'Sober October'..... 'Dry January' etc

Erik

What an embarrassment the fuss that gets made over stuff like this.

The fact we as a country are ready to pat folk on the back and even sponsor folk for the 'challenge' of going four whole weekends without drinking probably goes a long way to explaining the mess society in so littered with fat lazy alky sods.

If you really consider going 4 weeks without a drink as some sort of major achievement in your life or wear it as a badge of honour or worse still, if you're the kinda person who CANT go 4 weekends on the trot without a bevy - I suspect you've probably got bigger issues to be pondering over.

If it weren't for the fact I've got the small matter of getting married in September to deal with - I could probably quite happily commit to being dry for 2019 as a whole, never mind 4 measly months of it. And I write that as someone who not so long ago woulda been one of the biggest pissheads going.

4 whole weekends without a drink, no really, well done guys..... :cornette:

51 minutes ago, Erik said:

The fact we as a country are ready to pat folk on the back and even sponsor folk for the 'challenge' of going four whole weekends without drinking probably goes a long way to explaining the mess society in so littered with fat lazy alky sods.

If you really consider going 4 weeks without a drink as some sort of major achievement in your life or wear it as a badge of honour or worse still, if you're the kinda person who CANT go 4 weekends on the trot without a bevy - I suspect you've probably got bigger issues to be pondering over.

If it weren't for the fact I've got the small matter of getting married in September to deal with - I could probably quite happily commit to being dry for 2019 as a whole, never mind 4 measly months of it. And I write that as someone who not so long ago woulda been one of the biggest pissheads going.

Do u think folk just drink/smoke dope/pop pills at the weekend. Any cause that puts people on the road to health is great, and the only facepalm belongs to cynics, like you.

So here .

::facepaw::

And I can hear your trumpet Fae here. Nothing worse than someone who blows their own trumpet.

Edited by ri Alban

Its not about blowing my own trumpet or being 'as good as me'.

Its about the simple fact that for your average person, going a measly 4 weeks without a drink SHOULDNT be challenging in the slightest.

I'm sorry, but 4 weeks without a drink is not a long period of time. Its really not.  

I don’t have an issue with people who see it as an achievement.  For some it is.   I just won’t sposor them for it.    Just like I won’t sponsor someone to sky dive or bungee jump.   That is actually not an a achievement.   For most, it is an ambition, but rather than pay for it, they do it ‘for charity’.  

I’d rather give the money direct to the charites, personally. 

I stayed sober last October, partly because I'd just come back from Oktoberfest in Munich (actually takes place end of September) 

Didn't ask for sponsorship as that felt a bit pathetic and I was doing it for myself, and partly agree that although it was an achievement for me, for many it's just normal.

What I didn't realise was the pressure others would put me under to drink, and it did make me realise how much drink is involved in people's lives.

Also discovered alcohol free beer is pish

Edited by MrBones

Governor Tarkin
14 minutes ago, Erik said:

Its not about blowing my own trumpet or being 'as good as me'.

Its about the simple fact that for your average person, going a measly 4 weeks without a drink SHOULDNT be challenging in the slightest.

I'm sorry, but 4 weeks without a drink is not a long period of time. Its really not.  

Speak for yourself.

2 hours ago, Erik said:

It's a shame you feel the need to drink to get through your own wedding. Does your future wife know this?

I probably had at least six ‘dry’ months last year where I never touched a drink. 

I never made a conscious decision to have them mind you, it’s just that I’m turning into a boring git in ma auld age ?

Have to agree with the OP though. Four weeks off the sauce is hardly a big deal. And if it IS a big deal, then It might be more of an issue in your life than you realise. 

Still, every marathon starts with a single step I suppose...

Romanov Stole My Pension
55 minutes ago, MrBones said:

I disagree, I'd far rather have one of them than a pint of coke. Some of them are decent, especially the wheat ones.

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

I disagree, I'd far rather have one of them than a pint of coke. Some of them are decent, especially the wheat ones.

I'm with you on this. I usually have a few in the fridge. One is normally enough to satisfy my daily beer craving.

Surely any attempt someone makes to live a healthier lifestyle should be commended? 

Personally, I'm going to completely ignore the whole thing as I don't drink to excess anymore but I also don't see the problem with having a few beers every week anyway. Some weeks I'll have no beer, some weeks I might have 5 or 6. I'm quite comfortable with that. 

7 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

Surely any attempt someone makes to live a healthier lifestyle should be commended? 

Personally, I'm going to completely ignore the whole thing as I don't drink to excess anymore but I also don't see the problem with having a few beers every week anyway. Some weeks I'll have no beer, some weeks I might have 5 or 6. I'm quite comfortable with that. 

