Can you defend the indefensible?

jamboinglasgow

7 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I agree with all of that bar your last paragraph, although I see where you are coming from. The reality is that he currently earns a wage which is well above what we can pay and probably above what even Celtic can pay, which suggests that he is too good for us (although I hate saying that). That's a product of the league he played in and he's maybe at a point in his career where Hearts is a perfect fit but I have no doubt he could still do a job at a higher level. 

Fair enough mate. I think we will see more of that sort of quality now in the coming years though. ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Notts1874

• Jambos_1874

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Jlv2004 said:

Yeah I get that.

But there was a player in there. I'm sure of it.

He looked like a player, acted like a player. 

Then he got the ball at his feet and it all fell apart ?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Kestutis Ivaskevicius. 

Dubbed "No 28" in a casual racist manner by some on Kickback, the aforementioned played an important role of wins over Celtic and the late Rangers FC, scoring goals against both in games we won convincingly, 3-1 and 4-2. As Hearts fans turned on anything "Liff" (sic) in response to decisions made by the great Vladimir Romanov, Ivaskevicius became a victim of the mob and departed before his Hearts career could truly take off.

7 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Blazej Augustyn - didn't think he was actually that bad. Had no pace but won every header. Seemed to get dropped after a mare (v Celtic maybe?) Then was never really seen again.

Blazej should have powered that header in the last seconds v Hibs at 2-2 and they would never have won the cup

It's all his fault 

Abiola Dauda. Written off quickly but I thought if he'd stayed he would have been a top player for us. Showed flashes of genuine quality and overall just wasn't as bad as some made out. 

7 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Michael Stewart.

Thought he was actually pretty decent at what he did. Broke up the opposition attacks often and although tried too many, was capable of the odd hollywood ball. 

Back in the day when Michael Stewart was playing for us Kickback had a "Man of The Match" type competition where each player was rated on their performance in each game. (Might have been Portobello Jambo who organised it  if memory serves) Over the course of a season Michael Stewart was the winner by a mile. So based on his actual performances week on week he was seen as our best player. You would never believe that if you saw the comments in here as he was generally slated as if he had never kicked a ball in his life. I am not sure he was quite as good as he thought he was but on the evidence of weelky performance, he did a bit more than point and fall on his arse.  

7 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Tzolis. He was clearly too good a player for us and the rest of the players just weren’t on his wavelength. 

First player I thought of. He was so obviously a brilliant footballer but clearly could not be hooped for us. We were no more than a stop gap for him to pass some time while picking up a wage. Wish it had worked out as he would be exceptional at this level if he was up for it. 

I’ll take you back a bit to Lee Makel always thought the lad was talented was probably ahead of his time. The tynecastle crowd wanted him ‘to get stuck in’ but he was never that sort of player he should have been to hearts what to Scott Allan was to hibs last year the one player with a killer pass in the final third.

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Back in the day when Michael Stewart was playing for us Kickback had a "Man of The Match" type competition where each player was rated on their performance in each game. (Might have been Portobello Jambo who organised it  if memory serves) Over the course of a season Michael Stewart was the winner by a mile. So based on his actual performances week on week he was seen as our best player. You would never believe that if you saw the comments in here as he was generally slated as if he had never kicked a ball in his life. I am not sure he was quite as good as he thought he was but on the evidence of weelky performance, he did a bit more than point and fall on his arse.  

I think it was more to do with the standard of the 07/08 team.

There is a few to get through. 

Ali Crawford, released because he was deemed too short made a name for himself at Hamilton 

Jason Cummings. Played for hibs, rangers and playing for Peterborough via forest. 

Justin Fashanu - wonderfully gifted footballer. Ahead of his time.

If only he could sort out his head. Rip 

Ricardo fuller. 

Why didn't we just pay the money to keep him!! 

Danny Galbraith - injury plagued when he was with us. 

Mike Galloway - amazing for us. If it wasn't for his car crash I think he would have resigned for us. 

