Charlie Adam

TurboT

4 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

He pretty much only ever comes out talks about a player after we’ve been linked with him. How often does he say we’re after a player before a paper says so ? Not very often eh. I love a bit gossip regarding transfers but if your gonae come out with tripe like he’s 80 % signing then be prepared to be laughed at.

He knew we were were in talks with naismith and Lafferty way before the papers told us but carry on ?

Edited by Bongo 1874

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

• Beast Boy

• Bazzas right boot

Just now, JyTees said:

Can we use fractions? Always prefer to look at these things from a bookies perspective.

Ok, he is 4/5 odds on to sign for us, hope that helps 

Unless someone has won the Champs League a load of numpties on here will say “he’s no guid enough for us” or “he’s no Hearts class”.

At least 50% of the noise on here didn’t want Naismith back this season. Trumpets.

I remember a young attacking Killie player who was nearing the end of his contract discussed on here “shite”, “not hearts class” - signed for Rangers and excelled. Made it in the EPL and scored a hat trick against Chelsea. He now basically holds our team together. Trumpets.

Same was said about a young Australian Motherwell striker when nearing the end of his contract: “shite” , “not hearts class”, went on to score a bucketload of goals

for Celtic. Trumpets.

A player like Adam is the missing link to one thing we haven’t quite nailed in the last decade or more. Controlling the midfield. Adam is the type of midfielder that will always find the right space to take a pass. Passes will stick to his feet. Movement ahead of him will be rewarded by pin point accurate passes. He’ll score goals from around the edge of the box. He only needs to play in about 1/3 of the pitch to be an absolutely dominant player for us. 

Anyone that thinks otherwise is a....trumpet.

GorgieRules22
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He knew we were were in talks with naismith and Lafferty way before the papers told us but carry on ?

Lafferty the only one ??

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

2 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Fair points from both but, I think it’s the 85% thing that is a bit sporadic.

4 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

4/5 is more like 55% mate. Odds are nearer 1/5 according to the thread. ??

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Fair points from both but, I think it’s the 85% thing that is a bit sporadic.

As I said Morgan I’m not digging at Daza for his info which may be correct it’s the percentage stuff that is silly imo, I doubt he (Adam) has even had any contact as of yet, that’s just my opinion though. 

1 minute ago, JyTees said:

4/5 is more like 55% mate. Odds are nearer 1/5 according to the thread. ??

Fair point, although I just threw a random fraction out there. 

2 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

As I said Morgan I’m not digging at Daza for his info which may be correct it’s the percentage stuff that is silly imo, I doubt he (Adam) has even had any contact as of yet, that’s just my opinion though. 

Exactly!

80%.

90%.

Almost acceptable.

85% is like plucking a number from the great blue yonder.

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Must agree with you here.

85% is a very odd figure to come up with.

Would 86% even you out a bit?

Scnorthedinburgh
16 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Unless someone has won the Champs League a load of numpties on here will say “he’s no guid enough for us” or “he’s no Hearts class”.

At least 50% of the noise on here didn’t want Naismith back this season. Trumpets.

I remember a young attacking Killie player who was nearing the end of his contract discussed on here “shite”, “not hearts class” - signed for Rangers and excelled. Made it in the EPL and scored a hat trick against Chelsea. He now basically holds our team together. Trumpets.

Same was said about a young Australian Motherwell striker when nearing the end of his contract: “shite” , “not hearts class”, went on to score a bucketload of goals

for Celtic. Trumpets.

A player like Adam is the missing link to one thing we haven’t quite nailed in the last decade or more. Controlling the midfield. Adam is the type of midfielder that will always find the right space to take a pass. Passes will stick to his feet. Movement ahead of him will be rewarded by pin point accurate passes. He’ll score goals from around the edge of the box. He only needs to play in about 1/3 of the pitch to be an absolutely dominant player for us. 

In the spirit of the thread I get and agree with 90% of what you say.

But for wages out, to more than one year contribution it's a no from me.

7 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Fair point, although I just threw a random fraction out there. 

I'm being pedantic mate. Best ignored.

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

80% is 1/4 on ??

I was working with the 85%. ?

rudi must stay
25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Must agree with you here.

85% is a very odd figure to come up with.

85% is an interesting percentage, and one to be wildly optimistic about

BackOfTheNet

IF he signs I’d want to know what kind of expenditure would be on his wages. As I’d imagine some so keen on Adam coming in may not be so much if they saw the brass tax of it.

25 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

for Celtic. Trumpets.

This

and  

This

image.thumb.png.c928e48a9c70690a4354d1b47437d9e6.png

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

He won’t go to rangers I don’t think 

What do you base your thinking on?

