'Sober October'..... 'Dry January' etc

Erik

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I noticed an article headline in the paper the other day (although I never read it tbf) saying it can do you more harm than good to your liver. 

9iYc.gif

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, El Diez said:

Whoooooooooooossshhhhhhh

Never mind. ?

Since there is zero narrative included it's a little difficult to accurately decipher the gif. 

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Since there is zero narrative included it's a little difficult to accurately decipher the gif. 

One look at my earlier posts on the subject would have explained what was meant with the gif.

Anyway never mind, it’s past my bedtime ?

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, El Diez said:

One look at my earlier posts on the subject would have explained what was meant with the gif.

Anyway never mind, it’s past my bedtime ?

Actually I didn't read any of your posts. In fact I didn't read any of them bar the OP.

Sleep tight little one and don't let the bed bugs bite! :laugh:

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I disagree, I'd far rather have one of them than a pint of coke. Some of them are decent, especially the wheat ones.

I tried the Franziskaner alcohol free once, never again, it was awful.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've meant to ask for ages - did your avatar get corrupted or something?

Must have been quite a while back, there was a poster making some anti-Polish statements, particularly about Rafał Grzelak, which I called them out on (along with the support from a well respected presidential JKB member) so my avatar was an act of solidarity :lol:

Keep meaning to change it! 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Bitburger Drive is alright if you like Bitburger. Erdinger Frei is also not bad. 

I like Bitburger but it tastes so much better in Germany when its getting used to wash down a bratwurst

8 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Ha! That is me on the ground, just off the 26 bus the day of our 2012 Cup parade, spewing my ring everywhere. The lady with the scarf is my mates wife taking the piss out of me, my mate is taking the picture. 

I used to have Norm from cheers as my avatar but I think there was some sort of challenge on here for people to upload themselves as their avatar picture, so I duly obliged. 

A strong contender for Post of the Year 2019, already :lol:

Brilliant! 

Btw, just wanted to share that I've ****ed it already.

Not only am I off my high horse, I think it might have succumbed to alcohol poisoning and died. 

:cheers:

Erik has nae mates since he dropped them for his burd. 

Shame. 

Once you're married you'll probably need to drink Erik. If you have kids, you'll definitely need more than one. 

I am doing dry January as I hope it will help kick start a healthier lifestyle for me. The last 2 years or so have been horrendous due to severe illness to a close relative which I admit has resulted in me drinking to much. 

I personally feel that if I can do it, then it will help me turn things around and stick to just a few drinks at the weekend.

As for the OP, you’re obviously so far up your own arse to understand why some folk choose to do it and come across as completely ignorant. 

Quite happy to concede there will be folk who do benefit from this. More power to them. 

But i guess I’m basing my opinions of it from my own experiences of it and the folk I’ve known to partake in it who do it Steph for jumping on the bandwagon - something for them to make a fuss over about pointing out to all in sundry about what they are doing. The kinda folk doing it for the wrong reasons if you like - who will inevitably revert to form come the 1st Feb. That’s probably more what I’m aiming this at. 

If if you do this and it results in a long term change for the better, fair play. 

Personally, I’d suggest there are better ways of doing it - cutting down and everything in moderation is generally conceived to be a better strategy than just abstaining for a month, but like I say - if it does work for you then fair enough. 

Thats about as fair air as I can be without rising to petulant comments about having no mates or being ignorant or whatever else has been directed at me as a result. 

Over and out - enjoy your January folks, wet, dry, sober drunk or otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Quite happy to concede there will be folk who do benefit from this. More power to them. 

But i guess I’m basing my opinions of it from my own experiences of it and the folk I’ve known to partake in it who do it Steph for jumping on the bandwagon - something for them to make a fuss over about pointing out to all in sundry about what they are doing. The kinda folk doing it for the wrong reasons if you like - who will inevitably revert to form come the 1st Feb. That’s probably more what I’m aiming this at. 

If if you do this and it results in a long term change for the better, fair play. 

Personally, I’d suggest there are better ways of doing it - cutting down and everything in moderation is generally conceived to be a better strategy than just abstaining for a month, but like I say - if it does work for you then fair enough. 

Thats about as fair air as I can be without rising to petulant comments about having no mates or being ignorant or whatever else has been directed at me as a result. 

? Here, you'll probably need this.

16 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That article doesn't say anything about it doing any harm! It's definitely good for you to give up for a month.

I felt so much better after 3 weeks in. Much better sleeping, much more on the ball at work. Dunno why I went back to drinking actually, and that seems to be the point of the article

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, tian447 said:

Not only am I off my high horse, I think it might have succumbed to alcohol poisoning and died. 

:cheers:

Posting from beyond the grave. Now that's impressive. :cheers:

3 hours ago, Erik said:

Cheers. :thumb:

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

? Here, you'll probably need this.

Oh aussieh :lol:

19 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I noticed an article headline in the paper the other day (although I never read it tbf) saying it can do you more harm than good to your liver. 

If you are a heavy drinker, stopping suddenly can cause  a stroke.

See your doctor for medication, embarrassing to admit it's a problem, but doctors don't embarrass easily.

AlphonseCapone
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

I understand the OP, but if it helps folk cut down a bit, that's not a bad thing. I similarly cannot be arsed with that kind of "look at me" guff, but that's why I don't use Facebook , Instant gram or Twitter. 

Tried  cutting down after getting wasted on Hogmanay (was given 18% lager - tastes as bad as it sounds), but was forced into Bai jiu (Chinese spirit) toasts last night. Will probably do no more than a glass of red with appropriate meals for a couple of months.

You mean paint stripper? The stuff is deadly. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

At my big brothers last night, best hobo i know, love him to bits, im wrecked today.

Enjoy your hair of the dog today ??

Harry Potter
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Enjoy your hair of the dog today ??

Aye mate, was good catching up with my brothers, more since dad died.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye mate, was good catching up with my brothers, more since dad died.

That’s good because sometimes family can be a pain.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s good because sometimes family can be a pain.

Big brother was out of touch with dad for 18 years but we realise now as brothers we have to stick together.

thanks for the reply bud.

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Big brother was out of touch with dad for 18 years but we realise now as brothers we have to stick together.

thanks for the reply bud.

Your welcome.

JudyJudyJudy
On 05/01/2019 at 09:52, Erik said:

Yeah I know where you are coming from . its that strange phenomena called " slacktivism".  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacktivism

People wanting their ego stroked and applause for actually just being sensible about their health or any other issue ?  Narcissism. Nothing wrong with cutting down on the booze.  But studies show that these " 1 months dry" never really work and can actually be dangerous for some people who may hit the bottle hard after being off it for a while..a la Amy Winehouse.  I tend to drink once per week.  I can go literally weeks without it. Think the longest has been 3 months.  And no im not wanting my ego stroked or anything else   :)