• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Locky

• milky_26

• Carl Fredrickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't get enough of Walkers Roast Chicken these days. Not a flavour I usually go for but had some at a mates in the New Year and can't resist them now.

On 30/07/2019 at 17:07, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is this it? 

These are notes from an inexperienced chilli taster named FRANK, who was visiting Texas from New Jersey and fell into it

"Recently I was lucky enough to be the 10,000th attendee at the State Fair in Texas, and was asked to fill in to be a judge at a chilli cook-off.

Apparently the original judge #3 called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there when the call came in. 

I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that it would be a fun event and a true taste of Texas hospitality.  They assured me that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted.  Here are the scorecards from the event

Chilli # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chilli

JUDGE ONE A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put the flames out.  Hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chilli # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chilli

JUDGE ONE Smoky with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO Exciting BBQ flavour, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK Keep this out of reach of children!  I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to walkie-talkie in 3 extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

Chilli # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

JUDGE ONE Excellent firehouse chilli! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO A beanless chilli, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.

FRANK Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill.  My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now.  Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest.

I'm getting shit-faced.

Chilli # 4 Bubba's Black Magic

JUDGE ONE Black bean chilli with almost no spice.  Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chilli.

FRANK I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the bar maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that

300lb. bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

Chilli # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover

JUDGE ONE Meaty, strong chilli. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO Chilli using shredded beef; could use more tomato.  Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK My ears are ringing, and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chilli had given me brain damage.  Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chilli # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

JUDGE ONE Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chilli.  Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic.

Superb.

FRANK My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

Chilli # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chilli

JUDGE ONE A mediocre chilli with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chilli peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge number 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

FRANK You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chilli which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like sh!t to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me.  I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4 inch hole in my stomach.

Chilli # 8 Helen's Mount Saint Chilli

JUDGE ONE A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chilli, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO This final entry is a good, balanced chilli, neither mild nor hot.

Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chilli pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it.  Poor Yank.

FRANK ------   (editor's note Judge #3 was unable to report)

🤣🤣🤣

• 2 months later...
On 04/02/2022 at 00:11, The White Cockade said:

Twiglets

Yes or No?

A definite yes!  👍

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A definite yes!  👍

I get a tub of these as a gift each Christmas. I scoff them down pretty quickly and find them delicious, but I have to admit that by the time I've finished the tub, I usually don't want to see Twiglets again until the next Christmas. They're nice tasting but I can get too much of them. :)

I wish some company would bring out crisps like Tudor Curry crisps from back in the 80s, they were superb. There was also Marmite crisps and Tomato Puffs, classic snacks.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Golden Wonder?   :rofl:

Oh, c’mon @JamesM48 ffs!

:wink:

😂😂😂 I’ve just ate two packets of smiths square crisps , cheese and onion ! Yummy 

18 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I had pork scratchings for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely rank. Will stick to the crisps.

Traditional old-school pork scratchings are minging.

Pork Crunch is what you want. Much lighter in texture and a larger surface area for flavouring.

Pork-Crunch_NLCK.jpg

Burtons Fish n Chips are still available in some select outlets.

A staple of the school tuck shop.

Anyone remember “Piglets” also in the school tuck shop? They were tiny little hollow snacks in the shape of a piglet. Funnily enough roast beef were the best flavour.

12 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Anyone remember “Piglets” also in the school tuck shop? They were tiny little hollow snacks in the shape of a piglet. Funnily enough roast beef were the best flavour.

928c9d6f39f113956e8548148cf9831b.jpg

17 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I had pork scratchings for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely rank. Will stick to the crisps.

I watched one of those 'How It's Made' documentaries which showed pork scratchings.  The factory had someone at a conveyor belt looking to pull out nipples and hairy bits. I used to like them, but for some reason haven't bought them since.

3 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Only the Salt and Vinegar fish and chips that I see now. I know they're the original flavour but I remember a few years ago they had 6 different flavours at one point. The curry ones were lovely. Pickled onion and ketchup ones were both alright. Brown sauce and the chicken and chips were bowfing.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Poundland often stock both salt&vinegar and pickled onion Burton's fish&chips

Yes they do. They have a good selection of snacks and crisps. 