10 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Any chance of a swinging pie chart like on Election night with obviously a big picture of Adam eating a pie. 

What....like Adam diving Eves pie in the garden of Eden at the behest of the snake Levein?/?/?

I've only read this page of this thread....

So I'm 1/11 confident that someone will join us or another team this year....maybe....

It’s not until you read a Hearts fan stating that they don’t think Charlie Adam or Steven Naismith are good enough to play for us that the complete futility of reading Kickback dawns on you. We have a small number of very good, sensible posters who have an understanding of perspective and objective thinking, however these voices are largely drowned out by the overwhelming din coming from the multitude of empty vessels that clutter the whole place up. It is also staggering how little a number of posters appear to know about the club. In particular a failure to read club statements and interviews with the hierarchy of the club. 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

23 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Any chance of a swinging pie chart like on Election night with obviously a big picture of Adam eating a pie. 

70%

8532EBCC-5CF0-407E-B597-122793043954.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

100% pie!

ED626E8E-0759-4B24-977D-D93F3C455553.jpeg

Absolute Scenes
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

It’s not until you read a Hearts fan stating that they don’t think Charlie Adam or Steven Naismith are good enough to play for us that the complete futility of reading Kickback dawns on you. We have a small number of very good, sensible posters who have an understanding of perspective and objective thinking, however these voices are largely drowned out by the overwhelming din coming from the multitude of empty vessels that clutter the whole place up. It is also staggering how little a number of posters appear to know about the club. In particular a failure to read club statements and interviews with the hierarchy of the club. 

Utterly mind boggling eh!

turning their nose up at a player who has played for Liverpool and Stoke who, despite his age, will be head and shoulders above most midfielders in the league. These are fans who want the best players as well, but don’t want Charlie Adam.

mind boggling. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Regardless of whether I am part of the “din” or the “small number”, in your eyes. I could not agree more.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

With Berra at the back,

Adams in the middle,

Naismith in attack,

Knowledge, experience & class will ooze down the backbone of the team,

It would seem, effectively three assistant player managers leading by example!

Maybe, just maybe this could be the year!!

Jambof3tornado

Must be better out there than CA for the money?

Unless its a similar deal to lafferty where we can recoup some of our outlay by moving Adam on after 12 months?

30 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Well said. Forum is ruined at times with people just posting utter tripe.

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Must be better out there than CA for the money?

Unless its a similar deal to lafferty where we can recoup some of our outlay by moving Adam on after 12 months?

Do you know how much we would paying Adam if he did decide to sign? If you do then name a player better for the money

Lafferty was moved on because he wanted to leave not because we needed to move him on to recoup cash on him.

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

What do you mean by “don’t think we are a League at all”?

Go back and read your comment, yes mine is a silly reply too!

1 hour ago, jamtartan74 said:

Is it silly, though?

If CA has listed 20 conditions he'd like to be met and we tick the boxes in 17 of them, would that not mean we were 85% certain to sign him?

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Is it silly, though?

If CA has listed 20 conditions he'd like to be met and we tick the boxes in 17 of them, would that not mean we were 85% certain to sign him?

20? I had no idea Fray Bentos did that many pies

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

20? I had no idea Fray Bentos did that many pies

We could always invite the Pieman back to sort out that problem.

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

85% is an interesting percentage, and one to be wildly optimistic about

Nah it has to be 100% 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Is it silly, though?

Yes it is silly. It just means we've met 17 of his 20 listed 'conditions'.

6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This. Every window there are snidey digs at some posters who, at the very least are more itk than I am. Nae need

BackOfTheNet
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’m one that’s not so keen on a move. However I’m not denying that the Charlie Adam I’ve seen play for Blackpool, Liverpool and Stoke in the EPL is good enough for Hearts, and if he’s anywhere near that quality he’d be a great signing. I am however questioning whether a player that’s played less than 20 first team games for Stoke in the last year and a half is the same level of player anymore and whether he’s worth a punt. As it won’t be a cheap punt, he could very well come in being the most costly wages expenditure wise.

His fitness levels were seriously  questioned at his peak, so it’s only fair to question them even more as he gets to the Autumn of his career and hasn’t played much at all. It’s not whether he has the talent, that never leaves a player, it’s the fitness and ability. And attitude, as others have mentioned, his “outspoken” style could upset a tight dressing room and although I’m not expecting players to grow up supporting only Hearts, since the summer he’s been trying to manoeuvre a move to Rangers so much it reeks of desperation. I’m all fine with players using Hearts as a stepping stone for them to go onto bigger and better things, but that means outside Scotland. Anyone using Hearts to angle a move to Rangers or Celtic is self defeating in my opinion.

