Six Nations 2019

ri Alban

PeterintheRain
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ireland did just deserve to win that. 

Scotland's mistakes were part of that. TMO not seeing or not reporting Peter O'Mahony fouling Hogg leading to his injury could have been the key turning point. Clear foul play too. 

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/watch%3A-peter-o'mahony's-hit-that-ended-stuart-hogg's-game/613741

In which case they clearly didn't deserve to win, did they?

Ireland are up their own arses more than wales and a bigger gang of cheats than england, but they get away with it match after match.

If we had a media of our own then they'd have been highlighting the fraudulent match officials for the past 40 years and we'd benefit from a bit more even-handedness.   But we have scum yoons who hate us and want to destroy every facet of an independent Scottish nation.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• letsalldothebeattie

• Victorian

1 minute ago, PeterintheRain said:

Ireland are up their own arses more than wales and a bigger gang of cheats than england, but they get away with it match after match.

If we had a media of our own then they'd have been highlighting the fraudulent match officials for the past 40 years and we'd benefit from a bit more even-handedness.   But we have scum yoons who hate us and want to destroy every facet of an independent Scottish nation.

Said elsewhere 

You're fantasy world is impressive 

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Said elsewhere 

You're fantasy world is impressive 

He has a point though....O'Mahony should have been a yellow and then Ireland don't go on to score the try they did shortly after.

Referee/TMO should be heavily criticized for that alone never mind the ref's general performance.

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

You’re on fire today.

The Bookkeeper
On 02/02/2019 at 16:22, The Bookkeeper said:

1983 since we won there. 

I don't think the Ireland result is a good one for Scotland and expect us to feel a backlash next Saturday. Can see today being Scotland's only win though I do think we have a chance of breaking our duck in Paris (not won there since 1999). 

As I anticipated Ireland too strong on the day. They showed more desperation without being great themselves after their defeat last weekend. What today did show us is that if we play our A game and cut out the sloppy and needless mistakes we can beat this team in the World Cup but we have to turn up and play error free rugby and score more points when given the opportunity. 

I can see the Italy win being our only one of the tournament though I do think we have the opportunity to run the French close in Paris. 

I thought when the ref went to the TMO for the Scottish 'try' he asked about a possible knock on not a forward pass.

It was the TMO's decision to take the action all the way back to the forward pass. The ref didn't ask for that so couldn't be shown it is my understanding of how the rule operates.

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

We've gone backwards under Townsend imo.

this in spades, cotter got all the basics instilled and rooted out the mistakes, townsends brought them all back

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

I thought when the ref went to the TMO for the Scottish 'try' he asked about a possible knock on not a forward pass.

It was the TMO's decision to take the action all the way back to the forward pass. The ref didn't ask for that so couldn't be shown it is my understanding of how the rule operates.

wtf was that all about, ref asked to check if it was a knock on by scotland or if it came of the irish player and not what the TMO checked. it was touched by the irish player, whether the ball was  downed in field is debateable but still a farce of a call.

our own worst enemy as usual though, ****in mistakes killed us.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Scotland just seem to go through the same cycle year after year - little flashes of promise, followed by inevitable regression and all the time remaining on much the same keel that we've been on for 20 years. We'll play a part at the World Cup but we won't make a huge impact, sadly. We don't have the same drive to win games.

2 hours ago, The Bookkeeper said:

As I anticipated Ireland too strong on the day. They showed more desperation without being great themselves after their defeat last weekend. What today did show us is that if we play our A game and cut out the sloppy and needless mistakes we can beat this team in the World Cup but we have to turn up and play error free rugby and score more points when given the opportunity. 

The above assumes that Ireland will play as poorly as they did today.  What if they bring their A game as well?

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The above assumes that Ireland will play as poorly as they did today.  What if they bring their A game as well?

I don't think there is much between the sides if they both play their A game.

Scotland should put on a better show than that at Murrayfield though.

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't think there is much between the sides if they both play their A game.

I think there is.  Ireland are off form though.  Definitely something missing.

The Bookkeeper
58 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Definitely some validity to that. I think Ireland will play a very similar game though regardless of personnel and I'm not sure how expansive they can be. Scotland simply must cut out the errors against the elite opposition, we've got closer but we need to play near flawlessly to beat the big guns. We can certainly play better than we did today and were in the game for the vast majority of the match. I'm realistic about our chances, see my post after last week predicting it would be the only win but I'm also hopeful we might peak at the right time in the Autumn whilst perhaps the likes of the Irish are slightly past their best as a team. We shall see!

Why is nothing being made of the fact the pass for Ireland’s 3rd try went about 5 yards forward???

When Carberry drew the men, he was about 5 metres inside the 22. The ball was caught by Earls just in front of the line which comes out from the 5 metre line, so 10 metres from the try line

Scotland did themselves no favours with some basic errors and stupid penalties, but the no call for the hit on Hogg followed by the forward pass for the 1st try, and then ignoring the blatant forward pass for the 3rd just because there was no camera in line with it were shocking errors by the officials that cost Scotland the game

44 minutes ago, The Bookkeeper said:

....whilst perhaps the likes of the Irish are slightly past their best as a team...

That could well be the case.  There's definitely something not quite right.  Sounds mad to say that just after an away win, but there it is.