JudyJudyJudy

Co op on Dalry Road .  Cheese and onion golden wonder 6 pack £1.50.   That's a good deal. 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Co op on Dalry Road .  Cheese and onion golden wonder 6 pack £1.50.   That's a good deal. 

iceland have them for £1.15

New Town Loafer

Tayto cheese and onion is a solid, no nonsense crisp.

But these are the absolute king:

858E4258-86D7-471C-8006-7BB85E1E6477.webp.45000584fce11c04fa4d7581f6284491.webp

With Sunflower Oil running out . . . Are Crisps going to change in flavour ??

😳😳😳

48 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

With Sunflower Oil running out . . . Are Crisps going to change in flavour ??

😳😳😳

I now realise that I’m not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but do I deserve a ‘nighthood’?

54 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I now realise that I’m not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but do I deserve a ‘nighthood’?

:facepalm:

56 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is that it?

:vrface:

Pretty much no idea what your waffling about.

Waffle on though.

39 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Pretty much no idea what your waffling about.

Waffle on though.

Thanks, I will do.  👍

I’m like a wee terrier once I get the bit between my teeth.

bobby bombscare

this is what i need to see on a Sunday. A 10 page thread on crisps! For what it's worth, golden wonder smoky bacon are the business! 

2 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

this is what i need to see on a Sunday. A 10 page thread on crisps! For what it's worth, golden wonder smoky bacon are the business! 

Golden Wonder!

Here, @JamesM48, you’ve got a fellow fan!  😉

5 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Prawn cocktail giant wotsits back out again, used to love them as a kid, can’t seem to find them anywhere though 😤

I saw them somewhere last week. That's as much as I can remember.

jamtartan74
56 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I saw them somewhere last week. That's as much as I can remember.

And u didn’t even think to pick me some up 🙄 thanks for nuffin 😜

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

This is a serious crisp thread for serious crisps. Let's have no more of the Golden Wonder nonsense clogging it up.

Had some Salty Dog crisps the other night, not bad. Not as good as genuine salted dog, which I've eaten a couple of times in the past. 🐶

I agree.

I’m just having a wee and gentle dig at James!  😎

I’m not what one would call a big crisp eater, but, we were in Edinburgh two weeks ago and had Sea salt and Chardonnay ones from Scotmid, which were mouth-drawlingly sharp and bloody good.  Also, Tesco did a couple of cracking bags at a pound a shot.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Those Scotmid ones are great. Haven't indulged for a while and currently trying to get myself in shape for this year's long-distance hike next month, so trying to stay away from them!

The fact that the missus hates S&V crisps is both a blessing and a curse at times.

Y’know what, J?

Our better half’s are there to be both blessed, and cursed, in equal measure.

I would rather die than be without mine though.  :sad: 

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Y’know what, J?

Our better half’s are there to be both blessed, and cursed, in equal measure.

I would rather die than be without mine though.  :sad: 

My son asked me once what I'd rate as the key to a successful life.  I advised him to marry well.  He asked why, to which I replied "well, it worked for me".  Just putting that out there, as they say.

21 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

And u didn’t even think to pick me some up 🙄 thanks for nuffin 😜

I remembered. Was Sainsbury's at Cameron Toll, day before the semi final.

5 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

1315151257_IMG_2494(1).thumb.JPG.c149c7c949952b3de0fe005c0e06764a.JPG

Anyone remember those . From around 1991 still unopened

Get them in the museum!

132goals1958
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Get them in the museum!

As long as I am excluded from Liability if anyone eats them.

17 hours ago, jonesy said:

Nicely put. Hope you're both doing well.

Thanks.

Yes, both fine thanks.  I trust you two are as well?

17 hours ago, Ulysses said:

My son asked me once what I'd rate as the key to a successful life.  I advised him to marry well.  He asked why, to which I replied "well, it worked for me".  Just putting that out there, as they say.

Good philosophy.

The funny thing is, when I introduced my (at the time) girlfriend to my parents, many years ago, my dad didn't think she was 'good enough' for me!

He couldn't have been more wrong.  She has saved me so many times, in so many ways, it's just unbelievable.