There is more but I started writing this last night and fell asleep in doing so. I'll do part two later on today 

Always thought mo Johnston was a great player for us. Problem was that he was so far ahead of others in terms of footballing intelligence the passes and runs he made weren't read

Tziolis mentioned a few times, it’s just a shame he felt we were lucky to have him come to us. Think there was an interview with McPhee? Recently (last 3-4 months) that said as such and so we never got what we should have from him.

i liked Blazej Augustyn had his faults but never lost a header, just a shame his header in the cup gme wasn’t a few inches lower.

EasternRossco

I don't know if this counts but I felt Ian Black was a lot better a player than a lot of people gave him credit for. Was the most popular and he was honking after he left but he was my kind of player. 

Jack "Flap" Hamilton.

Scotland international at under 15,16,17,18,19 and 21, called into the full squad for games against France and Italy at a ridiculously young age.

Hearts ruined him.  :( 

9 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I was going to try and defend Obua but just couldn't find anything. Would have a better chance with Kurskis....

He did score a winner at Easter Road so that's something!!

32 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

He did score a winner at Easter Road so that's something!!

Indeed. Did a hell of a lot more than Garry Glen ever did, for example.

10 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Mehdi Taouille

Callum Elliot

Conor Sammon

Mehdi won a Scottish Cup. Nuff said. :)

10 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Blazej Augustyn - didn't think he was actually that bad. Had no pace but won every header. Seemed to get dropped after a mare (v Celtic maybe?) Then was never really seen again.

Bjorn Johnsen - poor management from Cathro meant he didn't look interested. Had something in there imo. With a bit of proper coaching he would've been a good player.

FWIW, I loved Blazej. Proper no nonsense centre half. Him and Rossi I think would've made a difference in the 2nd half of that 16/17 season. Cathro insisted on playing from the back but it was just too much ****ing around. Big Blazej wouldn't have put up with that.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Mehdi won a Scottish Cup. Nuff said. :)

That too. A Scottish Cup we would never have won if another much maligned player hadn’t been in our team...

0D48EA76-4760-480C-9D8D-A8DCA2609370.jpeg

Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

That too. A Scottish Cup we would never have won if another much maligned player hadn’t been in our team...

0D48EA76-4760-480C-9D8D-A8DCA2609370.jpeg

Jamie Hamill. Never have I loved and hated a player so much.

Allowayjambo1874
10 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Tzolis. He was clearly too good a player for us and the rest of the players just weren’t on his wavelength. 

Agree but differ slightly. He wanted the game in front of him to make passes and stroll about looking like the man therefore I thought he would have been ideal as a sweeper or centre half. Played in that position once at Rugby Park and it finished 0-0. 

13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Indeed. Did a hell of a lot more than Garry Glen ever did, for example.

Round about the time Ross Glen broke through? Had high hopes for them due to their linghk- up play and thought they’d end up as a deadly combo playing for Roma or similar.

Toxteth O'Grady
9 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I was going to try and defend Obua but just couldn't find anything. Would have a better chance with Kurskis....

Eddie Kurskis - he played a good role of Xmas pantomime Villain versus Inverness and gave Lee Wallace the chance to shine as the hero in goals.

John Sutton. Goals never seemed to flow for him with us, like pretty much most strikers we've had recently, but his link up play was good. That pass for rudi at easter rd being one of them.

Kevin James.

Made a name quickly at Falkirk and came into the spotlight. 

Came to Hearts and made his debut on same day as Darren Jackson in April 1999.

Just didn’t work out and only made 14 apps. Came in at a time the team was toiling after the legendary 98 season. The pressure and expectation maybe too much which limited appearances.

Ian Cathro

It clearly didn't work out and I accept we had to cut our losses but this was down to I'll fortune more than anything. With the fanfare of his arrival it was always going to be tough to hit the ground running. Early mauling of rangers and Motherwell showed the difference Ian was making.

Luck just seemed to go against us at crucial times. We would get back in a game only to lose a freak goal seconds later. A team with more appearances for the club between would have had backbone, but unfortunately we had been shipping players in an out without much thought - Nielson and Levein to blame. 

