Hearts Transfer window ( merged )

cb1874

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

And I won't shit my pants if that's the case.  Well, not because of that anyway.

Squad's fine really - hard to remember how good we actually are when they're all fit!  And barring more bad luck, they all will be soon, plus Shooglenestle and Vanacek,

I'd rather stick with what we have an look to add in the summer, than take more Amankwaa type chances who just eat up budget and effort.  Get the feeling that's the feeling from CL too.  He'd take a no-brainer like Adam, or similar standard, but we aren't "in the market" trying to find a bargain.

This is the only thing that's troubling me. We've had horrendous luck with injuries. Another to Naismith and we could be in trouble again. Perish the thought Vanaceck gets injured before Uche is back

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• sadj

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

This is the only thing that's troubling me. We've had horrendous luck with injuries. Another to Naismith and we could be in trouble again. Perish the thought Vanaceck gets injured before Uche is back

You also have to mind that the idea of having 11 players ready for the first team and 11 backups just as ready for the first team is a nice idea but not actually practical. Not just budget wise, but if you have players believing they should be in the first 11 and aren’t and may not even be in the squad then that leads to unhappy squad harmony.

I get the thought process about being cautious because of injuries but there needs to be a balance that has ageing players and youngsters and those given a chance to impress willing to take a back seat once and a while. It’s a difficult balance to strike.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Food is tastier and therefore easier to swallow with a grain of salt, so this idiom claims that if someone is telling you something that is probably not entirely true or correct, it is easier to swallow it with a grain of salt than to argue against it.

Get the idea but surprised that caught on and lasted time 

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

And I won't shit my pants if that's the case.  Well, not because of that anyway.

Squad's fine really - hard to remember how good we actually are when they're all fit!  And barring more bad luck, they all will be soon, plus Shooglenestle and Vanacek,

I'd rather stick with what we have an look to add in the summer, than take more Amankwaa type chances who just eat up budget and effort.  Get the feeling that's the feeling from CL too.  He'd take a no-brainer like Adam, or similar standard, but we aren't "in the market" trying to find a bargain.

With everyone fit, all we really lack is a reliable wide player/winger. Hopefully Mulraney and Morrison see what a huge opportunity is there for them. 

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You also have to mind that the idea of having 11 players ready for the first team and 11 backups just as ready for the first team is a nice idea but not actually practical. Not just budget wise, but if you have players believing they should be in the first 11 and aren’t and may not even be in the squad then that leads to unhappy squad harmony.

I get the thought process about being cautious because of injuries but there needs to be a balance that has ageing players and youngsters and those given a chance to impress willing to take a back seat once and a while. It’s a difficult balance to strike.

Agree and I think that’s where we are just now. TBH we’re a wee bit ahead of where I thought we’d be but the “squad” quality isn’t there, yet.

Ive said before I’d like to go into Next season only adding a couple of good players. Not mass recruitment.

We are in a pretty good place with the squad when everyone is fit so at least we aren't desperately trying to get bodies in like a few clubs.

If we do sign another one, it will be someone that can really improve us IMO. 

11 hours ago, Ribble said:

I'd imagine that the only things he's be looking at in that sense would be something like a move to somewhere decent in the MLS or if a upstart new money type team like Hoffenhiem/Red Bull etc tried to take him to one of the bigger European Leagues.

He mentioned something along the lines of a few years being nothing for his kids but a lifetime for him .. He also said that it was so important for him that at the end of his career he could look back and know that he made the right choices and with no regrets  ... I don't think he would be adverse to staying with us and I think because we have made him feel important again and him knowing we desperately want him to sign, it would take something like a lifestyle change, or an experience, for him to go 

Your right what you say though - I do think it would only be a few things that would entice him - I think and hope if he stays in Scotland it would be with us - I just hope der hun stay away from him but I cant honestly say if they did come sniffing what naisys response would be 

Hope we can sort it sooner rather than later - its starting to do my head in although I can understand why he is doing what he is doing 

really hope we can keep him and I think Cl and AB will do as much as they possibly can 

5 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Agree and I think that’s where we are just now. TBH we’re a wee bit ahead of where I thought we’d be but the “squad” quality isn’t there, yet.

Ive said before I’d like to go into Next season only adding a couple of good players. Not mass recruitment.

I don’t think it’s overstating things to say we’ve been really unlucky with injuries this season. Last 2-3 months have seen half of who would be considered first 11 out. Players considered backup or at most rotational like Cochrane, Dikamona, Bozanic, MacLean, Mulraney etc are only really meant to come in one at a time to cover suspension or minor injuries, they weren’t meant to be in for long sustainable periods. If the squad stays together mostly for the next few seasons then these players become more equipped. Youngsters are more experienced and capable and older players are more used to the philosophy and manager’s requirements of them. Mulraney for example says he’s only now getting how Levein wants him to play (and blames himself for not getting that sooner). I think we have a very good balance, I just think we need a wee bit more luck. This window and next don’t require mass recruitment, so long as we keep most of the squad together.

