Six Nations 2019

ri Alban

Not long now til the juggernauts of the Northern Hemisphere collide.

So who's everyones picks?

I'll go with Ireland, with England hot on their heels. Hopefully Scotland will turn up, as I think we're some team when we do. A strong 3rd for us. But my shock pick is France for the wooden spoon.

A bit early, but I'm bored with politics.

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• letsalldothebeattie

• Victorian

Wales to finish second behind Ireland as they have Ireland and England at home. England third closely followed by Scotland then France and Italy to continue being bollocks. 

No grand slam this year. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, The Brow said:

Wales to finish second behind Ireland as they have Ireland and England at home. England third closely followed by Scotland then France and Italy to continue being bollocks. 

No grand slam this year. 

I think that Wales v Ireland on the last day of the tourney will be a grand slam decider. I'd have Ireland slightly favoured to win that but suspect it will depend on injuries through the tourney and Wales tend to suffer more from those than the paddies. Mind you, the Taffs give their team a strong home lift. It'll be a good 'un.

On the same day, Scotland will be at Twickenham to fight out for third place. It would be amazing if we were to get a result there but England have too much strength in depth. But it would be funny if we snuck it. The ensuing meltdown at "HQ" would be brilliant - especially given that it's a World Cup year. Shame that they have such a straightforward RWC group...

Ireland to win. 

We got tickets for the Scotland v Itlay game, never been to a rugby International so I'm really looking forward to it, when my son got the tickets in his Christmas card he cried❤️?

Edit. 

Because he really wanted to go before anyone starts?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

England and Ireland will do well warming up for the World Cup.

hard to know with scotland. For years now, the suggestions of progress never last

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ireland to win. 

We got tickets for the Scotland v Itlay game, never been to a rugby International so I'm really looking forward to it, when my son got the tickets in his Christmas card he cried❤️?

Edit. 

Nice one!

I've not been at an international in years but, throughout my childhood, since the age of about 8, through to late teens, never missed a single match at Murrayfield. Always a great day out and many happy memories.

My Christmas card had tickets for the English premier league final thingy at Twickenham. I didn't cry but the son who gave it to me was smiling a lot more than I was, thinking he'll be my plus one - I could still make him cry if needed :)

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

As long as their home fixtures are on a different day than a Hearts home game, 

Scotland to win the group.

No clash this time on Scotland home games yet. Scottish Cup could clash with Ireland game 9 Feb. The week before (Italy) we played away to Kilmarnock on the Friday. 

Wales 9 Mar we are due to play Dundee away. 

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/fixtures/

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/fixtures/first-team/fixtures-and-results

Edited by Mikey1874

Been to 3 5 nations fixtures - all at Murrayfield.

Lost to Wales.

Lost to Ireland.

Lost to England.

Stopped going ?

If Wales have England and Ireland at home then I think they are an excellent bet to win.     Triple crown and Grand Slam are decent possibilities.

5/1 championship

12/1 slam

Interesting.

43 minutes ago, Boof said:

Lost to Wales.

Lost to Ireland.

Lost to England.

Stopped going ?

That's why we got tickets for the Italy game, better chance of a win! 

When I took him to his first Hearts game at Tynecastle I took him when we played St Johnstone, we'll cuff St Johnstone I said.............. we got beat two nil???

11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ireland to win. 

Edit. 

Don't worry, you will enjoy the day out.

Outwith the bloody mexican wave 6 nations rugby live is brilliant - as long as Scotland don't get pumped - which they shouldn't by Italy.

The vastness of Murrayfield doesnt help the Edinburgh Rugby atmosphere, but hopefully the new smaller stadium will help.

Never been to Scotstoun but Warriors virtually sell out every match and looks a great day out too.  

2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Don't worry, you will enjoy the day out.

Outwith the bloody mexican wave 6 nations rugby live is brilliant - as long as Scotland don't get pumped - which they shouldn't by Italy.

The vastness of Murrayfield doesnt help the Edinburgh Rugby atmosphere, but hopefully the new smaller stadium will help.

Never been to Scotstoun but Warriors virtually sell out every match and looks a great day out too.  

?

As a PS if anyone can gets hands on 2 tickets for the Ireland game on 9th please pm me.

Pretty much would have to be at face value, plus any reasonable additional costs.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

If Wales have England and Ireland at home then I think they are an excellent bet to win.     Triple crown and Grand Slam are decent possibilities.