Anyway, the Cathro effect is plain to see with Wolves' recent success. What could have been..

mauling of rangers

4 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think it was more to do with the standard of the 07/08 team.

Possibly, but my point was more that despite the poor standard, he seemed to come in for more criticism  over  the season than others, despite the weekly evidence that most people thought he was one of our better players. It was like they deleted any decent performance more than a couple of weeks previously from their memory banks. "Ahhhh typical shite from Stewart again, look he's pointing into a space". Despite him maybe scoring an 8, an 8 and a 7 in the previous three games.

Edited by moonraker
bad grammar

48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I can't but hope somebody else can.

David Winnie

His debut was the night that turned out to be the final appearance of Craig Levein if I remember correctly try.  Dunfermline at Tynecastle 

Now a Sports Lawyer based in London 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

His debut was the night that turned out to be the final appearance of Craig Levein if I remember correctly try.  Dunfermline at Tynecastle 

Now a Sports Lawyer based in London 

Hope he has a better defence in law than football. He can defend himself then  :lol:

5 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

Ian Cathro

It clearly didn't work out and I accept we had to cut our losses but this was down to I'll fortune more than anything. With the fanfare of his arrival it was always going to be tough to hit the ground running. Early mauling of rangers and Motherwell showed the difference Ian was making.

Luck just seemed to go against us at crucial times. We would get back in a game only to lose a freak goal seconds later. A team with more appearances for the club between would have had backbone, but unfortunately we had been shipping players in an out without much thought - Nielson and Levein to blame. 

Anyway, the Cathro effect is plain to see with Wolves' recent success. What could have been..

mauling of rangers

Nothing to do with spending millions upon millions and bringing in boys as talented as Ruben Neves?

Mirsad Bešlija, our record signing at £850,000.

Unquestionably Hearts failed to get the best from this understated footballer. He scored no goals in his nine games with us but on the other hand he scored no own goals either. In addition, he made one memorable cross that I seem to remember some forward sliding in to score from. But it might have been my imagination. And I was at the other end of the ground.

It was rumoured that Bešlija was also part of the Romanov money-laundering process. Perhaps this means he was on the cleaning staff as well.

The 'decimated' youth system under Romanov.

Apparently needed rebuilt but its replacement has yet to bring through anybody of the quality of Paterson or Walker or indeed of the second tier of Nicholson, Holt and King.

Carl Fredrickson

Was going to come on and talk about Kenny Black but as someone has already done so I will defend HUGH BURNS. 

Promising young Scottish full back at a Glasgow club who moved to the Famous as part of a deal with Dave MacPherson. Walter Kidd wasnt getting any younger and needed competition and in young Mr Burns we bought the potential future Scotland right back. He was composed, had lots of energy and wasnt scared to get stuck in. 

He signs for us and as a result of John Colquhoun (and others) taking offence at his views on the religious divide in Scotland, he was frozen out of first team action and IIRC ended up playing junior football. 

My second nomination is Craig Thomson......:whistling:

18 hours ago, smiler said:

Andy Watson.

Never really worked out for him, the boy had real talent and ability.

Disagree Watson was pish for us. Signed for the Shite and has done feck all since. Ironically his debut for them ended our 18 in a row derby run iirc. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Was going to come on and talk about Kenny Black but as someone has already done so I will defend HUGH BURNS. 

Promising young Scottish full back at a Glasgow club who moved to the Famous as part of a deal with Dave MacPherson. Walter Kidd wasnt getting any younger and needed competition and in young Mr Burns we bought the potential future Scotland right back. He was composed, had lots of energy and wasnt scared to get stuck in. 

He signs for us and as a result of John Colquhoun (and others) taking offence at his views on the religious divide in Scotland, he was frozen out of first team action and IIRC ended up playing junior football. 

My second nomination is Craig Thomson......:whistling:

He deserved to fail. Mindless bigot, reportedly, who tried to bring his "traditions" to HMFC. Zico, a Catholic, put him straight I believe after an incident with JC. 

