorian

All roads lead to Gorgie

That was a cruel finish. Agonisingly close but that's Scotland for you. Sorry to the neighbours for my loud swearing at the end! 

skinnybob72
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You just knew.    They should have let them go in at the corner.   Might have missed the conv.

Yup and their main kicker was already off the pitch. A kick from the touch line with the knowledge you lose if you miss is some pressure. But no, we roll out the red carpet and let them through the posts. 

1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

Yup and their main kicker was already off the pitch. A kick from the touch line with the knowledge you lose if you miss is some pressure. But no, we roll out the red carpet and let them through the posts. 

I suppose the instinct has to be defend the line but as soon as England reset out wide,    you could see the result.   Inside passes... under the posts.

Silvery_Moon
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You just knew.    They should have let them go in at the corner.   Might have missed the conv.

Was thinking just that

132goals1958
18 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Agree especially as the referee was playing penalty advantage and the momentum seemed inevitable in leading to a try.

Cruyff Turn

Scotland were immense 2nd half. Shouldn’t be disappointed with a draw although that’s how the English have tried to brush it off, like they did well to draw despite being 31 points infront. Clowns.

It was a nothing to play for game except pride and we lost that in the first half.

Credit to them in the 2nd. 

Captain Sausage

Utterly breathtaking game. Was there with two English pals and was getting it right at half time. Where on earth that second half performance came from, I’ll never know. 

A proud scotsman tonight. ???????

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

How many times has Farrell been caught going into tackles with the shoulder now? He's an instinctively dirty player.

I was at the match and all the English around me were convinced Farrell should have been carded. He gets away with it at Twickenham and he's got away with it for Sarries. He's protected. The explanation that he was protecting himself is hogwash - I've barged into plenty of people through excess momentum (mass more than velocity) but have always managed to get my arms out to hold on to them without knocking them over. Utter crap that a professional sportsman can't do the same.  

Had justice been done for that barge, we'd have won that match. 

The Twickenham crowd was great and I had a great laugh with the guys in my section behind the posts where most of the tries were scored, teaching them Scotland the Brave to add to their chariots repertoire. 

Great day out. 

Cruyff Turn

Farrell should 100% been sin binned, it was a no arms tackle leading with his shoulder and high. He deliberately took out Darcy Graham because he was a threat. 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I was at the match and all the English around me were convinced Farrell should have been carded. He gets away with it at Twickenham and he's got away with it for Sarries. He's protected. The explanation that he was protecting himself is hogwash - I've barged into plenty of people through excess momentum (mass more than velocity) but have always managed to get my arms out to hold on to them without knocking them over. Utter crap that a professional sportsman can't do the same.  

Had justice been done for that barge, we'd have won that match. 

The Twickenham crowd was great and I had a great laugh with the guys in my section behind the posts where most of the tries were scored, teaching them Scotland the Brave to add to their chariots repertoire. 

Great day out. 

Was quite funny on ITV.

Not sure which feeds were being used when showing the replay, theirs or the TMO however Lawrence Dalligio conceded in slow motion it looked a penalty but in real time just a coming together.

Problem was the 'real time ' replays of were speeded up to at least twice pace.

shaun.lawson

Scotland were incredible; England were laughable. And I, like a good few Englishmen, was rooting for Scotland from about 50 minutes onwards. It was spellbinding stuff.

I disagree that Farrell should've been carded. I can't stand him, he's an arrogant prick - but this is absolute split second stuff, and I thought the ref got it spot on. But I also thought Scotland should have won. That they didn't was a combo of giving away the pen on halfway / not letting us score in the corner / missing way too many kicks at goal. Shades of Kenny Logan in 1999. 

Fantastic contest, which will go down in rugby folklore. And frankly, a reminder that sport makes absolute mugs of us all. The idea of England as World Cup contenders looks ridiculous after yesterday's nonsense; the idea that all Vern Cotter's hard work has been ruined also looks ridiculous now. Roll on the World Cup: it's wide open, all to play for, and if we get another few games half as good as yesterday's, we're in for a treat.

