Prison officers club closed down.

Tams bird

To all our members/customers, it is with much regret and a heavy heart that we have to inform you all of the closure of the Edinburgh Prison Officers Social Club! To all those who have pre-booked our function hall, we will be in touch with you over the next couple of days or you could contact us yourself to arrange the return of your deposit and if you wish we will hopefully be able to help you find another venue! We are obviously not in a position via this mode to explain the exact circumstances that have led to this regrettable scenario but unfortunately, as with a lot of other small businesses all over Britain, we are now not in a financial position that will allow us to continue to trade! Our financial situation has never been that great but we have found the last couple of years very difficult indeed, we tried everything we could to continue trading and we were always optimistic that we could manage/continue to trade but the simple fact is that it is now not possible. We thank you all sincerely for all of your support and custom since April 2014.

Not a great fan of the place but it means one less place to have a pint post match when we're no exactly spoilt for choice already. 

Seymour M Hersh

Was this the club that survived for years at the Longstone roundabout but has only managed a couple of years in McLeod St? Something suspicious maybe?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

Not a great fan of the place but it means one less place to have a pint post match when we're no exactly spoilt for choice already. 

As football grounds go Tynie is pretty well served for watering holes within 5 to 10 minutes walk.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
16 hours ago, been here before said:

Not sure i famcy our new stand being used by private members clubs on maych days. Surely better for the club to use the space.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

As football grounds go Tynie is pretty well served for watering holes within 5 to 10 minutes walk.

That's a matter of opinion I suppose but if you compare to easter road for instance there's not that many decent battle cruisers in Gorgie

5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was this the club that survived for years at the Longstone roundabout but has only managed a couple of years in McLeod St? Something suspicious maybe?

Nothing suspicious the prison service at the time were adamant they were closing all prison clubs in Scotland the staff at Edinburgh fought hard to keep the club at longstone open but they were shut down, Determined to carry on they managed to secure the building on McLeod Street and re-open unfortunately after almost five years the financial climate has taken it's toll, sad outcome.

• 8 months later...
portobellojambo1

Someone at work was telling me today that what was The Prison Officer's Club in McLeod Street will be reopening in the not too distant future. From what I was told the license has been purchased by whoever it is that owns The Scotsman's Lounge in Cockburn Street. However, she was unsure if it will be opening again as a social club, a function suite or just a boozer.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Someone at work was telling me today that what was The Prison Officer's Club in McLeod Street will be reopening in the not too distant future. From what I was told the license has been purchased by whoever it is that owns The Scotsman's Lounge in Cockburn Street. However, she was unsure if it will be opening again as a social club, a function suite or just a boozer.

if your information is correct then I think the Scotsman Lounge is owned by Quiet Man Taverns with 2 owners / directors

Brothers Daniel Martin McNally and Finbarr McNally

The Perch, McNally

they also own the Kilted Pig and the Perch Restaurant on Hanover Street

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

I know a couple of folk who work in the above pubs and they are all Jambos so may well be the owners are too.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

I know a couple of folk who work in the above pubs and they are all Jambos so may well be the owners are too.

One supports Man Utd and the other Man Utd/Celtic .  .both good lads though .

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, Iamborg said:

Are they ****. 😁

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Iamborg said:

Plastic supporters. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jamborich said:

Believe the premises on McLeod Street is opening for tomorrow nights game 

Might seem a silly question but Can anybody get in or is it a membership reqd?

On 03/12/2019 at 13:41, jamborich said:

Believe the premises on McLeod Street is opening for tomorrow nights game 

Is it still a shit hole?

16 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Another pub bites the dust. 

Gutted if it goes

Wheaters Telecomms Club and Chesser all closed 

23 minutes ago, the general said:

Gutted if it goes

Wheaters Telecomms Club and Chesser all closed 

The pub business is mainly focused on beer ‘emporiums’ and food these days it seems.