Jamie Walker

Roxy Hearts

Thought Police
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Talking of Cummings and Walker, I still cannot believe Cummings has 2 Scotland caps and Walker hasn't even been in a squad. Walker was at one point the best attacking midfielder in Scotland, scoring regularly in the top league.

Cummings has a grand total of 2 Scottish Premiership goals. One of the most over-rated players I can think of.

I can very much believe that Jamie Walker has never made a Scotland squad

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• jambocub

• Bongo 1874

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Talking of Cummings and Walker, I still cannot believe Cummings has 2 Scotland caps and Walker hasn't even been in a squad. Walker was at one point the best attacking midfielder in Scotland, scoring regularly in the top league.

Cummings has a grand total of 2 Scottish Premiership goals. One of the most over-rated players I can think of.

I like him as a player. 17 appearances with 6 goals for Peterborough ain’t too bad a strike rate. Think he’s maybe a bit of a lose cannon off the pitch and that has held him back. Rodgers managed to get Griffiths to take a more professional approach to his game and it really paid of for a season or so, Cummings needs a similar figure.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He’s managed to get a loan deal for three separate clubs whilst signed to Hearts so the assumption would be that he will get offers when he is a free agent. The current spell with Motherwell does seem to be significantly less successful though.

The original comment was that he would be offloaded in January to free up wages, none of the three clubs are likely to offer him a 18-24 month contract in January are they? I can’t see anyone offering a way out in January, or him taking a pay cut to do so. He’s much more likely to wait until the summer.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

I like him as a player. 17 appearances with 6 goals for Peterborough ain’t too bad a strike rate. Think he’s maybe a bit of a lose cannon off the pitch and that has held him back. Rodgers managed to get Griffiths to take a more professional approach to his game and it really paid of for a season or so, Cummings needs a similar figure.

I honesty don't rate him. Can't play as a lone striker and can't play well with a partner. That's why almost his entire career so far has been spent in the lower Scottish an English leagues so far. As I say, incredible he got capped by Scotland for scoring goals in the Scottish Championship.

Has anyone ever thought to themselves that maybe his time at Wigan hasn't worked out and he regrets it big time he never refused to play he played even though we had a shit team ok his head went that's football gone are the days of footballers showing loyalty to clubs etc its all about money now we are very lucky to have berra and that he has made his money and spent it wisely and it will be the same with naismith if he signs too. 

6 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

I can very much believe that Jamie Walker has never made a Scotland squad

I get he left under a cloud but he was mostly good when he broke into the team and good to brilliant in the season and a half before Neilson left. I doubt we'll have a midfielder who scores so regularly for a while. Point is, much worse players have been capped when not in as good form.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The original comment was that he would be offloaded in January to free up wages, none of the three clubs are likely to offer him a 18-24 month contract in January are they? I can’t see anyone offering a way out in January, or him taking a pay cut to do so. He’s much more likely to wait until the summer.

We wouldn’t be able  to offload him in January due to the loan contract with Motherwell. I think the loan fees or wage contributions from the three loan deals will have offset a big chunk of Sammon’s wages and he probably hasn’t been as big a financial disaster as it has been made out. Oshiniwa on the other hand ... retired now? 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We wouldn’t be able  to offload him in January due to the loan contract with Motherwell. I think the loan fees or wage contributions from the three loan deals will have offset a big chunk of Sammon’s wages and he probably hasn’t been as big a financial disaster as it has been made out. Oshiniwa on the other hand ... retired now? 

That’s a fair point too. He wasn’t a as expensive a mistake as Oshiniwa but it’s unlikeky there was much financial contribution from the three clubs towards his wages. I actually feel sorry for Oshiniwa, nobody forced us to give him that contract and he didn’t kick a ball again.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s a fair point too. He wasn’t a as expensive a mistake as Oshiniwa but it’s unlikeky there was much financial contribution from the three clubs towards his wages. I actually feel sorry for Oshiniwa, nobody forced us to give him that contract and he didn’t kick a ball again.