Oh - and huge congrats to Wales. They were the best team in the tournament by quite a distance. Gatland's record is astonishing.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Seymour M Hersh

Blimey! From zeros to heroes in 40 minutes. Gutting to let them off the hook but who would not have taken a draw at half time? Rugby won yesterday. 

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Scotland were incredible; England were laughable. And I, like a good few Englishmen, was rooting for Scotland from about 50 minutes onwards. It was spellbinding stuff.

I disagree that Farrell should've been carded. I can't stand him, he's an arrogant prick - but this is absolute split second stuff, and I thought the ref got it spot on. But I also thought Scotland should have won. That they didn't was a combo of giving away the pen on halfway / not letting us score in the corner / missing way too many kicks at goal. Shades of Kenny Logan in 1999. 

Fantastic contest, which will go down in rugby folklore. And frankly, a reminder that sport makes absolute mugs of us all. The idea of England as World Cup contenders looks ridiculous after yesterday's nonsense; the idea that all Vern Cotter's hard work has been ruined also looks ridiculous now. Roll on the World Cup: it's wide open, all to play for, and if we get another few games half as good as yesterday's, we're in for a treat.

Oh - and huge congrats to Wales. They were the best team in the tournament by quite a distance. Gatland's record is astonishing.

It appeared to be so easy for England, Twickenham was devoid of any atmosphere from 25 minutes or so on until Scotland got right back in to it.

joondalupjambo

Gutted, you should not get in front like that and then give it up, not at that level.   A draw feels like a loss no matter how glorious it was, at least Finn what's his name called it right, he said the same. Typical flaming Scotland.  Why cannot we never win at top level?  Is it just who we are? Do we like to fail?

Not sure who else picked it up but did anyone else hear that Finn guy at full time calling out the coach?   He said along the lines of "I had an argument with Gregor at half time about tactics, he told us to kick everything and all that was happening was they were kicking it back or building attacks from our giving them the ball".   He must have changed tactics due to the chat so guess that is a positive but Wow imagine if a Hearts player in an interview at full time said stuff like that about CL.  He would never play again.  Guess in rugby it is allowed old chap.

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Gutted, you should not get in front like that and then give it up, not at that level.   A draw feels like a loss no matter how glorious it was, at least Finn what's his name called it right, he said the same. Typical flaming Scotland.  Why cannot we never win at top level?  Is it just who we are? Do we like to fail?

Not sure who else picked it up but did anyone else hear that Finn guy at full time calling out the coach?   He said along the lines of "I had an argument with Gregor at half time about tactics, he told us to kick everything and all that was happening was they were kicking it back or building attacks from our giving them the ball".   He must have changed tactics due to the chat so guess that is a positive but Wow imagine if a Hearts player in an interview at full time said stuff like that about CL.  He would never play again.  Guess in rugby it is allowed old chap.

Frankly, if I were a Scotland fan, I'd be delighted arguments were going on in the dressing room at half time. It shows how much the players care; pride in their performance. And that Townsend listened isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of empathy, self-reflection and that he's a good coach.

In 2003, England had a similar set-to after the quarter-final v Wales. The players got a ton of frustration off their chests, then all pulled together. Then the same thing happened to an even greater extent after we lost 36-0 (!) to South Africa four years later. The players basically told Brian Ashton, "none of us have a clue what we're supposed to be doing. What's the plan?" He listened, let the big personalities take over things, and we ended up by some utter miracle in the final.

I felt really proud of that. Not just that we achieved that miracle - but that the players had been smart enough and cared enough to challenge the coach and turn the campaign around. Same with Scotland yesterday, who can take so so much from what they did. The whole experience should make the squad stronger and closer knit, in my view.

joondalupjambo
36 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Frankly, if I were a Scotland fan, I'd be delighted arguments were going on in the dressing room at half time. It shows how much the players care; pride in their performance. And that Townsend listened isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of empathy, self-reflection and that he's a good coach.