So do I think he isn't good enough for Hearts? No. However, do I think we desperately need him so much to spend as much as we would to bring him in without knowing his current level of ability and fitness? No. If he comes in I will applaude him as he takes the field and support him and the other ten on the park and hope he does great and wonderful things of the like some here are expecting him to do with the greatest of ease (from his apparent huge step down to us). But if he doesn’t come in I won’t care either. As someone else put it - whelmed.

9 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Wonder who would provoke excitement in your eyes? Would be well pleased if he signed

Not doubting his calibre just dubious about his attitude and application. As I said, would happily be proved wrong.

We need players with the bottle and quality to go to Glasgow and go toe to toe with the old firm, we have players who can go to places like Aberdeen, Easter Road and Killie and win it’s Glasgow that costs us every season we have a chance of challenging.

Charlie Adam like Naismith and Berra have played at a much higher level than Hearts and have done so because they have skill and a determination to win football matches. The more players of that quality we can bring in the better.

I appreciate the point regarding our youngsters not getting game time but the likes of Adam won’t be here for long and Cochrane and co can learn a lot from these guys and improve by training with them

I think Adam would be a tremendous signing for us and I don’t beleive it would cost too much, with Berra leading the back line Naismiths industry in midfield and Adams passing ability supplying Uche and Vanecek we’d be some team when it clicks.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m one that’s not so keen on a move. However I’m not denying that the Charlie Adam I’ve seen play for Blackpool, Liverpool and Stoke in the EPL is good enough for Hearts, and if he’s anywhere near that quality he’d be a great signing. I am however questioning whether a player that’s played less than 20 first team games for Stoke in the last year and a half is the same level of player anymore and whether he’s worth a punt. As it won’t be a cheap punt, he could very well come in being the most costly wages expenditure wise.

His fitness levels were seriously  questioned at his peak, so it’s only fair to question them even more as he gets to the Autumn of his career and hasn’t played much at all. It’s not whether he has the talent, that never leaves a player, it’s the fitness and ability. And attitude, as others have mentioned, his “outspoken” style could upset a tight dressing room and although I’m not expecting players to grow up supporting only Hearts, since the summer he’s been trying to manoeuvre a move to Rangers so much it reeks of desperation. I’m all fine with players using Hearts as a stepping stone for them to go onto bigger and better things, but that means outside Scotland. Anyone using Hearts to angle a move to Rangers or Celtic is self defeating in my opinion.

So do I think he isn't good enough for Hearts? No. However, do I think we desperately need him so much to spend as much as we would to bring him in without knowing his current level of ability and fitness? No. If he comes in I will applaude him as he takes the field and support him and the other ten on the park and hope he does great and wonderful things of the like some here are expecting him to do with the greatest of ease (from his apparent huge step down to us). But if he doesn’t come in I won’t care either. As someone else put it - whelmed.

Firstly - if Charlie Adam came back to Scotland with one leg he would still be one of the best players in our league. If he was the EPL Standard player that he was for Stoke or Liverpool he would be playing in the EPL. Like Lafferty and Naismith time is closing in on him but he will have more than enough to make a massive impact in the Scottish Premiership.

Secondly - We have a wage cap, the wage cap won’t be broken unless the extra wages are paid by the mystery benefactor or by the parent club of the player i.e. Lafferty / Naismith. Specualting that the transfer is too expensive in terms of wages is ridiculous. The wage structure has been explained in numerous communications from the club.

Finally - It doesn’t matter in the slightest if a player comes to Hearts to engineer a bigger move. Lafferty is the prime example. Came in and gave everything, scored some great goals and got his move to Rangers. We got 19 goals and cash, he’s stuck on the bench at Ibrox; his last big contract is effectively a season ticket where he gets paid £12k p/w to watch his beloved team. We came out of that deal the winners, Lafferty second and Rangers last.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

jack D and coke
22 hours ago, Paolo said:

Given how much he is waxing lyrical about joining Rangers, I’d rather it stayed that way. 

Aye the hun chat absolutely sickens me I’ll be honest. 

No thanks. 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Firstly - if Charlie Adam came back to Scotland with one leg he would still be one of the best players in our league. If he was the EPL Standard player that he was for Stoke or Liverpool he would be playing in the EPL. Like Lafferty and Naismith time is closing in on him but he will have more than enough to make a massive impact in the Scottish Premiership.

Secondly - We have a wage cap, the wage cap won’t be broken unless the extra wages are paid by the mystery benefactor or by the parent club of the player i.e. Lafferty / Naismith. Specualting that the transfer is too expensive in terms of wages is ridiculous. The wage structure has been explained in numerous communications from the club.