I’d love to get the full story on Oshiniwa. From playing in a World Cup to failing completely at Hearts and never playing again. Obua was the same, left Hearts at 28 and never played again. 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jason Cummings has also been on Peterborough’s bench more often than he’s been on the pitch and he would definitely have improved us over the last two months. Think folk underestimate the quality of players in the English lower legaues. Same folk who were kicking off because we’d signed players from Luton and Cambridge. Didn’t see anyone complaining about an ex Luton player last night.

Quite the opposite. Too many people VASTLY over exaggerate the quality of the English lower leagues. League 1 is shit.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’d love to get the full story on Oshiniwa. From playing in a World Cup to failing completely at Hearts and never playing again. Obua was the same, left Hearts at 28 and never played again. 

He time without a club is at an end, he is back in Nigeria playing for Akwa United.

Jason Cummings has also been on Peterborough’s bench more often than he’s been on the pitch and he would definitely have improved us over the last two months. Think folk underestimate the quality of players in the English lower legaues. Same folk who were kicking off because we’d signed players from Luton and Cambridge. Didn’t see anyone complaining about an ex Luton player last night.

Peterborough are really poor.

Jason Cummings gets odd sub appearances and contributes jack shit to them. He's disinterested and lazy, he'd have contributed very, very little to us.

People overestimate the lower English leagues imo. I'm willing to accept football is a game of opinions but I respectfully disagree with your assertion. Peterborough are a poor team on the whole. Hearts would beat them 9 times out of 10, they have some players who'd maybe make the step up and be of value to us... players who can't get into their starting 11 are of absolutely no use to us whatsoever.

Edited by Taffin

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Quite the opposite. Too many people VASTLY overextended the quality of the English lower leagues. League 1 is shit.

Yet Ozturk, Walker and Cunmings who were all regular starters in Scotland are getting little game time in Legaue One. 

Yet Ozturk, Walker and Cunmings who were all regular starters in Scotland are getting little game time in Legaue One. 

Yes. That's the way it goes sometimes. Just like James Collins is decent at that level but was utter shite up here.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Peterborough are really poor.

Jason Cummings gets odd sub appearances and contributes jack shit to them. He's disinterested and lazy, he'd have contributed very, very little to us.

People overestimate the lower English leagues imo. I'm willing to accept football is a game of opinions but I respectfully disagree with your assertion. Peterborough are a poor team on the whole. Hearts would beat them 9 times out of 10, they have some players who'd maybe make the step up and be of value to us... players who can't get into their starting 11 are of absolutely no use to us whatsoever.

Olly Lee and Uche both came from Legaue Two and have been very astute signings so I think it’s safe to say that plenty of League One players would improve our squad as well. Peterborough are a few points behind Sunderland who have McGeough and McLaughlin, two absolute stand out Scottish Premiership players, playing for them so I don’t think they can be that bad? 

BonningtonJambo
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

dylan mcgeouch is down there as well and he definitely would of improved us last season,theres alot of players playing in that league that would improve us now to

Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Yes. That's the way it goes sometimes. Just like James Collins is decent at that level but was utter shite up here.

Hibs have an uncanny ability to make decent players appear absolutely crap. Sol Bamba and Docherty (5-1 Hampden Hero) are both having decent season in the EPL.

Hibs have an uncanny ability to make decent players appear absolutely crap. Sol Bamba and Docherty (5-1 Hampden Hero) are both having decent season in the EPL.

Vaz Te at Hibs too. There's been others at other Scottish clubs too though. People really do VASTLY overestimate the lower leagues down there.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Yup. Add in League One (and all of the lower league in general) have large squads due to the number of games they play so it can be hard for some players to get a regular run of games so they cant get up to speed and so the club can see these players as useless and move on to the next player when they haven't been given a decent chance.

Take each player as it comes.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Olly Lee and Uche both came from Legaue Two and have been very astute signings so I think it’s safe to say that plenty of League One players would improve our squad as well. Peterborough are a few points behind Sunderland who have McGeough and McLaughlin, two absolute stand out Scottish Premiership players, playing for them so I don’t think they can be that bad? 