13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I think there is.  Ireland are off form though.  Definitely something missing.

Missing that hunger to be seen as one of best in the world.

Downward path from the win over New Zealand.  

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, Barack said:

No bonus point for Wales.

Hopefully Gatland's ego, means Wales lose out on the 6 Nation's by that solitary lost point.

Can't wait until he's gone. Arrogant twat.

Can't stand him. Seems to have a real bee in his bonnet about Scottish Rugby. 

Felt we left loads of points out there.

Too many basic errors. Across Edunburgh, Glasgow and the national team we have a great rolling maul but the line out continues to be awful.

Also it is a downside of being expansive and the number of delayed and flat passes but we also give away too many forward ones.

Yesterday, Ireland pretty much took every opportunity that came there way.

That said, unless Ireland find their fire again, there is stuff for us to work on ahead of meeting them again in Japan*

Or Stockdale gets injured.

*Both Scotland and Ireland need to be very wary of Japan.

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Looks like England will be unstoppable if the result against France is anything to go by. 

They are, unfortunately the best team in the Northern Hemisphere by a fair margin. Much as I would love my Wales to do em I just can't see it

The Bookkeeper
23 hours ago, Barack said:

Oddly enough; I still think we'll beat France over in Paris. 

If Wales don't beat England, and assuming France don't...then the Grand Slam is their baby. Two games against us & Italy. At Twickenham...? Home bankers. By bonus points.

Again though, I've a sneaky feeling for the French tomorrow. 

Guid prediction for today :rofl:

Not sure if the French getting emptied like that was good news or bad news for Scotland. Can see them make plenty changes and with backs against the wall they might be far more dangerous than they would have been.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

England looked really good yesterday.

just an aside though - that try from Farrell late on was a blatant knock on. It’s amazing the number of dodgy TMO decisions England get when they play at Twickenham. 

The Old Tolbooth

England always seem to peak right before a World Cup, I fancy them for the Grand Slam now as the only side I can see stopping them would be Wales, and that's a big ask. Only New Zealand are better than England right now in World rugby. 

12 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

England always seem to peak right before a World Cup, I fancy them for the Grand Slam now as the only side I can see stopping them would be Wales, and that's a big ask. Only New Zealand are better than England right now in World rugby. 

They're good, but they're not that good. Scotland will do them.

The Old Tolbooth
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They're good, but they're not that good. Scotland will do them.

I'd like to believe that, but we really won't do them at Twickenham, we haven't won there since the early 80's when we had a very good team, the self belief when we go away from home is non existent, and we've went backwards under Toony. 

5 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'd like to believe that, but we really won't do them at Twickenham, we haven't won there since the early 80's when we had a very good team, the self belief when we go away from home is non existent, and we've went backwards under Toony. 

I can dream. ?

8 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

Stuart Hogg out for the rest of the tournament

He's quite brittle the boy. Made of chocolate.

9 hours ago, Adam Murray said:

Stuart Hogg out for the rest of the tournament

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

He's quite brittle the boy. Made of chocolate.

He's recovered pretty well from injuries previously quicker than expected. Rugby is pretty brutal these days. 

The TMO system works really well in rugby and the nature and dynamics of the game are well suited to the reviewing process.    By and large it works.     But in a game where very little is missed,    it's quite remarkable how often Scotland has fallen victim to rare lapses.      

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The TMO system works really well in rugby and the nature and dynamics of the game are well suited to the reviewing process.    By and large it works.     But in a game where very little is missed,    it's quite remarkable how often Scotland has fallen victim to rare lapses.      

Referees were specifically asked just before the 6 Nations not to use the TMO unless absolutely necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Referees were specifically asked just before the 6 Nations not to use the TMO unless absolutely necessary. 

Interesting decision.    The referee can't see everything of course.     Setting some kind of embargo on the use of it can really only lead to an inherent,  subjective flaw in the system.     The TMO is much better placed to review things not immediately picked up by the referee and to proactively alert the referee to either discuss over the mic or review on screen.

It was working very well for the most part.    Limiting referees' use of it will lead to inconsistency and subjective errors.     

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I guess in that instance it was absolutely necessary as foul play occurred and the ref made the wrong decision.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Which leaves the massive problem of referees making subjective calls on necessity.

13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

He's recovered pretty well from injuries previously quicker than expected. Rugby is pretty brutal these days. 

I hope so, because he's world class.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Which leaves the massive problem of referees making subjective calls on necessity.

Which means the diddie teams get nothing.

Looking at tickets for the England  Scotland game, prices from 400 to 800 pounds.

Whats that all about, seem to charge what they want, mind you if folk pay the prices

they will still charge this .

For the record , i have no interest in going, could buy 2 top of the range golf clubs for that money.

I think the guys that are coming in for Scotland could do well. Hopefully the overall system and attacking flair will still show.

Could be a good platform for the rest of the year. 

Or we're heading for disappointment. 

On 10/02/2019 at 20:41, Jamhammer said:

They are, unfortunately the best team in the Northern Hemisphere by a fair margin. Much as I would love my Wales to do em I just can't see it

Worth a wee bump.

On 10/02/2019 at 20:41, Jamhammer said:

Double post.

Edited by graygo