But is it though? Or is it just more "look at me" social media pish?

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

But is it though? Or is it just more "look at me" social media pish?

Maybe commended is the wrong word. Encouraged, possibly? As someone who doesn't do social media, I'm not sure what it's like there. If it was every ***** and his dog going on about it, then I can see how that would piss folk off. 

But any campaign that promotes a healthier lifestyle should be a good thing. 

45 minutes ago, Romanov Stole My Pension said:

Actually, Tennant's HeeHaw was ok, Innes and None was disgusting. Alcohol free Red wine was also disgusting but fake Prosecco was surprisingly ok.

The best non alcohol stuff was Tesco own brand Gin and Tonic, tasted like the real thing.

As you can tell, i struggled a bit at first to give up and tried a lot of alternatives. After 2 weeks i just gave up entirely

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Speak for yourself.

Well, if you're having issues with alcohol dependency which dictate you simply cannot go a month without it, then maybe its time to speak to someone.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

It's a shame you feel the need to drink to get through your own wedding. Does your future wife know this?

I don't 'need' to. I'll choose to. Big difference.

27 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

You're right. Folk should be commended for making choices to live a healthier lifestyle.

But dropping alcohol for 4 weeks isn't a change in lifestyle. Particularly when most of the folk who do this thing will get to the end of it and revert straight back to their usual habits after it.

1 hour ago, MrBones said:

I stayed sober last October, partly because I'd just come back from Oktoberfest in Munich (actually takes place end of September) 

Didn't ask for sponsorship as that felt a bit pathetic and I was doing it for myself, and partly agree that although it was an achievement for me, for many it's just normal.

What I didn't realise was the pressure others would put me under to drink, and it did make me realise how much drink is involved in people's lives.

The Heineken 0% is actually decent.  

Wouldnt drink a lot of it though, as I would end up pissing for Scotland.  Especially with my bladder. 

1 minute ago, Erik said:

You're right. Folk should be commended for making choices to live a healthier lifestyle.

But dropping alcohol for 4 weeks isn't a change in lifestyle. Particularly when most of the folk who do this thing will get to the end of it and revert straight back to their usual habits after it.

But surely the fact they've at least tried is a good thing? 

About 12 years ago, one of my regulars in a pub I worked in, a young student who would be on the piss every single day, was encouraged by my missus to give it a shot. He did. It was 6 years before he had another drink and pretty much improved his health tenfold. He's now a Krav Maga instructor for the polis and our occasional babysitter. 

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Erik said:

Well, if you're having issues with alcohol dependency which dictate you simply cannot go a month without it, then maybe its time to speak to someone.

Oh I can go without it for a month and regularly do. That hasn't always been the case though, and disparaging attitudes like yours get right up my shitter.

Governor Tarkin
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

When people like you and you have an active social life, it's harder to abstain.

Correct.

4 hours ago, Erik said:

"The small matter of getting married" :gok:

Never went 4 weeks without a drink for about 25 years.

Mind you, I don’t honestly know when I went a week without one.

:booze:

Happy new year.

Geoff the Mince

I've not had a bevy since the Remembrance Service in November , but I am addicted to certain painkillers . I miss a good peeve .

I won't be touching a drop this January due to over doing it over the festivities. Hardest part for me is my social life and work evolve around the presence of people boozing it up on a almost daily basis. 

I suppose going without for a whole month for me whilst watching others boozing without any sort of care for their  health or financial well-being feels like an achievement. Though I have often considered chanigning my social circle.

Edited by AlimOzturk

So people doing something that makes that will boost their physical and mental health, at least in the short term, while getting credit for it from friends/family etc., and often raising money for charity, is a bad thing?

Righty-ho. 

2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

But surely the fact they've at least tried is a good thing? 

About 12 years ago, one of my regulars in a pub I worked in, a young student who would be on the piss every single day, was encouraged by my missus to give it a shot. He did. It was 6 years before he had another drink and pretty much improved his health tenfold. He's now a Krav Maga instructor for the polis and our occasional babysitter. 

Christ mate, your kids must be a bit of a handful. 

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Christ mate, your kids must be a bit of a handful. 

Ha! To be honest, they love their Uncle Robb coming for a visit, precisely because they can attack him as much they want!

14 minutes ago, Peebo said:

So people doing something that makes that will boost their physical and mental health, at least in the short term, while getting credit for it from friends/family etc., and often raising money for charity, is a bad thing?

Righty-ho. 

Plenty studies suggest doing these, for the majority, leads to longer term lifestyle/health changes.