Uche has only played a few months for us and was really good but neefs to prove himself over a longer period and olly Lee is a very average player capable of some great things who's done us a solid turn in most games. They were both starters and important players for the respective clubs though. Walker and Cummings aren't.

There are players at Peterborough who would do us a turn and I'd be happy to take a gamble on. Walker would be my 3rd pick of Peterborough wingers which says a lot.

I'm willing to accept I've only been to a handful of Peterborough games so will happily defer to those who have been to more but I can only base my opinion on what I've seen.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Uche has only played a few months for us and was really good but neefs to prove himself over a longer period and olly Lee is a very average player capable of some great things who's done us a solid turn in most games. They were both starters and important players for the respective clubs though. Walker and Cummings aren't.

There are players at Peterborough who would do us a turn and I'd be happy to take a gamble on. Walker would be my 3rd pick of Peterborough wingers which says a lot.

I'm willing to accept I've only been to a handful of Peterborough games so will happily defer to those who have been to more but I can only base my opinion on what I've seen.

Yeah they both came from League Two and were standouts for their respective teams. Following that logic League One teams will have fringe players that would improve us. Our last signing from Peterborough has turned out to be a pretty astute signing. Would disagree on Lee. His form of late hasn’t been as good but he’s scored five goals and had six assists so far and I can see him pushing on in 2019. He had a lot of very good moments in the game last night and will thrive on knockdowns from Vanacek or Uche as he’s bursting into the box.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

17 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Knew the Sunderland card would be played. About as far from a typical League 1 club as you can get ordinarily.

A massive club, with a massive budget, compared to other League One teams (Luton), who are struggling to finish in the top two currently. That is only adding support to the argument that League One is very competitive and of a high standard. Using block capitals doesn’t add any weight to your argument.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Yeah they both came from League Two and were standouts for their respective teams. Following that logic League One teams will have fringe players that would improve us. Our last signing from Peterborough has turned out to be a prettt astute signing. Would disagree on Lee. His form of late hasn’t been as good but he’s scored five goals and had six assists so far and I can see him pushing on in 2019. He had a lot of very good moments in the game last night and will thrive on knockdowns from Vanacek or Uche as he’s bursting into the box.

2 league goals, the rest were against lower league fodder I'm sure.

Luton are a better team than Peterborough and they would have loved to have kept Lee, he'd be a starter for them this season. He's very much league one standard who was playing in a league one standard team last season.

League one players may well be good signings for Hearts but the quality quickly drops away outside the starting 11, which is exactly where the likes of Walker and Cummings reside. With all due respect (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I feel you are basing a lot of your opinion on stats and looking at league tables rather than watching much English lower league football. The quality is really, really poor most of the time. I live in he Midlands and consume as much of this dross as I can live, usually the Posh as my partners dad is a fan.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A massive club, with a massive budget compared to other League One teams (Luton) who are struggling to finish in the top two currently adding support to the argument that League One is very competitive and of a high standard. Using block capitals doesn’t add any weight to your argument.

Capital's are down to me getting to grips with the strange sensitivity of my new tablet. Please ignore. Hard to edit things too.

league one is not a high standard though, I'm sorry. Taffin has called it correctly, and JiG too. There are individuals  down there who are worth a punt, but the majority are below the level we are at in top six Premiership, and that's despite their bulging squads.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

Again wouldn’t the problem with Walker be, that if he’s rubbish there’s no point & if he’s good he’d inevitably become unsettled when sevco flashed their knickers at him. 

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

2 league goals, the rest were against lower league fodder I'm sure.

Luton are a better team than Peterborough and they would have loved to have kept Lee, he'd be a starter for them this season. He's very much league one standard who was playing in a league one standard team last season.

League one players may well be good signings for Hearts but the quality quickly drops away outside the starting 11, which is exactly where the likes of Walker and Cummings reside. With all due respect (and please correct me if I'm wrong) but I feel you are basing a lot of your opinion on stats and looking at league tables rather than watching much English lower league football. The quality is really, really poor most of the time. I live in he Midlands and consume as much of this dross as I can live, usually the Posh as my partners dad is a fan.

