Most irritating sayings or expressions

Muppetboy

5 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

When you've been looking for something for ages, getting totally to your wits end and someone asks.....'where did you last see it?'.

If I knew that I wouldn't still be f*****g looking for it!!!

Add to this the massive tit who'll say "I bet it will be in the last place you look"

Arseholes.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• ri Alban

• Dawnrazor

• Marvin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think the justification for this is an algebraic thing. If you’re writing a formula where x represents a pound and you have five of them, it’d be 5x...I think I might have got that from  an Irishman justifying his use of “five Euro” rather than “five Euros” many years ago, not sure.

Correct.

Plus, saying ‘pound’ in the plural just sounds so wrong. Unless it is one pound, then it has to be said plurally, surely?

’It costs 100 pound’ - wrong.

’It cost 100 pounds’ - correct.

On 25/12/2018 at 07:12, crunchy frog said:

"Can I ask a quick question?"

I usually hit back with "was that it?" Then ignore them

My stock response is "You just did."

A wee bit wanky, but if it promotes accuracy I'm for it.

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Correct.

Plus, saying ‘pound’ in the plural just sounds so wrong. Unless it is one pound, then it has to be said plurally, surely?

Yip. ( I hope that doesn't irritate anyone :) )

Some folk I've met in the past would say ' It costs 100 Bar'.  I thought pressure was measured in Bars.

18 hours ago, Aaron78 said:

When you've been looking for something for ages, getting totally to your wits end and someone asks.....'where did you last see it?'.

If I knew that I wouldn't still be f*****g looking for it!!!

I don't mind that at all (if combined with a "when did you last see it?"). It provides contextual information which allows you to figure out where it might be. Otherwise it could be like a needle in a haystack if someone just says "I've lost something" but doesn't let you know where and when they last saw it and what they've been doing since.

"Eh" my mother inlaw has stayed with us for nearly 2 weeks . Everything you say to her "eh" . You have to repeat everything but she can hear whats being said in the kitchen and listen to 3 peoples conversations at once ? " eh" followed after repeating what you said with " aye a ken " ?  ?

Edited by Hector Riva

1 minute ago, Hector Riva said:

"Eh" my mother inlaw has stayed with us for nearly 2 weeks . Everything you say to her "eh" . You have to repeat everything but she can hear whats being said in the kitchen and listen to 3 peoples conversations at once ? " eh" ?

Sounds like she hears you perfectly but she's just making herself some time to think.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sounds like she hears you perfectly but she's just making herself some time to think.

Hears everything bud. 

2 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

"Eh" my mother inlaw has stayed with us for nearly 2 weeks . Everything you say to her "eh" . You have to repeat everything but she can hear whats being said in the kitchen and listen to 3 peoples conversations at once ? " eh" followed after repeating what you said with " aye a ken " ?  ?

That annoys me too.

My father starts saying "eh" before you've completed a sentence. 

People saying “Hi guys” in restaurants when I’m out with me Mrs and daughter. Just say Everyone or Folks ya ****nugget!

My daughter now says “literally” so much I want to punch her in the face

Edited by Jamhammer

21 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I think I might have got that from  an Irishman justifying his use of “five Euro” rather than “five Euros” many years ago, not sure.

When the euro was being adopted, the Irish Department of Finance decided that the plural forms of "euro" and "cent" would be the same as the singular.  They said that was supposed to be in line with EU Regulations, but some other countries and languages don't follow the practice.

But whatever you do, don't start the word "euro" with a capital letter.  ;)

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

When the euro was being adopted, the Irish Department of Finance decided that the plural forms of "euro" and "cent" would be the same as the singular.  They said that was supposed to be in line with EU Regulations, but some other countries and languages don't follow the practice.

But whatever you do, don't start the word "euro" with a capital letter.  ;)

Aye, I’d never write Dollar or Pound, but always Euro with an uppercase E...mental. I’m a changed man from this day forward!

On 25/12/2018 at 22:24, Morgan said:

Correct.

It costs £100

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It costs £100

You are of course correct when it is written down.

You are of course wrong when saying it.

::troll::

5 hours ago, Alex said:

'There's nothing worse than..... " followed by something that there is like literally thousands of things worse than. 