Finally - It doesn’t matter in the slightest if a player comes to Hearts to engineer a bigger move. Lafferty is the prime example. Came in and gave everything, scored some great goals and got his move to Rangers. We got 19 goals and cash, he’s stuck on the bench at Ibrox; his last big contract is effectively a season ticket where he gets paid £12k p/w to watch his beloved team. We came out of that deal the winners, Lafferty second and Rangers last.

Firstly - I think you’re overestimating Adam’s talent, even at his peak. One leg indeed. I understand your Naismith and Lafferty comparisons, however my point still stands, Adam’s fitness levels have always been questioned. Naismith and Lafferty’s fitness was never an issue. So Adam is not going to be fitter now than he was at his peak is he.

Secondly - I’m well aware of the wage structure at the club. I never once said we’d break the bank for him. I simply questioned whether it was wise to spend the wage cap on one player, with that one player being Adam. Maybe it would be wiser to tie up players already at the club on better contracts or sign two or three younger players on pre-contracts rather than spend said wages on one player. I was on the forum last year championing Naismith and saying his wages would be justified (particularly with the sale of Walker), but I’m not convinced spending those wages on Adam would be justified. However IF he signs and he proves me wrong on that front I’d be delighted.

Lastly - I’ve also been quite vocal on this forum that Lafferty was not the irreplaceable entity many thought and was called everything under the sun for it. The point I made then - and I feel this applies to Adam too potentially - is that one player does not a team make and a team can perform better without individuals doing it for themselves. (The point then was yes Lafferty scored 19 but had no assists, and his team play / ethic lacked - Naismith has scored 12 and assisted at least 3 in half a season with a team ethic around him - yes we got 19 goals but we also got a 6th place finish) Adam of course is a different player who’s job it is to play through balls and take set pieces so should be able to chip in with a couple of goals and assists. What I don’t want is spending the money we do on him to help us finish 3rd or 4th only to engineer a move to a club who (likely) will finish 2nd so as to help them keep us capped at 3rd or 4th. As I say, it’s self-defeating. Is Adam more likely going to be a Naismith who helps along the team on and off the pitch and takes pride in effectively coaching the youngsters, or will he be more like Lafferty promoting himself for another move?

All I’m saying is I’d rather we spend the money we would spend on Adam for 5 months to be spent on investing in contract extensions or future development. I never had doubts about Naismith and thought signing him for even 5 months would be justified. I just can’t personally say the same about Adam.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Firstly - I think you’re overestimating Adam’s talent, even at his peak. One leg indeed. I understand your Naismith and Lafferty comparisons, however my point still stands, Adam’s fitness levels have always been questioned. Naismith and Lafferty’s fitness was never an issue. So Adam is not going to be fitter now than he was at his peak is he.

Secondly - I’m well aware of the wage structure at the club. I never once said we’d break the bank for him. I simply questioned whether it was wise to spend the wage cap on one player, with that one player being Adam. Maybe it would be wiser to tie up players already at the club on better contracts or sign two or three younger players on pre-contracts rather than spend said wages on one player. I was on the forum last year championing Naismith and saying his wages would be justified (particularly with the sale of Walker), but I’m not convinced spending those wages on Adam would be justified. However IF he signs and he proves me wrong on that front I’d be delighted.

Lastly - I’ve also been quite vocal on this forum that Lafferty was not the irreplaceable entity many thought and was called everything under the sun for it. The point I made then - and I feel this applies to Adam too potentially - is that one player does not a team make and a team can perform better without individuals doing it for themselves. (The point then was yes Lafferty scored 19 but had no assists, and his team play / ethic lacked - Naismith has scored 12 and assisted at least 3 in half a season with a team ethic around him - yes we got 19 goals but we also got a 6th place finish) Adam of course is a different player who’s job it is to play through balls and take set pieces so should be able to chip in with a couple of goals and assists. What I don’t want is spending the money we do on him to help us finish 3rd or 4th only to engineer a move to a club who (likely) will finish 2nd so as to help them keep us capped at 3rd or 4th. As I say, it’s self-defeating. Is Adam more likely going to be a Naismith who helps along the team on and off the pitch and takes pride in effectively coaching the youngsters, or will he be more like Lafferty promoting himself for another move?

All I’m saying is I’d rather we spend the money we would spend on Adam for 5 months to be spent on investing in contract extensions or future development. I never had doubts about Naismith and thought signing him for even 5 months would be justified. I just can’t personally say the same about Adam.

I'm on the same page as you.

However the case for the signing, is he is another well known to Levein, and that is the major positive for me if it happens.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I'm on the same page as you.

However the case for the signing, is he is another well known to Levein, and that is the major positive for me if it happens.

True. And in case it comes across I’m not saying he’d be a bad signing, I’m just saying our business could perhaps be better spending money elsewhere.