Six Nations 2019

ri Alban

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Townsend should be seething with that last 10.

This. To concede 17 points in that period is criminal. You lose a player and you might concede one but that was really bad. 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• letsalldothebeattie

• Victorian

Score flattered Italy. We should have been about 50 points ahead. Hogg's try should have stood. Think the ref felt sorry for them. 

Gilberts Fridge

I think England have been hard done by Garces, not a yellow, penalty perhaps. Also was not a double movement. Ireland appear to be getting away with not rolling from any tackle as well

3 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

I think England have been hard done by Garces, not a yellow, penalty perhaps. Also was not a double movement. Ireland appear to be getting away with not rolling from any tackle as well

So how did he get over the line - it was a double movement. Even the commentators agreed. He stopped and then he pushed himself over. 

Gilberts Fridge

Because he was driving from his feet not the knees as part of the contact. Also if it was a penalty for Ireland offside at the ruck should a penalty try not come in to it. I think Garces coms during the game have been poor

letsalldothebeattie
28 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

It was a double movement if it wasn’t he wouldn’t have got over the line for the try

21 minutes ago, Barack said:

England showing how to play Ireland.

Territory, territory. And smashing **** out of them, of course...

Agreed, but it is dire to watch. 

Calcutta cup decider for the grand slam. Pity it's at Twickenham.

Edited by ri Alban

The Bookkeeper
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Calcutta cup decider for the grand slam. Pity it's at Twickenham.

1983 since we won there. 

I don't think the Ireland result is a good one for Scotland and expect us to feel a backlash next Saturday. Can see today being Scotland's only win though I do think we have a chance of breaking our duck in Paris (not won there since 1999). 

I P Knightley

I agree that the obstruction call for Hogg's run was probably a sympathy call. Looked like a 50:50 bit of bumping. However, I felt from there that the Scots switched off a little and lost momentum so it was quite significant. 

Thought Ireland were dire. They had two ideas from the rucks: up a fat lad's jumper or a box kick to May - big, safe under the high ball, May.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I thought Scotland made the changes too early yesterday and it interrupted the firm grip we had on the game around the hour mark.

There was too much congratulating ourselves on a job well done at that point as well. To beat Ireland we will have to keep the strongest team on the pitch for as long as we safely can unless injuries are a factor.

13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

What a fantastic day, great atmosphere and result, sat next to a couple of jambos and had great crack. 

Talking of Hearts. I see that Blair Kinghorn was at Hearts academy before switching to rugby. He came across as a decent lad in his post match interview. 

Seymour M Hersh
20 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Harsh obstruction call 

Agreed thought it was a wrong call. Can you get the TMO involved in these calls? If you can why didn't the referee do that?

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

I agree that the obstruction call for Hogg's run was probably a sympathy call. Looked like a 50:50 bit of bumping. However, I felt from there that the Scots switched off a little and lost momentum so it was quite significant. 

Thought Ireland were dire. They had two ideas from the rucks: up a fat lad's jumper or a box kick to May - big, safe under the high ball, May.

:rofl:

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Agreed thought it was a wrong call. Can you get the TMO involved in these calls? If you can why didn't the referee do that?

Surely in that case it involved a potential try so the TMO should have been brought in.

1 hour ago, pablo said:

Talking of Hearts. I see that Blair Kinghorn was at Hearts academy before switching to rugby. He came across as a decent lad in his post match interview. 

So a Jambo scored a hat trick yesterday ?

letsalldothebeattie
25 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Given they get involved for big decisions for a Try & this ended with Hogg going over, i was amazed he never asked for TMO to just have a look at it. Wouldn’t have taken long and if the TMO agreed with the ref then fair enough. It’s maybe one of those where if the TMO gets involved where does it end with them being asked to check things

16 minutes ago, whodanny said:

So a Jambo scored a hat trick yesterday ?

Don't know if he's one of us or not, but his wee shimmy, drop of the shoulder dummy for one try, had a touch of football winger about it.