In 2003, England had a similar set-to after the quarter-final v Wales. The players got a ton of frustration off their chests, then all pulled together. Then the same thing happened to an even greater extent after we lost 36-0 (!) to South Africa four years later. The players basically told Brian Ashton, "none of us have a clue what we're supposed to be doing. What's the plan?" He listened, let the big personalities take over things, and we ended up by some utter miracle in the final.

I felt really proud of that. Not just that we achieved that miracle - but that the players had been smart enough and cared enough to challenge the coach and turn the campaign around. Same with Scotland yesterday, who can take so so much from what they did. The whole experience should make the squad stronger and closer knit, in my view.

Totally agree with you about allowing arguements within the dressing room and changing tactics but you do not push your coach under the bus on national telly.  That was all I was saying really there.

A day on and I'm more gutted.

We missed 7 points worth of kicks before the last 2 converted tries but I don't think it matters.     The score being 2, 4, 5 or 7 better for Scotland could have affected the course of the game to a different conclusion.    Had we been ahead before the Johnson try,    we may never have scored at all.    

I think Farrell did instinctively protect himself but it probably should still be a card.    A case of protecting himself in a split second without protecting both players.     A bit of a grey area incident.

In hindsight there were other good things for Scotland in the game.    The scrum and lineouts operated very well.    It's especially good to see the scrum dominate England.

Edit.  The pen miss was between try 5 and 6.

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

A day on and I'm more gutted.

We missed 7 points worth of kicks before the last 2 converted tries but I don't think it matters.     The score being 2, 4, 5 or 7 better for Scotland could have affected the course of the game to a different conclusion.    Had we been ahead before the Russell try,    we may never have scored at all.    

I think Farrell did instinctively protect himself but it probably should still be a card.    A case of protecting himself in a split second without protecting both players.     A bit of a grey area incident.

In hindsight there were other good things for Scotland in the game.    The scrum and lineouts operated very well.    It's especially good to see the scrum dominate England.

Yep, instinctive I suppose so but if you work through it stage by stage I'm more convinced it should have been a card.

The game is meant to be about tackling and no arms / shoulders are card offences now.

His first thought is meant to be to tackle.  Not easy naturally, but Graham is running front on so Farrell should be face on tackling and taking the hit or putting his arms up and letting Graham through.

And If he had front on tackled potentially no offence as he would have been  committed, legally.

10 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

why ?

Best not giving him the attention he obviously craves bud.

Some second half performance that. Sickener that we lost that late try but great to retain the cup. First time Scotland have achieved that feat since 1984.

Edited by iantjambo

Record over the last 4 championships.

P 20

W9

D1

L10

Yesterday was 1st game avoided losing away (exc.Italy) since winning away to Wales in 2002.    

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

As Detty's said, though, Farrell was approaching Graham either to tackle him or to charge down the kick. In neither scenario are his arms down by his side and in neither scenario would he be 'protecting himself' - he's trying to take the man out or challenge for the ball.

Farrell's got previous on this but each time, he's got away with it; even celebrating with his team when he got away with it against RSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwgZV_9488

What he did was not remarkably different to what Stuart Hogg did against Dan Biggar when TMO (or big screen replay) turned a yellow into a deserved red.

@shaun.lawson, you're right, he's a horrid, arrogant prick. He's the least 'rugby' man I've met in a rugby team; avoiding supporters when his team goes out to meet them after a match, showing no appreciation for their support. But he's England's star player and, I believe, is given extra protection by some officials.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Record over the last 4 championships.

P 20

W9

D1

L10

Yesterday was 1st game avoided losing away (exc.Italy) since winning away to Wales in 2002.    

We won in Dublin in 2010. Still a very poor away record

Regardless of what happened in the match beforehand, yesterdays climax feels oh so Scottish grasping a defeat/draw from the clutches of victory. You feel like a Wales/Ireland would have managed to grind out those 3 1/2 minutes. I know we were deep in our territory after the restart and those 3 mins would have felt like a lifetime but I thought we should have ran a few more phases and ran down the clock a bit before kicking away

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

6 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

We won in Dublin in 2010. Still a very poor away record

Regardless of what happened in the match beforehand, yesterdays climax feels oh so Scottish grasping a defeat/draw from the clutches of victory. You feel like a Wales/Ireland would have managed to grind out those 3 1/2 minutes. I know we were deep in our territory after the restart and those 3 mins would have felt like a lifetime but I thought we should have ran a few more phases and ran down the clock a bit before kicking away

Yes, missed that one.    20-23.   