5/1 championship

12/1 slam

Interesting.

Halfpenny long term concussion rules him out of the opener against France away but they have more than enough decent cover plus Biggar is a superb kicker. Liam Williams is back playing so it looks good for a welsh assault. 

Captain Sausage

Our home form and the fact we’ve got 3 matches at Murrayfield make this year possible for improvement on last years joint second. 

Wales, Ireland and Italy at home. 

France and England away.

I’d expect us to win 3 of those, it’s whether Scotland (read: Hogg) can repeat the performance of two years ago against Ireland that’ll decide our position. Win that and I think we’d have a real shot at the title. 

10 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's why we got tickets for the Italy game, better chance of a win! 

When I took him to his first Hearts game at Tynecastle I took him when we played St Johnstone, we'll cuff St Johnstone I said.............. we got beat two nil???

Easy there Dawn. I was more into rugby than football at the time, took my (now) ex to her first rugby game: Scotland v Italy at Murrayfield, we got beat, ended up with the wooden spoon that year. 

Only a few hundred yards away, Hearts were giving Cowdenbeath the 10 goal dry boaby. I've never forgiven myself 

All roads lead to Gorgie
13 hours ago, Boof said:

Lost to Wales.

Lost to Ireland.

Lost to England.

Stopped going ?

Wise decision ?

Mon the Wales! We’re doing the reverse trip to Cardiff when Wales are up here. 

We go down every year. Friday night in Caerphilly and Sat in Cardiff. Always a top weekend

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have a nagging feeling Scotland are going to do badly this time. 

The opposite to my usual optimism so maybe we might just do something unexpected. Fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Wise decision ?

Just remembered - went to see Edinburgh - Cardiff a few years ago. 

Cardiff won.

Thank feck I wasn't in Edinburgh when Hearts were playing at Murrayfield :lol: 

All roads lead to Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Boof said:

Just remembered - went to see Edinburgh - Cardiff a few years ago. 

Cardiff won.

Thank feck I wasn't in Edinburgh when Hearts were playing at Murrayfield :lol: 

I should have given Murrayfield a wide berth as well as far as Hearts are concerned :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Likely to be Munster or Exeter for Edinburgh.

Very difficult games, and I'd say Edinburgh wouldn't be favourites but neither will welome playing at Murrayfield.

Quarter final weekend is same weekend as we play Aberdeen at home.

Hopefully not a clash so I can get to both.

Edited by DETTY29

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wee boost for Scotland both Edinburgh and Glasgow qualifying for European Champions Cup quarter finals. 

I wasn't a fan of the 2 team system. But it has actually helped us. Congratulations to both teams.

JH is getting back to his best so I believe. Tough man, just a what we need. We also need a bruiser of a ball carrier but not sure we have one and going to miss Barclay.

26 minutes ago, Barack said:

:lol:

What's that now, 20 injured players? 

Luckily enough, Hardie is also world-class.

Yep

John Barclay (Edinburgh), Mark Bennett (Edinburgh), Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Lewis Carmichael (Edinburgh), David Denton (Leicester Tigers), Cornell Du Preez (Worcester Warriors), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Toulouse), Luke Hamilton (Edinburgh), Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh), Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks), Matt Scott (Edinburgh), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Blade Thomson (Scarlets), George Turner (Glasgow Warriors), Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons)

Plus Watson

11 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

JH is getting back to his best so I believe. Tough man, just a what we need. We also need a bruiser of a ball carrier but not sure we have one and going to miss Barclay.

Look out for Sam Skinner carrying on from his good performances in the Autumn Internationals, definitely one to watch.

Have a sneaky feeling that we will beat England at Twickenham this year.

Just booked plans with a French pal/former flatmate here in Edinburgh to go to the France v Scotland game at Stade de France. After doing his internship he headed back to Montpellier, then moved to Paris for work, so I try to visit any chance I get. Looking forward to my first rugby match!

11 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Stade de France is a great stadium. Did  the tour a few years ago and watched a Golden League Athletics Meet with 70,000 in the stadium. 

Great view from all parts of the Stadium.

Have a great time, Justin. 

Cheers Jonno, I'm really grateful to have the chance to attend. Times like these I realise how lucky I am to have had the chance to spend such a substantial part of my life a third of the way around the world from where I'm from. Really looking forward to it.

letsalldothebeattie

We start off with Italy & Ireland at home a good chance for us to get off to a flying start. Despite the injuries Townsend has still named a very good squad capable of beating anyone of the teams in the tournament. Scottish Rugby is on a high at the minute the national side is doing well, the two pro teams are doing well now both through to the Quarters of the Champions cup so plenty to be positive about.