Aye ! You're right, there's nothing worse than that...

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

People who say "one hundred squid" are annoying.

I mean generally, not just for saying it.

that makes me rather annoying :laugh:

I P Knightley
On 24/12/2018 at 11:22, Cheile said:

Addressing a group of men and women as guys!! FFS

Would you prefer "Guys'n'Gals"? It tends not to go down so well nowadays. Especially not if followed with a, "hee-urr-ee-urr, now then , now  then."

7 hours ago, Alex said:

'There's nothing worse than..... " followed by something that there is like literally thousands of things worse than. 

If people say that, then I often reply with an example of something that's worse than, say, stubbing your toe, e.g.:

"Ouch! I can't think of anything worse than stubbing your toe."

"I'd say the 6 million tortured and killed in the nazi concentration camps would rank slightly worse than that."

Pet hates.

Surely, you should have just one?

My wife has over ten and each one is worse than the others depending on what situation she is in.

Todays ‘pet hate’ was waiting for trains.

34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Pet hates.

My wife has over ten and each one is worse than the others depending on what situation she is in.

As it’s the irritating expressions thread, I should have typed ‘My pet hate is....’

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Pet hates.

People using over when they mean more than is one of mine.

People who post:

"end of."

"close thread."

"... Is the correct answer."

as if no one else is entitled to a contrary opinion or is allowed to post. Just stop it, okay?

11 hours ago, 56anawthat said:

People who post:

"end of."

"close thread."

as if no one else is entitled to a contrary opinion or is allowed to post. Just stop it, okay?

Add to that FACT

12 hours ago, 56anawthat said:

People who post:

"end of."

"close thread."

also "This!"

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

also "This!"

Yes, far too terse! Much better to use something like "I wholeheartedly concur with the aforementioned sentiment".

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yes, far too terse! Much better to use something like "I wholeheartedly concur with the aforementioned sentiment".

This! 

::troll::

On 26/12/2018 at 12:14, Hector Riva said:

She's gone . At the airport I said "Its been nice having you" she answered  "eh".I didnt repeat and said "See you soon"  replied "Aye a ken " ffs ?

Sawdust Caesar
15 hours ago, 56anawthat said:

People who post:

"end of."

"close thread."

Also, people who ask a question and answer it in the same post, e.g. Does anyone think that's a good idea? Nah, didn't think so.

Francis Albert

Just read something about the BJP Hindu extremists attempts to distort in schools the history of the role of muslim moghul rulers in favour of a hindu interpretation. The article ends with the claim this abuses the rights of the more than 200 milion Indians who "do not identify as Hindus". Why not just who "are not Hindus"? This "identifying as" usage is spreading fast.

luckyBatistuta

Mother in law says... ‘ken whit a mean’ after what seems like every sentence.

and 

folk starting every sentence with... ‘by the way’

:facepalm:

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:13, Jamhammer said:

I used to work with someone who'd use literally in every sentence. As you say it gets to the point you want to smack them in the coupon.  

He was entitled to go down.

Aye ok. When I trip over a paving stone am I entitled to hit the deck and make an insurance claim? "I felt the contact...." 

On 26/12/2018 at 14:13, Jamhammer said:

People saying “Hi guys” in restaurants when I’m out with me Mrs and daughter. Just say Everyone or Folks ya ****nugget!

"Literally" is not misused as much as it was a few years ago, thankfully.

Two of the bad ones I remember were, "I was so mad that my head literally exploded", and "That woman was so gutsy. She literally had balls."

Francis Albert
38 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Scotrail announcer. 

See it. Say it. Sorted. 

My feckin arse. 

Should be. 

See it. Feck it. Missed it coz it wiz cancelled ya wanks.

It isn't just Scotrail but all over the rail network. The worst thing is that someone may have been paid to come up with this drivel.

Thunderstruck
On 28/12/2018 at 02:17, Francis Albert said:

People who say "one hundred squid" are annoying.

I mean generally, not just for saying it.

That reminds me of another - 

‘It was a damp squid’.

I would think that squid (squids?) are at their best when damp. Squibs on the other hand...