The Treasurer
5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don’t think it’s overstating things to say we’ve been really unlucky with injuries this season. Last 2-3 months have seen half of who would be considered first 11 out. Players considered backup or at most rotational like Cochrane, Dikamona, Bozanic, MacLean, Mulraney etc are only really meant to come in one at a time to cover suspension or minor injuries, they weren’t meant to be in for long sustainable periods. If the squad stays together mostly for the next few seasons then these players become more equipped. Youngsters are more experienced and capable and older players are more used to the philosophy and manager’s requirements of them. Mulraney for example says he’s only now getting how Levein wants him to play (and blames himself for not getting that sooner). I think we have a very good balance, I just think we need a wee bit more luck. This window and next don’t require mass recruitment, so long as we keep most of the squad together.

Don't forget that of the "back-up" players you've mentioned, Cochrane and Dikamona have both suffered spells out with injury.

The Treasurer
8 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Hope we can sort it sooner rather than later - its starting to do my head in although I can understand why he is doing what he is doing 

really hope we can keep him and I think Cl and AB will do as much as they possibly can 

In fairness to Naismith, he has been open and honest with the club and is not trying to hold us to ransom or play us off against another club to get a better deal.

It all comes down to whether any other offers appeal to him in a football or life-style sense.

10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

With everyone fit, all we really lack is a reliable wide player/winger. Hopefully Mulraney and Morrison see what a huge opportunity is there for them. 

Agree with this. Getting Naismith back was like signing a new player and the return of Uche and Souttar will be the same.

Not convinced we can rely on Morrison and Mulraney has not got it for me so we definitely need a wide player or two. But the first quarter of the season showed ho decent we can be when we have a fit squad so no need to make wholesale changes.

16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

In fairness to Naismith, he has been open and honest with the club and is not trying to hold us to ransom or play us off against another club to get a better deal.

It all comes down to whether any other offers appeal to him in a football or life-style sense.

Don’t get me wrong - in terms of what I’m saying I don’t blame him at all

the frustration part is just part and parcel of being a supporter and not knowing if he is going to stay or go rather than thinking he has acted dishonestly 

he has been so important for us on and off the pitch 

On 30/12/2018 at 08:29, cb1874 said:

So, with the transfer window opening soon, who(realistically), should we be looking to recruit and would we move on to free up wages/fees.

Out: Mitchell, Amankwaa, Djoum(refused new deal apparently)... Sammon and Edwards already out on loan. 

In: Naismith pre-contract(wishful thinking maybe), Extend the deals for  Dunne if possible. Extend Haring, Uche, Souttar. 

New signings: Attempt to get Kamara from Dundee, and Stewart from Killie

Thoughts

Seriously would give Mitchell another chance. He is one with some genuine quality that just needs harnessed. Mourinho seen it in him too so feel I am in some reasonable company with this

Astonished that all efforts to offload Sean Clare, Steven Maclean and Malaury Martin are not mentioned. Add that to the other ones that clearly have no chance and we can buy one or two. The darkness from the West is descending and they are adding decent signings so we have to do everything if we have any ambition of splitting them.

Let Djoum go. He has always said he wants to play elsewhere. Guys like that disappear in tough games (eg Livingston). 

We do need a creative midfielder and a quality right winger but couldn't say who that should be right now. Would be loathe to replace Olly lee given cult hero status and hope Haring fit very soon.

Looking forward to start of second half of season and a full strength team out there again soon. 

3 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Seriously would give Mitchell another chance. He is one with some genuine quality that just needs harnessed. Mourinho seen it in him too so feel I am in some reasonable company with this

Astonished that all efforts to offload Sean Clare, Steven Maclean and Malaury Martin are not mentioned. Add that to the other ones that clearly have no chance and we can buy one or two. The darkness from the West is descending and they are adding decent signings so we have to do everything if we have any ambition of splitting them.

Let Djoum go. He has always said he wants to play elsewhere. Guys like that disappear in tough games (eg Livingston). 

We do need a creative midfielder and a quality right winger but couldn't say who that should be right now. Would be loathe to replace Olly lee given cult hero status and hope Haring fit very soon.

Looking forward to start of second half of season and a full strength team out there again soon. 

Offload Clare? Lol ffs

4 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Clare?! ?

5 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

:cornette:

15 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Somebody's been on the Keo, drink sensibly bud and keep out of the sun. 

Badly need a proper winger and an attacking midfielder. However naismith can play the #10 if we can get him permanently and I would rather we gave Cochrane a chance rather than sign another journey man even if djoum leaves as we have plenty options in middle. So in my eyes that just leaves a decent winger to push Clare and Morrison into delivering more consistently. 

Clare has been improving and will continue to do so, as will Wighton.

Mulraney has been working hard in training, working on his crossing and has been trying to improve his mentality. These guys will get their chance and will be more effective with a fit Naisy & with Vanecek or Uche when fit. 

We’ll be a different team come Sunday. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Surprised no one picked up on Djoum "disappearing" at Livingston.

My personal favourite :rofl:He did, at the referees indiscretion

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Surprised no one picked up on Djoum "disappearing" at Livingston.