Clearly thats not good enough though.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, El Diez said:

Never went 4 weeks without a drink for about 25 years.

Mind you, I don’t honestly know when I went a week without one.

:booze:

Happy new year.

I’ll drink to that??

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Ha! To be honest, they love their Uncle Robb coming for a visit, precisely because they can attack him as much they want!

Norm, wtf is going on in your avatar?

From my perspective I have found it easier for medical reasons to quit totally, than I would have to quit for a month knowing I was going to start again.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Plenty studies suggest doing these, for the majority, leads to longer term lifestyle/health changes.

Clearly thats not good enough though.

My Mrs was going through a right heavy drinking stage just before we started going out.  The start of our relationship coincided with her taking a month off (February, the shortest month of course!) and she's never looked back.

We're now both very very occasional drinkers.

Seems a very strange thing that other people making an effort in their own lives would upset someone. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

My Mrs was going through a right heavy drinking stage just before we started going out.  The start of our relationship coincided with her taking a month off (February, the shortest month of course!) and she's never looked back.

We're now both very very occasional drinkers.

Seems a very strange thing that other people making an effort in their own lives would upset someone. 

Aye, but that's because you like a toke instead.

Everyone needs a crutch of some form or another.

I've had a love/hate relationship with booze for as long as I can remember. Working at sea has meant at least 6 dry months a year for the last 6/7  years, but I still love a good week-long bender.

I've got a friend who has done it every January for as long as I've known her which is about 20 years. 

Also some of the biggest piss ups I've ever had have been with her at the start of February.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've had a love/hate relationship with booze for as long as I can remember. Working at sea has meant at least 6 dry months a year for the last 6/7  years, but I still love a good week-long bender.

She liked a smoke before as well. Taking a month off still led to a massive positive, and getting noised up by other people doing it is still pretty daft.

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I work 3 or 4 nights a week  and 5/6 days a week.

Sports drop offs for the kids at the weekends and early starts means that if I get a weekend off, or any nothing the next day so I don't need to drive, I'm getting steaming.

So many life factors for people - but the thought of going dry in January before tax returns are in is wrist slitting.

To be honest, when I look back at what I've drank over the past 2 weeks, I'm actually a little bit horrified.  Was it worth it?  Totally, but it was quite a large amount for about 9 days on the trot.  Would have been well over 200 units.

I'll be staying off it for a while.  Maybe the whole month, maybe less.  But why criticise people for trying to make a healthier lifestyle choice? 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, tian447 said:

To be honest, when I look back at what I've drank over the past 2 weeks, I'm actually a little bit horrified.  Was it worth it?  Totally, but it was quite a large amount for about 9 days on the trot.  Would have been well over 200 units.

I'll be staying off it for a while.  Maybe the whole month, maybe less.  But why criticise people for trying to make a healthier lifestyle choice? 

I've meant to ask for ages - did your avatar get corrupted or something?

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, tian447 said:

I've had a good bash at it the last few weeks too, probably up around the 100 unit a week mark.

I was considering a dry January but am now really fancying a pint on the way home from work! :lol:

If I could limit my drinking to one night a week and a few on a Sunday afternoon (I absolutely LOVE all day drinking on a Sunday), then I'd be happy with that. I seem to manage no problem for a while and then a raft of social engagements will come along and I'm back being a jakey again. In saying that, the arrival of junior Tarkin has put paid to the worst of my excess.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've meant to ask for ages - did your avatar get corrupted or something?

You're just baked mate.

Looks fine to me.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You're just baked mate.

Looks fine to me.

It's a very specific high this one - half red they call it

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's a very specific high this one - half red they call it

Wonders will never cease, mate.

Thank god for science.

38 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Norm, wtf is going on in your avatar?

Ha! That is me on the ground, just off the 26 bus the day of our 2012 Cup parade, spewing my ring everywhere. The lady with the scarf is my mates wife taking the piss out of me, my mate is taking the picture. 

I used to have Norm from cheers as my avatar but I think there was some sort of challenge on here for people to upload themselves as their avatar picture, so I duly obliged. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

Ha! That is me on the ground, just off the 26 bus the day of our 2012 Cup parade, spewing my ring everywhere. The lady with the scarf is my mates wife taking the piss out of me, my mate is taking the picture. 

I used to have Norm from cheers as my avatar but I think there was some sort of challenge on here for people to upload themselves as their avatar picture, so I duly obliged. 

Aha, now it all makes sense.

Cracking choice of pic! :lol:

Seymour M Hersh

I noticed an article headline in the paper the other day (although I never read it tbf) saying it can do you more harm than good to your liver.