I'm watching the Ireland v England game from yesterday and one the struck me and Mrs Dawnrazor, the Ireland team have to be the ugliest team ever, they look like the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest! 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
16 hours ago, The Bookkeeper said:

1983 since we won there. 

I don't think the Ireland result is a good one for Scotland and expect us to feel a backlash next Saturday. Can see today being Scotland's only win though I do think we have a chance of breaking our duck in Paris (not won there since 1999). 

I think our away form is always likely to let us down and mean that 3 wins and 3/4 place is our best hope until we break some of these hoodoos in Paris London and Cardiff. haven’t won an away six nations match that wasn’t in Rome in nearly a decade I.e. since Dan Parks scored the last minute pen at Croke Park in 2010.

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, whodanny said:

Surely in that case it involved a potential try so the TMO should have been brought in.

That' what I thought but I'm no expert on the rules of TMO.

Think the referee blew the whistle before Hogg had crossed the line, so even it the TMO had had a look at it, it wouldn't have been given as a try. The ref should really have let it play out then go back and see if there was obstruction, that way it probably would have been given as a try.

7 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Think the referee blew the whistle before Hogg had crossed the line, so even it the TMO had had a look at it, it wouldn't have been given as a try. The ref should really have let it play out then go back and see if there was obstruction, that way it probably would have been given as a try.

Correct. 

Ref blew immediately. 

Not like other TMO situations quoted. Italian players could have stopped playing. 

Gamesmanship by the Italian which is disappointing. 

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Sad to see Ireland thumped by the residency XV.

To a greater or lesser degree all the home nations are at it. 

6 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Sad to see Ireland thumped by the residency XV.

Eh?

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

To a greater or lesser degree all the home nations are at it. 

Yep.  Ireland, England and Wales have about the same number of foreign-born players, and Scotland have more than any of those.

About 22% of the players who played in the 2015 World Cup were born in a different country to the one they represented at the competition.  The only country who took part in that tournament with all "home-born" players was Argentina.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rwc-over-20-per-cent-of-players-not-born-in-country-1.2388603

5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Eh?

Yep.  Ireland, England and Wales have about the same number of foreign-born players, and Scotland have more than any of those.

About 22% of the players who played in the 2015 World Cup were born in a different country to the one they represented at the competition.  The only country who took part in that tournament with all "home-born" players was Argentina.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/rwc-over-20-per-cent-of-players-not-born-in-country-1.2388603

How many residential players tho, Scotland has the least. 

Seymour M Hersh
50 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Don't think the graph takes into account parentage or grandparents etc.

I thought that myself. It's a bit misleading but there's no doubt we as a country have taken advantage of residency and every other rule to gain players. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Team for Sat

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/19/02/07/four-changes-scotland-pursue-best-ever-performance

Saturday 9 February, kick-off 2.15pm – live on BBC

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 66 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 47 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 37 caps

10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 41 caps
9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) – 67 caps

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
2. Stuart McInally VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 23 caps
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 47 caps
6. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
8. Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks) – 18 caps

Substitutes
16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
18. D’arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
20. Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 8 caps

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Team for Sat

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/19/02/07/four-changes-scotland-pursue-best-ever-performance

Saturday 9 February, kick-off 2.15pm – live on BBC

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 66 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 47 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 37 caps

10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 41 caps
9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) – 67 caps

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
2. Stuart McInally VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 23 caps
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 47 caps
6. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
8. Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks) – 18 caps

Substitutes
16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
18. D’arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
20. Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 8 caps

I'd have preferred to see Kinghorn in the starting XV. Not because he ran in three tries last week (Maitland or Seymour would have got them too on that wing) but more to field the box kicks from Conor Murray. Last week, May was snaffling them up without any bother; Kinghorn's a big fella who looks very confident under the high ball and I think he'd nullify the box kcik better than Maitland.

Otherwise, that's a good line up. Looking forward to it.