My personal favourite :rofl:He did, at the referees indiscretion

Everyone disappeared at Livingston unfortunately 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Has Levein not said a few times there will be very few signings if any. If anyone else comes in I’ll take it as a bonus.

Just a winger for me, I tend to be in the same camp as yourself

The Future's Maroon
23 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

Not sure if serious?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Jim Weir said:

Everyone disappeared at Livingston unfortunately 

It was 1-0 when Djoum went off, 10 mins later it was 5-0, surely one of the worst examples I have seen

24 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

lol - ffs, that's not even subtle trolling.

2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Has Levein not said a few times there will be very few signings if any. If anyone else comes in I’ll take it as a bonus.

I'll take it as a bonus depending on how good any possible signing is. 

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

It was 1-0 when Djoum went off, 10 mins later it was 5-0, surely one of the worst examples I have seen

We just capitulated.  Not sure if it would have been quite as bad if Djoum hadn't gone off. It's hard to say because what transpired was unbelievable 

That post above that you referred to is quite something! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

We just capitulated.  Not sure if it would have been quite as bad if Djoum hadn't gone off. It's hard to say because what transpired was unbelievable 

That post above that you referred to is quite something! 

It's a wind up surely 

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just a winger for me, I tend to be in the same camp as yourself

Agree, think we are well equipped in most areas now and have a few versatile players that can fill gaps if needed.

Mitchell and Morrison are both good options as wingers but obviously Mitchell needs to improve a lot based on his first half of the season. Not sure Mulraney will cut it.

Main thing is to get Haring, Souttar and Uche back fit.

10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Clare has been improving and will continue to do so, as will Wighton.

Mulraney has been working hard in training, working on his crossing and has been trying to improve his mentality. These guys will get their chance and will be more effective with a fit Naisy & with Vanecek or Uche when fit. 

We’ll be a different team come Sunday. ?

Clare has notably improved. I thought he played well in the Derby. Wighton will hopefully come good. 

Mulraney is one I really hope we can get the best out of. He's a flying machine. He'd put any defender in this league on back foot with his pace. He seems to be being quite critical of himself based on article the other day. He's only 6 months into a 2 year deal. Big step up from ICT with all due respect 

I like the lad. I think he can come good with help of coaching staff. If he can fulfill his potential we have a cracking player on our hands. That pace scares the shit out of teams 

Bridge of Djoum

Still nothing?

I'm off to the Michael Stewart thread to check he's still a nuclear rasper.

See you tomorrow!

35 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

Clare has notably improved. I thought he played well in the Derby. Wighton will hopefully come good. 

Mulraney is one I really hope we can get the best out of. He's a flying machine. He'd put any defender in this league on back foot with his pace. He seems to be being quite critical of himself based on article the other day. He's only 6 months into a 2 year deal. Big step up from ICT with all due respect 

I like the lad. I think he can come good with help of coaching staff. If he can fulfill his potential we have a cracking player on our hands. That pace scares the shit out of teams 

Spot on.

1 hour ago, cyprusjambo said:

Oh dear,  2 months undercover only to blow it with this troll

1 hour ago, cyprusjambo said:

If you think Sean Clare does not have potential to be a good player then you need to stop watching  football because you know nothing about it....this is my biggest hate with hearts fans getting on the back off young players because there not world class right away...said all season not see the best of Clare till next season..full season under his belt witch he’s not played a lot of football.full pre season and working under Naismith will help him.just ask yourself why was Tottenham and Everton wanting the boy for the future...

44 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

I don't think defenders lose too much sleep over Mulraney. No point having pace if you don;t have the awareness or ability to match it, and Jake clearly has never had it.

Howdy Doody Jambo
15 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

At least Martin is back....

It’s like a new signing for the reserve team 

51 minutes ago, Roman1874 said:

We need a Colin Cameron type midfielder 

Can you suggest one who would fit that bill? Looking at all the other teams the only player who remotely fits that mould is McGregor at Celtic. Nobody else has a player in the Cameron/Hartley mould. 

In a couple of years we might have developed our very own taller, skinnier Mickey though...

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Can you suggest one who would fit that bill? Looking at all the other teams the only player who remotely fits that mould is McGregor at Celtic. Nobody else has a player in the Cameron/Hartley mould. 

In a couple of years we might have developed our very own taller, skinnier Mickey though...

Ryan Edwards 

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Don't forget that of the "back-up" players you've mentioned, Cochrane and Dikamona have both suffered spells out with injury.

As I say, can’t overestimate our bad luck. We’ve not suffered a normal amount, we’ve had above normal numbers of injuries so far. Hopefully that’s stopped.

36 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't think defenders lose too much sleep over Mulraney. No point having pace if you don;t have the awareness or ability to match it, and Jake clearly has never had it.

He has openly admitted that he's felt it difficult coming to a club the size of Hearts and meeting the required levels of application. If he's not any better with correct application we'll be able to say he doesn't have the ability to succeed. Until then the jury is still out but you only need to look at some players that have played in the east of the city to realise that pace can cover a multitude of sins and mean that very average or actually very poor footballers can be a threat to a lot of sides. Agathe, Sproule and Boyle are/were all terrible footballers yet when used correctly they have caused teams problems.