"..and there's a race for the line, and it's not going to be won by McInally… " ! :smile:

Fantastic line from one of the finest turnarounds ever.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yes, missed that one.    20-23.   

I didn’t watch til late on yesterday. Only comment i have is at 38-31 with 90seconds left just recycle recycle recyle. Make England make a mistake as they try to get the ball don’t kick it and hand them it back. 

24 minutes ago, sadj said:

I didn’t watch til late on yesterday. Only comment i have is at 38-31 with 90seconds left just recycle recycle recyle. Make England make a mistake as they try to get the ball don’t kick it and hand them it back. 

England had control from the moment they got a penalty at halfway.    Kicked to touch for a lineout just inside the 22.    England won their lineout and attacked for the line.    Scotland coughed up two penalty advantages to effectively give England an insurance policy as they went through the phases for the line.    Scotland had no control over it from the second they gave the pen away on halfway.      They could have allowed England to go in on the left corner and hoped for a missed conversion.     Easier said than done of course.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

England had control from the moment they got a penalty at halfway.    Kicked to touch for a lineout just inside the 22.    England won their lineout and attacked for the line.    Scotland coughed up two penalty advantages to effectively give England an insurance policy as they went through the phases for the line.    Scotland had no control over it from the second they gave the pen away on halfway.      They could have allowed England to go in on the left corner and hoped for a missed conversion.     Easier said than done of course.

Which was after we had stopped recycling and kicked it to touch in Englands half. It was after that lineoit and phases of play England got the penalty and kicked (poorly) to the corner. At that point yes they should of allowed them in the corner and put the pressure on the kicker. We also had a missed tackle on Englands left wing at halfway where they should of bodied the player in to touch not worried about stopping the yardage. 

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Which was after we had stopped recycling and kicked it to touch in Englands half. It was after that lineoit and phases of play England got the penalty and kicked (poorly) to the corner. At that point yes they should of allowed them in the corner and put the pressure on the kicker. We also had a missed tackle on Englands left wing at halfway where they should of bodied the player in to touch not worried about stopping the yardage. 

Yep.  There was a bit of hope for the best instead of being completely clinical.    

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, Boof said:

Card for Farrell without question.

Ref and/or TMO shat it ?

Farrell is the Browny of English rugby. Untouchable.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep.  There was a bit of hope for the best instead of being completely clinical.    

very much , I blame @Glib and Shameless Crier As he bet on the draw to an absolute slaughtering from anyone who watches rugby. If he hadn’t done that we would of won.....

jack D and coke
On 17/03/2019 at 01:05, Cruyff Turn said:

Farrell should 100% been sin binned, it was a no arms tackle leading with his shoulder and high. He deliberately took out Darcy Graham because he was a threat. 

He’s a horrible *****. I really despise that prick I hope he gets a nasty one from someone that ends his career. 

Edited by jack D and coke

19 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

Is it just me, or are people getting a bit over excited about us snatching a draw from the jaws of victory?

At the end of the day Scotland made an arse of it.As did England.

Exciting stuff but really after the great fight back Scotland blew it.

132goals1958
45 minutes ago, benny said:

At the end of the day Scotland made an arse of it.As did England.

Exciting stuff but really after the great fight back Scotland blew it.

At least we now hold the record for the most tries scored against England at Twickers in one game.

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

At least we now hold the record for the most tries scored against England at Twickers in one game.

Quite a few records. 

It is correct the main reaction is disappointment.

Need to beat them next year. 

On 17/03/2019 at 08:34, shaun.lawson said:

Correct.

Have it on very good authority that the tournament England won the World Cup it followed senior players telling Woodward he had to ditch his methods from the quarters on.

Was at the game on Saturday and if anyone doesn’t think that that 80 odd minutes wasn’t sport at its most exciting knows nowt about sport.