Im not saying we will win the tournament but if we can beat Italy then Ireland at Murrayfield we will be in a really good position going into the remaining games. 

On 09/01/2019 at 14:37, Jamhammer said:

Mon the Wales! We’re doing the reverse trip to Cardiff when Wales are up here. 

We go down every year. Friday night in Caerphilly and Sat in Cardiff. Always a top weekend

Can't understand why we can't beat Wales and lose to them so often. They're not that great. 

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Can't understand why we can't beat Wales and lose to them so often. They're not that great. 

Compared to when I was at school in the 70s they’re no.

Not sure what to make of Scotland's chances this year.

There is so much to be optimistic about with Scottish rugby at the moment (having both Edinburgh and Glasgow reach the knockouts of Champions Cup being the obvious standout). There are a load of Scottish guys in the Edinburgh team who have improved massively in the last 18 months, and I think guys like D'Arcy Graham and Blair Kinghorn could have big parts to play during the tournament. Having said that, I think a significant portion of Edinburgh's success is down to 2 non-Scots in their fantastic coach and Bill Mata (who is truly world class). 

3 home games is obviously an advantage, and a win in France is not out the question (especially after away wins in France this year for both club sides). But I can't see us beating Ireland even with home advantage, and I also think we'll struggle at Twickenham. 

Under Townsend Scotland have been amazing to watch at times, and at other times a bit of a shambles. I hope we have a bit more of a plan B this year so that if the expansive, easy on the eye stuff isn't working (or Russell has one of his off-days), we play a bit more ugly rugby. 

I'll go for wins against Wales, Italy and France. Losses to England and Ireland. Ireland to win the 6N again, though no grand slam. 

On 21/01/2019 at 19:31, Roxy Hearts said:

You what? 

This autumn they beat Scotland, Australia and South Africa. 

Last year they werent up to their own standards but they still stuck 37 points on us. 

Theyve won 3 Grand Slams in the 2000s to go with a further win in 2013. 

At what point werent they far better than us? The mid 90s? 

5 hours ago, The Brow said:

You what? 

This autumn they beat Scotland, Australia and South Africa. 

Last year they werent up to their own standards but they still stuck 37 points on us. 

Theyve won 3 Grand Slams in the 2000s to go with a further win in 2013. 

At what point werent they far better than us? The mid 90s? 

?  Baaaaaaa!

24 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

A few days ago that Rachel Burden erse said the didn't mean to offend anyone but that the opener between Ireland and England was the big one and the decider or words to that effect. She is the twat that talks over people and gets on my tits frankly. 

Yeah

And the reason it's not a decider is because England haven't been that good. 

Hard for a lot of the English media to accept that. 

The White Cockade

Ireland/England/Wales to contest the top 3

Scotland/France/Italy battle it out for bottom spot

Was confident about our chances last year but not so much this year

Not sure why as mostly same squad but we need Hogg/Russell/Huw Jones etc fully fit and on top form

Need our top boys to stay fit as don't have the depth of quality players that the others have

Bring back Vern Cotter. The worst decision ever, letting him go.

Edited by ri Alban

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

A few days ago that Rachel Burden erse said the didn't mean to offend anyone but that the opener between Ireland and England was the big one and the decider or words to that effect. She is the twat that talks over people and gets on my tits frankly. 

Nicky Campbell takes the p out of Scotland,  but you know 100% where his loyalties lie.

Mind you, he probably gets paid whacks more than Burden.

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Apparently she is half Irish half English and wants them both to win. 

Probably thinks it can happen as well. 

Im' heading to Dublin in the morning, not for the rugby specifically but i'll take it in whilst there.  Saturday should be fun :/

3 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Scotland team for the opener

2C332012-9855-4F91-A64D-A6D4BBD41568.jpeg

Is Hardie injured?

Not considered versatile enough?

Maitland being injured is a blow.

letsalldothebeattie
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Is Hardie injured?

Not considered versatile enough?

Maitland being injured is a blow.

Hardie not listed as injured so think he just misses out & given Ritchie’s form for Edinburgh think it’s the right choice. 

Losing Maitland is a blow but think we have enough to get past Italy