Based on a combination of factors; highlights shows, occasional live games, the stats / league tables and the fact that players like Ozturk, Walker and Cummings are spending a lot of time on the bench. A British League Cup would be a great way to determine a lot of these debates. See how Hearts fared against a decent League One side or Decent Championship side.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Based on a combination of factors; highlights shows, occasional live games, the stats / league tables and the fact that players like Ozturk, Walker and Cummings are spending a lot of time on the bench. A British League Cup would be a great way to determine a lot of these debates. See how Hearts fared against a decent League One side or Decent Championship side.

You need a bit of time to adapt to the football. Like Sean Clare is and I think Olly Lee is too.

So Cup games don't tell you much. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You need a bit of time to adapt to the football. Like Sean Clare is and I think Olly Lee is too.

So Cup games don't tell you much. 

I think Hearts v Swansea would give a pretty good indication of who the better team was, especially if it was a two legged affair. Aberdeen held their own against Burnley but it’s since transpired that Burnley are EPL cannon fodder and will most likely be a Championship team again next season.

Pasquale for King

I didn’t know that about Obua, I know the money he was earning was allowing him to build a big house for a small sum. I know they made great money from us, Obua probably twice as much, but surely not enough never to play again?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I didn’t know that about Obua, I know the money he was earning was allowing him to build a big house for a small sum. I know they made great money from us, Obua probably twice as much, but surely not enough never to play again?

Thats just based on Wikipedia to be honest but looks accurate unless he’s played for a few African teams and the Wiki page has never been updated? Michael Stewart retired pretty young as well just after earning his Vlad Dollars!

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Obua made abit. I think it's more a case of nobody wanted him that he never got another club though, he was awful

Edited by rudi must stay

7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Completely agree on that, would be an excellent watch ?

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You don't really know, do you?

9 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Unrelated to the thread on Walker but I’d rather have a British League Cup and the Scottish Cup instead of the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup. 

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Again wouldn’t the problem with Walker be, that if he’s rubbish there’s no point & if he’s good he’d inevitably become unsettled when sevco flashed their knickers at him. 

That would always be my concern. If we take him on loan and he does the business for us we would undoubtedly be teeing him up for Sevco. The downturn in his form and application here was startling after Sevco took an interest in him and his agent was working to get him a move to there.  I will however trust Levein on this. I don't think he would bother signing anyone who would sell the club short.

Sky Sports reporting he's been recalled by parent club Wigan.   Strange move as doubt he will get a game for them.  Maybe it was just a 6 mth loan period.    

4 minutes ago, livi said:

Sky Sports reporting he's been recalled by parent club Wigan.   Strange move as doubt he will get a game for them.  Maybe it was just a 6 mth loan period.    

Though Wigan are struggling near bottom, just 4 points off relegation place. 

Plus he is hardly getting into squad at Peterborough. 

Walter Bishop
8 minutes ago, livi said:

They have maybe had an offer from another club for him? 

Just now, Walter Bishop said:

He played (1 game) earlier in season for Wigan. It seems you are only allowed to play for 2 clubs in a season. So it's Wigan or back to Peterborough on loan  for this season. 

49 minutes ago, livi said:

Sounds like he could be on his way back here then? No use to Wigan if he's on loan a league below...

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, livi said:

Peterborough probably wanted him off the wage bill so they could get someone who will contribute.

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Peterborough probably wanted him off the wage bill so they could get someone who will contribute.

Yep and he'll be nowhere near us anytime soon.

On 31/12/2018 at 09:43, King prawn said:

Unrelated to the thread on Walker but I’d rather have a British League Cup and the Scottish Cup instead of the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup. 

Add British leagues to that too

It should have been ten
6 minutes ago, Dunks said:

British leagues and/or cups can GTF as far as I am concerned :thumbsup:

Agreed and whilst on the subject of Jamie Walker he can also GTF :thumbsup:

Edited by It should have been ten

9 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Who? Edinburgh City?