And he was shite, anyway. 

Not quite what the op meant but I'll put up a defence for Steven Pressley. 

Magnificent captain, ran himself ragged for the Hearts cause and lifted the Cup in 2006.

Spoke out, with justification imo, about Romanov's bizarre running of the club that he'd come to love and paid the price.

He reacted on his first visit back, which was an unfortunate, emotional response to his treatment and, sadly, wiped 8 years of sterling service in the minds of some of our more sensitive supporters. 

Victor Noreing - apart from one howler against Huns I thought he looked pretty decent, got no game time behind Jack Hamilton and was huckled out the door. Bobby and Doyle give me the heebeegeebees.

2 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Nothing to do with spending millions upon millions and bringing in boys as talented as Ruben Neves?

I was merely defending the indefensible m'lord ;)

Nerijus Barasa. Unfairly tagged as a hatchet man due to his physique and hard-man looks. Always seemed like a composed, solid defender with decent distribution, admittedly not scared to put it around a bit. But, as with so many mentioned above, suffered from the bizarre management at the club at the time.

Definitely agree with the Ksanavicius shout above, thought he was a great wee player. Though he was No. 29, not 28, wasn't he?

Cairneyhill Jambo

Laryea Kingston. He was the most talented player in the league at the time but couldnt be arsed  

Hans Eskilsson. Im pretty sure he missed an open goal in a derby game early in his career and never played in the first team again. Again, someone might correct me if im wrong but im sure he was the reserve league top scorer two years on the trot. 

17 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Nerijus Barasa. Unfairly tagged as a hatchet man due to his physique and hard-man looks. Always seemed like a composed, solid defender with decent distribution, admittedly not scared to put it around a bit. But, as with so many mentioned above, suffered from the bizarre management at the club at the time.

Definitely agree with the Ksanavicius shout above, thought he was a great wee player. Though he was No. 29, not 28, wasn't he?

It was Kestutis Ivaskevicius mentioned above not ksanavicius

2 hours ago, GiantJambo said:

Mirsad Bešlija, our record signing at £850,000.

Unquestionably Hearts failed to get the best from this understated footballer. He scored no goals in his nine games with us but on the other hand he scored no own goals either. In addition, he made one memorable cross that I seem to remember some forward sliding in to score from. But it might have been my imagination. And I was at the other end of the ground.

It was rumoured that Bešlija was also part of the Romanov money-laundering process. Perhaps this means he was on the cleaning staff as well.

What money laundering process and where was the rumour? hibs.net?

Maybe not quite in the indefensible category but Juho Makela - terrific goals to minute ratio and scored v Barcelona. Never got enough of a run in the team.

beniusis - dented confidence early on, showed patches of ability in subsequent cameo appearances.

Jamie Mole - just hadn’t found his level

mike Tullberg - really struggling with that one...

Tiago Costa. Portuguese right back that (I think) played once and assisted a goal.

Signed from the Benfica reserves, a better player than Neilson could dream of being and has since played for Estoril, Rio Ave, Olympiakos Nicosia and Hapoel Tel Aviv.

No idea if that’s in keeping with the point of the thread ?

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Laryea Kingston. He was the most talented player in the league at the time but couldnt be arsed  

Hans Eskilsson. Im pretty sure he missed an open goal in a derby game early in his career and never played in the first team again. Again, someone might correct me if im wrong but im sure he was the reserve league top scorer two years on the trot. 

Certain he made his debut along with Bruno and big Rousett (sp) against maybe Dundee and managed to slide in and hit the side netting when it looked easier to score, on the plus side I believe he is now a top class poker player and has lost the hair.

I'm surprised no one has said Prince Buaben. I actually thought he was one of our best players for 2 and a bit seasons, had a bit of bad luck with injury in last season, was always accused of losing the ball more than others, but this was because he was the one player who always wanted the ball, and was technically very good. I really liked him as a player.